Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I have that sumo square driver. It came with some other clubs that I bought off ebay. It's so freaking noisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

gently caress my life. So it's my 40th this year and the wife had planned a weekend at Hammock Beach to golf the Ocean Course, Conservatory Course, and some pool lounging. Make the reservation for the room last night, call today to book tee times and of loving course the weekend we were supposed to stay is the day after they re-open after aerating. Well the gently caress I'm paying $200 to play an aerated course, so, there goes that idea :( That was basically the only weekend until the end of the year we would've been able to do it too due to time off/other events happening.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Got paired with someone yesterday that made for an interesting round. Before I tell more about it, want to make sure it wasn’t zinc, you didn’t play at white eagle yesterday evening did you ?

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Got paired with someone yesterday that made for an interesting round. Before I tell more about it, want to make sure it wasn’t zinc, you didn’t play at white eagle yesterday evening did you ?

Haha, nope.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

It's story time

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

It's story time

Yup, let’s hear it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

give us the story, docta :munch:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sergio sucking at putting today.

Also seriously thinking about getting tickets for Saturday to go watch.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
double whammy today on the regular and senior tours

http://twitter.com/ThirstiestMan/status/1022555559596384257

http://twitter.com/masonbPB/status/1022555731449524224

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's always good to know that even the guys who make this sport look easy still have those moments that all the rest of us duffers have on a regular basis

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Furnaceface posted:

Sergio sucking at putting today.

Also seriously thinking about getting tickets for Saturday to go watch.

He missed a 5.5 footer on 2 but hasn't missed anything else inside 10 feet and is bogey-free at -3 through 11. What are you talking about?

E: Brooks Koepka is certainly terrible at putting today. -2.2 strokes gained putting.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 27, 2018

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kameh posted:

He missed a 5.5 footer on 2 but hasn't missed anything else inside 10 feet and is bogey-free at -3. What are you talking about?

His long-ish putts were off by enough that he had to line up his par putts on 4 of the 5 holes I was watching before I had to leave. He was making the pars but it looked like he wasnt making it easy on himself either. Maybe I just watched his worst holes of the day? :shrug:

I really want to see him win the Canadian Open at least once, especially since he almost always tries to show up for it despite it being right after a major and most other big name players bailing on it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

Haha, nope.

Well, it's entirely possible I've built this up more than it deserves, but here it goes.

I found a course that was pretty open Tuesday evening so I could play a twilight round. This course also happens to be a great course for finding lost golf balls, which I do way too much of. It's a beautiful course, but just really has some wonky holes, so I don't play it super often.

http://whiteeaglegolf.com/

I walked into the clubhouse at the exact time as some other guy. We both check in as singles and he asks if I want to go out first or if I want to follow him. I was planning on scrounging for some golf balls so I said he could go first. Then on the way to the first tee he came up and was like, "Hey dude, if you want to play as a twosome I don't give a gently caress, just come join me. Or not. Whatever you want to do, I don't loving care".

I told him I'd start on my own but if it slowed down I wouldn't hesitate to join up.

The first like 8 holes played really fast, like I couldn't keep up with the guy. Then I pulled up to the 8th hole and he's waiting at the tee box and there's two groups on the hole.

"Hey dude, it's loving slow up there. Was good for awhile but I just checked 10, 12 and 17 and it's a loving log jam. Just come play with me, gently caress if we want to wait alone right."

So I joined him, and he preceded to hit bad shot after bad shot. The funny part though was that he kept a running tally of his consecutive bad shots, loudly.

"gently caress, that's three loving shots in a row, not one good loving shot gently caress." Other than the barrage of F bombs, he was a really nice guy and fun to play with, but holy crap it was funny. He stopped after 9 at his car to grab beers, and then went way out of his way before 16 to do the same. Smoked a bunch of cigs and a bunch of weed, but never stopped counting bad shots.

"loving golf man, loving 19 out of my last 20 shots have all been bad. One loving good shot out of 20".

It was awesome. I don't know if he was having an off round or if every one of his rounds is just a constant stream of F-bomb accounting like this.

Also, before joining up with him I found about 25 golf balls, a full dozen pro-V1 tier balls too! Including a pristine Ryder Cup Logo ball from Hazeltine, oooooh.

I on the other hand played really well, I hit 13 out of 14 fairways(the only one I missed I went through the fairway on a sharp dogleg), 11 GIR, and shot 79 :(. One penalty shot and some poor club selection on some approach shots cost me a potentially great round. Considering the last time I played 18 holes I didn't hit a fairway until the 16th hole, I was extremely happy with my game off the tee. 7/7 on fairways when I hit driver is unheard of for me in the last couple years, maybe I'm turning the corner?

