Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Despite the words on the back of my shirt I'm a parking enforcement officer at work (an airport, specifically the pick up and drop off area), day in day out I have to explain to people what the sign right next to them means, it means immediate pick up and drop off only not "i'm going to sit here for the 5-10 minutes it takes for people to get off the plane and grab their bags and get outside. It's pointless counting how many times I hear "they are just getting their bags now", "they are just coming now", "they just texted me they are at the door", I don't give a flying gently caress this is a tiny airport with more passengers than it's designed to handle, your sitting in your car with the A/C, radio and a comfy seat it's not an inconvenience for you to gently caress off until your passenger is standing on the kerb. No you can't just "run inside for 2 minutes" to get something it's never 2 minutes it's always 20 and it's an airport, you can't just abandon poo poo here. I have so many peeves at this job and with peoples behavior but if I went through them all I would be writing a thousand words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tarantula posted:

Despite the words on the back of my shirt I'm a parking enforcement officer at work (an airport, specifically the pick up and drop off area), day in day out I have to explain to people what the sign right next to them means, it means immediate pick up and drop off only not "i'm going to sit here for the 5-10 minutes it takes for people to get off the plane and grab their bags and get outside. It's pointless counting how many times I hear "they are just getting their bags now", "they are just coming now", "they just texted me they are at the door", I don't give a flying gently caress this is a tiny airport with more passengers than it's designed to handle, your sitting in your car with the A/C, radio and a comfy seat it's not an inconvenience for you to gently caress off until your passenger is standing on the kerb. No you can't just "run inside for 2 minutes" to get something it's never 2 minutes it's always 20 and it's an airport, you can't just abandon poo poo here. I have so many peeves at this job and with peoples behavior but if I went through them all I would be writing a thousand words.

Solution for especially irritating cases: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5325_KHII3s&t=53s

Plastic judge dredd costume is optional, but i'd go with it.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Solution for especially irritating cases: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5325_KHII3s&t=53s

Plastic judge dredd costume is optional, but i'd go with it.

God I loving wish, best I can do is issue a parking ticket for the stubborn people.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

What the poo poo is wrong with people that can't understand how air conditioner thermostats work?

:downs: "It's cooler today so I set the thermostat to 90F so the AC wouldn't run."

IT WILL NOT RUN ON ITS OWN, THAT'S THE WHOLE loving POINT OF A THERMOSTAT.

:downs: I want it to be 74F but i set to 50F so it will cool down faster."

gently caress YOU.

My mother had a Master's degree and almost completed a PhD before she died, and she still could not figure out how air conditioner thermostats work. She would turn the AC off on summer days because, "We don't need it on! It's cool in here!" Then someone would say softly and gently (me) or yell in exasperation (father, brother, and also me), "It's cool in here BECAUSE THE AC IS ON. HOW DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS? HOWWWW???"

She could understand how the heat worked in the winter, but the AC was an enigma and possibly not even a real thing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Rabbit Hill posted:

My mother had a Master's degree and almost completed a PhD before she died, and she still could not figure out how air conditioner thermostats work. She would turn the AC off on summer days because, "We don't need it on! It's cool in here!" Then someone would say softly and gently (me) or yell in exasperation (father, brother, and also me), "It's cool in here BECAUSE THE AC IS ON. HOW DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS? HOWWWW???"

She could understand how the heat worked in the winter, but the AC was an enigma and possibly not even a real thing.

Not targeted at you specifically, but people who assume people with PhDs are smart about everything is one of my peeves. If you ask me pretty much anything besides what my research sub-field consisting of maybe 50 people on earth, i'm a complete moron (as I'm sure many posters on this forum could attest to). Like when I see people like Stephen Hawking being asked about stuff he has no business commenting on it really annoys me. Yeah he was smart as hell but you shouldn't use your degree to gain authority in areas where you have no business commenting on.

Basically what I'm saying is I can relate to your mom on not knowing how to do some basic things.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's like Elon Musk being asked about anything. The man himself is a loving idiot, but he gets all the credit because he has tons of money to throw around; he's a online nerd hero because he's got exciting ideas (go to Mars! Underground bus system! Kickass submarine to rescue children!), but he's rapidly being discovered to be a total shithead.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tarantula posted:

God I loving wish, best I can do is issue a parking ticket for the stubborn people.

