Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tai chi styles are largely about teaching lineage. Go check places out in oerson. Avoid the ones that advertise some kind of ~realistic tai chi self defense~. Don't commit to a long membership. But conversely don't run the moment you hear the word "chi" either.

Ask if the place does shuai jiao or push hands as a sport. Those are probably the most "legit" tai chi schools.

Or something. I dunno, I don't do tai chi. Trust your gut when you try trad arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

mewse posted:

Yoga is cool

How many of you guys/girls integrate yoga into their BJJ regimen? How has it helped you? Just curious.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

How many of you guys/girls integrate yoga into their BJJ regimen? How has it helped you? Just curious.

I'm just getting back into BJJ now, but I fully intend to regularly train yoga at the same time.

So while I can't talk too directly, I can say there's a lot of nice overlap. If you train BJJ you'll find yoga a very natural thing to get into-- twisting your body into interesting positions and holding them will feel normal to you. If you stretch after a BJJ class to try and increase your flexibility, well you'll get similar or better results from taking yoga. Give it a try.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Siivola posted:

Trust your gut when you try trad arts.

I don't like that advice because people have 0 instinct when it comes to a lot of physical activity and martial arts.
I would say be cautious and get skeptical opinions.

Mr Enderby posted:

Hi guys. I'm thinking about going to some tai chi type classes. I'm hoping it will improve my balance and coordination a bit, and at the very least should be relaxing.

As far as I'm able to google, it seems like qigong is more spiritual and (alternatively) medicinal, and taijiquan has more of an emphasis on practical balance and similar. Is that right, and beyond that, what do the different schools and traditions focus on? I'm based in London, so there's a huge range of options.
In the US, qigong refers to the meditative end of the spectrum. Like some qigong classes might just be sitting in the lotus position and going through a meditation routine. I'm sure there's other classes that have movement.

Taijiquan ought to be taught as forms with some guidance on when to flow and when to "fajin" -- exerting power in the right limbs / along the right axes to maximize your technique.
This ideally should be done with a minimum of vague references to qi/energy flowing through you. But certainly those schools exist.

quote:

I'm not interested in combat or sport, but also not really into the woo side (it doesn't offend me, just not my thing). I basically want something that will a) be relaxing, and b) help me be more aware of my body.
Taichi can be good in that it forces you to pace yourself and stay calm. The forms (like any kata-style art) are good for balance and coordination.
Some of the forms, especially going slow, are actually pretty tiring, like any decent exercise. So whether you consider that relaxing is up to you.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I've done yoga stuff intermittently. I'm the surprisingly flexible guy at my gym. it probably has helped prevent an injury or two

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I owe my hip, spine, and leg dexterity/flexibility to flirting with Yoga previous to BJJ. I can do things 220+ dudes just should not be capable of.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Wangsbig posted:

I've done yoga stuff intermittently. I'm the surprisingly flexible guy at my gym. it probably has helped prevent an injury or two

Yeah thats kind of what I was wondering is how much it would help with back issues, which seem to be the majority of injuries especially among older grapplers.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

I don't like that advice because people have 0 instinct when it comes to a lot of physical activity and martial arts.
I would say be cautious and get skeptical opinions.
That’s fair. I was thinking more about the social athmosphere, since lots of people pick up traditional martial arts to have a cool experience more than for any practical purposes. If the first impression's bad, you're probably not going to lose anything if you walk away, and if it's good, you're probably not going to get punched in the throat out of the blue.

But I guess there's those scammy places that sweet-talk people into joining and then turn out to be actual cults, so I guess it's still better to be sceptical?

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Yoga is great and there’s a low barrier to entry. Get a cheap mat and some blocks and hop over to the yoga thread for some good DIY resources.

I started using yoga routines to try and come into my splits and extend my roundhouse range and they’ve helped with recovery and balance quite a bit. Now I wind down after every class or weightlifting session with a routine. Flexibility helps with life in general but majorly for martial arts like BJJ or kyokushin.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Siivola posted:

That’s fair. I was thinking more about the social athmosphere, since lots of people pick up traditional martial arts to have a cool experience more than for any practical purposes. If the first impression's bad, you're probably not going to lose anything if you walk away, and if it's good, you're probably not going to get punched in the throat out of the blue.

