Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Shear Modulus posted:

so when is brexit for real happening again? is there like a specific date where if they havent reached a deal everything will go down?

Yeah that's the funniest part of this whole thing, before she had any strategy or even a just a goal in mind for what she might want to get from an exit agreement, Theresa May whipped Parliament to pull the trigger on a 2-year countdown to negotiate something or crash out of the common market with no trade deals.

...then she immediately took 3 months off to have an election because she thought delivering the Brexit bill would grant her a huge majority, smashing Labour forever...whoops lost the majority completely and had to form a coalition with Irish religious fanatics whose one Brexit goal is to maintain open borders with Ireland and with mainland Britain so as not to restart the Troubles, something which half of her own party will under no circumstances accept because open borders with Ireland means open borders with Poland and all the Poles were supposed to go home.

Having wasted three months with the time ticking away, and now saddled with a coalition partner having desires fundamentally incompatible with much of her own party, finally she says "okay team, what should we ask for from Europe, what do we all want out of this." Smelling blood, the biggest Brexit boosters in her own party resigned so when it all goes tits-up they can say "all those great things we promised were all true, Theresa May stabbed Brexit in the back!"

Everything about it is mind-bogglingly stupid from start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

march 29 2019 11pm british time, 12am brussels time

apparently they can still call backsies before then, and bookies are giving it nearly even odds that they will (whatever that's worth)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

i'm just blindly treating it like everyone will come to their senses and it won't be that bad

kind of tempted to eat and drink so much i'm insanely fat though for when no deal happens

That just means you'll make your own gravy.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
the funniest brexit outcome is, of course, they go through with it, decide it was a huge mistake, and run back to the EU under less favorable terms than they had to begin with

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

The next general election isn't until 2022 too, so they can't just run down the clock and let Labour own it without collapsing their own government and triggering yet another election.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The next general election isn't until 2022 too, so they can't just run down the clock and let Labour own it without collapsing their own government and triggering yet another election.

if they trigger another election won't the absolute boy become pm and tell all the racists to gently caress off while he nationalizes all their assets?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gringostar posted:

if they trigger another election won't the absolute boy become pm and tell all the racists to gently caress off while he nationalizes all their assets?

God Save the Boy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

the funniest brexit outcome is, of course, they go through with it, decide it was a huge mistake, and run back to the EU under less favorable terms than they had to begin with

my completely uninformed guess is thats what the most likely outcome is

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

theoretically there can be another election before 2022 if the tories lose a no-confidence vote or if they decide to hold an election theyre sure to lose right as brexit happens so they can blame everything bad that happens on labour

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Shear Modulus posted:

my completely uninformed guess is thats what the most likely outcome is

my even more uninformed guess is that everybody is so prideful and unwilling to admit defeat that brexit happens and the nation goes full mad max

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

logikv9 posted:

my even more uninformed guess is that everybody is so prideful and unwilling to admit defeat that brexit happens and the nation goes full mad max

pretty solid uninformed guess based on what's happening in every liberal democracy everywhere (except portugal?)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

logikv9 posted:

i'm gonna get sooooo many cheap games workshop products from their suddenly devalued currency lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm gonna get sooooo many cheap games workshop products from their suddenly devalued currency lol

you will be able to buy the entire company for a shipping container full of factory second bread

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
looking forward to looting the country to upgrade my record collection.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
im kidnapping British panel show guests for my own personal amusement

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

India and Ireland get the first asset draft picks.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah that's the funniest part of this whole thing, before she had any strategy or even a just a goal in mind for what she might want to get from an exit agreement, Theresa May whipped Parliament to pull the trigger on a 2-year countdown to negotiate something or crash out of the common market with no trade deals.

...then she immediately took 3 months off to have an election because she thought delivering the Brexit bill would grant her a huge majority, smashing Labour forever...whoops lost the majority completely and had to form a coalition with Irish religious fanatics whose one Brexit goal is to maintain open borders with Ireland and with mainland Britain so as not to restart the Troubles, something which half of her own party will under no circumstances accept because open borders with Ireland means open borders with Poland and all the Poles were supposed to go home.

