Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just did the first part of the Daughter of a Dark God Side Story and that girl has problems.

I think I can see where this might be going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The devs are open to critique so maybe they'll make the end game good in a patch. Add a save point, weaken the true final boss so you don't have to grind in a spot for 5+ hours etc

Would be nice. I don't like looking up endings/final bosses but god I'm tempted

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

goddamn this "girl with a missing egg" story. I see the egg on a pillar but there's no possible way to get this thing. maybe that's not even an egg????

also I found a dead body near a river related to a woman I remember talking about it with, now I can't remember where she lives....some of these sidequests are kind of tough to figure out but I don't wanna spoil anything for myself.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The existence of caits is crazy and makes the difficulty curve all over the place.

Do items have a 100% hit rate? Cause that seems the easiest way to ensure a kill.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bombadilillo posted:

The existence of caits is crazy and makes the difficulty curve all over the place.

Do items have a 100% hit rate? Cause that seems the easiest way to ensure a kill.

Yeah, using a medium element stone one shots them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

goddamn this "girl with a missing egg" story. I see the egg on a pillar but there's no possible way to get this thing. maybe that's not even an egg????

also I found a dead body near a river related to a woman I remember talking about it with, now I can't remember where she lives....some of these sidequests are kind of tough to figure out but I don't wanna spoil anything for myself.

If it's Kali that's not the egg, the egg is a hidden item in one of the world areas on the way to Alfyn's town that someone on the path reveals to you after inquiring/scrutinizing them.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

the best AND worst part of this game is I want everyone in my party at all times.

I am maining therion but I want tressa in my party too but then I have to give up guide/allure or provoke! :(

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Beo posted:

the best AND worst part of this game is I want everyone in my party at all times.

I am maining therion but I want tressa in my party too but then I have to give up guide/allure or provoke! :(

Provoke is only used in towns so it doesn't help you at all in dungeons. Im using Therion and Tressa and just pop Olberic into my party when I need to do sidequest stuff. Cheesing duels against high-difficulty enemies gets you a really solid amount of EXP too so keeping his levels caught up isn't too tough.

Also, selling people on Tressa: She's the best Runelord in the game because Sidestep makes your entire party completely immune to physical attacks which is absolutely bananas. Honestly, her collect skill, even when enhanced by Snatch, is pretty non-negligible for most of the game until you hit the CH4 bosses, and even then only bosses. Her passive gold finding scales with level so early-on the cash output isn't that great, you're much better off hunting down the four Steal% boosts and collecting loot to sell. I had around 600k by the time I was doing the advanced job shrines and let me tell you, that wasn't from battling. Now though, I'm close to a million now that Tressa is level 45 and the enemy drop rates are getting high enough to make the bonus percentage really noticeable.

I think the main reason people are having money trouble is that they're buying gear, which you shouldn't really be doing until you hit the really lategame towns. The weapons that cost 7/8k are NOT worth it when you can go into dungeons and steal from towns and get enough gear to deck out your entire party, and this will be true for most of the game. I bought some gear for Therion after his CH1 but from there, I bought maybe two weapons for the next 20 hours and mostly spent my money on healing items.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I didn't buy anything and had like 2,000,000 so I'm just spamming the sellswords a lot lol

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Good point I think if I ditch haan'it and put hunter on someone I should be fine for breaks on the majority of content.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think the main reason people are having money trouble is that they're buying gear, which you shouldn't really be doing until you hit the really lategame towns. The weapons that cost 7/8k are NOT worth it when you can go into dungeons and steal from towns and get enough gear to deck out your entire party, and this will be true for most of the game. I bought some gear for Therion after his CH1 but from there, I bought maybe two weapons for the next 20 hours and mostly spent my money on healing items.

Same except I didn't buy healing items either because you can find them (or steal them at high percentages) everywhere

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Still in the first ring picking up bros. But I havent seen any good stuff in the empty side dungeons i have wandered into. Even behind a lame moth sideboss was just a life olive M

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah, using a medium element stone one shots them.

I wish I thought to try this.. I've had four Caits escape on me.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Bit of a noob question I keep seeing in the top right corner 'press d pad for party banter' but so I press d pad but nothing happens????

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

nerd_of_prey posted:

Bit of a noob question I keep seeing in the top right corner 'press d pad for party banter' but so I press d pad but nothing happens????