But I guess there's those scammy places that sweet-talk people into joining and then turn out to be actual cults, so I guess it's still better to be sceptical?

First line of scrutiny should be whether they're making bullshit efficacy claims, and whether their payment/trial offers are sane. Don't even darken the door at a place that doesn't offer a free trial class and/or makes people commit to long contracts. Those two things should filter the actual cults.

Second line of scrutiny is overall vibe, as you say.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Defenestrategy posted:

Qigong is 95% woo and 5% cool body tricks. Find Tai Chi or better yet Yoga.

Yoga is fun, but wasn't relaxing for me. A lot of the standing poses were hard on my hosed knee. I imagine a good teacher could work around that, but hard to do in a group setting.

There's a place that does taijiquan with push hands fairly near me. I'm going to give it a go. I'll tell you guys if I end up in a cult.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone know where I might be able to buy rattan sticks for cheap, online and in person? Living in NYC so I figure there's at least one place. Trying to start up a baton fighting club.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

If I don't do yoga at least once a week while doing BJJ my body starts falling apart, low back pain comes back, IT band issue flares up, hip starts to hurt, shoulders hurt. I recommend it to all who do BJJ. When I used to train at your school actually I was signed up for a yoga class at Palomar, it was perfect.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

Anyone know where I might be able to buy rattan sticks for cheap, online and in person? Living in NYC so I figure there's at least one place. Trying to start up a baton fighting club.
Places that supply furniture makers and well-stocked hardware stores are the cheapest, but good luck finding 'em. Martial arts stores often stock kali sticks, and rattan jo and bo staves aren't uncommon. Or just order from https://www.woodenswords.com

Out of curiousity, what kind of baton are we talking here?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

What size do you need?

The standard SCA 30"-36" length by 1.25" diameter is easy to get, and you can saw it in half if you want two sticks. Or up to 9', but shipping on those starts to suck.

I generally got mine from Master Eirik, and he does good prices. Somewhere well under ten bucks, skin on or shaved. Be aware that he's probably at Pennsic until mid-August at this point, not sure if he ships until he gets back.

Edit: Look under Youth Combat Rattan if you want thinner 1" OD stuff, not sure what fits the style you're looking for.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 26, 2018

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Looking for something similar to the grand baton sold on Purple Heart, 55” in length with a similar diameter. Worst case scenario I go through them which isn’t so bad but if I could get something cheaper that’s preferable, since I plan on ordering bulk.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is $17 not a good price? How long does it last?

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Hello. I have a few questions.

First off, has anyone here studied ryu-te? I practiced it when I was in middle school, and later when I was maybe 19-20. From what I understand, it's basic karate.

Secondly, how well does that hold up to other arts? I'm guessing the answer is "muay thai is better" as it seems to have grown considerably in popularity. I also understand that I mostly learned striking, and have a major gap in knowledge of grappling and throws.

It may only be a dream, but I'd like to join the UFC someday. I don't want to be the next CM Punk and get told "I'm all heart" for getting my rear end kicked as long as I can take it. I'm far from physically ready due to a multitude of setbacks, but I'd like to make a game plan.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bob human being posted:

but I'd like to make a game plan.

If your current school doesn't offer coaching and opportunities to fight on amateur cards for local promotions, you should at least find a school that does.
What area are you in so people can recommend places to check out?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Learning an obscure cousin of karate is a fine choice if you have no interest in any kind of competition, but if your interest is in MMA, you'd be better served jumping directly into one of the component arts: Boxing, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Wrestling, or Sambo. 99.5% of MMA is those five arts blended together. You might also find a school that has an "MMA" class, which is good too if the school is legit and puts forth decent competitors.

You'll occasionally find a karate guy competing in MMA, but he'll also have studied those other five arts extensively, what he's doing will have been so heavily adapted that it won't look like karate anymore, and he was probably a karate world champion to begin with.

mewse
May 2, 2006

bob human being posted:

Hello. I have a few questions.

