Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
awesome

https://twitter.com/MsiDouglas/status/1022415682670080001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

You'll be lucky if he has both legs for £10m.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
Sell us Mitrovic you fuckres

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

starting to think thats a bad idea

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I'm having flashbacks to Andriy Voronin, Ryan Babel, David N'Gog and Nabil El Zhar. Rafa doesn't have the best track record when forced to buy for cheap.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What happens to the money made from an MLS sale like that young player. Given that it is a draft system, is the revenue redistributed somehow or does the club get to keep it?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

julian assflange posted:

What happens to the money made from an MLS sale like that young player. Given that it is a draft system, is the revenue redistributed somehow or does the club get to keep it?

There's a convoluted system depending on the players development. I think in his case, since he qualifies as an academy product, the actual team gets most of the money, rather than the league.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Transfer and Loan Fees
The revenue share from transfers or loans for clubs is as follows:

" A club shall receive three quarters (3/4) of the corresponding transfer or loan fee revenue (including agent fees and other expenses), from any transaction involving a player that is NOT a Homegrown Player, Generation adidas Player, or player acquired via the MLS SuperDraft.
If a Designated Player is transferred or loaned, the club will receive all amounts of the transfer or loan fee revenue until it has recouped all out-of-pocket cash payments made by the club in connection to that player prior to any sharing arrangement with the League. After such recoup, the transfer or loan of the Designated Player shall be treated as any other transfer with the club receiving three quarters (3/4) of the corresponding transfer or loan fee revenue.
A club shall receive 100 percent of the corresponding transfer or loan fee revenue (including agent fees and other expenses) from any transaction involving a Homegrown Player (regardless of service years).
A club shall receive the transfer or loan fee revenue (including agent fees and other expenses) from any transaction involving a Generation adidas Player or player acquired via the MLS SuperDraft based on the number of MLS service years:

MLS Service Years Transfer/Loan Fee Revenue to Club
1 1/3
2 1/2
3+ 3/4 All remaining portions of the transfer or loan revenue fees are retained by the League.

Usage of Revenue
The club's share of transfer or loan fee revenue may only be used as follows:

" The club may assign up to US$750,000 of the transfer/loan revenue as General Allocation Money. (In the case of Designated Players, such assignment of Allocation Money can only take place after the club has received 100% of their out-of-pocket investment)
The remaining balance of the club's share (if any), and which cannot be traded, will be available to be used by clubs in the following ways:
Against the expenses incurred by the club in relation to the costs of an existing or new Designated Player; or
With League approval, against an expense that (i) would not otherwise have been incurred by the club; and (ii) reasonably represents an investment in the League or club (e.g., youth development and training facilities)

I hate MLS so loving much.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Wolves paying £18m for a very fast winger who's a bit poo poo at everything else

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

I'm having flashbacks to Andriy Voronin, Ryan Babel, David N'Gog and Nabil El Zhar. Rafa doesn't have the best track record when forced to buy for cheap.

To be fair, those guys were much better under him than they were afterwards. He at least knows what attributes work for him.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

dirk kuyt motherfucker

also robbie fowler

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I hate MLS so loving much.

Are there any/many calls from fans/teams to switch to a similar system to the rest of the world? I know the regulations were put in place to stop teams overextending themselves like happened in the 70s, but now that it's been running for a long time, surely the teams are reasonably stable?

As someone who doesn't follow it at all (so correct me if I'm wrong), it seems like they've imported the system from other US sports that only really works there because they're essentially a closed shop, but makes MLS teams massively uncompetitive.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Jose posted:

Wolves paying £18m for a very fast winger who's a bit poo poo at everything else

You are going to have to be way more specific here

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Blue Star Error posted:

You are going to have to be way more specific here

adama traore

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Jose posted:

He’ll likely be a rotation guy, too. Team needed a bit more speed up front, and they’ll likely struggle to score this year with or without him.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

bewbies posted:

also robbie fowler

Was around long before Rafa

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ninpo posted:

Bringing him back was bargain hunting from Benitez. It was good for the fans and it got closure for Fowler too. From what I know, though, I don't think it really helped the club's long term fortunes.

