Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schmug
May 20, 2007

GotLag posted:

Procedurally-generated architecture?

Zil posted:

Would be surprised if this is not a thing to be honest.

is that the same as Lean Architecture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Gromit posted:

What is the cost associated with getting you further involved? Every now and again I think about getting a house built but it's not something I know anything about and I'm curious to know what an "architect designed!" home would run to if it was done right.

For me, it almost is. I love Brutalist architecture, but I can't ever see myself getting permission to build my dream home anywhere near where other people live. Not everyone likes to look of a sci-fi prison.

If I'm not getting at least 10% of construction cost for the design fees or billing you hourly for construction administration (I bill at $150/hr). If I'm getting less than that it's more or less, "Here's your drawings, hope it works out!" Ihen you start to get in the single digits it's incredibly hard to justify things like monitoring construction and hand holding you through the design process.

I've had jobs where we're paid enough to do things like go to millwork shops and pick every single piece of molding, but they usually still just view us as a drafting service. "You just draw it, right?"... or better yet, "I'll be out their everyday? Why do I need to pay you to monitor construction?"

glynnenstein posted:

It is the most engineer thing in the world that you are offended by things that exist merely to make stuff look nice.

Yeah... but that reasoning leads to fake dormers and shutters that don't function. So I too, don't like putting garnish on my turd casserole.

Zil posted:

Sort of... I've seen the CAD files of tract home builders and it's a fascinating from a technical perspective but it's pretty much a check-box type affair. "Oh, they want the extra reading nook option?" *swaps the pantry option off and replaces*

The builder often won't even do a roof plan. The truss manufacturer does it based on elevations "that look nice" and have little if any planning thought put to it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

cakesmith handyman posted:

I went back and looked at the plans, the lower middle window is the bathroom, there's no stairs access to the attic so that extra window and roof piece is for cosmetic purposes only. I stand by my original assessment that it's dumb.
Once upon a time there was no air conditioning. Since hot air rises, if there was a way to let hot air out of the highest point of your house, that was good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

It certainly is in videogames, but they don't usually have to worry about buildings falling down or being practical.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Once upon a time there was no air conditioning. Since hot air rises, if there was a way to let hot air out of the highest point of your house, that was good.

Whole-house fans are cool and good and I wish my house had one and I have the vague plan of eventually getting around to putting one in. If I could turn a fan on in the summer afternoons that forced all the superheated air out of my attic space, it would probably take a huge load off my A/C system.

The thing is though, you don't need a whole dormer with a window to accomplish that, you just need soffit vents. The dormer is a way to get some headspace in a space that has a steeply peaked ceiling and no room along the low edges. A big wide dormer can convert a barely usable storage area into a functional habitable room. What is offensive to me is if you have that attic space, and you pay to put in a dormer, and then it's fake and you still can't use that space anyway! What a waste. Just go ahead and put in a floor and if there's no room for a full staircase, a pull-down stair would let able-bodied people (kids!) use the attic space for something. And sure, go ahead and climate control it too, but even if you don't, it'd still be usable during mild or cold weather.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This was the house in question

It doesn't look like they have a ton of attic space to be reclaimed, I think it's an attempt to accomplish the same goals as (and possibly to fake) a monitor roof, which was intended for ventilation and light.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Saying the roofs of Mcmansions are procedurally generated is pretty close to the truth. The reason for these roofs is that the house is generally being designed from the inside out. The customer or developer will have a very particular layout in mind, and that layout cares nothing for the exterior of the house. A great room here? A big 2 story foyer there? Extra height in the master bedroom but not the kid's rooms? Sure, why not. Then a roof is calculated by the floor plan. In many cases this is literally done by a computer, not unlike hitting the auto-roof tool in The Sims.

Here's a question for the thread: why do new houses always look like poo poo? In those 3 examples posted a page or two ago the first 2 look great to me but I hate the last one. Comparing the last one to the house it was aping again makes me hate the new house and love the old house. It always seems to be a collection of minor details that add up to make the new house look like garbage even if it's 99% copying a classic style. The trim looks cheap, the window frames aren't quite right, the roof line finishes differently, the soffits are plastic, they used slightly thinner or thicker or different styled pillars around the porch, the brick exterior stops a few inches from the ground exposing an overhang then poured concrete foundation, the window muntins are fake over top of a single large pane of glass, and so many other seemingly minor things that really add up.

lovely street view angle, but this is an almost brand new house and one of the few cases of a modern house trying to copy a traditional style that I didn't hate, because they went all-in.

