Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ohtsam posted:

What's the state of Japanese OCR out of curiosity?

KanjiTomo works alright, though it seems to have more trouble recognizing horizontal text than vertical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

One thing that's interesting to me is that almost all the classes have at least some sort of healing ability. This looks like a game where a dedicated healer probably won't be terribly important.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Omi no Kami posted:

I could use a quick opinion before jumping into EO; I've never played any of these, and have been informed that IV is probably the bestest one. Is it worth playing III first, so I can enjoy the best of the DS ones before I see all the QoL improvements the 3DS games had? Or should I just jump directly into IV?

definitely start with 4, 3 is kind of busted in a lot of ways and you need a level of system mastery to really get the most out of it

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, I'm going to give both III and IV a whirl when I get home... I might end up sticking with IV if III's balance issues encourages vanilla part composition; it seems like a crying shame to have a game that allows pirates, ninja, and princesses to team up, and stick with boring but much more effective mainstays.

Yeah, that's basically kind of EO3's class balance in a nutshell. A lot of things that look cool and interesting at first, but most of the interesting parts tend to be nowhere near as effective as more straightforward options, resulting in feelings of being let down.

Granted if you're familiar with how the game works, you can get away with doing some... "interesting" things.

4 is absolutely more beginner friendly and actually lets you do interesting things.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, that's basically kind of EO3's class balance in a nutshell. A lot of things that look cool and interesting at first, but most of the interesting parts tend to be nowhere near as effective as more straightforward options, resulting in feelings of being let down.

Granted if you're familiar with how the game works, you can get away with doing some... "interesting" things.

Y'know, like killing the true final boss with a solo farmer.

My one note for playing IV first, if you plan on playing both, is that you really feel the step backwards going to III. Everything requires more exp, Resting a character costs more levels, storage costs money to use, forging weapons costs money to use, drop rates are lower across the board, skill point costs are higher thanks to Mastery skills still existing, the skill point menu is much harder to read, and there's nothing to help you grind levels on new characters should you choose to make any, etc. It's not unplayable by any means, but I started on III, and after playing IV I had a really hard time going back.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I've done a bunch of SCCs with 4 and I've never tried one with 3

make of that what you will

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I mean if you're that curious about what EO3 is like, go ahead and play it if you have the time to do so. Admittedly, there isn't a better way to experience that game, since it didn't get a remake like the first two games did, so playing it on the DS is the only way to do so.

If you don't have time to play it, just feel free to skip to 4.

theshim posted:

I've done a bunch of SCCs with 4 and I've never tried one with 3

make of that what you will

I know someone did a 5 Prince/ss run of the game, but yeah. I don't really see what else much you could really do it with.

Also looking through that skill spreadsheet, and I think the party I want to go with for now (assuming that they don't want you to go with more than a 5 man party) is this:

Hero/Imperial/Nightseeker
Arcanist/Farmer

Yes, I am genuinely thinking of unironically using a Farmer. Yes, I realize I'm insane.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Wonder if we'll ever get an official confirmation that EOU3 was in production and got scrapped but the assets reused for EO X.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Item Getter posted:

Wonder if we'll ever get an official confirmation that EOU3 was in production and got scrapped but the assets reused for EO X.

Even if there isn't an official confirmation, there would probably be tell tale signs if that was the case once we get our hands on the game data. We'll know in around a week or so.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

No joke I think Imperial + Farmer in the party will be ridiculously strong

6 turns of no overheat :stonk:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

No joke I think Imperial + Farmer in the party will be ridiculously strong

6 turns of no overheat :stonk:

Depending on how Ignition works, it would be even more than that. In EO4, Ignition instantly dispelled the Overheat state upon use. Granted, it was a skill you had to cast, so it ate up a turn. But if it still has that property in EOX, the Imperial's turn rotation could look something like this, with Farmer support.

1: Drive Blade (Overheat kicks in)
2: Ignition to dispel overheat, than Drive Blade
3: Drive Blade
4: Drive Blade (Ignition wears off)
5: Drive Blade (Overheat kicks in), Farmer uses their Force Break, instantly refilling Force Gauges.
6: Ignition to dispel overheat, than Drive Blade
7: Drive Blade
8: Drive Blade (Ignition wears off)
9: Drive Blade (Overheat kicks in)

That's 9 straight turns of using drives.

