Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I can’t believe Sergio died before Bernie.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I can't really comprehend the idea of "I don't want things to be any better" so I'm not sure it's worth explaining.

Some of us are satisfied with the system in place and don't think it's worth the expense to upgrade?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I can't really comprehend the idea of "I don't want things to be any better" so I'm not sure it's worth explaining.

Nobody actually thinks that, it's more " is the effort of upgrading going to materially improve my life in any significant capacity" to which the answer as far as I can see is "no" so why bother.

I get this is SA so I'm likely in the very tiny minority here but to me a computer is just a tool and if it functions as intended then it performs it's purpose. Like seriously would you go out and buy a bunch of SnapOn poo poo to put together an IKEA bookshelf or would you just figure the little dinky Allen key it came with is good enough?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My PC is windows 7 because it’s really old and the only thing it’s used for is to transfer files to kindle and manually update hardware on non-internet devices. We do everything else on iPads.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
So I have been doing some very important journalism work as part of my very important journalist job of blogging on F1 and I can confirm that I have connected the dots regarding Force India's future: they will be bought out by the combined financial might of Messrs Stroll and Latifi. The newly renamed outfit, Force Canada, will make the switch to Ferrari powertrains on a favourable deal in no small part leveraged by Lawrence Stroll's close ties to Ferrari. Ocon and Perez will be out, given that the Mercedes tie will be cut and Perez's pesos will no longer be required and incoming will be rising stars Lance Stroll and Nicholas Latifi taking their roles as first and second driver respectively.

For more insight please visit my website https://www.joesaward.blogpress.poo poo and please don't post troll comments because I have no self control and feel obligated to loudly type out all the reasons you're wrong and I am right because nobody has had a paddock pass for as long as I have.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Nobody actually thinks that, it's more " is the effort of upgrading going to materially improve my life in any significant capacity" to which the answer as far as I can see is "no" so why bother.

I get this is SA so I'm likely in the very tiny minority here but to me a computer is just a tool and if it functions as intended then it performs it's purpose. Like seriously would you go out and buy a bunch of SnapOn poo poo to put together an IKEA bookshelf or would you just figure the little dinky Allen key it came with is good enough?

That you chose this analogy speaks to the deep personal bond we share. I have my own set of quality hex keys, the Ikea ones go straight in the trash.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Agree, the step from Win 7 to Win 8 was awesome

I understand if people still run Win 7, it's a good OS, but I kinda agree with our McLaren friend here that once you get used to the QoL stuff that Win 10 introduced, Win 7 feels lacking as an OS I have to work with. It's still fine, though, unlike poo poo like Win 8 etc. that actually got in the way of getting work done.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

PS: one of the few things that got worse in the last iterations of Windows - imo - is the explorer. It used to be this super slick fast thing you used to manage files (something I always missed in OS X, because the Finder never was as responsive as the File Explorer in XP or Win 7, especially when you came from OS 9 which a had super responsive Finder), but somehow turned into some bloated stuff that's actually worse than it used to be.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My favorite Windows 10 feature is how typing the name of a program into the search bar will inevitably pull up a list of websites about the program instead of the thing that is already installed on my computer

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

My favorite Windows 10 feature is how typing the name of a program into the search bar will inevitably pull up a list of websites about the program instead of the thing that is already installed on my computer

You can disable that, and imo you should.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Theophany posted:

So I have been doing some very important journalism work as part of my very important journalist job of blogging on F1 and I can confirm that I have connected the dots regarding Force India's future: they will be bought out by the combined financial might of Messrs Stroll and Latifi. The newly renamed outfit, Force Canada, will make the switch to Ferrari powertrains on a favourable deal in no small part leveraged by Lawrence Stroll's close ties to Ferrari. Ocon and Perez will be out, given that the Mercedes tie will be cut and Perez's pesos will no longer be required and incoming will be rising stars Lance Stroll and Nicholas Latifi taking their roles as first and second driver respectively.

For more insight please visit my website https://www.joesaward.blogpress.poo poo and please don't post troll comments because I have no self control and feel obligated to loudly type out all the reasons you're wrong and I am right because nobody has had a paddock pass for as long as I have.