Honestly just being able to ticket people in an airport environment would help a ton. I’m in private aviation but every time I have to go through the terminal to get to airport ops or security I wish I could ticket people that get in the way for their own tiny convenience.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Having any degree shows an ability to learn though, I assume they tried to educate mom before just yelling at her.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

Having any degree shows an ability to learn though, I assume they tried to educate mom before just yelling at her.

People can be stubborn, even smart people. Nobody likes to be told they're wrong.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Has anyone ever let the "your application crashed, please wait while we submit a report to microsoft" complete? What's the point? It just broke, I'll just restart it, They aren't going to do poo poo about it. All it does is annoy me for a few seconds while I have to click cancel.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

Oh, yes! She just couldn't get it, though -- it was like her mind was a CD with one little scratch over "this is how air conditioning works".

I have lots of these CD scratches, myself. Like, I'm 40 and I still can't manage to use colored markers without getting ink all over my hands like a goddamn child.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

enough with the dumb little curled hand next to your face when you're photographed

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

enough with the dumb little curled hand next to your face when you're photographed

Can you elaborate on the little curved hand? I'm familiar with common picture peeves like "duck face" and that thing where people lean forward for no reason, but not the little curled hand.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Can you elaborate on the little curved hand? I'm familiar with common picture peeves like "duck face" and that thing where people lean forward for no reason, but not the little curled hand.

poo poo like this

once you start looking for it, it's loving everywhere, and people attempting to appear casual in a very calculated way gets on my tits

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

It's possible she gets paid to show off the watch. I have not noticed this as a trend so I can't say whether that explanation holds for all of the

little curled hands

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

jesus I feel like Miller in Repo Man pointing out the air fresheners

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It definitely looks familiar, I just couldn't picture it.

I still think the "bend forward and stick your rear end out" pose is more obnoxious. It's not like the cameraman is short and you need to get in the shot. Like every wedding party (at least on the bridal side) photo is like this. Also the simultaneous jump in the air picture. Think of something new.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Has anyone ever let the "your application crashed, please wait while we submit a report to microsoft" complete? What's the point? It just broke, I'll just restart it, They aren't going to do poo poo about it. All it does is annoy me for a few seconds while I have to click cancel.

I think I actually got a response to "LET'S SEE IF MICROSOFT CAN SOLVE THIS PROBLEM" once.

(They could not.)

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Relating to the air conditioning talk: Being the person in charge of setting the temperature of the office is the worst.

Everyone is either too hot or too cold and they are near death. I used to have people that would sneak heaters into their cubes because they were "freezing". They'd end up popping breakers from the load. I always had the thermostat set at 72. Winter or Summer. Yet, somehow, one day would be freezing, the next boiling. We had to put locking covers on the thermostats. People would adjust the temperature all the time, throughout the day, and put the load balancing so far off that one A/C unit would ice up and stop working and the next one down the line would be turned off and the next one would start icing because it's covering too much square footage and then pretty soon I've got no A/C and I've got to get up on the roof and deal with iced up filters and dripping water.

The solution: Aside from using locking covers, I got some of those stickers that show the current temperature and gave them to the whiners. I put them on their cubes so they could see the ambient temperature at all times. After they had proof of temp, they stopped complaining.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I recently noticed just how often I do this in selfies (not photos that other people take of me, though.) It's not intentional, it just...happens. I assume I get focused on my face and just forget about the hand? Which is honestly terrible portraitrature technique.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

People who occupy the bathroom for hours at a time: what in the gently caress are you doing in there??

I can only piss outside so many times before the police start to think that I have problems!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

People who occupy the bathroom for hours at a time: what in the gently caress are you doing in there??

I can only piss outside so many times before the police start to think that I have problems!

Getting paid to work because they hate their job and/or getting paid extra pay if they're hourly so they can clock in later than scheduled.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when people totally miss something really obvious that by now they surely should have heard of. I was watching a video from Soft Kore and he has obviously never heard of the three monkeys, because he described them as they were posed. How do you exist and not hear of "See no evil. Hear no evil. Speak no evil."? It's not even required to be watching something couched in eastern mysticism, monkey themed stories reference it too. It's referenced everywhere. I'm probably just bring a gatekeeper though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I get where you're coming from, you'd just expect some things to absorb into people's knowledge. I mentioned liking funk music to my mom yesterday, and she said "what's funk?"

You're the one who grew up with it! You were in your teens/twenties in the seventies! There were so many shows and movies and variety acts, how do you...?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
People who treat the shoulder of the road like another lane when traffic is bad should not be allowed to drive.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People who treat the shoulder of the road like another lane when traffic is bad should not be allowed to drive.