First off, has anyone here studied ryu-te? I practiced it when I was in middle school, and later when I was maybe 19-20. From what I understand, it's basic karate.

Secondly, how well does that hold up to other arts? I'm guessing the answer is "muay thai is better" as it seems to have grown considerably in popularity. I also understand that I mostly learned striking, and have a major gap in knowledge of grappling and throws.

It may only be a dream, but I'd like to join the UFC someday. I don't want to be the next CM Punk and get told "I'm all heart" for getting my rear end kicked as long as I can take it. I'm far from physically ready due to a multitude of setbacks, but I'd like to make a game plan.

Your dream to compete in the UFC is unrealistic. It's like someone in their 20s saying "I'd like to play major league baseball" when they played a few seasons of little league as a kid. I would suggest if you speak to trainers local to you, you say "my dream is to compete in amateur MMA", which is much more achievable but still an incredibly tough goal.

Your martial arts experience probably means jack and you would have been better off participating in boxing or wrestling growing up.

Find an MMA gym local to you that trains UFC level guys, they will give you better advice.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

If your current school doesn't offer coaching and opportunities to fight on amateur cards for local promotions, you should at least find a school that does.
What area are you in so people can recommend places to check out?

Thank you for the quick reply. I haven't been to school in several years. The last time I was in the academy, I earned a new belt and told my teacher I'd pick it up in a few years once I felt I had earned it.

I spent a few years practicing on my own at a sports oriented gym. A young man saw me on the heavy bag and mentioned a place across the street that would help me find fights.

I live close to Washington DC.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Learning an obscure cousin of karate is a fine choice if you have no interest in any kind of competition, but if your interest is in MMA, you'd be better served jumping directly into one of the component arts: Boxing, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Wrestling, or Sambo. 99.5% of MMA is those five arts blended together. You might also find a school that has an "MMA" class, which is good too if the school is legit and puts forth decent competitors.

You'll occasionally find a karate guy competing in MMA, but he'll also have studied those other five arts extensively, what he's doing will have been so heavily adapted that it won't look like karate anymore, and he was probably a karate world champion to begin with.

This was the answer I both expected and wanted. May I ask why it isn't good for competition?

There is a grappling based school that recently opened down the street and I am considering checking it out. My hope is that it fill "fill the gap."

mewse posted:

Your dream to compete in the UFC is unrealistic. It's like someone in their 20s saying "I'd like to play major league baseball" when they played a few seasons of little league as a kid. I would suggest if you speak to trainers local to you, you say "my dream is to compete in amateur MMA", which is much more achievable but still an incredibly tough goal.

Your martial arts experience probably means jack and you would have been better off participating in boxing or wrestling growing up.

Find an MMA gym local to you that trains UFC level guys, they will give you better advice.

I'm tempted to be all "I'll show you" but I did come here and ask for advice and I think you've made a very apt comparison.

just bob fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 27, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bob human being posted:

This was the answer I both expected and wanted. May I ask why it isn't good for competition?
It's really the way it's trained. If you don't do any real sparring, you won't know how to use your technique in an open ruleset like MMA.

Can karate work? Yes, there's elite fighters who use its tactics and techniques.
The difference maker is who they train with and how much time they put in. And of course some favorable genetics.

quote:

There is a grappling based school that recently opened down the street and I am considering checking it out. My hope is that it fill "fill the gap."

Link to school? I would think of your current starting point as not knowing anything. So unless you have extremely ingrained point-sparring techniques (reverse punches, roof blocks), better to think of yourself as an empty cup.
That's why finding good instruction is important -- you have to trust others to teach you the right stuff.

e: you're never going to be more than twice as good as everyone else at your gym. They're the ones who offer the challenges that make you better.
So whatever random school you show up at is highly unlikely to take you all the way into the UFC, if all your training partners don't compete and couldn't last a couple minutes in an amateur fight.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 27, 2018

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

bob human being posted:

