Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah I'm glad a bunch of people with BPD have now made "being kind to your partner" emotional labor instead of like what it used to mean, the uncompensated and enervating things you had to do as like a mother or employee broadly, and was a generalized indictment of the idea that gendered tasks haven't been traditionally regarded as labor and thus looked down on and that's bad, not that we should go the other direction and just commodify interpersonal decency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:thunk:

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

did they have boners

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Your Parents posted:

shittiest takes

You're right, relationships are when people just love each other and nobody ever has a bad day and everything is just perfect 100% of the time, and then somebody dies and the relationship is over.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The emotional labour poo poo really bothers you boys huh

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
this thread from metafilter is what helped me understand the contemporary conception of emotional labor the most: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0UUYL6kaNeBTDBRbkJkeUtabEk/view?pref=2&pli=1

it's a lot of reading but most people here would probably get something out of it

also it could stand to be edited down to its core ideas or whatever but you take what you can get

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Frog Act posted:

yeah I'm glad a bunch of people with BPD have now made "being kind to your partner" emotional labor instead of like what it used to mean, the uncompensated and enervating things you had to do as like a mother or employee broadly, and was a generalized indictment of the idea that gendered tasks haven't been traditionally regarded as labor and thus looked down on and that's bad, not that we should go the other direction and just commodify interpersonal decency

Goons despise human interactions and think they deserve a reward for suffering through them. News at 11

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JoeyLangone/status/1022113297297022976

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

do lobsters perform emotional labor? I didn’t think so.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Hey guys, can we stop arguing and just all agree we should treat our loved one with love, understanding, and patience? :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/ilovesmokingmid/status/1022215752437313536

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

wasn’t Kissinger still an academic when Strangelove was made?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The emotional labour poo poo really bothers you boys huh

men dont share emotionally with each other and theres no other outlet than your partner, so a lot of women end up playing therapist

for example my longtime friends sister just died and he didn't want to talk about it, but he did want to drink with me

toxic masculinity fucks men up

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ron Jeremy posted:

wasn’t Kissinger still an academic when Strangelove was made?

Dr. Strangelove was a send-up of Wernher Von Braun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDEsGZLbio

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Filthy Hans posted:

Dr. Strangelove was a send-up of Wernher Von Braun
Herman Kahn, too.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

burexas.irom posted:

You're right, relationships are when people just love each other and nobody ever has a bad day and everything is just perfect 100% of the time, and then somebody dies and the relationship is over.

heres a hot take, if you resent your partner for having to be there for them emotionally you're a piece of poo poo.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

BONGHITZ posted:

I will never display an emotion, nor will I do a labor

Hello Mr. Thiel!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Parents posted:

heres a hot take, if you resent your partner for having to be there for them emotionally you're a piece of poo poo.

speak on that

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

augias posted:

I just googled it and read a few articles instead of kicking and screaming like a little turd on sa.

whoa

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boys love to bitch and moan about all sorts of stupid poo poo that has offended them

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Your Parents posted:

Literally no one is looking at emotional labor this way or discussing it in these terms in this thread

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

thanks

lol he was also the inspiration for Walter Matthau's character in Fail-Safe, I recall the character was cryptonite to liberal arguments and women threw themselves at him

edit: found it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Boys love to bitch and moan about all sorts of stupid poo poo that has offended them

hell same

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

toxic masculinity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si2pZRifgIo

healthy masculinity (they work through their differences)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvrZJ5C_Nwg

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Tiberius Christ posted:

men dont share emotionally with each other and theres no other outlet than your partner, so a lot of women end up playing therapist

for example my longtime friends sister just died and he didn't want to talk about it, but he did want to drink with me

toxic masculinity fucks men up

It could have been that or he also couldve just wanted a hour or two of normalcy and not have to relitigate his sister's death for the hundreth time

Edit: when my dad died I didn't tell most of my friends because I was grieving with my family. All I wanted when I was out with my friends was to forget things were happening for a little bit

Business Gorillas has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Jul 26, 2018

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Kit Walker posted:

Literally no one is looking at emotional labor this way or discussing it in these terms in this thread

literally everyone talking about emotional labor who isn't using the phrase to refer to service workers having to pretend to be friendly and welcoming at all times even when they're being treated like dogshit is doing that. they're just being dishonest about what they mean.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

comingafteryouall posted:

healthy masculinity (they work through their differences)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_SlAzsXa7E

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Post more about it moron, really get worked up about your girl grievance

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Though this is a really funny thread to tell a bunch of strangers that you are a psycho

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Your Parents posted:

literally everyone talking about emotional labor who isn't using the phrase to refer to service workers having to pretend to be friendly and welcoming at all times even when they're being treated like dogshit is doing that. they're just being dishonest about what they mean.

Sorry about your broke brain, dude. There’s a reason the vast majority of people who talk about emotional labor irl are women and it has nothing to do with resenting the idea of helping people

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
the vast majority of people who talk about emotional labor irl are broke brained white guys with beards trying to be performatively woke to manipulate people into having sex with them.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You were just complaining about girls saying it dude

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Your Parents posted:

the vast majority of people who talk about emotional labor irl are broke brained white guys with beards trying to be performatively woke to manipulate people into having sex with them.

Surely there is a shorter way to say this.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Your Parents posted:

wow what a tedious weirdo

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lol this page is retarded

also that tweet was dumb

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

You know who does 'emotional labor'? Waiters. There's no real mental or physical challenge to taking orders and delivering food, but putting up with everyone's particular bullshit and smiling as the fuckers run you for another lemon for their water is emotionally draining, which is why all waiters are alcoholic drug addicts (myself included).

That's all there is to it, someone who has to take your bullshit while unable to give you a piece of their mind is doing emotional labor.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Reading the last couple pages was emotional labor, and I think none of us should ever post about emotions or relationships again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

im here for pix and twitter embeds, not soyboys whining about their surrogate mother named girlfriend or whatever the hell is wrong with u