Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Phoenix just wanted to go on vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've always seen Apollo not mentioning the whole "killing lawyers that lose cases" thing to him as payback for when Phoenix had him use forged evidence during his first case.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

it just made me want AA7 more, like I need to know what the next move is for everyone

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

it just made me want AA7 more, like I need to know what the next move is for everyone

Make Athena as the main character you cowards.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

chumbler posted:

Make Athena as the main character you cowards.

And at least one trial vs. Franziska dangnabbit.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

And at least one trial vs. Franziska dangnabbit.

I’d love this so much, especially if it’s worked around Franziska still being an Interpol investigator but pressed to step in as a special prosecutor for day 2 or the last/next-to-last case of the game.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

chumbler posted:

Actually it's a huge mark against you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've been replaying SOJ lately and just want to say Toneido loving sucks and Geiru did nothing wrong

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Raising stakes is fine and good so long as we get cases like Storyteller to balance things out.

Storyteller is a great case and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

What we really need is Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney already. Come on Capcom.

Danaru posted:

I've been replaying SOJ lately and just want to say Toneido loving sucks and Geiru did nothing wrong

Geiru is a complete idiot and Storyteller is too short. Obviously, her father will give her his artist name even though she doesn't practice that art and he has other disciples. That checks out. It doesn't help that I accidentally solved the Udon/Soba twist because I wanted to point to the sheet of plastic in the picture as the murder weapon. That case needed another day and at least one more character so it isn't instantly obvious that she's the killer.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That could be said of every case in SoJ. Needing one more character, that is. All the cases have super compact casts so it's always incredibly obvious which role everyone is playing.

I always compare cases to Turnabout Samurai, which had not one, not two, but three witnesses on the stand before you actually got the killer up there and also a lot of incidental characters like cody and penny.

But oh well, it's the realities of not being able to just draw two sprites for characters who don't need to do much.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 26, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean the old paradigm was basically the same except you'd waste a day of the trial arguing some irrevant point before the obvious culprit was introduced.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also there’s likely a reason 3-3 is the only 3 day trial in the series

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

TheKingofSprings posted:

:confused:

There's exactly three three day trials in the series, and they're all the latter cases of the original Ace Attorney game. Every other case has been two days tops, unless you wanna count the last two cases of Dual Destinies as a single case.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's only 2 days. Only the first game has 3 day trials.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I meant 1-3, this is what I get for typing while walking into work :(

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Given the setup, 3-3 could be seen as having three trial days

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Amppelix posted:

That could be said of every case in SoJ.

I agree, Geiru even sucks in the cases she's not in.

You wouldn't necessarily need more characters if there was more doubt. The problem is that you usually completely rule out characters one by one making the last one to take the stand obviously guilty.

SoJ is good, but (6-5) why the hell does no one ever channel the founder? I get that it wouldn't be important to the case as written but I've had that drat orb waved in front of me for like 10 hours so Maya really should get on that. It could solve the "Rayfa can't channel spirits yet so I have to be Queen no matter what" thing Ga'ran goes for.

Also, Nahyuta mostly sucks. The constant stream of the same insults is really boring. It becomes even dumber when he has lost cases against everyone at the Agency. Clearly, I am better than these lawyers I keep getting thoroughly owned by and I will keep trying to get innocent people convicted. He has the same problem as Franziska in that they're both smug as gently caress but can't back it up. That just makes them bad versions of Edgeworth

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Brandfarlig posted:

SoJ is good, but (6-5) why the hell does no one ever channel the founder? I get that it wouldn't be important to the case as written but I've had that drat orb waved in front of me for like 10 hours so Maya really should get on that. It could solve the "Rayfa can't channel spirits yet so I have to be Queen no matter what" thing Ga'ran goes for.

Remember, you need the name of the person to channel them? The name that Maya got from the scroll in 6-3 was not the founder's name. The only person who knows the name would be the current Queen I believe.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Yukari posted:

Remember, you need the name of the person to channel them? The name that Maya got from the scroll in 6-3 was not the founder's name. The only person who knows the name would be the current Queen I believe.

Amara knows it too so that's easy to fix while also loving over Ga'ran which everyone is down for. You'd think a incredibly religious country would be interested in meeting their founder/Jesus

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Brandfarlig posted:

Also, Nahyuta mostly sucks. The constant stream of the same insults is really boring. It becomes even dumber when he has lost cases against everyone at the Agency. Clearly, I am better than these lawyers I keep getting thoroughly owned by and I will keep trying to get innocent people convicted. He has the same problem as Franziska in that they're both smug as gently caress but can't back it up. That just makes them bad versions of Edgeworth

Hey, Franziska at least has her deal where she desperately wants to be Manfred 2.0 and never really had a proper childhood, and you're gradually chipping away at her aspirations and self image until she returns in T&T as a meaningfully changed character. Nahyuta is just a huge dick for no real reason.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hey, Franziska at least has her deal where she desperately wants to be Manfred 2.0 and never really had a proper childhood, and you're gradually chipping away at her aspirations and self image until she returns in T&T as a meaningfully changed character. Nahyuta is just a huge dick for no real reason.

