Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Verisimilidude posted:

yeah i've been trying to load, so I've been pouring it into my smoothies which masks the graininess a bit but still tastes unpleasant

Well a lot of articles say loading isn't important just like a lot of articles say it is, so if you don't like doing the loading you can choose to believe the former!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Well I bought a lovely scale thats probably horribly inaccurate, but according to it I have lost 1/4 of my approximate goal. Last year, before knowing what my body was capable of doing in a diet, I set a dream goal of 200lbs, but a more reasonable one of 220. Starting at over 270, I managed to get down to about 230 before depression kicked my rear end and I went back up to 260.

In July (and maybe a bit of June, I don't remember when I started this) I have managed to drop 15 pounds bringing me down to 245. I'm using the same goals as last year, but mostly want to be able to look less poo poo in a suit for my friend's wedding in September.

Stinky_Pete posted:

6. Better sleep. Again, new apartment. I was already using blackout curtains and charging my phone in a different room, but nothing can stop the thumping and grinding and rip-revving, not even gentrification. The only answer is location, and in this case the new apartment has nothing above or below.

Have you tried a white noise generator? I have a rain storm app for my phone that helps me out a bunch. My girlfriend uses ear plugs because she's the worst sleeper ever.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Just weighed myself. Since year's start, I've gained like 30 lbs. Sheeyit.

If I want to watch climate change destroy the world, I at least need to make it to 2060. It's now or never, goons

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

I at least need to make it to 2060.

What, pounds?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

feelix posted:

God drat that stupid loving battery analogy has me heated
That type of loving stupid ignorant irrelevant utterly meaningless rhetoric is precisely how fitness & nutrition scams are perpetrated

Eating less is making so much money for The Man.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Blaise330 posted:

Eating less is making so much money for The Man.

But you didn't suggest eating less, did you? You suggested one weird trick, which for many people does indeed lead to eating less, but you made no reference to eating less, instead you justified the one weird trick with a stupid pointless analogy and a bunch of bro science.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

does eating spicy food burn more calories? it sure feels like it burns more calories on account of the burn. :clint:

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
give me the spicy beeforeeno

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

jeffery posted:

give me the spicy beeforeeno
its time for the hot beef injection

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Burt Sexual posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but can someone explain the benefits of "intermittent fasting"? Seems like you're teasing your body with food.

One of the possibly not totally fictional effects is stabilizing blood sugar level and insulin level. Each time you eat sugar or starch your blood sugar increases, which causes insulin to increase, which causes blood sugar to drop, which makes you hungry. (If you are 20 pounds overweight probably none of that matters, but if you are morbidly obese chances are your hormones are a little hosed up.) If you aren't hungry in the morning until after you eat breakfast, you may be riding that roller coaster.

If you do all your eating in 4 hours, or 6, or 8, that means that for 16+ hours no new sugar is entering the system. So you're looking at 12+ hours where your blood sugar and insulin levels are stable.

Or maybe intermittent fasting just automatically disallows late night snacking. Snacking is an easy way to accidentally add hundreds of calories to your carefully planned day.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
The first few weeks of IF was hard but now I never get hungry until noon or later. Eating in a 8 hour window makes cico really easy. I don't stick to it religiously now, it's just a rough guideline for my day.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

does eating spicy food burn more calories? it sure feels like it burns more calories on account of the burn. :clint:

The answer is yes.

http://www.ergo-log.com/capsiate.html

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Facebook Aunt posted:

One of the possibly not totally fictional effects is stabilizing blood sugar level and insulin level. Each time you eat sugar or starch your blood sugar increases, which causes insulin to increase, which causes blood sugar to drop, which makes you hungry. (If you are 20 pounds overweight probably none of that matters, but if you are morbidly obese chances are your hormones are a little hosed up.) If you aren't hungry in the morning until after you eat breakfast, you may be riding that roller coaster.

If you do all your eating in 4 hours, or 6, or 8, that means that for 16+ hours no new sugar is entering the system. So you're looking at 12+ hours where your blood sugar and insulin levels are stable.

Or maybe intermittent fasting just automatically disallows late night snacking. Snacking is an easy way to accidentally add hundreds of calories to your carefully planned day.

Nah apparently that's bro science.

When people accuse intermittent fasting of being a scam I don't get where the money comes in. It's like when someone says the earth is flat, what would be the payoff of lying to people that the earth is round. You can't even sell a book on IF (although im sure some people are trying) cause you describe what it is in one sentence.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bros! :argh:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I was very calorie-bad today and I need you guys to yell at me for it :(

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

Everything will work out in the end. I've had a month of lovely personal life stuff and gained a lot.

