Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

Seeing great improvements in the gym. Doing a bodyweight program and I'm doing more pull-ups than I ever could before. Seeing a lot of definition in my chest and arms, and I've lost belly fat and my pants fit way better. Also fitting into old shirts I got too fat for.

NSV (non-scale victories) are ridiculously important and it's good that you're seein' 'em.

Me, I've had to drop my fuckin' lifting weights by about half because I got out of practice. It's good to feel that particular variety of burn again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Somfin posted:

Me, I've had to drop my fuckin' lifting weights by about half because I got out of practice. It's good to feel that particular variety of burn again.

it's satisfying how quickly you get back to your old limits, too

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Any recommendations on a good bike to ride around town to try to get some cardio. I haven’t had a bike since I was a kid and had a 10 speed. I want one where I can sit comfortably

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Piggy Smalls posted:

Any recommendations on a good bike to ride around town to try to get some cardio. I haven’t had a bike since I was a kid and had a 10 speed. I want one where I can sit comfortably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9VSGoQ9N5Q

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Piggy Smalls posted:

get a bike you're happy with excluding what you think about the seat, then get yourself a separate bike seat with the design you're looking for and replace the old seat with it. There are tons of really inexpensive bike seats you can buy designed to be nicer to your rear end

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Verisimilidude posted:

it's satisfying how quickly you get back to your old limits, too

I'm squatting so much lower than I was when I started, I honestly can't explain where all this flexibility came from. drat near rear end to grass.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Somfin posted:

I'm squatting so much lower than I was when I started, I honestly can't explain where all this flexibility came from. drat near rear end to grass.

if you need an explanation why youre better in a thing that youve been doing for some while, the answer is possibly jesus.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yolomon Wayne posted:

if you need an explanation why youre better in a thing that youve been doing for some while, the answer is possibly jesus.

Naw it's the opposite, I stopped and started doing a bunch of cardio group classes and now I'm back to lifting heavy. I wasn't expecting quite so much synergy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Enfys posted:

I think people tend to underestimate how much work is required to build muscle though. Losing 10lbs of fat while simultaneously gaining 8lbs of muscle would take some hardcore work in terms of diet and exercise.

Or time. I did light strength training for several years. 3-5 trips per week, 45 minutes each trip. Kept it up pretty well all throughout. Lost 150 lbs and packed on a ton of muscle. There was one year where I stalled at 280 lbs but dropped a whole shirt size.

Although, genes are probably a factor. Some people bulk, some people don't. I know a guy who was juicing and could bench 400+ lbs while looking like a 6'3" Fight Club-era Brad Pitt. Total fitness nut and wanted to be built like a wrestler but just couldn't escape his loving male model genes. It's like there's a scale.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

Or time. I did light strength training for several years. 3-5 trips per week, 45 minutes each trip. Kept it up pretty well all throughout. Lost 150 lbs and packed on a ton of muscle. There was one year where I stalled at 280 lbs but dropped a whole shirt size.

Although, genes are probably a factor. Some people bulk, some people don't. I know a guy who was juicing and could bench 400+ lbs while looking like a 6'3" Fight Club-era Brad Pitt. Total fitness nut and wanted to be built like a wrestler but just couldn't escape his loving male model genes. It's like there's a scale.

He didn't eat enough

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Could be. I remember him telling he was but I never asked for details.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

rode a bike 107 km today mostly on a gravel rail trail

gonna drink some beers

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
So youtube played a bunch keto coffee videos on autoplay, how tasty/disgust is this?

I don't usually eat anything until 10:30am, I don't think I need the fat to make me feel full.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tino posted:

So youtube played a bunch keto coffee videos on autoplay, how tasty/disgust is this?

I don't usually eat anything until 10:30am, I don't think I need the fat to make me feel full.

I was given two free donuts for getting a coffee. Somebody is doing good busineess.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

wait isn't coffee already keto?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Some keto people want to add butter to everything.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
Hi goons. I'm a fat drunk trying to unfat and undrunk after a one or two year depressive spiral. My doc suggested intermittent fasting and I've been doing that. I know its ultimately a game of calories in and calories out whatever diet / eating pattern you adhere to, but has it been effective for anybody else?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Commissar Budgie posted:

Hi goons. I'm a fat drunk trying to unfat and undrunk after a one or two year depressive spiral. My doc suggested intermittent fasting and I've been doing that. I know its ultimately a game of calories in and calories out whatever diet / eating pattern you adhere to, but has it been effective for anybody else?

yes

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Yes.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Sorry if I missed it, but can someone explain the benefits of "intermittent fasting"? Seems like you're teasing your body with food.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but can someone explain the benefits of "intermittent fasting"? Seems like you're teasing your body with food.

