Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
You still go to Sam Houston for BOLC-B, but you do about 4 weeks at Sill as your initial "welcome to the Army" and stuff like admin in-processing, how ranks work, how to put on your uniform and gear, some basic land nav, road marches, weapons fam/qual, PT, APFT, etc.

They live in barracks, are in uniform always unless in the shower, don't get to drive a car, etc. But hey, they get internet and can have phones/computers.

Last I checked it was 4 weeks for active component with 5-6 days/week training or 3 weeks reserve component with like... 6 1/2 day weeks or something really lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I lol whenever i think a buncha boots in NYC tried to get the pizza guy deported.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Yay Ft. Stewart! Your battalion actually thought they were just going to jump into another unit's gunnery? WTF? That poo poo was planned out many months in advance. The only time we were able to do anything like that was when one of our TC/Gunner combos had to change up due to an unexpected PCS. We were able to get that one crew squeezed into 4-64's Table VIII but even that was hard to get done.

You’d think they plan it in advance. Problem is thus range got shut down last year when our previous rotatibg unit managed to shoot 15 .50 rounds over the backstop mountain into ROK Army base. Reopening got delayed by like 2 months and all the schedules went to hell. This being Raider Brigade, the new plan was ”we wing it, pile everyone to range and see How many can shoot at What time” and thats why our company is right now living a schrödingers gunnery where we shoot or not shoot and driving into the borefast line changes the result.

Meanwhile Republic Of Korea is breaking heat records from 1907 and heat casualties are between 2-4 a day on our company alone.
Raiders first, rokk of the marne.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 25, 2018

KombatKoch
Jul 31, 2012

Valtonen posted:

You’d think they plan it in advance. Problem is thus range got shut down last year when our previous rotatibg unit managed to shoot 15 .50 rounds over the backstop mountain into ROK Army base. Reopening got delayed by like 2 months and all the schedules went to hell. This being Raider Brigade, the new plan was ”we wing it, pile everyone to range and see How many can shoot at What time” and thats why our company is right now living a schrödingers gunnery where we shoot or not shoot and driving into the borefast line changes the result.

Meanwhile Republic Of Korea is breaking heat records from 1907 and heat casualties are between 2-4 a day on our company alone.
Raiders first, rokk of the marne.

Weed and Powder?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

KombatKoch posted:

Weed and Powder?

Weed and powder is shooting right now. Im a cottonballer.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
Prior service Marine eagerly waiting for the recruiter to get me the dates for the OCS battalion boards. Last step in my application. I have been contemplating holding off and doing Marine OCS though...

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mad_Thick posted:

Prior service Marine eagerly waiting for the recruiter to get me the dates for the OCS battalion boards. Last step in my application. I have been contemplating holding off and doing Marine OCS though...

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

mad_Thick posted:

You should go

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mad_Thick posted:

Have you considered staying a civilian?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

McNally posted:

Once a Marine always a Marine so might as well be a Soldier too. AIRBORNE

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Viva Miriya posted:

Once a Marine always a Marine so might as well be a Soldier too. AIRBORNE

gently caress it, do it pussy. You don't have hair one on your rear end to repeat past mistakes but with shiny poo poo instead. I'll bet you won't have the balls to kill your boss when they make everyone's life a living hell for no reason, and in spite of all past lessons.

Mustang is almost completely tapped out and he won't even go postal like a man. We're gonna need new meat in the scootin fruity grinder.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014

McNally posted:

Yeah, been civilian since 2012. Finished my degree last year, and been working in the finance sector. I'd rather put in another 15-20 years and enjoy that govt pension, than continuing to work a well paying, yet completely unfulfilling and soulless job. I have never been so depressed in my life...

Steezo posted:

gently caress it, do it pussy. You don't have hair one on your rear end to repeat past mistakes but with shiny poo poo instead. I'll bet you won't have the balls to kill your boss when they make everyone's life a living hell for no reason, and in spite of all past lessons.

Mustang is almost completely tapped out and he won't even go postal like a man. We're gonna need new meat in the scootin fruity grinder.

