Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Moiraine is here to kick rear end and chew bubblegum, and they haven't invented bubblegum in this cycle yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If there's not enough Sanderson discussion, we can play the choose your superpower game.

Which magical ability would you want to have?

For me it's Feruchemy. Suffering under an unbearably hot summer day (like I'm doing for two weeks now :argh:)? Just store the excess warmth in your metalmind. Surprised by a cold spell in winter? Tap the stored warmth.

Storing memories has a host of useful applications. Storing calories makes dieting a non-issue, storing wakefulness in preparation to an upcoming long day is super useful, and storing health in small chunks for emergencies is insanely good.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Might be more fun if we limit it to just one cause otherwise yea, feruchemy as a whole wins it for utility hands down.

If we limit it - probably a soother, low key mind control would solve a lot of stuff. Or steel pushing/lashing just for the coolness factor of getting to fly.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I would like the power to remove all fantasy novels from existence.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A human heart posted:

Cool. Cool.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

A human heart posted:

So Ruin, then?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Hemalurgy counts as one?

Edit: Seriously though, what was the name of the one with the stamps that rewrite history?

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 25, 2018

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Chernabog posted:

Hemalurgy counts as one?

Edit: Seriously though, what was the name of the one with the stamps that rewrite history?

Forgery

edit: also

Leng posted:

Here's Sanderson talking about his views on creating magic systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXAcA_y3l6M&t=142s (it's from his BYU lectures which if you're interesting in writing is pretty interesting to watch)

This is pretty good. I might not agree with his points 100%, but even he admits that this is just a subjective framework for making interesting stories. He's absolutely spot-on with his comparison of Two Towers vs Return of the King in terms of earned vs. unearned resolutions of conflicts.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 25, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

If there's not enough Sanderson discussion, we can play the choose your superpower game.

Which magical ability would you want to have?

For me it's Feruchemy. Suffering under an unbearably hot summer day (like I'm doing for two weeks now :argh:)? Just store the excess warmth in your metalmind. Surprised by a cold spell in winter? Tap the stored warmth.

Storing memories has a host of useful applications. Storing calories makes dieting a non-issue, storing wakefulness in preparation to an upcoming long day is super useful, and storing health in small chunks for emergencies is insanely good.

Would we have access to all of the necessary stuff to make full use of those powers? Because Breath and Feruchemy don't have limits on their power and both also provide access to immortality if so. With enough speed and strength stored up it's possible a Feruchemist could take down a Mistborn that's burning all metals, including atium, because they'd be able to burst everything in a second, if that, to move like The Flash hitting with Superman-level strength with their target just kind of going to pieces or a fine pink mist. Though doing a burst of power that extreme might cause problems for the feruchemist's body too.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Would we have access to all of the necessary stuff to make full use of those powers? Because Breath and Feruchemy don't have limits on their power and both also provide access to immortality if so. With enough speed and strength stored up it's possible a Feruchemist could take down a Mistborn that's burning all metals, including atium, because they'd be able to burst everything in a second, if that, to move like The Flash hitting with Superman-level strength with their target just kind of going to pieces or a fine pink mist. Though doing a burst of power that extreme might cause problems for the feruchemist's body too.

Quibbling (because why not) but Breath and Feruchemy don't allow for immortality by themselves. You need Allomancy and atium to compound the Feruchemy for that trick, and for Breath you need to die and be Returned to get that brand of immortality (subject to being able to keep getting Breaths or equivalent).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think I'd still go with Breath just so you can have perfect pitch and see colors like never before.

It basically just sounds like some bitchin' :catdrugs:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hate to be that nerd, but actually there is a limit on Feruchemy, you can't tap everything and get a massive burst in the same way that you can Duraluminium enhance a steelpush (Vin) or atium (Elend):

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/9-calamity-philadelphia-signing/#e7602

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/105-17th-shard-forum-qa/#e1096

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/175-oathbringer-houston-signing/#e8380

I pick Elsecalling (can I do that? I mean technically it's two powers, Transformation and Transportation, and a resonance between the two). Free food and free travel to wherever, what more could a girl want? Lightweaver would be fun as well.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Aon-Dor is pretty much traditional D&D wizardry so that's pretty great, but you balance the limitless usage over the geographical limitations.