I heard that force india owes mercedes some money? I think they wont be happy if any of this is true. The new owners might have to pay mercedes.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Kimoa Kid posted:

That you chose this analogy speaks to the deep personal bond we share. I have my own set of quality hex keys, the Ikea ones go straight in the trash.

Do it the Gentoo Linux way and forge them yourself from free scrap metal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

I'm hoping for more of this:

:same:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

DoctorGonzo posted:

I heard that force india owes mercedes some money? I think they wont be happy if any of this is true. The new owners might have to pay mercedes.

I don't know where you heard this spurious rumour, but I am a very important F1 journalist and I haven't heard this rumour so it probably isn't true.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My favourite part of Joe Saward was he started losing his loving mind when that blog that just runs translated AMuS articles was getting more scoops than him and acted like calling moves before they happen wasn't part of journalism.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Why the gently caress would I get into the cost and effort of completely reinstalling a new- oh, wait...

1500quidporsche posted:

^ this is pretty much what I was about to say. Other than the hassle of setting it up and reinstalling everything, Windows 10 would have literally zero impact on how I use my home computer.

You buy every new and "better" iPhone the day they come out, don't you?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CratSock posted:

You buy every new and "better" iPhone the day they come out, don't you?

Fuuuuuck dude, don't open the Ark! wicka's Appleposting is a trip.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Fuuuuuck dude, don't open the Ark! wicka's Appleposting is a trip.

I'm gonna have a peek, I want to gaze on the mysteries and knowledge of God.

I use an iPhone 5.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

1500quidporsche posted:

I use an iPhone 5.

I used my 5 until it finally conked out last year, and I’m almost glad it did then because I think I’m one of the last people to get an SE, judging by the lack of accessories in the store and how hard it was to buy a drat case for the thing. It’s a good size for a phone! I don’t want more screen space!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It literally is the perfect phone size I don't know how I used those massive loving monstrosities and thought it was fine

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CratSock posted:

Why the gently caress would I get into the cost and effort of completely reinstalling a new- oh, wait...

You can just upgrade it, you don't have to reinstall anything.

CratSock posted:

Windows 10 would have literally zero impact on how I use my home computer.

But again, this is the mentality I can't possibly comprehend. We're in a thread about racing, we all intuitively understand that a faster car = better, but a faster/more secure/better designed operating system does nothing for you? What, from your perspective, would change or improve the way you use your home computer? Have you ever bought or upgraded anything new in your life? Apply this mentality to anything other than computers and you'll see how baffling it is.

1500quidporsche posted:

I use an iPhone 5.

The 5/5S was the best hardware Apple ever made. If they made a phone in that form factor with an OLED display I would trample each and every one of you on my way to the Apple Store.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Kimoa Kid posted:

But again, this is the mentality I can't possibly comprehend. We're in a thread about racing, we all intuitively understand that a faster car = better, but a faster/more secure/better designed operating system does nothing for you? What, from your perspective, would change or improve the way you use your home computer? Have you ever bought or upgraded anything new in your life? Apply this mentality to anything other than computers and you'll see how baffling it is.

Do you upgrade your toaster every time a new one comes out or just wait till the old one stops working?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Do you upgrade your toaster every time a new one comes out or just wait till the old one stops working?

This is a seriously dumbfuck post and you know it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
At some point in the last several years it seemed that most things about the internet and technology were actually getting worse and not better.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Kimoa Kid posted:

This is a seriously dumbfuck post and you know it

They're both appliances lol

I truly believe we're never going to see eye to eye on this given that I drove a 30 year old car for five years "because it still worked"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

They're both appliances lol

I truly believe we're never going to see eye to eye on this given that I drove a 30 year old car for five years "because it still worked"

We don't have to see eye to eye on it, but you do have to be grown up enough to make idiotic comparisons like this. Windows 10 is objectively better than 7. It is measurably faster and indisputably more secure and has more features. If you have a Windows PC you barely use, of course there's no need to upgrade, but most people heavily use their computers and it's baffling to defend decade old software.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
10 is pretty good yeah. I still use 7 at work because it’s an old dumb computer and I only do word processing and the occasional spreadsheet or video.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I bricked my windows 10 pc the other day by hard-booting it without realising updates were running and the restore got corrupted.