I'm still not fat though and you're probably doing better than I am in the long run.

We'll turn it around together. :unsmith:

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

every bad day you have makes it harder to stay on your diet. people say its just one setback, keep eye on goal etc but everytime ive stopped was due to not being strict as gently caress with my eating, and old habits slipping back. keep at it :)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

ive completely stopped buying candy

if someone offers me a mint i slap it out of their hand

and say to them "drat you!"

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

is there any sort of thing i can do to not be a retarded picky eating peice of poo poo that refuses to eat 90% of vegetables and feels physically sick if i have them on my plate?

I feel like i should have addressed this when i was like 3 years old maybe? i somehow became an adult who will only eat potatoes tomatoes and onions

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Kullik posted:

is there any sort of thing i can do to not be a retarded picky eating peice of poo poo that refuses to eat 90% of vegetables and feels physically sick if i have them on my plate?

I feel like i should have addressed this when i was like 3 years old maybe? i somehow became an adult who will only eat potatoes tomatoes and onions

Roast them with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes. Roasted asparagus owns and makes your pee smell weird.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Kullik posted:

Idk maybe therapy?

Or just start eating them. Like, force yourself to do it. I didn’t like coffee or booze until I chose to drink it despite my tastebuds telling me to stop.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

broccoli is your number one

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 27, 2018

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp

Kullik posted:

I didn't have this particular problem but I did have an issue with eating salads, etc. So in order to get my leafy greens in I put them in a smoothie with a banana.

2 - 3 cups of spinach/baby spinach
1 Frozen banana
1/2 cup of frozen cranberries or strawberries
1 cup of almond or almond coconut milk, unsweetened
optionals: 1 tablespoon of almond butter, 1/3 cup of frozen mango for sweetness

Blend it up, boi

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Trip report, cauliflower does indeed make an excellent "faux rice" which i came to like even more than real rice.
Just cut it up to rice-size in a blender or whatever, microwave for 7 minutes without additional water (put a plate on the bowl though) and serve however you would rice.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I ordered the MCT oil, the Hymalayan salt and going to give fatty keto coffee a college try.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

yo i appreciate no one was just like "lol eat the vegetables idiot" but yeah, i think therapy might be an option, i've thought i might have an eating disorder before.
I'll try smoothies i guess, couldnt hurt might help with the brain problem of like "oh no... leaves"

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Kullik posted:

yo i appreciate no one was just like "lol eat the vegetables idiot" but yeah, i think therapy might be an option, i've thought i might have an eating disorder before.
I'll try smoothies i guess, couldnt hurt might help with the brain problem of like "oh no... leaves"

I was (and still am) picky about my veggies. But I've gotten to a point where I eat more of them than I did before. I know this is a weird and kind of insulting suggestion, but look up some of those horrible mommy blogs about mothers sharing recipes to sneak in veggies for their children. They have a treasure trove full of dishes with 'hidden' vegetables. I would also make things like stews and chilis with veggies you don't like, chopped very finely so your "Eeeew, texture!" alarm doesn't go off. If you can start to eat small amounts of them in other things, you might start to get over the idea that you'll 'never' eat them, because you already are! And just work up from there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

numberoneposter posted:

ive completely stopped buying candy

if someone offers me a mint i slap it out of their hand

and say to them "drat you!"

I'm not gonna let you poison me. You must think I'm a joke. I ain't gonna be part of your system. Put that garbage in another man's face.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

season your veggies. there are some that taste great raw by themselves but when i cook with vegetables i always season them. I doubt I would've been able to retrain my brain back in 2014 to like them without it. i'd say my biggest accomplishment was training my brain to like mushrooms, something that always grossed me out. garlic salt, black pepper, white pepper red chili flakes and roast them up. I used to find raw tomatoes gross but I tried adding garlic salt and black pepper to a tomato slice and it tastes great. now unseasoned raw tomatoes taste fine to me.

Get into seasonings and spices. If you aren't familiar you can look at recipes online and go from there but it's really not a complicated thing. Find out what enhances the food to your liking, assuming that isn't some form of sugar.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Have you tried a white noise generator? I have a rain storm app for my phone that helps me out a bunch. My girlfriend uses ear plugs because she's the worst sleeper ever.