My last three league rounds have been 38, 39, 39 too, which is pretty awesome. The 38 could have been a really special round. I birdied the hardest par 4 and eagled the following par 5, but took a 6 on a 300 yard par 4 and made 6 on the par 5 18th after being 200 yards out after my drive.

Feeling pretty good, I'll be heading down to Lake of the Ozarks in a few weeks, will likely play at Porta Cima, getting pumped!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Super frustrating skins game last night. No birdies, every drive I hit was a weak fade/slice, and didn’t stick any approach shots real close. A couple nights ago I shot 1 under in one of my leagues and should have been 2 under but I over-read a short birdie putt on 17 so I was feeling real good before I teed off last night. Oh well.

Looking at the WRX chart that shows carry distances by club for various swing speeds, my iron carry distances are just under the PGA tour average, and that’s about half a club shorter than I was a couple years ago (but much more consistent now). My driver has only been carrying like 230 lately though which is about the same as my 3 wood and about 10-15 yards longer than my 3 hybrid. Might be time for another lesson.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Your driver only carries 230 but your irons are approximately tour distance?

Is your driver broken?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Kameh posted:

Your driver only carries 230 but your irons are approximately tour distance?

Is your driver broken?

Well tour average according to that WRX chart which is probably a little old now. 165-170 yards is my 7 iron carry, my 4 hybrid (23*) is 205-210. But yeah my drives lately have been carrying 230ish with occasional ones going a bit farther. Guys I play with tell me my practice swings are faster than my actual swings with my driver, so I must have some sort of Charles Barkley mental block going on. I’ve hit drives that go 300 yards on flat holes but only when the fairway is baked out and I get a ton of roll.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Serginooooooooo :negative:

He is loving cursed at this tournament. Good thing I didnt get tickets for tomorrow.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So today was a pretty drat good day

The fairway 100% stat is a little misleading as this is basically a links course where you hafta be reaaaaally bad to miss the fairway, my driving was pretty spot on today though so I legit hit every fairway.

And then this 8 iron from 166 to this

Closest I've been in a while. Hot as balls out but a great round.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Id post my round from this morning but I dont want to give you guys nightmares or flashbacks to when you were so bad you actually felt embarrassed for subjecting the people with you to whatever it is you are doing to that poor golf ball.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

So today was a pretty drat good day

The fairway 100% stat is a little misleading as this is basically a links course where you hafta be reaaaaally bad to miss the fairway, my driving was pretty spot on today though so I legit hit every fairway.

And then this 8 iron from 166 to this

Closest I've been in a while. Hot as balls out but a great round.

That is a fantastic finish, drat

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

That is a fantastic finish, drat

What sucks is I had a 8’ putt for birdie on 17 and lipped it :(

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Yesterday I played a skins game with a pair of guys I met a few months ago. $1 skins, $2 birdies, $3 eagles.

With my normal group of players, I'm the Rory or DJ. These guys are at least a club longer (one is tour-level long), so I inadvertently become the Zach Johnson of the group, keeping the ball in play, grinding out pars, and sneaking in a birdie when I can.

It's very effective. I won 15 of 18 skins.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Sounds like length only helps those guys shoot 85 instead of 95. How many of those skins were pars?

I’m currently going on a month off golf because of wrist tendinitis. Basically feels the same as 4 weeks ago, which sucks. Anyone have experience solving golf-induced wrist pain?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Looks like I finally rid myself of my driver slice. I had been hitting a Cobra Max for the last 2 years or so, which is an offset draw-bias driver. Lately been pulling most shots to the left, and assumed it was “proper” swings affected by the driver’s leftward bias.

Received my TaylorMade R15 a couple of weeks ago, and after some growing pains, I’m hitting the thing dead straight, and farther than the Cobra ever went. Both weights are still in the center...the “distance” setting. Feels very odd, sounds vastly different, and the factory shaft is really, really long. But man it goes straight and high.

What should my local shop look at when I go in to dial in the shaft length?

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Any chance someone has a course recommendation in the St. Louis area? A group of us are driving down there from Chicago for the PGA and are looking to grab a couple tee times on Thursday.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Boys, guess who's team just moved to first place in this golf league? :D

This week, we were playing last year's champs. I had the highest handicap in our foursome. My opponent was giving me four and his partner was giving me seven. (Not that I was playing him.) Through eight, I was beating everyone straight up. Golf is much easier when your first shot is straight every time.

Only lovely thing was I relaxed on the ninth hole, because I know it's my best hole and bladed it. Double bogey to end with a 40. I could taste my first round in the 30s!

