Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good

Shima Honnou posted:

Actually it costs between $36.75 and $61.25 depending on the volume of that shift since they reserve the right to either send you home early by calling shift in 3 hours or keeping you an extra hour of not-overtime for a 5 hour shift. usually they offer VTO when it seems like the volume is low and then the people who don't take it end up paid a little bit more because they gotta stay longer to make up the difference. Literally everyone I've spoken to hates the management lol

I work at a Amazon fulfillment center as a second job and I figured we would have to work longer every time a VTO is sent out. Mostly everyone in management is full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
everything I've ever heard about working for amazon has been terrible. people crying, being vicious towards eachother, just a brutal poo poo environment. pay isn't even that great. not sure what people get out of it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

PantsandCola posted:

I work at a Amazon fulfillment center as a second job and I figured we would have to work longer every time a VTO is sent out. Mostly everyone in management is full of poo poo.

Pretty much although now they're doing a super fun thing where special positions don't even get VTO sometimes. I'm a waterspider so it means who even knows if they sent out a VTO today because I ain't got one and I'm about to leave to get to work!

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

everything I've ever heard about working for amazon has been terrible. people crying, being vicious towards eachother, just a brutal poo poo environment. pay isn't even that great. not sure what people get out of it.

They hire basically anyone that can pass an oral drug test is what they get out of it, economy's poo poo and there's no other jobs for most people.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I used to be a waiter at an Italian restaurant.
The owner was sleazy and would keep the tips and only give us 10 euros from it at the end of the shift, no matter how much we worked or got tipped.

But he was also sleazy with the customers, our cheapest wine was 4.99, our dearest 99.99-119.99.
But for 20 you could get a carafe of the 'house special'.

So what was in the house special worth 20 euros? The 4.99 wine.
And what was in the 119.99 wine? The 4.99 MIXED with remains of the other wines to make it taste different.

Never get the house special drink wherever you are unless really cheap, its always the cheapest poo poo they can't market or get rid of.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
what if i told you about science baby huh what would yo usay then

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

They have to work and have no other options beyond even worse paying fast food jobs what kind stupid rear end question is that.

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good

Shima Honnou posted:

Pretty much although now they're doing a super fun thing where special positions don't even get VTO sometimes. I'm a waterspider so it means who even knows if they sent out a VTO today because I ain't got one and I'm about to leave to get to work!

I've noticed. VTO's from the hub are ineligible to me because I work in inbound.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Shima Honnou posted:

They hire basically anyone that can pass an oral drug test is what they get out of it, economy's poo poo and there's no other jobs for most people.

This is why using unemployment as a sign of how well the economy is doing is complete bullshit. Anyone can get a job now (or 2 or 3) at Amazon, Uber, Postmates etc that will do nothing but wring every last drop of life out of you for the privilege of staying in your lovely apartment for another month.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shima Honnou posted:

The heck is an oral drug test?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

they just ask you if you do drugs

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

They have to work and have no other options beyond even worse paying fast food jobs what kind stupid rear end question is that.

I'm talking about the white collar salaried jobs friend. Clearly, many or most of those people have options.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Burt Sexual posted:

The heck is an oral drug test?

It’s a swab, I think it’s cheaper and faster to administer but detects for less time. It’s actually better for not loving over people who smoke weed since it’s only 72 hours tops not a month or two

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

I'm talking about the white collar salaried jobs friend. Clearly, many or most of those people have options.

In that case there are quite a few people who get off on being responsible for human suffering. Sorry to misunderstand

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Do they test for mj in legal states?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

happyhippy posted:

The owner was sleazy and would keep the tips and only give us 10 euros from it at the end of the shift, no matter how much we worked or got tipped.

But he was also sleazy with the customers, our cheapest wine was 4.99, our dearest 99.99-119.99.

And what was in the 119.99 wine? The 4.99 MIXED with remains of the other wines to make it taste different.

Never get the house special drink wherever you are unless really cheap, its always the cheapest poo poo they can't market or get rid of.