I'm hoping to get the opportunity to go Rangers. In terms of MOS, I wouldn't mind being a grunt again. Intel would be great. Armor sounds fun...gently caress even if I'm in some poo poo MOS, I'm going to enjoy making my soldiers lives hell with 0500 PT and poo poo. And lots of yelling, mass punishment.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

mad_Thick posted:

Yeah, been civilian since 2012. Finished my degree last year, and been working in the finance sector. I'd rather put in another 15-20 years and enjoy that govt pension, than continuing to work a well paying, yet completely unfulfilling and soulless job.

So instead you want a relatively low paying, completely unfulfilling and soulless job.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014

McNally posted:

So instead you want a relatively low paying, completely unfulfilling and soulless job.

Unlike many people here, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the military.

I'm not THAT well paid. But more than average recent college grads. It would take a few years as an officer to be almost at par with my current pay. And no one joins the military for the pay anyways.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

mad_Thick posted:

I'm not THAT well paid. But more than average recent college grads. It would take a few years as an officer to be almost at par with my current pay. And no one joins the military for the pay anyways.

Look at this dude, he's totally buying the t-shirt.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mad_Thick posted:

Using my psychic powers I deduce you have joined the National Guard. Since all officers in the NG are former enlisted Marines for some reason.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

gently caress yeah brother. Do it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mad_Thick posted:

Yeah, been civilian since 2012. Finished my degree last year, and been working in the finance sector. I'd rather put in another 15-20 years and enjoy that govt pension, than continuing to work a well paying, yet completely unfulfilling and soulless job. I have never been so depressed in my life...

I'm hoping to get the opportunity to go Rangers. In terms of MOS, I wouldn't mind being a grunt again. Intel would be great. Armor sounds fun...gently caress even if I'm in some poo poo MOS, I'm going to enjoy making my soldiers lives hell with 0500 PT and poo poo. And lots of yelling, mass punishment.

mad_Thick posted:

I'm just saving these for later.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Steezo posted:

Wait are you telling me to go back because have I told you about my stripper wife chantelle?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I've worked with retirees many times before and spending 20 years in the service made them retards... or maybe they already were that way when they enlisted. Makes you think

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

mad_Thick posted:

I got an idea. Why dont you just reenlist, killer, and only gently caress up your life.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Also if you wanted to be intel you'd go three letter habibi.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

mad_Thick posted:

gently caress yeah! A true believer. You're almost as hosed in the head as I am. Though flattening cities then patrolling what was left was kinda fun. Could do without the days where I wake up and think I'm still there though...

You should totally go for that airborne ranger, you're gonna love it more than Vahakalya loved having a functioning back. More than McCain thought the fundamentals of the American economy are strong, even.

gently caress it, when you hit ranger school tell those tradoc maggots you're a Marine and don't need their weak rear end leadership school. You ready know what a backplan is. They love that poo poo, instant honor grad. You tell those airplane jumping dorks you can swim!

Seriously, though, good luck. I look forward to your creeping descent into madness. The only question I have is if you'll enjoy losing your mind or have moments of lucid horror like an Alzheimer's patient in a Lovecraft novel.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Actually lots of people join for the oay and that's ehy the SNCO corps have so many sub 100 IQs

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

maffew buildings posted:

Actually lots of people join for the oay and that's ehy the SNCO corps have so many sub 100 IQs

-A SNCO

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It is unclear if enlisting itself makes you stupid or the process of being enlisted makes your stupid.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I enjoyed my time in the military too!

Well, more than the amount of times I hated it and every decision that lead up to it.

Mostly.

But I'm sure as gently caress glad I'm out and there's nothing on this planet or the threat of alien invasion that would get me to have a flag on my shoulder again.

I am sorry that your post military plans did not work out. Perhaps you should change that, rather than go back in?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Woof Blitzer posted:

I've worked with retirees many times before and spending 20 years in the service made them retards... or maybe they already were that way when they enlisted. Makes you think

I don't understand the retired guys you see working as shopping cart attendants at the PX/NEX or other menial jobs. How the gently caress does someone spend 20 years in the military without accidentally becoming at least slightly more employable.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's plenty of people that have absolutely zero skills from the military aside from being able to DO stuff in the military.

If you were in a combat arms MOS or really most jobs and never bothered to get an education or be constantly exposed to the HARSH CIVILIAN WORLD WHERE YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT you're probably functionally incapable of existing outside of that environment.