Having wasted three months with the time ticking away, and now saddled with a coalition partner having desires fundamentally incompatible with much of her own party, finally she says "okay team, what should we ask for from Europe, what do we all want out of this." Smelling blood, the biggest Brexit boosters in her own party resigned so when it all goes tits-up they can say "all those great things we promised were all true, Theresa May stabbed Brexit in the back!"

That's an amazingly good summary.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

India and Ireland get the first asset draft picks.

trading back all the british museum plunder for some chickpeas and paneer

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

in a cruel twist of fate, morrissey becomes a cannibal

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I think it's a good thing the Anglo beast is finally dying after centuries of attrocity

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Maybe Ireland can repopulate the soon to be uninhabited island

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
with the immigrants gone and its agricultural economy in shambles it'll be cool to see england getting back to its culinary roots

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

with the immigrants gone and its agricultural economy in shambles it'll be cool to see england getting back to its culinary roots

Enough about America though.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dreddout posted:

I think it's a good thing the Anglo beast is finally dying after centuries of attrocity

Perfidious Albion prostrate at long last!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

logikv9 posted:

yeah probably

i thought about it a little more and i think may and the tories probably went full steam ahead on this unstoppable two-year brexit deal because they understood at some level that manufacturing another economic crisis would be the most expedient route to ram through even more austerity and privatization. but having lost the majority and control of the situation they arent able to act on that.

also "manufacture a crisis to ram through even more austerity and privatization" is the entirety of the neoliberal playbook so being unable to do that, they are literally unable to do anything because they are incapable of understanding the situation as it is.

at another level they are also incapable of recognizing they have actually lost control of the process. this is also true of american neolibs in the age of TRUMP

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
releasing a plague in which only you have the cure, except the cure doesn't work and also you can't get out

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

at another level they are also incapable of recognizing they have actually lost control of the process. this is also true of american neolibs in the age of TRUMP

I think the understated thing about Trump's farm hand out is that it demonstrates he's willing to bail out any industry and not just finance. So when libs complain about it being a "soviet farm bill" they don't even realize how much ground they're ceding in terms of policy.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That doesn't stop them trying!!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

to everyone with two brain cells to rub together it all looks mind-bogglingly stupid because theyre still trying to fit square pegs into round holes. and there are no square holes any more. we got a new board without square holes. there are a lot of different shapes of holes except square ones, and actually there are tons of matching pegs for all those shapes but the only one theyre working with is the square one

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/GarySegura/status/1022407391810387969

the man who ripped the NYT a new rear end in a top hat when they came over to UCLA for a chat can drop some p great burns too, as it turns out

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Al! posted:

in a cruel twist of fate, morrissey becomes a cannibal

meat is murder and murder is back on the menu boys!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

uber_stoat posted:

meat is murder and murder is back on the menu boys!

be careful with meat: one time i tried just leaving the meat out but its not worth it, it gets really uh "harsh" (sharp? you know meat thats bad)

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Epic High Five posted:

Brexit 2020: "We can't sell these stockpiled non perishables because they are being traded as a speculative investment vehicle, and doing so would cause much instability to the CANBEANS futures"

I'm thinking bout those CANBEANS

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

apparently they can still call backsies before then
this is something the UK and EU have diverging opinions on, fwiw

Bonfire Lit has issued a correction as of 08:01 on Jul 27, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AnthonyNBCNews/status/1007641228438134784

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i gotta say my favorite stories are the ones where people voted for their spouse to be deported

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Face eaten.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

When Britain is ashes, then you have my permission to rejoin the EU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

...whoops lost the majority completely and had to form a coalition with Irish religious fanatics whose one Brexit goal is to maintain open borders with Ireland and with mainland Britain so as not to restart the Troubles,

Except that they would never refer to themselves as Irish in a million years, they would welcome a return to the sectarian violence of the Troubles, and they have no interest in an open border with Ireland.

But yeah other than that good summary...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So what happened? That was a month ago.

Ahha: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/07/25/ice-to-deport-wife-of-marine-iraq-vet-aug-3/

Shes being deported next week