Generally, vyelkin's right. Benitez's bargain buy record is spotty. At the same time, I wonder how many managers really have better records in scraping the bottom of the barrel while being at clubs with high ambitions. Every cheap punt is a gamble, right?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Are there any/many calls from fans/teams to switch to a similar system to the rest of the world? I know the regulations were put in place to stop teams overextending themselves like happened in the 70s, but now that it's been running for a long time, surely the teams are reasonably stable?

Yes, and there's a lot of former players and executives working towards it, but it doesn't seem particularly likely any time soon. I would argue that the vast majority of American fans would prefer a more traditional (i.e. non-American) league system, but part of the problem is that those fans (hi) all just ignore MLS and watch non-American leagues, so they don't have a lot of pull. And diehard MLS fans are basically a cult that will defend the league to their death, even when it acts against their best interests.

Mickolution posted:

As someone who doesn't follow it at all (so correct me if I'm wrong), it seems like they've imported the system from other US sports that only really works there because they're essentially a closed shop, but makes MLS teams massively uncompetitive.

This is an exactly correct observation. They have convinced themselves that they have to run the league this way because it's the way all other American leagues are run, but they ignore the fact that those leagues only thrive because they have no competition whatsoever within their sport. MLS has to compete on a global market, and their structure makes that impossible.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mickolution posted:

Without promotion/relegation a free market league structure doesn't really work, and without a economically viable second league, you can't have prom/rel. You also can't really have a "market" as such when all of the league entities (teams) are under a single business operation.

Some aspects of MLS finances are still cool. Salary cap is good, for instance. Most of it is really stupid. MLS magic monopoly dollars are incredibly complex, no one really knows how they work. Paying one guy on the team literally ten times what anyone else gets is also kind of stupid. Incentivizing MLS teams to overpay for Americans is very, very stupid. Taking most of the transfer fees a team gets for a player is most stupid. I personally would eliminate all of the ridiculous MLS financial stuff aside from a fairly robust salary cap. Get rid of all rules for American players, "allocation money" and all that poo poo. Let teams make money by selling.

MLS almost certainly isn't ever going to be competitive with the Prem/La Liga/etc, but could still be a good and entertaining league. The on-field product now isn't bad, most teams have cool good soccer venues (except the new DC place that is apparently a deathtrap), and the market in the US is growing pretty consistently.

Ninpo posted:

no i'm talking about second edition robbie fowler

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

bewbies posted:

Without promotion/relegation a free market league structure doesn't really work, and without a economically viable second league, you can't have prom/rel. You also can't really have a "market" as such when all of the league entities (teams) are under a single business operation.

And you can't have an economically viable second division without pro/rel, so that argument doesn't hold water. It would be pretty trivial to stop expanding MLS, absorb the USL as a second division, and invest in growing it until the top teams are ready to move up. Then start slowly and only promote one team a year. These aren't difficult problems to solve, especially since the entire rest of the world can show you how to solve them.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Kimoa Kid posted:

And you can't have an economically viable second division without pro/rel, so that argument doesn't hold water. It would be pretty trivial to stop expanding MLS, absorb the USL as a second division, and invest in growing it until the top teams are ready to move up. Then start slowly and only promote one team a year. These aren't difficult problems to solve, especially since the entire rest of the world can show you how to solve them.

I agree with all of this except that it is "pretty trivial", it'd take many years and lots and lots of actual dollars to do this, neither of which much excite sports team owners.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

bewbies posted:

I agree with all of this except that it is "pretty trivial", it'd take many years and lots and lots of actual dollars to do this, neither of which much excite sports team owners.

It costs $150m to join MLS and teams are lining up to pay that; the money is there, and folks are willing to spend it. And frankly, no, it wouldn't take that long. The demand is there. Teams like Cincinnati prove it. They were founded in 2016 and immediately drew larger crowds than most MLS teams.

