Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

The amount of Spider-Man books coming out in October is insane. Like, more spidey u books than the the rest of whats being put out combined it feels like. The redesign of spiderlings costume on the spider-girls variant specifically so you can see the cleavage of a teenage girl is pretty gross too

The variant by Amy Reeder, you mean? And it just looks like she's drawing it like it's made of fabric and not vacuum sealed on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah i saw that amy did it after i posted which makes me even more like wha. I dunno maybe youre right and you can chalk it up to some perspective thing, it just looks different to me

as opposed to this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thompson’s Jessica Jones is really good, and putting it out quickly is awesome. She does write Jessica maybe a *bit* too much like she wrote Kate, but that’s a minor complaint. Looking forward to more.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Open Marriage Night posted:

So, they're just giving you all the best Spider-Men? Your two should team up because punk and giant robots actually go hand in hand.

I think it's going to be really good, Sheldon and I are working on some neat stuff for it. I have one more Marvel gig in the pipe, but it hasn't been announced. It's been a busy summer.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Endless Mike posted:

Thompson’s Jessica Jones is really good, and putting it out quickly is awesome. She does write Jessica maybe a *bit* too much like she wrote Kate, but that’s a minor complaint. Looking forward to more.

The secret is that Jessica is actually very much like Kate in her goofy way. She's just a bit older ans the world decided to mess with her life quite a lot, so she thinks she has to be a grumpy alcoholic.

My interpretation ist that Jessica sort of sees the similarities, which is why she can be a bit annoyed by Kate. But Kate sees her als one of her biggest heros and wants so much to be like her. :3:

Come to think of it, I really like how Kate can keep dunking on Clint and see how he's sometimes a mess, even though he's her childhood hero, who inspired her path in life.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Roth posted:

Oh, I didn't know Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man run was ending. That's a bummer.

On the other hand

:)

Oh my god is Gurihiru finally getting a new series

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
X-23 continues to be good

Always trademark your name

I don't think its really a spoiler at all but just in case

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah that third panel was dope as hell.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
UGH why do I have to work for so many more hours. I just wanna read the new issue of Honey Badger and her Sister.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
X-23 #1 & 2 and Mr & Mrs X #1 are such great examples of comics with a clear goal and creative teams that are totally in sync and full of creative energy. So good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So rip thanos i guess

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Someone I trust opinions of told me to check out Donny Cates run of Venom of this morning knowing I don't like symbiotes or Venom in general outside of the Agent Venom/Spaceknight stuff. I figured it was only a few issues so why not. Welp. OK Cates. After the first couple issues I wasn't really feeling it but I got to today's issue and I'll begrudgingly admit that was a genius twist and has me interested in symbiotes now. Tying their origin in Gorr The God Butcher and the Necrosword is actually pretty drat cool. That's the whole reason he told me this morning because he knew how much I loved that Thor storyline.

This is the most interesting symbiotes have ever been to me. Since I'm a notorious symbiote hater I'm going to assume most others will hate this turn of events.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Someone I trust opinions of told me to check out Donny Cates run of Venom of this morning knowing I don't like symbiotes or Venom in general outside of the Agent Venom/Spaceknight stuff. I figured it was only a few issues so why not. Welp. OK Cates. After the first couple issues I wasn't really feeling it but I got to today's issue and I'll begrudgingly admit that was a genius twist and has me interested in symbiotes now. Tying their origin in Gorr The God Butcher and the Necrosword is actually pretty drat cool. That's the whole reason he told me this morning because he knew how much I loved that Thor storyline.

This is the most interesting symbiotes have ever been to me. Since I'm a notorious symbiote hater I'm going to assume most others will hate this turn of events.

Yeah, I was not expecting that to show up in Venom AT ALL! Loved it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'd love to see the room at the Marvel retreat when that idea came up.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'd love to see the room at the Marvel retreat when that idea came up.

I just want to see them run with my idea if they ever do another Marvel/DC crossover. Where Saint Walker is just Gorr from a different universe if he went down a markedly different path.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does that mean when Peter had the symbiote he was Parker, the Necro-Spider?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I groaned. Now when all black shows up in thor it cant just be a cool thing, its VENOM THOR or VENOM LOKI and just thats dumb as gently caress. Way to poo poo in aarons sandbox

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

I groaned. Now when all black shows up in thor it cant just be a cool thing, its VENOM THOR or VENOM LOKI and just thats dumb as gently caress. Way to poo poo in aarons sandbox

You're making a pretty strong assumption that Aaron A, didn't know about this and B. isn't cool with it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So Spider-Man continues to not be terrible, but I'm hesitant to let myself enjoy it, or be anything but supremely guarded. I've been burned too many times.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

You're making a pretty strong assumption that Aaron A, didn't know about this and B. isn't cool with it

Fair

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I know that this is the grand tradition of the past 10-20 years of comics but considering they just made a big deal about how they're finally bringing back the Classic Eddie Brock/Venom pairing fans have been clamoring for, to almost immediately pivot into goofy Roy Thomas On Crank style "actually the symbiotes were made out of the shadow of a dark god and forged into mythic weapons in the skull of a Celestial and Grendel was actually a symbiote and Thor is Beowulf and there are symbiote dragons buried in the Earth used by the US military to fight in Vietnam" seems kind of at cross-purposes. I know a lot of people love this poo poo but maybe Venom could be a flawed human bonded with a weird alien thing trying to find justice in a world that doesn't understand him?

I know comics are a medium of endless possibility and etc. etc. etc. and Big Ideas are cool but also mmmmmmaybe those big ideas don't have to be Venom But Thor or Batman But the Joker or Spider-Man But They're 400 Of Them or [character] But Old and so on and so forth?