This seems like a good thing to take to a local newspaper

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Outrail posted:

How do they justify paying cooks so little and dish pigs so much (relatively)?

Well, first off, don't call dishwashers dish pigs. Restaurants wouldn't run without them. If I ever run a kitchen, the hierarchy will be Me>>Sous>>Head Dishwasher>>CDP's. I'm really loving bummed out that I'm skilled enough to work in a michelin kitchen but I make more money loving washing dishes.

I work for a staffing agency. When a dishwasher, prep, or line cook doesn't show up, the restaurant or catering company posts a listing. The more desperate they are to fill the shift, the more they're willing to pay. I've been paid 35/hr to make chicken sandwiches because they called me up on a sunday morning like, "hey, can you come make chicken sandwiches? 35/hr." So I was like, well, I guess I'm making chicken sandwiches today.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ekuNNN posted:

This seems like a good thing to take to a local newspaper

Nah, went out of business years ago. Think its now a chinese restaurant.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

happyhippy posted:

I washed dishes at a place that has a 99 page wine list. I'll never forget clearing off some plates, asking a server if he still needed a receipt, and as I was throwing it into the trash I saw their bill was 3000 dollars.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Dave Concepcion posted:

in places where plastic shopping bags near universally end their lives as garbage bags and littering isn't a problem, trying to force a shift to paper or whatever is straight up counterproductive feel good bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s00clSUUfV4

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Alobar posted:

Well, first off, don't call dishwashers dish pigs. Restaurants wouldn't run without them. If I ever run a kitchen, the hierarchy will be Me>>Sous>>Head Dishwasher>>CDP's. I'm really loving bummed out that I'm skilled enough to work in a michelin kitchen but I make more money loving washing dishes.

Sorry, that's just what everyone including dishwashers call dishwashers back home.

Like calling a teacher a 'chalky' , or an accountant a 'pencil pusher'. See also chippy (carpenter), digger (soldier), dunny diver (plumber), sparky (electrician), garbo (trash collector) etc etc

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Outrail posted:

Sorry, that's just what everyone including dishwashers call dishwashers back home.

Like calling a teacher a 'chalky' , or an accountant a 'pencil pusher'. See also chippy (carpenter), digger (soldier), dunny diver (plumber), sparky (electrician), garbo (trash collector) etc etc

Is 'back home' the 1940's?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

popewiles posted:

australia, probably

so yeah, for all intents and purposes

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

popewiles posted:

Australia? So... Yeah.

Haha Efb

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Outrail posted:

Haha what? This post is Garbo!

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
this has nothing to do with anything, but it's all I know about australia, and it's loving funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV3tfauw3vQ

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Shima Honnou posted:

I work in an Amazon routing center and our cafeteria is a self-checkout little store. It's also the place with the most cameras in the whole building. If you so much as leave that area with a single thing you haven't paid for they will track and fire your rear end on the spot. The guy who runs it keeps a spreadsheet of exactly how many of anything is in stock and checks it against the sales records every few hours. Welcome to your future.

Bonus capitalism: the same items from the vending machines are like $1 to $3 cheaper but the vending machines routinely refuse to accept money whenever they feel like it so if you want anything other than water or free coffee you gotta go to the one store in the whole building.

I used to work for CapitalOne and they had the exact same thing, with the added benefit that you had to load money onto a special card to use it AND you could only add the money in $5 increments. So if you just wanted to buy a soda or something, gently caress you, you need $5.

I never used that poo poo. gently caress company stores.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Burt Sexual posted:

Haha what? This post is Garbo!

I'm sorry you can't appreciate our rich linguistic culture ya loving tosser.