I know a guy who does it and the concrete benefit was his guts feeling great all the time. Makes sense as a 'giving your digestive tract a break' thing. Digestion is work for musculature and glands and such so, on its face, it makes sense.

edit: He limits eating to a 12 hour window.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Burt Sexual posted:

It has the same benefit as "eating a small meal every two hours to stoke the metabolic fire" -- it makes people conscious and methodical about their food intake.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
You know how you waste your phone’s battery faster if you turn it on and off repeatedly instead of just leaving it on? Eating the entire time you’re awake is the same. Your body puts so much stuff on pause to digest so it appreciates the 16-23 hours straight it doesn’t have to do that. The “eat 5 small meals” thing was like the shittiest diet advice to ever get popular. You also get a bunch of hours where your liver glycogen is depleted which lets it do more important stuff than juggling sugar.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Consistently in the 220s instead of the 230s, now I just want to be consistently under 225. I finished my Hungry Brain book and at the end it has a summary of 6 factors to control so that the sensation of hunger doesn't wear you down like a stalker.

1. Stress makes me hungry, so not living near a magnet for shrieking vermin on wheels in a couple weeks will be helpful, but I can only fix hating my job by finding a new product area to work on.

2. Exercising more frequently is said to lower the lipostat's target level of adipose tissue, and I have 3 days a week of high-intensity, but I need to commit myself to push-ups and yoga on my off days. Specifically push-ups because I get casual stress from the self-image of man boobs. The new apartment will make it easier to focus on a new routine. Walking more simply by parking further from my office helps complete the spectrum.

3. I have been able to control my food environment by only going to the salad-only place for lunch or focusing on salad and roasted vegetables with minimal sauce or oil when I can't go to the salad-only place.

4. Fresh fruit, vegetables, unmodified potatoes and sweet potatoes, seafood, eggs, yogurt, whole grains (oats and rice not flour), beans, and lentils are the primary for.

5. Even salt on nuts helps convince the brain to request as much as possible, avoid anything that tastes too good, happiness must be taken from other sources. I can't let go of caffeine, however.

6. Better sleep. Again, new apartment. I was already using blackout curtains and charging my phone in a different room, but nothing can stop the thumping and grinding and rip-revving, not even gentrification. The only answer is location, and in this case the new apartment has nothing above or below.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Blaise330 posted:

You know how you waste your phone’s battery faster if you turn it on and off repeatedly instead of just leaving it on? Eating the entire time you’re awake is the same. Your body puts so much stuff on pause to digest so it appreciates the 16-23 hours straight it doesn’t have to do that. The “eat 5 small meals” thing was like the shittiest diet advice to ever get popular. You also get a bunch of hours where your liver glycogen is depleted which lets it do more important stuff than juggling sugar.

This is bro science. Plenty of people have had great success with the "stoke the metabolic fire" bullshit, and plenty of people have had success with the "Intermittent Fasting" bullshit. So there are two possibilities:
1) There is something special about each of these endpoints on the continuum of eating habits.
2) Meal timing doesn't actually matter, and both of these things work because simply because they get people to carefully think about their food intake.
Occam's Razor says it's 2).

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

In my experience with 8-hour IF so far it seems a lot harder to overeat but that might just be the keto

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I don't want to hear any bullshit about any physiological processes, either. The human body is incredibly complex, and there is some process somewhere that will let you handwave a justification for any fitness/nutrition habit. It's also literally impossible to actually predict how said habit will actually affect every single process in your body, and what overall effect it will have. That's why the whole industry is so full of poo poo. Science isn't done by throwing out oversimplified explanations. The only way anyone can prove that IF works due specifically to the meal timing is to have a reasonably long experiment on two large, identically distributed groups of people that are carefully controlled to have precisely the same food intake and lifestyle, with the only difference being the meal timing.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
God drat that stupid loving battery analogy has me heated
That type of loving stupid ignorant irrelevant utterly meaningless rhetoric is precisely how fitness & nutrition scams are perpetrated

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Surely this simple chemical process works exactly the same as the most complex biological entity we are aware of, because that's the highest level of logic my dumb fat retard brain can comprehend

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

feelix posted:

God drat that stupid loving battery analogy has me heated
That type of loving stupid ignorant irrelevant utterly meaningless rhetoric is precisely how fitness & nutrition scams are perpetrated

you burn more calories when posting bad

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I just figure the weird poo poo helps behaviorally.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Accretionist posted:

I just figure the weird poo poo helps behaviorally.

This is the simplest and most sensible explanation, and the one we should accept until a rigorous experiment proves otherwise.

Basically, it works for a lot of people, try it and see if it works for you and don't worry about why it works.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i wont even think about doing intervals without my NOS2 EXPLODE HYDRO PUMP + METH

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

hell i couldnt even start the day without my ISOFLEX BCAA MONSTER JUICE XL + COCAINE

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

trying to drink 25 g of creatine is loving terrible

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Verisimilidude posted:

trying to drink 25 g of creatine is loving terrible

Why are you drinking 25g of creatine

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

feelix posted:

Why are you drinking 25g of creatine
easier than snorting it

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
No I mean isn't the usual dose 5g? I guess if you're doing the loading phase thing (which may or may not be important, literally nobody knows!)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Proud Rat Mom posted:

you burn more calories when posting bad

so thats why every goon looks like a chippendale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

yeah i've been trying to load, so I've been pouring it into my smoothies which masks the graininess a bit but still tastes unpleasant