Next door is this ugly thing that uses cheap as poo poo cladding and god drat loving river rocks which is a material that was never used in the area and has become the signature material (actually mandated as a bylaw) in a horrible suburb outside of town.

Meanwhile these are the actual turn of the century houses that dominate the neighbourhood. They're not complicated, yet 99% of new houses that try to match the style fail horribly.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/1022522884495998976

https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/1022523571988582400

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Why on earth wouldn't you integrate that with some sort of partition or furnishing? It's not like you get any usability leaving it like that, surely they could have wrangled a breakfast bar around it or something.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Why on earth wouldn't you integrate that with some sort of partition or furnishing? It's not like you get any usability leaving it like that, surely they could have wrangled a breakfast bar around it or something.

Apparently that's what some people did because that hell beam is in a bunch of other condos in the building too

https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/1022529703377231873

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ashcans posted:

Click on that link and you'll see another picture from another unit in the same building where they built a shelf unit thing around it.

Efb.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Should be painted hi via safety yellow

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Anyone know what this building looks like on the outside?

The building had to have some other purpose previously right? No way it was designed this way... but that said there should be no way it was re-designed that way either.

You bury that in a wall.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

The building had to have some other purpose previously right? No way it was designed this way... but that said there should be no way it was re-designed that way either.

You bury that in a wall.

I like how other than the cheap metal shelving built around it, in the second picture it's the same loving kitchen. It's like the developer refused to change their floor plans to accommodate an unexpected addition to the building structure.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You bury that in a wall.

Big square box

The listing is here: https://www.movoto.com/san-francisco-ca/1488-harrison-st-302-san-francisco-ca-94103-110_432429/#popphotoview

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

You bury that in a wall.

A reply says it's seismic bracing due to SF regs. Possibly the design was completed just before the regs went into effect and the designer half-assed a fix?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, Queen Victorian, I can agree that Bungalow Company has tried to merge some nice designs with the open kitchen / family room thing (which I'm not a fan of), but generally I think that they do OK. For people that think that multi-rooflines look bad, there are some that look like poo poo, and some - like this from 1910 - that are strikingly handsome imo, though I acknowledge that it wouldn't work in all climates. I think that the internal layout of this one could use some TLC, but overall it works. ed: Ive been to the Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms and should probably go again when the weather clears up, it's a really handsome house and estate.
https://www.stickleymuseum.org/

All I can see when I look at the middle of that is 7 billion tons of snow getting real cozy and deciding if it wants to kool-aid man its way into the house when someone is walking under it or if it wants to wait until 2:30am and be the rudest awakening.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I see a hell beam and I want it painted black

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

FCKGW posted:

Apparently that's what some people did because that hell beam is in a bunch of other condos in the building too

https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/1022529703377231873

That looks to be a seismic retrofit as stated above. The regs are if you have a higher occupancy building and gut it, you need to retrofit to modern seismic codes. Those braces likely needed to be there due to a retrofit study and got added when they renovated the space, but can't be moved due to the weaknesses in the existing structure. Basically the center of stiffness (lateral resistance) needs to be as close as possible to the center of mass, and braces should be in the same spot all the way up the building as well or else it puts more stress on the diaphragms (floors).

Those braces can't catch incidental vertical loads so you shouldn't be attaching anything to it, especially by welding. If it were new construction those braces would be hidden by a partition.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 26, 2018

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
How has this not been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLmu2RCW5cg

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Baronjutter posted:

Saying the roofs of Mcmansions are procedurally generated is pretty close to the truth. The reason for these roofs is that the house is generally being designed from the inside out. The customer or developer will have a very particular layout in mind, and that layout cares nothing for the exterior of the house. A great room here? A big 2 story foyer there? Extra height in the master bedroom but not the kid's rooms? Sure, why not. Then a roof is calculated by the floor plan. In many cases this is literally done by a computer, not unlike hitting the auto-roof tool in The Sims.

This is a few more words to describe what I was saying. No one who cares about roof lines is actually looking at it. The homeowner doesn't care. The developer is selling you an extra option. The truss maker who's hitting the auto-roof option in MiTek software is selling more specialty trusses.

