Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The opening scene of TFA is Poe risking his life to obtain a biography(?) of Luke from a church of Luke-worshippers on Luke’s home planet, on behalf of Leia (who believes Luke can singlehandedly save the entire galaxy).

The entire text thing at the start is about how great Luke is.

The opening scene of TFA is a desperate attempt to find a "Jedi" that's been out of the picture for decades, from a weirdo hermit who worships the Force and Luke's sister. Leia hasn't forgotten Luke, but he's dead and gone to nearly everyone else. Jedi ways play no part in what the Resistance wants from Luke; Leia is repeating her search for Obi-Wan and hoping he doesn't die at the end of Act 2 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Luke didn’t leave a map. The unnamed old guy wrote the map while he was researching Luke’s life.

Tatooine was renamed Jakku after Jabba was killed.

[citation needed]

No source anywhere that I know of states Jakku and Tatooine are the same planet

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Rian Johnson said it in a tweet but then purged it along with 20,000 other ones earlier this week.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 26, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Rian Johnson said it in a tweet but then purged it along with 20,000 other ones earlier this week.

Under the story group tweets like that, even from the creatives themselves, are not to be taken as canonical. It's why Leland Chee doesn't provide continuity answers on social media like he used to in the Legends days

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

homullus posted:

The opening scene of TFA is a desperate attempt to find a "Jedi" that's been out of the picture for decades, from a weirdo hermit who worships the Force and Luke's sister. Leia hasn't forgotten Luke, but he's dead and gone to nearly everyone else. Jedi ways play no part in what the Resistance wants from Luke; Leia is repeating her search for Obi-Wan and hoping he doesn't die at the end of Act 2 again.

Snoke knows all about luke too and he and Kylo are looking for him.

I don’t know if you are right in this regard.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Luke didn’t leave a map. The unnamed old guy wrote the map while he was researching Luke’s life.

Tatooine was renamed Jakku after Jabba was killed.

Where is this in the movie? I think supplemental material says he was writing a history of the Jedi, or something, and while doing so he came across a map to the first Jedi temple planet, which is where they assumed Luke went. But even ignoring that, where are you getting that he was researching Luke's life? That's certainly not in the movie.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jivjov posted:

Under the story group tweets like that, even from the creatives themselves, are not to be taken as canonical. It's why Leland Chee doesn't provide continuity answers on social media like he used to in the Legends days

Lol

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I wonder if he had something he thought he might get in trouble for like Gunn did or if it was just some pedestrian reason. I probably shouldn't make assumptions, but one must maintain one's low expectations of people. :v:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

Snoke knows all about luke too and he and Kylo are looking for him.

I don’t know if you are right in this regard.

That's ok. You can watch the movie again to see how little Han, 3PO, R2, Finn, and Rey know or care about Luke at the start.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

homullus posted:

Everyone has forgotten Luke except Leia.

So you are waking this back, as they say in the business.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder if he had something he thought he might get in trouble for like Gunn did or if it was just some pedestrian reason. I probably shouldn't make assumptions, but one must maintain one's low expectations of people. :v:

Per his own statements on the matter, it was just a preventative measure to keep people from pulling old tweets out of context

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

So you are waking this back, as they say in the business.

Do you not use forgotten when you mean "cease to think of or consider"? Or is your objection everyone? I was addressing the claim that the Resistance is "made up of" Luke worshipers. Most of the galaxy, including most of the people in the film who have met Luke, have ceased to think of him in an ongoing way. I apologize for the confusion I may have caused by saying "Leia" remembers Luke rather than "Leia, four Force weirdos, and Poe due to direct orders from Leia" remember Luke.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

homullus posted:

Nope, you need to be careful.

In A New Hope, Leia is simply calling up some old General from the Clone Wars for a favour. Her actual top priority is to deliver the Death Star plans to King Organa so that he can rally support for the Rebels and hopefully restore the Republic.

In TFA, the goals are collapsed together. Her goal is to obtain the Luke Skywalker plans so she can recruit Luke Skywalker and use Luke Skywalker to ‘balance the force’.

All the Resistance people speak in vague religious terms like “this will make things right” and “where there’s light there’s hope”, whereas Leia in Episode 4 speaks in very concrete terms:

“General Kenobi. Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars. ... I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan.”