I have the Google home mini in my bedroom do ocean waves or babbling brook sometimes, and my fan that may or may not still be filtering air deals with the normal whooshes of traffic, but these modified exhaust sounds are sudden and sharp and nothing washes them out. I even got wooden boards and affixed fiberglass to them by nailing fabric around it all to put against the windows and they do nothing. I don't give a poo poo if it's muffled by ear plugs, the shrieking produces an alarm signal that tells the brain to get ready to fight, and besides there are subsonic components that are felt more than heard. I usually just have to wait for midnight, which is usually when they stop, and/or use a melatonin pill. I had tried melatonin in the past but with cheaper pills that must not have been as bioavailable as the ones I have now. I have seriously vivid dreams every night thanks to that.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Kullik posted:

The good news is that most human populations not involved in an Economy, mostly eat like 3 foods, so you just need to find the one (green) vegetable you do like and spam it spam it spam it. Learn to roast, sautee, steam, and rawdog that one weird plant.

I don't have as steep of a problem as you but there was a spell when I would walk through the farmer's market and feel guilty like it was my responsibility to learn to use as much variety as possible, instead of just buying strawberries and spinach all the time and being glad that I know what I like. The many different foods are there for many different people, not just me, I mutter under my breath as I navigate around strollers and people who stand still in the middle of the road shoulder-to-shoulder.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I am still picky about certain vegetables but I managed to find enough of them that I do like and just focus on them. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, zucchini, spinach, tomatoes, bok choy, celery are some of the ones I pick from.
The problem was that I didn't like some super common vegetables like onions, peppers, mushrooms and peas, and once I started cooking for myself I could focus on the veg I did like.
My measure of progress was that if someone else is making dinner or I'm at a party where there's only certain foods available, I'm able to eat whatever's offered to be polite. It's not always pleasant but it won't kill me to eat something I don't like once in awhile. It's gotten me to try new things I wouldn't normally eat and find new things I like.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

regarding vegetables just channel your inner raccoon spirit animal and use those tiny hands to chomp on it all

tyk00n
Sep 25, 2006

College Slice
I know its a joke online, but if you have enough willpower to do soylent or something similar, the results are pretty good. This is about 2 years and 150lbs later:

Cinaedus Defututus
Mar 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
need to lose an estimated 60 lbs to reach something close to 15% body fat. my life depends on it.

got into HIIT recently.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

season your veggies. there are some that taste great raw by themselves but when i cook with vegetables i always season them. I doubt I would've been able to retrain my brain back in 2014 to like them without it. i'd say my biggest accomplishment was training my brain to like mushrooms, something that always grossed me out. garlic salt, black pepper, white pepper red chili flakes and roast them up. I used to find raw tomatoes gross but I tried adding garlic salt and black pepper to a tomato slice and it tastes great. now unseasoned raw tomatoes taste fine to me.

Get into seasonings and spices. If you aren't familiar you can look at recipes online and go from there but it's really not a complicated thing. Find out what enhances the food to your liking, assuming that isn't some form of sugar.

I always loved garlic salt on a crisp cold raw tomato myself, but never considered trying it with black pepper mixed in!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Last time I lost a bunch of weight one of my go-tos when I was hungry was a giant bowl of roasted broccoli with lemon and salt. So good.

I should go buy some broccoli.

--

I'm finally under 160 as of yesterday! I haven't seen the 150s since last May. Feels good.

In the last 7 days I've lost 2 pounds and burned 2700 calories on exercise according to my heart rate monitor. Sweet.

I have three more full weeks off of work. I'm hoping I can keep up the pace until then, and then stay disciplined once work starts.

Keep losin', goons.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

zoink2000 posted:

I know its a joke online, but if you have enough willpower to do soylent or something similar, the results are pretty good. This is about 2 years and 150lbs later:

Don't drink Soylent, it's made by an unqualified idiot man-child in a wretched factory with questionable hygeine and food safety standards. You'll get a brain mold or something.

Cinaedus Defututus
Mar 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Don't drink Soylent, it's made by an unqualified idiot man-child in a wretched factory with questionable hygeine and food safety standards. You'll get a brain mold or something.

how bad could it be? the manufacturing process is just mixing a bunch of powders together, right?

if soylent is bad, then i would try mealsquares. but soylent has the advantage of being more filling.

most soylent production meets the standards of GMP in the current day, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
Exercised for two hours today and burned over 1,000 calories despite being a fat piece of poo poo. :hai: You can do it, fatty goons.