Yeah, I don't hate Franziska. She becomes good but at the start she's more grating than Edgeworth is and clearly doesn't have the record or swagger necessary to be Manfred. That's what I like about Klavier, he actually stays convinced that you're good at your job and starts 2v1ing lying witnesses because he cares about the truth and not just winning.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Yeah, I don't hate Franziska. She becomes good but at the start she's more grating than Edgeworth is and clearly doesn't have the record or swagger necessary to be Manfred. That's what I like about Klavier, he actually stays convinced that you're good at your job and starts 2v1ing lying witnesses because he cares about the truth and not just winning.

Klavier is Edgeworth without anything interesting about him or a personality.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Klavier and edgeworth are so dissimilar that i'm not sure where you got that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nahyuta needed to talk about the finer points of fast food burgers more. That was like his best moment.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Klavier and edgeworth are so dissimilar that i'm not sure where you got that

Well I'm thinking more of later Edgeworth there, as more or less an allied prosecutor.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

I always thought it was weird that no one mentioned that Inga clearly was not the one planning to use the orb to gain spiritual power seeing as he couldn't distinguish faces.

I liked Nahyuta as an opponent though. I can't stand zealots so it's nice to make him eat poo poo over and over.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Brandfarlig posted:

I actually do hate Klavier, because even though he's supposed to be the sporting good-faith prosecutor, he also withholds critical evidence and pressures witnesses into lying just for shits and giggles or to tie up the case faster. Barnham is the only good Edgeworth analogue, and Friska, Godot and Blackquill were recognized as jerks in-game.

E:

U-DO Burger posted:

I always thought it was weird that no one mentioned that Inga clearly was not the one planning to use the orb to gain spiritual power seeing as he couldn't distinguish faces.

I thought there was a real weird undercurrent in that case of Inga actually being a kind and loving father to Rayfa, and I thought for sure that there was gonna be a reveal that he was actually a decent dude who was just entirely under Ga'ran's thumb, since every other character motivation ended up tying to her and blackmail.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 26, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I thought there was a real weird undercurrent in that case of Inga actually being a kind and loving father to Rayfa, and I thought for sure that there was gonna be a reveal that he was actually a decent dude who was just entirely under Ga'ran's thumb, since every other character motivation ended up tying to her and blackmail.

horrible people actually being good to their own kids isn't that unusual imo

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Klavier > Nahyuta

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

U-DO Burger posted:

I liked Nahyuta as an opponent though. I can't stand zealots so it's nice to make him eat poo poo over and over.

I'm not certain, but I *think* Phoenix points it out at the end somewhere.

Nahyuta has his moments, but he's a bit samey and less entertaining than other prosecutors.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Nahyuta is one of the weakest prosecutors, but he still at least does his job of being a foil to the player. Klavier doesn't even do that, and you're expected to like him. I appreciate that Athena picked up that Apollo really doesn't like him, and suggests he's the one that destroyed the Klavier statue.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I do appreciate that Apollo just loving DESPISES Klavier. I love Apollo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ema also can't stand him, which is another reason she's the best.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Basically this video not only looks like Klavier, but IS Klavier and everyone around him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Is7IghQMw

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

:sludgepal: What did you do??

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I do appreciate Klavier a little bit more because it turns out his brother is a complete psychopath and being a dick to Apollo is probably his way of coping; Apollo still has the best theme though

I'm gonna have to pick up the 3DS version of AA4 at some point just to finish up the collection, the art in it is so smooth that I wish the 3DS version of the original trilogy was like it.

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 27, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I dunno about the 3DS version, but original AA4 also had gorgeous spritework. I like the art direction more than the 3D models we're getting in modern games.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I do appreciate Klavier a little bit more because it turns out his brother is a complete psychopath and being a dick to Apollo is probably his way of coping; Apollo still has the best theme though

I'm gonna have to pick up the 3DS version of AA4 at some point just to finish up the collection, the art in it is so smooth that I wish the 3DS version of the original trilogy was like it.

It’s that and even if he knows his brother was a total bastard Apollo did lock him up and probably get him the death penalty; it would be hard not to be a little resentful.

Also AA4 is the best looking, best sounding game in the series and Phoenix feels really close to out of place in it, they were definitely going in a darker direction with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like the 3D models, but I do wish we'd have gotten a couple more games in the AJ style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Waffleman_ posted:

I do appreciate that Apollo just loving DESPISES Klavier. I love Apollo.

One of my favorite moments is when Klavier tells them that his band broke up and Apollo is just "Oh. Yeah. That's a shame. Really."