Life is good today. :hellyeah:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Josh Lyman, were you looking for Titleist 716MB? Looking at a pre-owned set for about $470 in a Dick's Sporting Goods.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Here's a pretty fun documentary about Rocco v Tiger in the 2008 US Open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zodrcuCHh3Q

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Played Sunken Meadow on Long Island today. It was rainy in the morning and then hot and humid for the back 9. I'm not very good but I play fast and I learned some things today.

I'm officially putting my driver away. I can hit my 3 hybrid 200-220 and straight almost every time and I usually slice my drive for way less. I did that from the 6th hole on and I had a fun day. Mostly double bogeys, 2 pars, and 2 triple bogeys but I had a blast.

That's a fun little course.

E: I picked up a Top Flite 2000XL and played it the entire back 9 and I loved it. Are the newer Top Flores similar?

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 1, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

E: I picked up a Top Flite 2000XL and played it the entire back 9 and I loved it. Are the newer Top Flores similar?

I played one I got in a charity outing and it wasn't half bad. I wonder if they're finally getting away from their 'rock flite' moniker.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I... Think that's a very old Top Flite. TF balls aren't great, but they're the cheapest. The D2 and Gamer balls are worth looking into, though.

On the other hand, if you're looking to spend $10/dozen on Top Flites, you can get 2nd hand "premium" balls from lostgolfballs for the same price.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I mean I've been hitting Noodles for the last few rounds and I loving hate them. The soft ones are like farting in the wind.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Some of the golf stores will do BOGO on Topflites sometimes and the Gamer Tour is a urethane cover premium ball that most people wouldn’t be able to tell from a ProV1 in a blind play-test. Regular Gamer isn’t urethane but is still not a bad ball either. That being said, there are other deals to be had too. Brand new TP5 and TP5X are available for $18 a dozen at golfdiscount.com right now, although they are stamped Practice (but otherwise identical to normal balls). Looks like rockbottomgolf has packs of 3 dozen Project (a) practice balls for $30 too, probably the older model but still a good ball.

My league tonight had a downpour when my group was playing our seventh hole. Radar showed it was a very narrow band of rain so we sat in our carts for 10 minutes and then finished the round. We get to the clubhouse and are told that half the league either quit or didn’t tee off so tonight’s round wouldn’t count. I had birdied the hole that was interrupted by rain and my partner birdied the last two, and all three had real possibilities of winning skins due to the wet conditions. The rain was done by 5:45, greens were free of water by 6:00, and the sun came out and there’s enough light to play until at least 8:30. The women’s league that plays opposite us did not cancel and they were teeing off while half our league sat in the clubhouse. loving fair weather golfers.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 2, 2018

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Been working with the Tour Striker a lot lately, and I’m now hitting my short irons properly, with my swing bottom a good 2 to 4 inches beyond of the ball. As I move up through my irons, that swing bottom moves farther back until I’m hitting my 4I consistently behind the ball. What tends to cause this?

Not sure if this info helps, but: I can reliably fix the problem by concentrating on 1) keeping my left heel down during the backswing, and 2) rotating fully through, completing a full, proper follow-through. Yes I know two swing thoughts = bad.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger rolling in some super loving long putts today for birdies and par saves hell yeah!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

jesus Phil
https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1025012014928855040

also the PGA Championship Shop opens up tomorrow, I'm hype

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Lincoln posted:

Been working with the Tour Striker a lot lately, and I’m now hitting my short irons properly, with my swing bottom a good 2 to 4 inches beyond of the ball. As I move up through my irons, that swing bottom moves farther back until I’m hitting my 4I consistently behind the ball. What tends to cause this?

Not sure if this info helps, but: I can reliably fix the problem by concentrating on 1) keeping my left heel down during the backswing, and 2) rotating fully through, completing a full, proper follow-through. Yes I know two swing thoughts = bad.

It’s normal to have a shallower swing on longer clubs. You might be trying to help the club get the ball in the air a bit though? Lots of people tend to swing too hard with longer clubs too which causes all sorts of problems.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

jesus Phil
https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1025012014928855040

also the PGA Championship Shop opens up tomorrow, I'm hype

http://shop.pga.com/PGA_Championship

it's open now isn't it?

edit: I generally try and only buy stuff from tourney's I actually goto, but, I think I need a logo ball since it's the 100th

mattfl fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 2, 2018

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

mattfl posted:

http://shop.pga.com/PGA_Championship

it's open now isn't it?

edit: I generally try and only buy stuff from tourney's I actually goto, but, I think I need a logo ball since it's the 100th

i was talking the physical Superstore at Bellerive CC

(and yes, my Saturday tickets are sitting in the lockbox right now, can't loving wait)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

i was talking the physical Superstore at Bellerive CC

(and yes, my Saturday tickets are sitting in the lockbox right now, can't loving wait)

Oh, lucky you!

Wanna buy me one logo ball so I don't hafta buy a 3 pack lol