Most of us are lucky enough that we got out in our 20s-30s with 4-12 years in so we're reasonably young enough (and exposed to technology enough) that being in the HARSH CIVILIAN WORLD WHERE YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT isn't a death sentence.

But what if you're an 11B, clocking in around 42, with one semester of community college from the place off post that you never finished because you deployed early ten years prior? You're hosed bro, 22 years of brain drain and groupthink turns into a self fulfilling prophecy.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

So where do us guys with solid careers, master's degree who pursued joining the Marine officer reserves fall into the retard spectrum for wanting to get back in?

Besides being a retard of course, just curious on the degree of retardation

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Nice and hot piss posted:

So where do us guys with solid careers, master's degree who pursued joining the Marine officer reserves fall into the retard spectrum for wanting to get back in?

Besides being a retard of course, just curious on the degree of retardation

You were already told once, do you want a second black eye?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If you're a true believer, you're a true believer and nothing will change that. If you have any notion that you should possibly not do that then take your hand off the stove

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I don't understand the retired guys you see working as shopping cart attendants at the PX/NEX or other menial jobs. How the gently caress does someone spend 20 years in the military without accidentally becoming at least slightly more employable.

Let me tell you a bout my boss the Sr systems administrator for the federal government who’s sole qualification for working on servers was he was a refueling boom operator in the Air Force.

Truth is most of the poo poo you do in the military is done inefficiently for no other reason than to keep 20 something’s from burning the goddamn base down, and SNCO’s are steeped in 20 years of this idiocy. Since most real non military work outside of bureaucratic hellholes is actually meant to have an impact on capital I.e. actually have a point, the leadership acumen necessary to stop 20 year olds from smoking while they pick sticks out of some rocks doesn’t exactly transfer to civvie street where eventually a non moron is going to ask why the gently caress you are playing with sticks.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On occasion I think about joining an SF national guard unit(19th group in Washington), but I have no idea if they'd take me or what bullshit support job they'd try to pitch me instead. Then there's having to do army stuff again and a fuckload more training but the SF dudes are some of the chillest dudes I've met (can't walk up a fuckin mountain, though)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Slim Pickens posted:

On occasion I think about joining an SF national guard unit(19th group in Washington), but I have no idea if they'd take me or what bullshit support job they'd try to pitch me instead. Then there's having to do army stuff again and a fuckload more training but the SF dudes are some of the chillest dudes I've met (can't walk up a fuckin mountain, though)

I know three dudes and dudettes in 20th SFG and they are are red bereted support enlisted, and they love it. Take it as you will, but being support in a SFG is probably way better than life in a regular unit anyhow. Though apparently everybody gets to do grunt stuff there no matter the MOS if you can hold your own, so I don't know if you count it as a good or bad. Also the amount of "extra training" can get overwhelming outside of regular drill, apparently.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 28, 2018

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

I know three dudes and dudettes in 20th SFG and they are are red bereted support enlisted, and they love it. Take it as you will, but being support in a SFG is probably way better than life in a regular unit anyhow. Though apparently everybody gets to do grunt stuff there no matter the MOS if you can hold your own, so I don't know if you count it as a good or bad. Also the amount of "extra training" can get overwhelming outside of regular drill, apparently.

I knew one of these red bereted support enlisted dudes who would walk around after PCS'ing and tell people he was in the SF and he was insufferable and got clowned on constantly so don't be like that guy.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So pumped to work 12 days straight for the second time in a month leading up to a 30 day field problem. The first time I was told I would get "comped on the backend". Complete bullshit, I didn't get comped poo poo. So year sure I'm going to believe you when you say I'm going to get comped this time too.

Even better is this time I get to do this 12 days in the field so I get to try to do my job which heavily requires either email, phone calls, or face to face communication with very limited NIPR connectivity and no cell phone signal. The justification is that "if the companies are going to be in the field the staff is too!" despite the fact that the companies aren't spending more than 3 days in the field as the platoons rotate through STX lanes.

I'm so glad our LTC and 2 MAJ's can pull their wealth of experience in the Army to make the hard decisions and are definitely taking care of soldiers.

I"m not too sure what the field grades are good for other than coming up with new ways to make everything suck even more than it already does.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
:mcnally:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Holy poo poo, this is a thing.