The reality is that most martial arts are utter bullshit. If you watch UFCs 1-5, you’ll see a bunch of people representing a bunch of martial arts, all of which think they’re badasses, walk into a ring and then realize they know almost nothing about fighting. The good arts don’t teach you a technique and then trust that it works, they relentlessly test everything in competition against resisting opponents. It’s all as empirical as you can make it. Even if you can make it work at the amateur level, can you find video evidence of it working at the highest levels of MMA? If you can, how recent is it? Have there been recent developments that render it obsolete? If a martial art doesn’t have one of these feedback loops, it doesn’t work.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The other issue is time commitment. The guys fighting UFC are paid to train for the most part and are able to dedicate their weeks to training. Not going to work, cooking, etc, etc. I assume as a twenty/thirty something year old goon you work for a living.

edit: Screw it though shoot for the stars, find an MMA/BJJ/KickBoxing/Grappling gym and train your rear end off.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 27, 2018

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

It's really the way it's trained. If you don't do any real sparring, you won't know how to use your technique in an open ruleset like MMA.

Can karate work? Yes, there's elite fighters who use its tactics and techniques.
The difference maker is who they train with and how much time they put in. And of course some favorable genetics.

Link to school? I would think of your current starting point as not knowing anything. So unless you have extremely ingrained point-sparring techniques (reverse punches, roof blocks), better to think of yourself as an empty cup.
That's why finding good instruction is important -- you have to trust others to teach you the right stuff.

I learned under the tutelage of Peter Polander. At one point I told an older student that I was worried I was at a mcdojo within earshot of him, and I admittedly can't read what my teacher thought of that. I've heard that his teacher, Taika Oyata is well respected. Mentioning that feels like some kind of "ancient oriental ancestry of the art" namedrop, although I do respect them both highly.

I had to look up what a reverse punch and roof block were. Yes, I perform them reflexively. Nonetheless I think the cup metaphor is a great thing to keep in mind.

I just noticed your edit. I used to spar with opponent who outweighed me in the mindset of people being bigger than me having the potential to be more dangerous if I were to get in a street fight.

Here is the website of the nearby school, not the one I went to when I was younger. https://poolesvilleselfdefense.com/

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The reality is that most martial arts are utter bullshit. If you watch UFCs 1-5, you’ll see a bunch of people representing a bunch of martial arts, all of which think they’re badasses, walk into a ring and then realize they know almost nothing about fighting. The good arts don’t teach you a technique and then trust that it works, they relentlessly test everything in competition against resisting opponents. It’s all as empirical as you can make it. Even if you can make it work at the amateur level, can you find video evidence of it working at the highest levels of MMA? If you can, how recent is it? Have there been recent developments that render it obsolete? If a martial art doesn’t have one of these feedback loops, it doesn’t work.

That's what worries me. I can't find any professional or amateur fights featuring people from my school. Training was usually full contact. The only time we did point based practice, I failed spectacularly and my teacher never had us do it again, at least when I was there.

Defenestrategy posted:

The other issue is time commitment. The guys fighting UFC are paid to train for the most part and are able to dedicate their weeks to training. Not going to work, cooking, etc, etc. I assume as a twenty/thirty something year old goon you work for a living.

edit: Screw it though shoot for the stars, find an MMA/BJJ/KickBoxing/Grappling gym and train your rear end off.

I set my own hours so I can easily fit in 3-4 hours of practice at the gym and school. I'm currently resting due to a foot surgery, and unfortunately I may have to get it checked out again as the doctor said there is a possibility of issues with the bones in my toes. I'm usually a "walk it off" guy and that attitude may have made things worse.

What I'd like to do is donate a heavy bag to my gym(they already said they'd be happy to accept one,) get back into weight lifting, restart yoga, go to the school if it's legitimate, and do Shaun T's Insanity workout DVDs again for cardio.