Note that Leia says absolutely nothing about Obiwan’s religion, referring to him as ‘general’ instead of ‘master’ or whatever.

thrawn527 posted:

Where is this in the movie? I think supplemental material says he was writing a history of the Jedi, or something, and while doing so he came across a map to the first Jedi temple planet, which is where they assumed Luke went. But even ignoring that, where are you getting that he was researching Luke's life? That's certainly not in the movie.

It’s not in the movie, but it’s the only reason why this guy would specifically have clues to Luke’s location. They call it a map to Luke, not a map to the first Jedi temple or whatever.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 26, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Please do some basic fact checking on your posts ITT, it shouldn't have to fall to jivjov to correct misinformation that would be cleared up by a simple check of the ol' wook (short for wookieepedia). Cheers

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Nope, you need to be careful.

He'll be dead!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Chatbots have catch-phrases now?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The original Jedi texts Luke has in TLJ are actually laserdisc copies of eps IV-VI

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

No Mods No Masters posted:

Please do some basic fact checking on your posts ITT, it shouldn't have to fall to jivjov to correct misinformation that would be cleared up by a simple check of the ol' wook (short for wookieepedia). Cheers

In TFA, it’s implied that Luke deliberately left behind clues to his location. This was then retconned out, so it’s left implicit that the old guy must have found the clues himself.

When we’re shown a picture of the map, it’s a trail of connected dots, presumably places Luke had visited. That’s what the old guy was researching.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The original Jedi texts Luke has in TLJ are actually laserdisc copies of eps IV-VI

It's the script

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

It's the script

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
This is a good time to jump in and say that I finally watched TLJ.

Drunk with my friend. We roasted the poo poo out of it.

+The books are Luke's manga collection. When Yoda lights the thing on fire he screams "nooo! You can't even get Devilman Lady outside Japan!"

+When Kylo wakes up to see Luke's lightsaber leveled at his face Luke hisses "ANSWER ME BOY.... Rei or Asuka?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Harime Nui posted:

+When Kylo wakes up to see Luke's lightsaber leveled at his face Luke hisses "ANSWER ME BOY.... Rei or Asuka?"

"Well, which Rei do you mean? Rei II or Rei III?"
"I... I don't know, I-AARRGGGHHHHH" Luke is catapulted into the ravine

oh wait wrong movie lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rian Johnson owns

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
When Tarkin refers to Darth as the last of the Jedi, are we to take that as a continuity error (similar to “Darth” being his actual first name in IV), or does Tarkin have some inside knowledge of Vader’s true background? Or is the fact that the Emperor is a Sith Lord still something of a secret in the OT?

Like, are average people in the OT aware of the emperor’s sith affiliation? Jedis have descended into the realm of history or myth by the time of ANH. It just seems like something Lucas couldn’t write around. It’s especially odd given that Vader was referred to as a dark lord of the sith in the 1976 novelization. I guess we can only conclude that Tarkin knows the inside scoop and is blasé about throwing that knowledge around at the board room meeting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't expect that the average person would know much of anything about the circumstances of how Palpatine became Emperor, aside from the lie he used to take power which was that the Jedi tried to assassinate him and he survived.

It's not clear that people really know what a Sith even is, because they had fallen into legend by the time of the prequels, so add another 25 years to that and I doubt it's a word many are familiar with. The Emperor having a Jedi as his personal bagman wouldn't necessarily cause people to assume a Sith connection because it wouldn't occur to anybody to consider it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jewmanji posted:

When Tarkin refers to Darth as the last of the Jedi, are we to take that as a continuity error (similar to “Darth” being his actual first name in IV), or does Tarkin have some inside knowledge of Vader’s true background? Or is the fact that the Emperor is a Sith Lord still something of a secret in the OT?

I doubt it a secret so much as trivial knowledge. Vader sided with Palpatine against the rest of the Jedi during their coup, but that was twenty years ago by then.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jewmanji posted:

does Tarkin have some inside knowledge of Vader’s true background?

It's not a secret; Vader is openly states that Obiwan is his old Jedi master, and later declares himself the new master. Vader's point is that his ability with the force is such that he has surpassed the Jedi (who are similar to the Sith in almost every way). Palpatine, on the other hand, was never a Jedi.

But it is very important to keep POV in mind when looking at characterization. To all the people in the galaxy, Darth Sidious was never caught and is presumably still at large. Yoda was one of the only people who strongly suspected that Darth Sidious was Palpatine's alias, but went into exile before he could prove anything. The trickiest thing is that not even Palpatine cares about the Darth Sidious persona. Being a Sith, with all the code-names and whatnot, is apparently just something he did as a lark.