That is the Plus symbol, in the 'Start' button location.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

nerd_of_prey posted:

The Switch doesn't have a dpad. It has four buttons functioning as a dpad, buy it doesn't have a dpad.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mordiceius posted:

The Switch doesn't have a dpad. It has four buttons functioning as a dpad, buy it doesn't have a dpad.

Play on a pro controller

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Ahh ok, I play on a pro controller and I thought it looked more like a d pad than a plus!

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan
Just finished primrose's ch2, at Tressa's ch2 end, and having difficulty beating him, so gonna level up tressa a bit to help out.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm not using Tressa, and I don't savescum the really low percentage stuff on Therion, and money has not ever been much of an issue. And I absolutely do buy gear in most towns that I visit. Usually the most expensive stuff will be a decent upgrade, so I'll buy one or two pieces for like 30k. No money problems, and it feels like I've got pretty decent equipment for where I'm at. I do only keep 4 sets of gear going, though, and I don't worry about having more than 1 top-tier weapon of any kind, it's never felt necessary between the fact that most of the time I don't have more than 1-2 characters who can use any weapon type, and the fact that for the magic-users, they'd rather have a +4 ATK, +50 ELE knife than a +150 ATK knife anyway.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rirse posted:

I know this been asked again and again, but when is the best time to take on the bonus job dungeons? Tressa is level 45, Primrose is 38, Olberic is 35, and Olphia is level 39.

I was at those levels, or lower, for most of the fights. Having a solid plan matters more than a few extra levels.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Character Tier List

S Tier
Therion

A+ Tier
Alfyn
Primrose
Olberic
Tressa
Cyrus
H'aanit
Ophilia

:hmmyes:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Is anyone else just sitting on all the nuts they've found? I'm terrified the moment I use them I'll realize that I've cut myself off from some far better use.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Nope, I've been shoving them down Tressa's throat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm not sure how people are reliably doing the Starseer cheese strat, or I have really bad RNG because she almost immediately removes the buffs.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Party composition is still stressing me the hell out. Tressa as Runelord is such an insanely powerful option that obviously I need her in my party. But then, what, I get rid of the only person who can open purple chests? There might be good poo poo in those chests!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Is anyone else just sitting on all the nuts they've found? I'm terrified the moment I use them I'll realize that I've cut myself off from some far better use.

I'm sitting on so many nuts.

deftest
May 7, 2011
I'm ready for a final review after having played for a long time and seeing the rest of the game well laid out in front of me:

Super cool that they're still making games like this, as it seemed game companies had all but stopped. The actual mechanics--both in combat and "path action"s--are excellent. Virtually all of the enjoyment I get out of playing comes from those. The story exists. Some of them are intriguing. Most of them are not. Even the best ones (Olberic + Primrose, I say) have no shortage of painfully slow moments.

Modern game must-haves like minimap waypoints and quest markers over the tops of NPC's heads destroy the experience. It's fun to explore Midgar's seedy underbelly, hearing vague chatter about a beauty contest and wondering how you might get in on it. It's not fun to run from green dot to green dot to trigger the next cutscene. It feels tedious, especially in the case of some of the weaker stories.

Play it for the interesting puzzles presented in combat; the fun progression through towns with sidequests that encourage you to steal, allure, investigate, and challenge; and hope that the story-wing of their dev team gets a much bigger budget in octopath 2, enneapath traveler

7/10

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Party composition is still stressing me the hell out. Tressa as Runelord is such an insanely powerful option that obviously I need her in my party. But then, what, I get rid of the only person who can open purple chests? There might be good poo poo in those chests!
You can always go back and open the purple chests after you're done with the dungeon! A bit more tedious but it frees up an A-team slot.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

deftest posted:

I'm ready for a final review after having played for a long time and seeing the rest of the game well laid out in front of me:

Super cool that they're still making games like this, as it seemed game companies had all but stopped. The actual mechanics--both in combat and "path action"s--are excellent. Virtually all of the enjoyment I get out of playing comes from those. The story exists. Some of them are intriguing. Most of them are not. Even the best ones (Olberic + Primrose, I say) have no shortage of painfully slow moments.

Modern game must-haves like minimap waypoints and quest markers over the tops of NPC's heads destroy the experience. It's fun to explore Midgar's seedy underbelly, hearing vague chatter about a beauty contest and wondering how you might get in on it. It's not fun to run from green dot to green dot to trigger the next cutscene. It feels tedious, especially in the case of some of the weaker stories.