But I mean why would I want to travel when I can be a shiny wizard at home?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

bitprophet posted:

I've tried reading through WoT about 3 times now, each time giving up a book or two short of double digits. That all predated Sanderson's wrap-up (and any of my own reading of any Sanderson) so I've been gently eyeballing a 4th attempt for a while now.

Related, a personal WoT anecdote spurred by RC Cola's declaration: I was introduced to WoT by my childhood best friend. Then in college I introduced him to his now-wife (a co-worker of mine) because they shared a ton of interests, including severe WoT fandom. They've now got 2 kids named Matrim (Mat) and Nynaeve (Nina). It's all my fault.

Your best friend and his wife sound awesome. At least they didn't name their children Moghedien or Aviendha.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Your best friend and his wife sound awesome. At least they didn't name their children Moghedien or Aviendha.

Fun fact, my boss named his kids Aviendha and Madic.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
One of the more broken twin born combos would be double Chromium. Allomancy Chromium lets you destroy other allomacers metals by touch, which is meh, but the Feruchemy allows you to store luck. With compounding you could build a luck engine that allows you to store absurd amounts of luck to the point where if anything started happening you would throw your luck to million and everything would just work out randomly.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Pash posted:

One of the more broken twin born combos would be double Chromium. Allomancy Chromium lets you destroy other allomacers metals by touch, which is meh, but the Feruchemy allows you to store luck. With compounding you could build a luck engine that allows you to store absurd amounts of luck to the point where if anything started happening you would throw your luck to million and everything would just work out randomly.

Wait. That's it.

Mistborn Series 4 (scifi-era) will have their interstellar drives powered by Infinite Improbability.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
In other words being a chromium compounder makes you Mat Cauthon? (No escape from Wheel of Time chat! No escape!!!)

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I mean yeah, but let's look at it from a broader perspective. RJ had a character whose super power was basically plot armor and got some mileage out of subverting that trope in an interesting way. Sanderson went a step further and built plot armor as a power into his magic system for any lucky person in the Cosmere to access.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I want the magic power where I can talk to wolves and do cool wolf stuff, but I’d waste it by sitting around being an angsty baby.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OAquinas posted:

Quibbling (because why not) but Breath and Feruchemy don't allow for immortality by themselves. You need Allomancy and atium to compound the Feruchemy for that trick, and for Breath you need to die and be Returned to get that brand of immortality (subject to being able to keep getting Breaths or equivalent).

Returned are equal to a 5th awakening but you can reach it without being a Returned. Getting that much breath isn't going to be easy though.

Could've sworn that a Feruchemist could store time in Atium as well for agelessness but that the Lord Ruler was able to combine Allomancy in to the mix which also gave him his near invincibility since he could also potentially burn away the stored time safely. :shrug:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

OAquinas posted:

Wait. That's it.

Mistborn Series 4 (scifi-era) will have their interstellar drives powered by Infinite Improbability.

Basically Dune navigators.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Evil Fluffy posted:

Could've sworn that a Feruchemist could store time in Atium as well for agelessness but that the Lord Ruler was able to combine Allomancy in to the mix which also gave him his near invincibility since he could also potentially burn away the stored time safely. :shrug:

The attribute you actually store is age, not time, so the Lord Ruler had to spend massive amounts of time as an old dude in order to appear super young in public which is what he was doing in his little Terris room. But even with compounding, there's limits to how long you can use this hack for.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Amazon Kindle Store deal of the day in the UK is the Mistborn and Stormlight books for 99p each, including Oathbringer.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://brandonsanderson.com/call-to-adventure-stormlight/

There's a Stormlight card game coming out. I don't know anything about it but I'll buy it anyways :shrug: I've only played Mistborn: House War a few times but had enough fun with it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I thought I saw a post recently where someone finished WoT #6 and said the last 5 chapters were great.

