Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I drive my 2560x1440 model just fine with a 1050TI

I havent had a chance to try out Skyrim VR yet, but I hopefully will soon. I got sucked into Elite Dangerous last night for the entire night because holy poo poo is sitting in a cockpit playing space taxi waaaaaaay more fun than it sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks for the info and for recommending cheap chinese garbage. :hfive:

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 26, 2018

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

plape tickler posted:

Thanks for the info and for recommending cheap chinese garbage. :hfive:

edit - Thumper isn't VR on pc yet? That sucks.

It absolutely is

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was just editing that mistake. Looking forward to that at least.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Spent maybe an hour on and off with the new laptop, was not able to get the goggles going. Steam VR detects it now with that binary you shared. Raw debug logs say that it's using an NVIDIA adapter, but the debug report says the HMD is using the intel h630 adapter.

Tried setting Nvidia to force performance always, and also tried setting it for the specific app.

But I can play battlegrounds, etc on my external display via the same hdmi port.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

Spent maybe an hour on and off with the new laptop, was not able to get the goggles going. Steam VR detects it now with that binary you shared. Raw debug logs say that it's using an NVIDIA adapter, but the debug report says the HMD is using the intel h630 adapter.

Tried setting Nvidia to force performance always, and also tried setting it for the specific app.

But I can play battlegrounds, etc on my external display via the same hdmi port.

Have you tried rebooting your computer since you set up the VR headset?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Oh, yeah, I ran into all of that info with the problem mine initially had. Its about the laptop forcing the HMD to use the intel chipset instead of nVidia, but everyones issues seem to be fixed by setting it manually in the nvidia control panel. You set the Holo program as well as the steam and steamvr executables? I'd set the executables for the games you're trying to play too.

I know it doesnt help, but that seems like a common problem with laptop video cards, that a lot of people have regardless of HMD, so hopefully a fix is out there.

fake edit:

I would research your specific laptop, this reddit post is not promising: "Almost all laptops connect the external HDMI port to the Intel integrated GPU directly through the motherboard, which means that they are simply not suitable for VR. There have been some exceptions, but unless the laptop is marketed as "VR Ready", you probably cannot use it." - https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6b5g0a/how_do_you_prioritize_gpu_over_integrated/

And this from Oculus themselves: "The last bullet point is tricky: many discrete GPU laptops have their external video output connected to the integrated GPU and drive the external output via hardware and software mechanisms that can’t support the Rift. Since this isn’t something that can be determined by reading the specs of a laptop, we are working on how to identify the right systems - https://www.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift/

I hope yours can be fixed, but it sounds like some laptops are hard wired to put the intel GPU out over the HDMI port :smith: Maybe start by looking for your specific laptop model and VR and see if anyone has had success with any HMD

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, yeah, I ran into all of that info with the problem mine initially had. Its about the laptop forcing the HMD to use the intel chipset instead of nVidia, but everyones issues seem to be fixed by setting it manually in the nvidia control panel. You set the Holo program as well as the steam and steamvr executables? I'd set the executables for the games you're trying to play too.

I know it doesnt help, but that seems like a common problem with laptop video cards, that a lot of people have regardless of HMD, so hopefully a fix is out there.

fake edit:

I would research your specific laptop, this reddit post is not promising: "Almost all laptops connect the external HDMI port to the Intel integrated GPU directly through the motherboard, which means that they are simply not suitable for VR. There have been some exceptions, but unless the laptop is marketed as "VR Ready", you probably cannot use it." - https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6b5g0a/how_do_you_prioritize_gpu_over_integrated/

And this from Oculus themselves: "The last bullet point is tricky: many discrete GPU laptops have their external video output connected to the integrated GPU and drive the external output via hardware and software mechanisms that can’t support the Rift. Since this isn’t something that can be determined by reading the specs of a laptop, we are working on how to identify the right systems - https://www.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift/

I hope yours can be fixed, but it sounds like some laptops are hard wired to put the intel GPU out over the HDMI port :smith: Maybe start by looking for your specific laptop model and VR and see if anyone has had success with any HMD

Is that likely to be an issue on a new Dell XPS 15 9570?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Couldnt tell you, you'll probably need to see if anyone with that model has gotten any HMD working on the nvidia/ati portion

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

plape tickler posted:

What's the preferred vr video viewer for the monoculus rift? :wink:

DeoVR is pretty good.

If you download it separately from steam you won't flag the "xxx is now playing..." for your friends.