Play it for the interesting puzzles presented in combat; the fun progression through towns with sidequests that encourage you to steal, allure, investigate, and challenge; and hope that the story-wing of their dev team gets a much bigger budget in octopath 2, enneapath traveler

7/10

Press R

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

You can always go back and open the purple chests after you're done with the dungeon! A bit more tedious but it frees up an A-team slot.

I think that's what it's going to have to be. I guess it's not really that much more tedium, and the benefits are looking really good.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Therion is maybe a lackluster partymember against bosses where instead of sustain via Steal SP you're more likely to spam items, but he's great as a Warmaster since you can end pretty much any encounter with your Divine skill on turn 3, then the next battle open with Steal SP to fill back up to 100% and repeat again.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What's a good party comp for the real final boss. That's what I'm hung up on.

I already know I have to use all 8 so dividing them and their jobs up is paralyzing me because if I go through 8 fights beforehand I wanna try to clear first try so I don't have to do it again :/

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Therion is maybe a lackluster partymember against bosses where instead of sustain via Steal SP you're more likely to spam items, but he's great as a Warmaster since you can end pretty much any encounter with your Divine skill on turn 3, then the next battle open with Steal SP to fill back up to 100% and repeat again.

I guess the takeaway I'm sort of getting is that I can't let Path Actions be the decider in my party structure

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I used:

H'aanit / warrior
Tressa / runelord
Cyrus / sorcerer
Ophelia / thief

Olberic / warmaster
Therion / hunter
Primrose / starseer
Alfyn / cleric

All the damagers had bp eater, saving grace, surpassing power, and physical prowess or elemental edge. Ophelia and Alfyn with patience, saving grace, show must go on, and physical prowess. The only thing I probably would've changed is an apothecary in the first team.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

I'm not sure how people are reliably doing the Starseer cheese strat, or I have really bad RNG because she almost immediately removes the buffs.

I got her down to yellow, broke her, then did 100k damage with Therion and Olberic (and Alfyn supplying BP) before she recovered

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's probably not optimal but I'm really liking Cyrus as a Starseer. He gets full elemental coverage and the ability to equip the Rune Glaive for the big EAtk boost. He also gets a nice hat.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I just finished Primrose's first chapter and met the Wayfaring Girl who is the subject of a side quest (Ria, Born to Roam (I)). I have Tressa with me and I noticed that she has an Empowering RIng (+200 HP) and an Inferno Amulet available for purchase. The ring is only ¥2,850 so it's an obvious purchase, but the Amulet is ¥12,825 so I'd probably want to come back with Therion to steal it.

Anyways, if I solve the quest by challenging and defeating the Ne'er-do-well next to her, Ria disappears and I can't purchase/steal those items anymore. I even checked some side quest guides and they all say to challenge the Ne'er-do-well but none mention to steal the ring/amulet first. Do I have to grab them before completing the quest?

If so, are there other ephemeral NPCs like this? There was the extortionist in Atlasdam that I beat up and he disappeared, but I don't think he was carrying anything useful.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 27, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If so, are there other ephemeral NPCs like this? There was the extortionist in Atlasdam that I beat up and he disappeared, but I don't think he was carrying anything useful.

Ria is a recurring NPC who will get more items as the game goes on, but will still keep her original inventory. I just checked where she was in my file and she's in a really late-game zone but she still had the Inferno Amulet, as I hadn't stolen it yet. Some characters will move locations and get new items under certain circumstances. For example, there's one quest I did where I realized I got a bad ending for it, so I checked online and figured out how to get the good ending involving someone on the other side of the world. Afterward, one of the NPCs I had to get moved to a different location, and they got a new item in their inventory, whereas finishing the quest gave me the same reward both times. The number of NPCs who permanently leave are almost non-existent but do exist (the crest-bearing NPCs after you defeat them), but don't hold anything really really good and never anything missable.

So, long story short, a very few number of NPCs will disappear without you being able to steal from them again, but there are no missables in the game you can't get somewhere else.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Ria appears in a different city afterward, while the thug moves to a different spot in the same town.

I don’t think there are any steal actions that can be permanently missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Just robbed the church and Ophi don't give no fucks.

Also just watched Alyfn have his big dramatic send off, leaving the safety of the village to his boyfriend. And then I recruited him anyway and dragged him off from the village.

Party composition is weird.

Should I bother grinding everyone up to 20ish before hitting Chapter 2's or is the curve light enough that they'll get up there just by doing those quests? Because right now Ophilia and H'aanit are the only ones near 20 for me.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 27, 2018