Edit: I also learned capoeria when I was very young, and have gotten a lot of advice from boxers and muay thai practitioners as well as some taekwondo. I probably should have said this at the start but I've been in many street fights, including a grown man when I was in elementary school. It's my belief that my biggest issue in fights is considering myself to be in enough danger to fight back, and I need someone basically tell me "hey that guy hit you and now you've got an excuse to hit him back."

just bob fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 27, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bob human being posted:

Edit: I also learned capoeria when I was very young, and have gotten a lot of advice from boxers and muay thai practitioners as well as some taekwondo. I probably should have said this at the start but I've been in many street fights, including a grown man when I was in elementary school. It's my belief that my biggest issue in fights is considering myself to be in enough danger to fight back, and I need someone basically tell me "hey that guy hit you and now you've got an excuse to hit him back."

Alright, potential goon fight of the millenium is Neon Bellybob human being vs Willie_Dee

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That school doesn't look to me as if it can take someone into MMA.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

CommonShore posted:

Perhaps if I tell them what my goals are? The S3 program tells me that their main goal is to teach deescalation of a bad situation. Which is of course fair socially. It's what most people learning martial arts gather, even if their initial intent is just to gently caress someone up. If I am to strive to compete, I'm going to have to be honest and upfront and say "I've got a lot under my belt and I'm not looking to earn my certificate of 20th dan I need to be able to hurt someone in a controlled environment."

I forgot to mention I've done fencing and JKD as well.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

bob human being posted:

Perhaps if I tell them what my goals are? The S3 program tells me that their main goal is to teach deescalation of a bad situation. Which is of course fair socially. It's what most people learning martial arts gather, even if their initial intent is just to gently caress someone up. If I am to strive to compete, I'm going to have to be honest and upfront and say "I've got a lot under my belt and I'm not looking to earn my certificate of 20th dan I need to be able to hurt someone in a controlled environment."

If you want to fight you need to go to a gym that produces fighters. End of story.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bob human being posted:

A school that has an "Adult Self-Defense" class instead of a "Beginners Jiu Jitsu" class, with nothing resembling a "Competition Team" session on the schedule is not equipped to take you into MMA.

To get there you need to spend about 10h each on grappling and on striking every week, with as many crossover classes as you can get. On top of that, you need to get your fitness to where it can sustain that kind of training. Lastly, if you're not sparring regularly with people who are skilled at either, or preferably both, of those disciplines, you won't be prepared.

So if a club doesn't have multiple 90 minute sessions for BJJ, Wrestling, and Muai Thai, with an MMA class, it won't get there. For reference, here's the schedule for my organization's head gym, which has put people into the UFC (including the most recent TUF winner). Note the type and density of the classes:

https://wamma.website/hq/

The people with MMA aspirations do two classes per day at least a few times per week, and then they manage their own strength and conditioning outside of that, and then find time to do extra sparring.

Cage fighting is not a part-time thing or a hobby. You do it full out or not at all. You will not get into a ring within your first two years of training unless you're some kind of savant, and even then probably only if you're a heavyweight.

What I recommend is that you go check out the school. Do every class you can get into and keep your mouth shut about wanting to be a pro fighter or get into the UFC - going on about that will make you sound like a delusional dork, and we get people like that at our club asking questions all the time. You have no loving clue how many people we get who come in and say that they want to fight and who show up once and never come back. I even have people who come in to ask questions and then never show up once when I tell them that they need to be a member for at least 6 months and training in both striking and grappling before the instructors will invite them to the MMA sessions. I had a guy this week answer "street fights" when I asked him if he had any martial arts experience.

So go to the school and go to the classes. Train smart and avoid getting injured, and just learn. BJJ will be humiliating at first. Muai Thai will be body-breaking and exhausting at first. Work through that. If you stick it out for 6 months, then ask your instructor if he has any suggestions about how to go about preparing for and getting an amateur MMA fight.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

CommonShore posted:

A school that has an "Adult Self-Defense" class instead of a "Beginners Jiu Jitsu" class, with nothing resembling a "Competition Team" session on the schedule is not equipped to take you into MMA.

To get there you need to spend about 10h each on grappling and on striking every week, with as many crossover classes as you can get. On top of that, you need to get your fitness to where it can sustain that kind of training. Lastly, if you're not sparring regularly with people who are skilled at either, or preferably both, of those disciplines, you won't be prepared.