... Unless you're into that :kazooieass:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

armorer posted:

Is that likely to be an issue on a new Dell XPS 15 9570?

It looks like in addition to HDMI that laptop also has a DP on it, yes? I've seen it be the case before where HDMI didn't work on a laptop, but a DP ->HDMI adapter worked fine as the DP was wired to the dedicated GPU and didn't go through the intel chipset.

I can't say for certain, but theres a fair chance it should work. You do have the version with the GTX 1050ti, yes? Its a bit on the low end, but it should be able to run a WMR headset, or Rift. I wouldn't suggest Vive simply for the reason the former 2 have a frame interpolation technique to help smooth over low frame rates, which the vive doesn't have, and with a 1050ti you'd probably be running into frame rate issues on various things.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Fair enough. I googled around a bunch and didn't come up with anything of use. I don't actually have that laptop yet but it'll be on order soon, and yes with the 1050. We shall see :)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Man, Beat Saber is fantastic. Made me order some VR lenses because gently caress glasses and me being an overweight slob having to regularly take off the headset to administer to the sweat :haw:

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

armorer posted:

Fair enough. I googled around a bunch and didn't come up with anything of use. I don't actually have that laptop yet but it'll be on order soon, and yes with the 1050. We shall see :)

fwiw I have the 9560 and a Vive and it ran Gorn and a home-brew unity game like a champ on a 1050.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Dr. Poz posted:

fwiw I have the 9560 and a Vive and it ran Gorn and a home-brew unity game like a champ on a 1050.

Oh, perfect thanks! I should be good then. I can't imagine that the two are all that different, or that if they are they would have broken VR on the newer one.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Real Oasis when?

that's all I want to know

Is there a Steam community thing in VR where you can wander around as an avatar and (provided the game's already installed) just walk up to someone and invite them to play a game with you? If there isn't, that should be a thing they're working on.

I don't even care if the whole thing is a generic Steam store front. Let me walk around among other VR users, pull up my games library next to them, and point at stuff while suggesting we play one of the games our two libraries share in common. That would be extremely cool

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can kind of do that with Bigscreen Beta

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

It looks like in addition to HDMI that laptop also has a DP on it, yes?

Yes I successfully have used a Vive and WMR on a 970m with Optimus (HDMI wired through the intel iGPU) using Min-DP->HDMI converter->HMD . Basically every laptop is setup that way which was why for years Oculus did not recommend laptops. Even MOST "VR Ready" laptops are setup that way.

I think even over the DP it still might go thought the iGPU causing additional latency. There are only a very few laptops that don't have Optimus. If I was buying a new laptop I would make sure to get one without Optimus on at least one HDMI port. I'd bet Optimus also screws up any chance to use GSync.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

nickhimself posted:

Real Oasis when?

that's all I want to know

Is there a Steam community thing in VR where you can wander around as an avatar and (provided the game's already installed) just walk up to someone and invite them to play a game with you? If there isn't, that should be a thing they're working on.

I don't even care if the whole thing is a generic Steam store front. Let me walk around among other VR users, pull up my games library next to them, and point at stuff while suggesting we play one of the games our two libraries share in common. That would be extremely cool
Steam VR Home is a step away from this, though I don't know how many people muck around in it any more. It doesn't have the joining-each-others-games thing though. Oculus Home is becoming that however, a big part of why they are finally introducing Social is that they want you to be able to meet up easily when you pop the headset on, screw about in Home a bit, have a chat about what you want to play and just jump into that game together. I imagine if they ever get that working though, it will only work with games which use oculus matchmaking as opposed to their own independent/ubisoft/steam whatever..

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Huh, this is new:

https://uploadvr.com/microsoft-mixed-reality-flashlight/

Microsoft WMR headsets are finally using the tracking cameras as passthrough.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dr. Poz posted:

Did you have to do anything wonky to get it to work? Really struggling with my Monoculus

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does your laptop have a DisplayPort?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
HTC: Uh, everything is under control. Situation normal. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?

https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/07/26/think-vr-dying-just-getting-started/

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 27, 2018

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm looking at grabbing a PSVR shortly.

I know you can get it working on PC with the Move Controllers, but does the option exist where I can purchase Vive controllers down the track and use a bastardised PSVR+Vive Controller setup for PC games?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

I know you can get it working on PC with the Move Controllers, but does the option exist where I can purchase Vive controllers down the track and use a bastardised PSVR+Vive Controller setup for PC games?