Also a few things I want to acknowledge:

1) I realize that a large part of this is how the modern American comics landscape works, that creators have little to no incentive to add a genuinely new idea into the ecosystems of either Big Two Universe if it's not inextricably tied to an existing property because they can just save that idea for an Image/Dark Horse/etc. book where they actually own the characters and get to control them and reap the rewards of creating a Hellboy or Invincible or whomever.

2) This is also NOT the same thing as complaining about "Wolverine But a Girl" or "Iron Man But Black" since those are stories about human beings and exploring how the symbolism of the characters mean and their roles in the world change with a new person holding a mantle in a way that when done well is still a human story with human stakes and drama and development in a way that 'actually there have been Hawkeyes throughout all history check out this one alternate universe Evil Cyborg Vampire Gambit But Hawkeye eight pager and then this double page spread of Spider-Ham Hawkeye and Old Man Matt Murdock Hawkeye and Cosmic Hawkeye getting eaten by Eagle-Eye, the eldtrich beast that eats the eyes of Hawks to get vision so good it can destroy the multiverse!' does not.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 26, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I guess my response would be

- None of these changes make Venom not a flawed human bonded with a weird alien thing trying to find justice in a world that doesn't understand him

- We had a pretty good year of solid if unremarkable Venom comics (I think the only really stand-out being the issue from the symbiote's point of view) before the big shake up.

- "Venom but 400 of him" has been a part of the character since the 90's

I'm essentially saying I don't see how any of that's a problem.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It's less a problem and more of a story I don't have any interest in? Which in this particular case of Venom is a non-unique disadvantage because I've never cared that much about Venom outside of a few stories/runs, but catching up on Venom this week in the face of releases and solicitations and announcements about Spider-Geddon, Infinity Warps, Old Man/Lady _____________, Three Jokers, Dank Multiverses, Extermination, Avengers 1,000,000 BC, Batman Who Laughs, even more What Ifs, etc. etc. etc. has me exhausted.

It's true that this doesn't change the core concept of Venom any more than my Hawkeyes vs. Eagleeyes thing doesn't change the core concept of Hawkeye being a guy with a bow and arrow, but it really gilds the lily and signals that for the foreseeable future we're going to get a bunch of stories about Symbiote Dragons and Creepy Mind Controlled Toxin and Operation Desert Venom and Symbiote Thor and Symbiote Miles Morales (which to be fair they've been leaning on for years, yes) and that does not excite me at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean I get it's not your thing just like the years of status quo for symbiotes wasn't mine. I'm glad they're doing something different and trying to expand it for people like me that didn't care for it the way it was. That's what comics should do. Bendis tried to do something similar with the Klyntar/Spaceknight stuff which I also enjoyed but most people seemed to hate as well. Well they didn't wait long after he left to turn that completely on its ear with this stuff. And as someone that did like the Bendis twist on it I think this is even better.

Comics are a cycle of trying new things and falling back when they fizzle or don't work out. That's just what they'll always be. I like that cycle personally because I can read a year of two of interesting stories with characters I didn't care for much before while they're doing something different with them. And sometime soon the fans of the classic versions will get their version back for a while.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Now Im wondering what the really really REALLY real origin of the symbiotes will be in 3 years

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

site posted:

Now Im wondering what the really really REALLY real origin of the symbiotes will be in 3 years

Spawn

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The symbiotes came from you, the fans, in all of your hearts.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

X-O posted:

Comics are a cycle of trying new things and falling back when they fizzle or don't work out. That's just what they'll always be. I like that cycle personally because I can read a year of two of interesting stories with characters I didn't care for much before while they're doing something different with them. And sometime soon the fans of the classic versions will get their version back for a while.
i'm not trying to be precious about Venom or any other character, the only sustained interest I've had in Venom was during the Rick Remender era Flash Thompson Agent Venom which was absolutely a big departure for the character, but it was also a pretty character-based story about Flash Thompson and dependence and heroism and etc.

This particular type of revamp always seems more interested in WORLDBUILDING (Vietnam Venom! Beowulf! Dead Celestials! A STORY SPANNING MILLENIA!) as opposed to, you know, anything particularly interesting for the characters. This seems kind of like Donny Cates's MO, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm just waiting to see what Gavok thinks.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

i'm not trying to be precious about Venom or any other character, the only sustained interest I've had in Venom was during the Rick Remender era Flash Thompson Agent Venom which was absolutely a big departure for the character, but it was also a pretty character-based story about Flash Thompson and dependence and heroism and etc.

This particular type of revamp always seems more interested in WORLDBUILDING (Vietnam Venom! Beowulf! Dead Celestials! A STORY SPANNING MILLENIA!) as opposed to, you know, anything particularly interesting for the characters. This seems kind of like Donny Cates's MO, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm mostly shocked by the implication that Marvel didn't already have a Beowulf.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Archyduke posted:

I'm mostly shocked by the implication that Marvel didn't already have a Beowulf.

They did!

Not to mention the previous implications that immortal characters like Gilgamesh and Ulysses Bloodstone were the source of the Beowulf myth and I feel like some sort of alien from the 1990s (maybe in Clan Destine?) was supposed to be Really Beowulf.

Also DC full on had a Beowulf comic during the DC Explosion/Implosion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair I don’t think many writers are gonna use that Venom twist. It will be swept aside in like three months tops

Which is good because it’s insanely dumb.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

as comics should be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Teenage Fansub posted:

as comics should be.

Comics disregarding everything stupid every three months would be interesting I will give you that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

i meant the insanely dumb part :)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ah nah that’s really boring.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

much

your

posting

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm also with comics ignoring whatever backstory doesn't work for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean between this, cosmic ghost rider, and thanos i could see cates making a niche for himself just writing cool but ridiculous plots that get retconned immediately