In Architecture school this inside-out thinking will get you crucified... same with outside-in thinking, but sometimes even with an Architect or Engineer the client rules. If they want an extra two feet of height in that room they'll pay for the design and extra truss work! I've definitely had jobs where I didn't want my name on it or the company sign at the jobsite.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Like how are these prices still being propped up? I just don't get it.

schmug
May 20, 2007

sorry, I was in the "wrong" thread. carry on...

schmug fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 26, 2018

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

schmug posted:

Like how are these prices still being propped up? I just don't get it.

techbros and airbnb

schmug
May 20, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

techbros and airbnb

well at least all the homeless will have plenty of space after the bubble explodes!

schmug
May 20, 2007

how about these?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Whatever usless pile of poo poo laid out that work triangle should be defenestrated.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

schmug posted:

So, what kind of engineer are you? Serious question since you're resting your dumb or tolling comments on it.

From your posts and user name I am guessing the Big Box Store Weekend Warrior I saw it on TV and in A Book kind. Prove me wrong.

:allears: I don't have to prove anything to you buddy. Is everyone you don't agree with dumb or trolling?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

schmug posted:

how about these?

Excellent username / post agreement.

Yawgmoth posted:

All I can see when I look at the middle of that is 7 billion tons of snow getting real cozy and deciding if it wants to kool-aid man its way into the house when someone is walking under it or if it wants to wait until 2:30am and be the rudest awakening.

Yeah, that's why this roofline would be problematic in an area that gets a lot of snow. Somewhere in the southwest or Socal, it would work great.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

schmug posted:

how about these?

This roof has no time for your shenanigans

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

The thing is though, you don't need a whole dormer with a window to accomplish that, you just need soffit vents. The dormer is a way to get some headspace in a space that has a steeply peaked ceiling and no room along the low edges. A big wide dormer can convert a barely usable storage area into a functional habitable room. What is offensive to me is if you have that attic space, and you pay to put in a dormer, and then it's fake and you still can't use that space anyway! What a waste. Just go ahead and put in a floor and if there's no room for a full staircase, a pull-down stair would let able-bodied people (kids!) use the attic space for something. And sure, go ahead and climate control it too, but even if you don't, it'd still be usable during mild or cold weather.

:agreed:

Dormers don’t offend me.

Deadbeat dormers offend me.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bad Munki posted:

Like heck I do! Nobody knew they existed until we found them, and the house is two sales removed from the original family, there’s no connection anymore.

Unless you mean the blueprints are cursed, in which case, I’m willing to accept that risk if it means I can build a house very closely based on that one (we’re actually considering starting a build within the next couple years.)

No connection? They’re ...
They’re plans
Of the house.

Make copies and return the originals! You can copy large format to a pdf for under a buck a page.

I’m biased as my parents Home is over 100 years old and my mom collects old photos and anything related to the house and considers it to be part of the property. Also it’s rumored there are blueprints in a certain location in the house but I don’t recall if she went looking or not.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

We actually left contact info so the people could get them back if they wanted, they’ve declined thus far. I wager they would have ended up either in the trash or the bottom of another closet somewhere where they’d eventually just turn to dust. There’s no value in that.

StormDrain posted:

I’m biased as my parents Home is over 100 years old and my mom collects old photos and anything related to the house and considers it to be part of the property. Also it’s rumored there are blueprints in a certain location in the house but I don’t recall if she went looking or not.
As morbid as it may be, imagine your mom passed, another family bought the house, lived there for several decades, also passed, and everything in the house was being sold via a massive public tag sale. Anything left gets trashed or donated.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 27, 2018

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah that’s a possibility. It’s on a historic register so I think that stuff will go to the society in town that deals with it, it’s where she got it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

schmug posted:

how about these?

Eyebrow dormers are the best and I want them on any future house I build.

Look how happy he is!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah, those seem cool. And they wouldn't interfere with snow too much. Having lived in places where the snow would be 5 feet deep by the end of the winter has made me deeply suspicious of busy rooflines.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

The restaurant I used to work at had hell beams like this running through it. Thankfully some previous occupant of the building managed to incorporate them into walls and partitions so they weren't a tripping hazard, because I cannot imagine the lawsuit that would happen if someone tripped on one and faceplanted on the slate floor. :stonklol:

Gonna guess they were part of a similar earthquake retrofit because we're the same general area of California and the building is fairly old.

E: oh poo poo, I know this area. That's right on the corner next to a couple of bars I used to frequent. Good spot to catch a live band or DJ night but I wouldn't ever want to live there. Hope you don't drive either, because you will literally never find a parking spot, and even if you did your car would be broken into as soon as you took your eyes off of it. Upside is that one of the clubs on that block also runs a 24hr pizza joint, so that's cool. Definitely not a nice part of the city though.

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 27, 2018

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I think I found the most death-tap garden tub ever

There's a lot of other weird touches in this house.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 27, 2018

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Do you think they left the salad bar and book it stickers?