I went from a completely dead OS that wouldn't boot to a flawlessly working fresh windows 10 install in 10 minutes and lost zero data or configurations thanks in large part to onedrive and a couple of symlinks.

Basically windows 10 is unbeatable for home use

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NtotheTC posted:

I bricked my windows 10 pc the other day by hard-booting it without realising updates were running and the restore got corrupted.

I went from a completely dead OS that wouldn't boot to a flawlessly working fresh windows 10 install in 10 minutes and lost zero data or configurations thanks in large part to onedrive and a couple of symlinks.

Basically windows 10 is unbeatable for home use

Yes, an OS so draconian that it forces its update cycle upon the user, which is well and widely documented as bricking machines, is perfect for home use.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

The Kimoa Kid posted:

You can just upgrade it, you don't have to reinstall anything.

I've heard about people who tried to "just upgrade it". If I had to deal with just one incompatibility issue it would be too many.

I'll make this even harder for you... I actually am into computers and technology, I specced and built that PC, and I even did some optimization. But the thing is, it does everything I want it to, without any problem. Windows 10 wouldn't do anything faster or noticeably better. When there is no area for improvement... why bother?

The Kimoa Kid posted:

We don't have to see eye to eye on it, but you do have to be grown up enough to make idiotic comparisons like this. Windows 10 is objectively better than 7. It is measurably faster and indisputably more secure and has more features. If you have a Windows PC you barely use, of course there's no need to upgrade, but most people heavily use their computers and it's baffling to defend decade old software.

I'll give you the security point, I could potentially be more secure. This PC used to get a lot of use, but now most browsing is done by phone or tablet. I don't game. I download movies and watch them via Plex. Since those 2 things are 99% of the reason this PC exists, and there's no room for improvement in those areas... I'm not upgrading to a new OS.

I'll even admit that if I was using it for everyday staff, if I worked from it, or if I spent more than 5 mins on it every other day, then I might consider upgrading. But I would still want to see a noticeable improvement to my specific use, and I don't count the differences in the OS as an upgrade since I'm used to and comfortable with 7.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CratSock posted:

I've heard about people who tried to "just upgrade it". If I had to deal with just one incompatibility issue it would be too many.

I'll make this even harder for you... I actually am into computers and technology, I specced and built that PC, and I even did some optimization. But the thing is, it does everything I want it to, without any problem. Windows 10 wouldn't do anything faster or noticeably better. When there is no area for improvement... why bother?

I'll give you the security point, I could potentially be more secure. This PC used to get a lot of use, but now most browsing is done by phone or tablet. I don't game. I download movies and watch them via Plex. Since those 2 things are 99% of the reason this PC exists, and there's no room for improvement in those areas... I'm not upgrading to a new OS.

I'll even admit that if I was using it for everyday staff, if I worked from it, or if I spent more than 5 mins on it every other day, then I might consider upgrading. But I would still want to see a noticeable improvement to my specific use, and I don't count the differences in the OS as an upgrade since I'm used to and comfortable with 7.

And I will grant you that if you are 99% using that PC to download movies then it would be absolutely pointless to upgrade. But if it were your main PC that you used all day every day, it's simply indisputable that Windows 10 is better than 7.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The Kimoa Kid posted:

We don't have to see eye to eye on it, but you do have to be grown up enough to make idiotic comparisons like this. New tyres are objectively better than bin tyres. They're measurably faster and indisputably more secure and have more grip. If you have a kart you barely use, of course there's no need to upgrade, but most people heavily race their karts and it's baffling to defend decade old rubber.

Who cares, let them use whatever computer they want.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

As long as you're not using an OS that doesn't get security patches (which would be irresponsible, imo), use whatever blows your hair back.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Who cares, let them use whatever computer they want.

I'm not stopping them.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

That's what everyone's Joe's Award history should look like

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Just lol at all of you sheeple using Windows instead of the glorious BeOS in TYOOL 2018.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I can't remember the last time I used a computer that wasn't for work or hooked up to a TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I can't remember the last time I used a computer that wasn't for work or hooked up to a TV

I have one for video games and I would say 90% of its non-gaming use comes from playing music while I put away laundry.