I just finished the book and that was a pretty badass last chapter with the expanding ring of body bursting :black101:

Did not like the epilogue though 🙄 Moghedian gets rescued easily from her adam for no apparent reason other than Jordan needs an additional bad guy I guess . Like this poo poo is what makes me not like this series.

I think starting with Sanderson as my gateway to reading has just ruined every other author for me.

55 chapters, 700 pages and... A 2 paragraph plot synopsis on Wikipedia :v: Cool things happened in this book but also nothing happens in this book.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 6, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sab669 posted:

55 chapters, 700 pages and... A 2 paragraph plot synopsis on Wikipedia :v: Cool things happened in this book but also nothing happens in this book.

Man, if that's what you think about book 6 (which is pretty good), I fear for your sanity in books 8/9/10. Especially 10.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I thought I saw a post recently where someone finished WoT #6 and said the last 5 chapters were great.

I just finished the book and that was a pretty badass last chapter with the expanding ring of body bursting :black101:

Did not like the epilogue though 🙄 Moghedian gets rescued easily from her adam for no apparent reason other than Jordan needs an additional bad guy I guess . Like this poo poo is what makes me not like this series.

I think starting with Sanderson as my gateway to reading has just ruined every other author for me.

Yeah that was me. Last few chapters were great, and yeah I thought your spoilered part was kind of dumb as gently caress too.

I'm 12 chapters into book 7 currently, and hoooooooolllllllllllyyyyyyyy poo poo the Aes Sedai chapters are AWFUL so far.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Man, if that's what you think about book 6 (which is pretty good), I fear for your sanity in books 8/9/10. Especially 10.

Overall I did enjoy it, don't get me wrong. All the chapters with Egwene patronizing Nynaeve when she thought she could just figure out how Tel'aran'rhiod works put a huge smile on my face (seriously I can't stand that woman). And as much as I hate her I did have a smile on over Nynaeve's accomplishments, and when she kicked Mat square in the rear end in Salida.

But the amount of enjoyment I get out of any one of these books is miniscule compared to any Sanderson book. I'm kind of just hate-finishing the series because I've already spent so much time getting to where I am.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 6, 2018

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Man, Crossroads of Twilight seems to get a lot of flak but I actually enjoyed it, certainly a lot more than Crown of Swords and Path of Daggers.

Still it is really weird to like and recommend a book series but also warn people that the middle 4 books are kinda iffy.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sab669 posted:

https://brandonsanderson.com/call-to-adventure-stormlight/

There's a Stormlight card game coming out. I don't know anything about it but I'll buy it anyways :shrug: I've only played Mistborn: House War a few times but had enough fun with it.

Seems like a pretty interesting game concept, and they seem to be going after authors for expansions - Name of the Wind is the first expansion.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Sorry to those who get bothered by WoT in the Sanderson thread, but there's more Sanderson WoT coming out!

https://www.tor.com/2018/08/06/brandon-sanderson-deleted-wheel-of-time-novella-unfettered-iii-2019/

quote:

New “Deleted” Wheel of Time Novella to Appear in Unfettered III in 2019

When Shawn Speakman and Grim Oak Press released the first Unfettered anthology in 2013, the epic fantasy collection included “River of Souls,” a deleted scene from Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson’s A Memory of Light. However, “River of Souls” was one of two scenes left on the proverbial cutting room floor during the revisions process. “The second, I assumed, would never see the light of day,” Sanderson wrote on his official website today before announcing that the second deleted scene will appear in Unfettered III in early 2019.

The as-yet-untitled deleted scene involves Perrin traveling into the Ways. Sanderson writes:

"I’ve long been fond of this sequence, and it was quite difficult to cut from the book. (In the anthology itself, I’ll explain why we eventually decided that the sequence needed to go.) I do have to warn you that—unlike River of Souls, which we consider canon to events in the Wheel of Time—this as-of-yet untitled sequence is NOT canon. You’ll want to read it in the same way you’d watch an unfinished, alternate film scene that ended up not being used.