Look at the TV ratings the Premier League gets; their 7am kickoffs dwarf even the biggest MLS games. Look at the insane crowds generated for meaningless preseason friendlies. There is ENORMOUS demand for high-level soccer in this country and MLS won't let it be met.

wicka fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 26, 2018

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Designated Player is such a stupid term.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rafa has had some mixed signings at Newcastle. Murphy and Lazaar have been poo poo and some of the others were clearly signed only for the Championship season - Hanley was pretty dire

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Kuyt could probably still do a job for Newcastle tbqh

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

vyelkin posted:

Kuyt could probably still do a job for Newcastle tbqh

Serving pints at half time or something like that

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Rafa has had some mixed signings at Newcastle. Murphy and Lazaar have been poo poo and some of the others were clearly signed only for the Championship season - Hanley was pretty dire

Hanley came second in Norwich's player of the season and is being made captain. Maybe Rafa just couldn't manage such a mercurial talent.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

norwich didn't get promoted though

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I completely forgot Fowler went back.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

There is ENORMOUS demand for high-level soccer in this country and MLS won't let it be met.

I agree with you on pretty much every point, the league has to move toward a 1st/2nd division structure. I think they're a lot closer to being able to do that now than ten years ago, the question is one of will rather than finances. Unfortunately, the will to do that seems entirely absent.

I believe the league's quality has improved a good deal in the last decade at least, thanks to growing financial clout and improving team academies. While discussing Seattle's effort to land Paolo Hurtado (and the insane TAM rules at play), someone on Sounder at Heart compiled a list of current Sounders who would have been DPs under the 2009 rules--it amounted to 8 or 9 players. The money is already there! Just remove the bullshit TAM rules and simplify things.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Leonardo confirmed that Milan and Juve are working on a deal for Bonucci

quote:

“We’re bound to FFP, so it won’t be a crazy market. It’ll be moderate and wise. The desire [to talk to Juve] started with Leonardo Bonucci, so if we can, we’ll make it happen. We have no objection to it."

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

shirts and skins posted:

I agree with you on pretty much every point, the league has to move toward a 1st/2nd division structure. I think they're a lot closer to being able to do that now than ten years ago, the question is one of will rather than finances. Unfortunately, the will to do that seems entirely absent.

I believe the league's quality has improved a good deal in the last decade at least, thanks to growing financial clout and improving team academies. While discussing Seattle's effort to land Paolo Hurtado (and the insane TAM rules at play), someone on Sounder at Heart compiled a list of current Sounders who would have been DPs under the 2009 rules--it amounted to 8 or 9 players. The money is already there! Just remove the bullshit TAM rules and simplify things.

The existing MLS owners will never go for it. They bought into a closed system. I’m amazed they don’t have a “countdown” clock like all the other american sports.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tao of lmao posted:

The existing MLS owners will never go for it. They bought into a closed system. I’m amazed they don’t have a “countdown” clock like all the other american sports.

The irony is that they would all make way more money from an open system in the long run, but oh well, it will be funny when they fail.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

Hanley came second in Norwich's player of the season and is being made captain. Maybe Rafa just couldn't manage such a mercurial talent.

Grant Hanley, almost player of the season doesn’t really have a ring to it

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Vydra has been spotted in Leeds and seeing as Derby are signing Marriott and Waghorn it seems like he'll be more pressured into leaving now.

If Leeds get Vydra and Douglas in the next few days I'll be hooting

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

Leonardo confirmed that Milan and Juve are working on a deal for Bonucci

Shame because he's good, but I do hope we get something, even if it's just cash, in return. Musacchio and Romagnoli isn't a bad CB duo but the depth afterward is all poo poo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

bewbies posted:

dirk kuyt motherfucker

also robbie fowler

Kuyt wasn't really a striker past his first season.

He basically became the workhorse left/right winger.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Traore is bad IMO.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah the more I think about the Traore deal the less sense it makes. There really isn’t a spot for him unless wolves unload Jota or Costa, who I think are both better than him.

Some wolves fans are talking of putting him at wingback and lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jeff Reine-Adelaide to Angers is done

https://twitter.com/AngersSCO/status/1022529132918390784

• Locked thread