Granted that's only if Ignition dispels the Overheat state. If it doesn't, yeah, it's 6 turns of Drive Blading, but that's still pretty strong. Also this is assuming you have enough TP, which you won't during the early-game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Troll Mode: you can make an Imperial from the start of the game but the cheapest Drive Blade costs 50k ental

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Looks like Atlus posted the EOX battle theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rytAyIW6t4

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 24, 2018

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

It sounds even more like a magical girl power up theme than EO4's, which is only good news persoanlly.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also looking through that skill spreadsheet, and I think the party I want to go with for now (assuming that they don't want you to go with more than a 5 man party) is this:

Hero/Imperial/Nightseeker
Arcanist/Farmer

Yes, I am genuinely thinking of unironically using a Farmer. Yes, I realize I'm insane.

Farmer looks interesting. It's a better class to have around than the old EO3 Farmer, but it still doesn't look like a class I'd really want to have as the primary class of a combat character. Though, assuming they still have the best Luck growth of all classes, Strange Seeds could be very good. I am dallying with the thought of a Sovereign/Farmer or Farmer/Sovereign instead of my currently-planned Arcanist/Sovereign, though.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

Looks like Atlus posted the EOX battle theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rytAyIW6t4

Dont really like it... Hopefully the other two turn out better!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Jimmy Hats posted:

Dont really like it... Hopefully the other two turn out better!

The other trailer confirms that we will most likely be hearing the battle and FOE themes from the previous games most of the time anyway.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 24, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the new Battle theme sounds pretty crap. Unfocused.

theshim
May 1, 2012

SCC analysis time.

Hero: Depends a lot on how afterimages work, but assuming they're specific to the one that created them, will probably be on the weaker end. Still, their kit covers almost everything, so probably not too hard. also why did they bring back New Challenger

Protector: Seems pretty much the same as earlier entries, but Shield Flare adds some finicky elemental damage. Likely to be boring and slow, but not hard, much like Protectors themselves dohohoho

Ronin: Stances automatically activating is huge for QoL, and they got a few nice skills from Masurao. Still probably going to be deplorably squishy, but they'll be much more effective as a whole compared to EOU2.

Medic: hit with stick :buddy: Heavy Strike had better have some crazy scaling given that you need to have points in all of their other melee skills just to unlock it and it's their only one without any additional effects. Otherwise, heal forever, Overheal is nice, sad that they only have Auto-Revive and not Auto-Heal.

Survivalist: gently caress

also they have an elemental attack now, at least??? :rip: Efficiency though

Gunner: They lost their basic elemental shots, that's gonna hurt a lot. Rest of their kit is still super good, though.

War Magus: Good kit hampered by their inability to reliably inflict ailments themselves, same as in EOU2. Still probably not too hard, stagger Force Boosts for maximum effectiveness and use gasses. Ailing Slash being Master level is sadness, though.

Highlander: boring, unremarkable kit, Spear Assist but no native elemental attacks, don't even have Stigmata, generally meh.

Sovereign: Last Order combined with their Force Break could be some serious :getin: The Arms skills being row-target is nice, though the replacement of the Link Orders with the bomb skills hurts their clear a bunch. That it's Veteran level for the first one will also make the early game dreadful.

Shogun: W a r r i o r M i g h t. I love that they made it so it will straight up kill you now though. They have an elemental attack too, which is always nice to have. On the whole will likely be around as squishy or maybe even worse off than Ronin but they have fun skills to play around with.

Zodiac: Compression and Spread Chant are regular old charge skills, boo. Anti-Ether is their only defensive skill. They'll blow poo poo up and die to a stiff breeze, excellent.

Ninja: yeeart

That Force Break had better inflict one hell of a poison. That Force Boost makes me think horrible things like Ninja/Survivalist. Ninpo Mastery is funny in that it's only really good on mainclass Ninjas. Bunshin disabling Force Boost/Break amuses me. Tagen Battou got reduced to 2-3 attacks. On the whole, a lot will depend on the scaling on their skills, because it looks like they're stuck with knives again. They do at least have access to bash and stab attacks?

Farmer: :getin:

They have a single offensive skill. A bunch of fantastic utility, but they have a single offensive skill. And it's Master-tier.

I dunno about this one, guys...

Landsknecht: Linkshark rides again

Nightseeker: Assuming the numbers are similar to EO4's, they'll just tear things up, though their Expertise skill being a 10-pointer hurts a bit.

Arcanist: why do so many classes have curse skills now, why

Poison Circle being Master tier means they have exactly zero offense until Veteran tier, which is becoming a truly obnoxious theme. It also will probably need to be stronger. Also why the hell is there a 10-point Dismiss skill just to attempt to inflict Stun of all things??? Dismiss Revive is interesting, at least (but chance to revive skills are horrible).

Imperial: What the heck is that Force Break. Otherwise, they will hit things, very hard. No real defenses but they're just gonna blow everything up anyway. Interesting that given the way subclassing probably works, the elemental drives will be unavailable for subclassed Imperials.