Still, I think it’s an exciting and interesting chunk of writing. It’s quite big, as long as a novella, and it addresses one of the big unanswered questions we left hanging at the end of the Wheel of Time. So I think you’re in for a treat."

So it's stuff that was cut out of the book due to it already being really long, yet it's non-canon. For some reason.

Not that it matters if it's canon or not when there will be no more new WoT content anyway. Looking forward to it, Perrin in the Ways sounds pretty interesting.

Aes Sedai politics gets less bad the more the supergirls are messing in it, naturally. As for the Moghedien thing, there's more to it than meats the eye at first.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

As for the Moghedien thing, there's more to it than meats the eye at first.

I'm sure it will come together, my issue is that it's like "random person shows up undetected and does a thing you never would have guessed happening ever and then they both dissappear".

I think Moghedian is probably my second least favorite Forsaken behind Lanfear. First she has her pseudo mind control powers in Tanchicho, then when Nynaeve bests her and traps her in folds of air she manages to slip away when up until that point in the story that had been a pretty reliable means.

A lot of it just strikes me as textbook Deus Ex Machina.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I've never read a Sanderson book before, but I just finished reading the 3.5 books of the Stormlight Archives on my wife's recommendation. I absolutely adored the first book, but my opinion dropped a bit as the series progressed. I thought the characters and world-building were amazing, but I was disappointed in the continually escalating "power levels." I liked the political maneuverings and the troubles of the more-or-less normal protagonists in the first book-and-a-half, but I didn't like how many of the characters essentially turned into superheroes. The climaxes of books two and three felt like reading a novelization of an episode of Dragonball Z. I still enjoyed it overall, but I'm a bit let down by the direction it took.

Do Sanderson's other books have this issue? I'm intrigued by the metaplot and the things I've heard about Mistborn, but if they all wind up being about invincible protagonists saving the world via epic showdowns with mustachioed supervillians I think I'll pass.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
They tend to focus on very powerful people using their particular magic systems in creative ways. While many are extraordinarily powerful they usually have even more competent foes. I agree power levels are getting crazy in later storm light books.

Mistborn has one of the most powerful magic users ever as a protagonist, but she’s also a young woman and fighting against a thousand year empire whose ruler has been there from the beginning and has all her powers plus more besides. The Alloy of Law follows up centuries later with people unusually powerful for the time, but much much weaker than the Mistborn era and who need to use their wits a lot more to deal with the limitations that involves.

The Emperor’s Soul is by far Sanderson’s best work, a short novella about a woman in prison forced to use her powers to save the Empire. She’s one of the best at what she does, but by the nature of her imprisonment is really constrained.

The Steelheart series has as its protagonist a completely normal kid obsessed with the super powered assholes that have taken over the world, and finding ways of killing them.

Rithmatist has another unpowered kid in a world where drawings can come to life. He desperately wants to be powered, has near-perfect form, and is completely useless in the eyes of anyone that actually does have powers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I mean Mistborn 1 has the Lord Ruler as an antagonist, who would wipe the floor with every single Stormlight Archive human. Probably every other human in the Cosmere, period.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I feel like if the characters eventually becoming DBZ protagonists is not a good thing in your mind, the stormlight archive is not the series for you.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
dbz rules

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

eke out posted:

I feel like if the characters eventually becoming DBZ protagonists is not a good thing in your mind, the stormlight archive is not the series for you.

Stormlight is basically western High Fantasy viewed through an anime lens...so yeah. Spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Stormlight is basically western High Fantasy viewed through an anime lens...so yeah. Spot on.

also iirc sanderson directly says the fighting stuff is inspired by wuxia films

except with a lot more glowing and eyes changing color when you go super saiyan breathe in stormlight