So if a club doesn't have multiple 90 minute sessions for BJJ, Wrestling, and Muai Thai, with an MMA class, it won't get there. For reference, here's the schedule for my organization's head gym, which has put people into the UFC (including the most recent TUF winner). Note the type and density of the classes:

https://wamma.website/hq/

The people with MMA aspirations do two classes per day at least a few times per week, and then they manage their own strength and conditioning outside of that, and then find time to do extra sparring.

Cage fighting is not a part-time thing or a hobby. You do it full out or not at all. You will not get into a ring within your first two years of training unless you're some kind of savant, and even then probably only if you're a heavyweight.

What I recommend is that you go check out the school. Do every class you can get into and keep your mouth shut about wanting to be a pro fighter or get into the UFC - going on about that will make you sound like a delusional dork, and we get people like that at our club asking questions all the time. You have no loving clue how many people we get who come in and say that they want to fight and who show up once and never come back. I even have people who come in to ask questions and then never show up once when I tell them that they need to be a member for at least 6 months and training in both striking and grappling before the instructors will invite them to the MMA sessions. I had a guy this week answer "street fights" when I asked him if he had any martial arts experience.

So go to the school and go to the classes. Train smart and avoid getting injured, and just learn. BJJ will be humiliating at first. Muai Thai will be body-breaking and exhausting at first. Work through that. If you stick it out for 6 months, then ask your instructor if he has any suggestions about how to go about preparing for and getting an amateur MMA fight.

Yes sir.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

If their BJJ credentials are real it could be legit but the whole self defense thing is mcdojo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bob human being posted:

I probably should have said this at the start but I've been in many street fights, including a grown man when I was in elementary school. It's my belief that my biggest issue in fights is considering myself to be in enough danger to fight back, and I need someone basically tell me "hey that guy hit you and now you've got an excuse to hit him back."

Your biggest issue is that you don't have any relevant experience in combat sports. Street fights don't mean poo poo.

I think there's an undercurrent of "what style is best?" that you need to shake. If you get good enough to compete at the pro level, your style will be pretty tailored to your body and attributes.

bob human being posted:

If I am to strive to compete, I'm going to have to be honest and upfront and say "I've got a lot under my belt and I'm not looking to earn my certificate of 20th dan I need to be able to hurt someone in a controlled environment."
What does 'a lot under my belt' mean?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The best reality check is doing a sub wrestling round with an amateur fighter. Or if they're cool and you're not spazzy try a very light striking session.

We had a couple UFC guys come visit our BJJ gym when I was 22 and it knocked all professional aspirations right out of my head. A bit later also got to do a cool down round (for him) with a pro boxer.

There are levels to this poo poo

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Every week I have a fresh new face in the gym who walks in all worked up and in his own head about becoming the killing machine he thinks he can be based on fighting with his brothers a lot growing up or getting into scrapes at the basketball court across the street.

Its always the same story about "yeah I know how to fight I'm just here because I'm so good at fighting I'm pretty sure I can go pro" or "I used to train in a deadly martial art so powerful that we can't even use it in a fight or we'll be charged with war crimes" or some variant similar to that. 100 percent of the time these folks never actually come back or they take one trial class and are gone forever.

Don't be that guy. If you have no competitive experience then you have no competitive experience and thats where you're at. Go to a muay thai gym, a bjj gym, a judo club, a boxing gym, literally any combat sport will do. Don't waste your own energy bringing in a bunch of your old baggage. Go to where you need to go and be there to learn. If anything you used to do has applications you'll find them naturally.

You just need to get in there and put in the work. Everything else will sort itself out.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Is $17 not a good price? How long does it last?

I've seen them go as low as $10 for similar lengths, or you can buy them in cheap 9" poles and cut them yourself. They can last fairly long if you're training relatively slowly. In competition tho I've seen them fray and shatter pretty easily. That's usually because of brutal people swinging them like crazy.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Defenestrategy posted:

Alright, potential goon fight of the millenium is Neon Bellybob human being vs Willie_Dee

I've been training for literally no reason?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

You're in the greater Washington DC area? Start here:
http://www.virginiabjj.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

I've been training for literally no reason?

double elimination tournament then?