When Luke talks about Darth Sidious rising up and wiping out all the Jedi in TLJ, it's unclear where he got that idea (from Obiwan or Yoda, or from their ghosts? Or is he just guessing?).

Another point is that, after Episode 6, the only thing anyone knows about the throne room battle is that Luke went up to the Death Star and came back with Vader's body. Nobody actually knows what happened except Luke - who of course badly misinterpreted events.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 26, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn’t Rey know. I thought everyone had seen the OT by the time of the sequels.

Edit

Rey: And a Jedi who saved him. Yes. Your father was the most hated man in the galaxy. He caused so much death and destruction for many years. But you saw there was conflict inside him. You believed that he wasn't gone. That he could be turned.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 26, 2018

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Pressing F to pay respects to everyone who fell for this joke 🙏🏼

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

euphronius posted:

Didn’t Rey know. I thought everyone had seen the OT by the time of the sequels.

Rey is familiar with The Legend Of Luke Skywalker, but that legend was originally created by Luke himself. People across the galaxy only ever knew Luke’s version of events - which, as we now know, is hugely unreliable.

Here’s another example of why it’s important to take POV into account:

FN never finds out that Holdo had a secret plan, or that she sacrifices herself. He never finds out why the big ship got smashed up, saving them from being executed. He also never finds out that they got caught because a droid spotted BB-8’s crummy disguise.

As far as FN knows, DJ was always a traitor working for the First Order. And, as far as he knows, he is still on a mission to help Poe save the Resistance from Holdo’s stupidity.

These misunderstandings lead FN to falsely conclude that DJ was lying, which why he sides with Rose and ultimately tries to kill himself. People in the audience get confused because their POV and FN’s POV do not in any way align. We in the audience are shown at every step that FN and Rose are dumb.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Arguing that these films would miss a chance to namedrop a location from the OT in order to rename a planet isn't so much an uphill battle as it is an attempt to reach escape velocity by jumping.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rey is familiar with The Legend Of Luke Skywalker, but that legend was originally created by Luke himself. People across the galaxy only ever knew Luke’s version of events - which, as we now know, is hugely unreliable.

That makes sense thanks

You can imagine him writing a popular autobiography or something after ROTJ.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hodgepodge posted:

Arguing that these films would miss a chance to namedrop a location from the OT in order to rename a planet isn't so much an uphill battle as it is an attempt to reach escape velocity by jumping.

The entire MO of the Disney canon is to make everything slightly dumber and give it a different name. Hence Hosnia, Supreme Leader Snoke, The First Order...

Jakku is Tatooine 40 years after its leader was assassinated and a massive battle took place in its upper atmosphere.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The entire MO of the Disney canon is to make everything slightly dumber and give it a different name. Hence Hosnia, Supreme Leader Snoke, The First Order...

Jakku is Tatooine 40 years after its leader was assassinated and a massive battle took place in its upper atmosphere.

Seriously where the hell are you getting this from? Is this one of those times where you're speaking metaphorically but mixing it with literal stuff?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jewmanji posted:

does Tarkin have some inside knowledge of Vader’s true background?

Tarkin knows what he is, he just doesn't know who he is, he only suspects.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Being a Sith, with all the code-names and whatnot, is apparently just something he did as a lark.

One of the cleverest omissions in the prequels is the near absence of information on who the Sith were and what they believed. Over the course of all three films what we know sums up to:

1) They held control over the galaxy before the Republic.
2) They didn't restrict themselves in matters of the force.
3) They were wiped out over a millennia ago.

The only detail we have of their actual values is the Darth Plagueis fable, the aesop of which (according to Palpatine) is "don't be afraid of losing power." (!)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Seriously where the hell are you getting this from? Is this one of those times where you're speaking metaphorically but mixing it with literal stuff?

This was also in a recently deleted Rian Johnson tweet. Keep up!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Basebf555 posted:

Yes, you should be used to this by now.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tarkin calls vader a jedi for the same reason npcs in kotor would refer to the big previous jedi vs sith war as 'the jedi civil war', when you're on the outside of jedi nonsense you don't care about those kinds of distinctions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

Seriously where the hell are you getting this from?

From the fact that it fills the exact same thematic role, whereas Jedha (for example) is a holy site.