You would need to buy the base stations also and believe it or not two controllers and two base stations is more than an entire Vive.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Odd

Look as long as I can play Beat Saber custom songs on PC with PSVR+Move Controllers I'll be a happy chappy.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
just at least try soundboxing too, it's only 8 bucks and I'm sad my favourite game is dying :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know about PSVR on PC, but don't try to mix and match different devices and tracking systems. You will pretty much have to set it up and align it yourself. I don't know if it requires third party software or not. I saw a post or video by some guy who was basically editing the alignment manually by changing some settings and then taking his headset on and off to see if the controller lined up in real life and in the headset. Sounds like a big headache.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Last time I looked into this there was no 6dof tracking nor move controller support for psvr on PC, how does it work now?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

The Vive controllers cannot talk directly to the PC, you need either the Vive headset, or two Vive Tracker dongles ($100 each, yikes). SweViver has a walkthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbDHuEkvqZc

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

Last time I looked into this there was no 6dof tracking nor move controller support for psvr on PC, how does it work now?

This software appears to allow PSVR to run fairly well on PC
https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/psvr/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BSeXv3KRawhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcy9wvlmmy8

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, apparently you can reflash Steam Controller dongles to pair to Vive wands. So two of those Steam Controllers would be $50 each on Steam, and you can use Steam Wallet credit to purchase the physical hardware. So that is probably better than paying for Vive Trackers.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Rec Royale squad mode is live, anyone want to group up tonight?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does your laptop have a DisplayPort?

Hmm no my 9570 doesn't, but neither does his 9560, I don't think

My Thunderbolt 3 docking station does? Why?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The flip side of that discussion about hdmi being wired to the Intel gpu was that often the nvidia one was wired to DisplayPort

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Oh, apparently you can reflash Steam Controller dongles to pair to Vive wands. So two of those Steam Controllers would be $50 each on Steam, and you can use Steam Wallet credit to purchase the physical hardware. So that is probably better than paying for Vive Trackers.

What about these Steam Controller dongles on ebay for $10-15 from China? Any idea if those would be reflashable or are these just bluetooth modules for Steam Links or something?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Obsurveyor posted:

What about these Steam Controller dongles on ebay for $10-15 from China? Any idea if those would be reflashable or are these just bluetooth modules for Steam Links or something?

You didn't link anything but I'm assuming these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steam-Controller-Wireless-Dongle-Receiver-Usb-Receiver-1002-/302305215558

Yes, those should work actually. They look identical to the real Steam Controller dongle; it might be a supply chain link from a factory that actually makes the official dongles. In any event, scrubbing through the feedback of eBay buyers who purchased these dongles form this seller, they all seemed happy with them.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

You didn't link anything but I'm assuming these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steam-Controller-Wireless-Dongle-Receiver-Usb-Receiver-1002-/302305215558

Yes, those should work actually. They look identical to the real Steam Controller dongle; it might be a supply chain link from a factory that actually makes the official dongles. In any event, scrubbing through the feedback of eBay buyers who purchased these dongles form this seller, they all seemed happy with them.

The sticker on the back is in a different order than the dongle that came with my SC, though that might just because it's a different-market-version. The eBay one has a KC "Korea Certification" mark that mine does not, while mine has an Australian Regulatory Compliance Mark the eBay one does not.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

The sticker on the back is in a different order than the dongle that came with my SC, though that might just because it's a different-market-version. The eBay one has a KC "Korea Certification" mark that mine does not, while mine has an Australian Regulatory Compliance Mark the eBay one does not.

Yeah, I dunno for sure, all I know is that the guy sold 66 of them and all the feedbacks I'm finding for people who specifically purchased the dongle are satisfied customers, so even if they aren't official, they all seem to work perfectly fine.

You can get them for $22 on Amazon with Prime shipping, if you wanna get it in two days instead of two weeks, and actually be able to return it: https://www.amazon.com/XBERSTAR-Wireless-Receiver-Adapter-Controller-PC/dp/B07CLSW8XQ/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hadlock posted:

Hmm no my 9570 doesn't, but neither does his 9560, I don't think

really? when i looked on the dell website it said:

2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 with Power Delivery
1 Battery gauge button and indicator
1 AC power
1 HDMI 2.0
1 Thunderbolt™ 3 (4 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3) supporting: Power Delivery, Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps bi-directional), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps), Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output, VGA, HDMI, Ethernet and USB-A via Dell Adapter (sold separately)
1 Headset jack