Pugilist: lol Thunder Blow moved to Master tier. They will bind things, and they will probably be very good at it. We'll see how they hold up as damage dealers.

Harbinger: Miasma Armor doesn't specify that it'll only activate once?? Huge if so. They lost Frigid Reap so they're pure Cut and Poison for damage, but they have some useful skills and should be decent all-rounders. Poison is a basic tier skill though, so it probably won't scale super hard.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
Medic's Heavy Strike is the one from EOV, TP cost ranges from 25-50 it seems. Should make your medic scc a lot more tolerable at lv40+.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Wiffle posted:

TP cost ranges from 25-50 it seems
what the

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
I derped on Intercooler's max level. It should max at 10, so there's nothing preventing other classes from accessing elemental drives.

Also EOX will use EO5 forging so there should be weapons with attacking skills that could help out with the whole "can't attack before Master level" thing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I was going to do a Hero/Imperial (or vice-versa) until I remembered that Drive Blades are not Swords and all the Hero class attacks are Sword-required while all the Imperial class attacks are Drive Blade-required :argh: Also someone pointed out somewhere that if you have 3 characters in the front row, your Hero's afterimages are going to be shoved into the back row, so they're going to be dealing halved melee damage. Total buzzkill.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
In IV, Drive Blades could use sword skills, so that may carry over to X as well.

Also in IV, as soon as a character takes on a subclass, they can equip a subweapon to use skills of a different class. However, Drive Blade was explicitly disallowed from having a sub-weapon.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

RegalStar posted:

In IV, Drive Blades could use sword skills, so that may carry over to X as well.

Really? You'd think I would remember that, but then again I have trouble remembering things that happened last week, so maybe not.

That does give me some hope, though I still need to solve my "too many cooks in the kitchenfront row" problem. Maybe I'll just man up and try a no-protector/hoplite/dragoon/etc run for once.

I don't like that there is exactly one offensive mage in the lineup. Zodiacs just don't have a natural subclass option that I can see.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Zurai posted:

Zodiacs just don't have a natural subclass option that I can see.

It was the same for Runemasters in EOIV - and the solution seems to be the same as well: Imperial for Elem ATK Up and Absorber.
Because they get skills for (at least) three different elements casters in EO are usually short on skillpoints for a long time so a subclass for Zodiacs will probably not get much love or use anyways.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
Finally saw the spreadsheet- wow I am not impressive with Protectors. Luckily, given the number of other classes with defense or recovery options, I think I can still get away without using them.
Zodiac's Prophecies look a lot better than before, if only because "an attack buff" is more useful than a same-element counter attack.
Ninjas look... very suspiciously familiar, including a bunch of probably-not-very-good skills. They can still clone themselves, though, which will be the big utility?
Farmers are still kinda bad, but I guess they provide a goodly amount of TP restore options, at least?
Harbingers getting auto-miasma for free the same way Ronin do is a huge bonus, but Toxic Reap being a first-tier skill is telling me it probably got nerfed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

On the other hand, it looks like Ephemeral Reap got a huge buff. Notice how it doesn't say it removes debuffs anymore.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
There's now a skill simulator. Descriptions aren't up yet but they will be added soon.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I punched hippogryph to death in six turns

overexertion is very dumb

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Overexertion took Pugilists from a versatile CC/damage dealer class into... all that, still, but who can also give out the best damage buff in the game.

I'm sad to see Overexertion go in EOX, but Pugilist's kit was incredibly flexible and possibly busted in EO5. It was probably the best class there.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

e: accidental doublepost because my mouse is a poo poo

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I'm kind of surprised that Golden Lair is in EO X since I thought that was everyone's least favorite dungeon from EO 4.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Item Getter posted:

I'm kind of surprised that Golden Lair is in EO X since I thought that was everyone's least favorite dungeon from EO 4.

It is

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Item Getter posted:

I usually just watch this thread but yeah I hate the golden lair

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
I disliked Echo Library far more than Golden Lair, which I'm ambivalent on.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RegalStar posted:

I disliked Echo Library far more than Golden Lair, which I'm ambivalent on.

Yeah the Library is by far the worst imo. It's so long and so boring

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
I just really, really love Miasma Forest best in EO4 for that fuckin' theme. I love it.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Planning to play EO3 again with Hoplite, Zodiac, Arbalist, Ninja, Monk as per request. Who do I put in the front lines before Arbalist actually gets to front mortar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Monk should have the second highest VIT in your party - but they will absolutely need Line Guard against Lynxes, Centipedes and the like. And going to the 2nd floor during the day is probably not a good idea.