Exception: Buses are allowed to drive on the shoulder. (Legally, where I live, and also because buses are blameless and holy creatures without sin and may act as they please.)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

docbeard posted:

Exception: Buses are allowed to drive on the shoulder. (Legally, where I live, and also because buses are blameless and holy creatures without sin and may act as they please.)

Yeah, that and emergency vehicles can ignore most rules if they need. No issue with that but an impatient prick in a normal vehicle can stay the gently caress off the shoulder.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I get where you're coming from, you'd just expect some things to absorb into people's knowledge. I mentioned liking funk music to my mom yesterday, and she said "what's funk?"

You're the one who grew up with it! You were in your teens/twenties in the seventies! There were so many shows and movies and variety acts, how do you...?

My dad did not understand the phrase "progressive rock" until i explained it to him, and he grew up liking Yes, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull. The first time I tried to explain it he said "Crosby, Stills and Nash were progressive!"

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate when people totally miss something really obvious that by now they surely should have heard of. I was watching a video from Soft Kore and he has obviously never heard of the three monkeys, because he described them as they were posed. How do you exist and not hear of "See no evil. Hear no evil. Speak no evil."? It's not even required to be watching something couched in eastern mysticism, monkey themed stories reference it too. It's referenced everywhere. I'm probably just bring a gatekeeper though.
poo poo, my grandma (born in 1921) had a little stone tchotchke of the three monkeys. I grew up knowing about them long before I learned about their Japanese origins.

My latest peeve: People who don't know how to Google in TYOOL 2018. Someone in another thread asked about a particular image that included such-and-so text and can you help me find it, I've been looking for an hour with no luck! I put the text into Google and find the image at the very first link (of two, the second of which was a dupe of the first). How could you be searching for an hour and not find it? :psyduck:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

poo poo, my grandma (born in 1921) had a little stone tchotchke of the three monkeys. I grew up knowing about them long before I learned about their Japanese origins.

My latest peeve: People who don't know how to Google in TYOOL 2018. Someone in another thread asked about a particular image that included such-and-so text and can you help me find it, I've been looking for an hour with no luck! I put the text into Google and find the image at the very first link (of two, the second of which was a dupe of the first). How could you be searching for an hour and not find it? :psyduck:

Both my Nanny's had three monkeys too. I've never a person under 70 with the little figures tbh. Nanny-stuff :3:

Also I love people not knowing how to Google because it makes me look smarter than I am.

Peeve: waking up in the "middle of the night" but you've actually only been asleep for 45 minutes. What kind of loving sleep cycle is this body? gently caress u at :argh:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My mother thinks I'm some sort of techno wizard, even though I've told her I know most of what I do because I googled it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Hirayuki posted:

My grandma (born 1914) had the three monkeys sitting on a window ledge in her living room. She also had drawings that she had done of them when she was a teen that she would bring out here and there. The three monkeys are one of the first things I remember her teaching me. It works very well for kids for mimicry. The gestures are like playing peekaboo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There is a funny one that is never used - the fourth monkey. He covers his genitals. His motto? "Do no evil." That's kind of :3: I found that out looking up the origins of the monkeys.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Is that monkey saying do no evil with your genitals (rape I guess?) or that your genitals are evil (don't masturbate)??

Wonder where my Nanny hid that little fella

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Premarital sex

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
People who are super religious supposedly but don’t follow things like “kindness” “understanding” “forgiveness” etc. Or is there some version of the Bible that this stuff isn’t included in?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

People who are super religious supposedly but don’t follow things like “kindness” “understanding” “forgiveness” etc. Or is there some version of the Bible that this stuff isn’t included in?

The Old Testament

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Thin Privilege posted:

Nah, they just don't read it. Their religion doesn't exist to enrich their lives, or put them on a spiritual path. Their religion exists to confirm that a higher power believes everything they believe; and that despite the fact that they are undeserving shitheads, and deep down they know it, God thinks they are the best people and deserve everything they have.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Nah, they just don't read it. Their religion doesn't exist to enrich their lives, or put them on a spiritual path. Their religion exists to confirm that a higher power believes everything they believe; and that despite the fact that they are undeserving shitheads, and deep down they know it, God thinks they are the best people and deserve everything they have.

God gives good people all the money and you don't have any because you're a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Iron Crowned posted:

God gives good people all the money and you don't have any because you're a bad person.

No but you see I’m broke and 1000000$ debt and can’t find a job but god has a plan for me and also GUNS FOR EVERYONE