What a oval office amirite mates?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

There was an incredibly depressing article about this huge group of "retired" people who live out of old RV campers cuz they lost their houses and travel around the country working for Amazon for complete garbage wages until they become too old to be useful at which point they drive the RV far out into the desert and die

e: Here it is

https://www.wired.com/story/meet-camperforce-amazons-nomadic-retiree-army/

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm real glad we dumped the king's tea in the fuckin bay and rebelled before we got infected by the brain disease that makes the commonwealth shorten everything to some cutesy word.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Christ I forgot this part

quote:

From a hiring perspective, the RVers were a dream labor force. They showed up on demand and dispersed just before Christmas in what the company cheerfully called a “taillight parade.” They asked for little in the way of benefits or protections. And though warehouse jobs were physically taxing—not an obvious fit for older bodies—recruiters came to see Camper­Force workers’ maturity as an asset. These were diligent, responsible employees. Their attendance rates were excellent.

We’ve had folks in their eighties who do a phenomenal job for us,” noted Kelly Calmes, a Camper­Force representative, in one online recruiting seminar. He elaborated: “You guys have put in a lifetime of work. You understand what work is.”

Come work for amazon, you understand what work is and will do it 'till you loving die, and we'll pay you a fraction of a percent of what your labor is actually worth to us

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Senor Dog posted:

I'm real glad we dumped the king's tea in the fuckin bay and rebelled before we got infected by the brain disease that makes the commonwealth shorten everything to some cutesy word.

i totes agree lmfao :cawg:

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ooVr6RZ_nw

"A large robotic arm futilely tries to clean up a blood-red mess from the floor of The Guggenheim in the art installation “Can’t Help Myself” by Sun Yuan and Peng Yu. As it makes large sweeping motions, the arm simply pushes the colored cellulose ether fluid around the floor, splattering more of its enclosure in the process and never really making any progress."

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Outrail posted:

Do they test for mj in legal states?

for certain jobs.

police departments for example.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

succ posted:

for certain jobs.

police departments for example.

Actually many jobs, it’s a company policy not law.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Burt Sexual posted:

Actually many jobs, it’s a company policy not law.

Yeah, typically jobs close to sensitive/dangerous equipment or security clearances still involve a drug test of some sort. Or jobs with hiring requirements set by stodgier sorts.

Most of the time though (in white collar work at least) it's more of a "don't be high on company time" policy with the threat of a drug test if they suspect you're not abiding by that.

When I worked for the state (before they changed the policy) there was some slight irony in that using mj at all was against the org's policy, but then you'd have a slide in the quarterly deck discussing the distribution of the mj tax income in the budget.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://qz.com/1327804/its-impossible-to-lead-a-totally-ethical-life-but-its-fun-to-try/

"There’s no need to feel bad about failing to live a perfectly ethical life. That would be counterproductive. Feeling guilty doesn’t actually make us more moral. Oxford University ethicist Carissa Veliz explains in Practical Ethics that guilty feelings about wrong actions don’t make us more inclined to do better."

“When considering ethics, good and evil become limiting concepts,” Gilbert says. “Instead, it’s far more beneficial to consider our ability to make personal choices that [correspond to] either our higher or our lower nature. From that perspective evil lives in the conscious desire to act solely for oneself.”

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

TheMostFrench posted:

https://qz.com/1327804/its-impossible-to-lead-a-totally-ethical-life-but-its-fun-to-try/

"There’s no need to feel bad about failing to live a perfectly ethical life. That would be counterproductive. Feeling guilty doesn’t actually make us more moral. Oxford University ethicist Carissa Veliz explains in Practical Ethics that guilty feelings about wrong actions don’t make us more inclined to do better."

“When considering ethics, good and evil become limiting concepts,” Gilbert says. “Instead, it’s far more beneficial to consider our ability to make personal choices that [correspond to] either our higher or our lower nature. From that perspective evil lives in the conscious desire to act solely for oneself.”

A true sage already codified this much in a much shorter and more wise way.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lol

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Remember, it's bad when those who steal from you are forced to give you your money if they're capitalists.
https://twitter.com/jonsteingart/status/1022586925385957376

Sounds familiar.

TheMostFrench posted:

Oh, lol. This is why I want a inquisition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Outrail posted:

Why do you people hate language and decency?