Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I have to put in my headphones to talk to someone on the phone if I have my fan and/or window AC running in the same room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Seeing a run of the mill audiologist won't work for that type of hearing loss. They aren't equipped to test for it at the bullshit hearing aid peddeling offices where they receive all their training from the manufacturers and don't read any current studies.

It's called supra-threshhold hearing loss. There are tests for it, but they need to do more to press the play button on a canned test. Normally find this at a real audiology lab at a research hospital.

It's a sore point because my wife has a super hard time with this and finding a Doctor that understands theory and is covered is really really hard.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I get 10% discount at home depot. Rather have my health than have been hosed up while in. I rode a desk tho, but still makes you a vet in the eyes of the hardware store.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
The navy loving sucks

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Come join the merchant marine! Noone knows who you are or what you do but at least you get paid! (JK never ever leave land)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The navy loving sucks

:emptyquote:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sir Lucius posted:

I get 10% discount at home depot. Rather have my health than have been hosed up while in. I rode a desk tho, but still makes you a vet in the eyes of the hardware store.

Lowe’s does too!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

JK never ever leave land

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Looks like he’s stealing candy from that child. And topless for some reason. Good lord man have some professional pride.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Cool story, image of that statue can't go on Bee shirts now due to shirtless man and offensive :(

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Cool story, image of that statue can't go on Bee shirts now due to shirtless man and offensive :(

lol put a dang ol shirt on and resubmit it

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

put a dick on its chest and resubmit it as a Brock Lesner tshirt

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

LingcodKilla posted:

Unit shirts are for clowns, just relaying how much MAGA we have to go

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
How long can a submarine stay submerged before it has to get fresh air?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Water777 posted:

has anybody seen any nuclear coooooooooodes?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Water777 posted:

Diesel-electric, 2-3 days
AIP, 2-3 weeks
Nuke, 2-3 decades (Donner Class)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Water777 posted:

Forever. The crew, however...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Well, there's another movie I'm not going to able to see in the theater because I'd spend all my time yelling at the screen.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

EBB posted:

has anybody seen any nuclear coooooooooodes?

While we're at it, my friend is on the USS Secret Squirrel and I'd really like to surprise him at every single port they'll be visiting over the next 5 years, can anyone give me their schedule and maybe of a souvenir photo of the propulsion system?

Oh, and modern Götaland subs despite being diesel electric can submerge for much, much longer than older subs. I think those Swedish boats are pretty much the final word on stealthy attack submarines right now, since the US Navy sub fleet is more optimized for endurance.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 27, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Madurai posted:

Well, there's another movie I'm not going to able to see in the theater because I'd spend all my time yelling at the screen.

Down Periscope is a goddamn documentary.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What the range of those missiles tho

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The most accurate films about the military are the comedies.

I doubt it'd be a success, but I wish they'd make a movie that was a combination of Saving Private Ryan and Stripes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The most accurate films about the military are the comedies.

I doubt it'd be a success, but I wish they'd make a movie that was a combination of Saving Private Ryan and Stripes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mister Roberts is the best SWO movie ever made.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

joat mon posted:

lmbo

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

joat mon posted:

Diesel-electric, 2-3 days
AIP, 2-3 weeks

I was so confused by this for about 10 seconds. Bravo.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Down Periscope is a goddamn documentary.

No, I thought we were talking about this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9j6O1PF1Lk

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Madurai posted:

Someone's played a bit too much Cold Waters. :cripes:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Madurai posted:

Why do those SA-20s only tilt 45 degrees?

Why are they always playing active sonar sounds?

Why when they take a 20 down does it look like the cast is literally just bending their knees and trying to lean back without falling?

Why does a Virginia have an ASDS on its back?

Someone keep going

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mister Roberts is the best SWO movie ever made.

excuse me sir don't you dare disparage the cinematic masterpiece BATTLESHIP

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

M_Gargantua posted:

Why when they take a 20 down does it look like the cast is literally just bending their knees and trying to lean back without falling?

Someone keep going

"ship ready" is supposed to come after "solution ready" smdh can't even enjoy the movie now

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Someone keep going

The leaning scene is ultra-corny, but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGaEHd1QTuI

I half-expected to see the shark from "The Meg" make an appearance with a red star emblazoned on its side.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The leaning scene is ultra-corny, but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGaEHd1QTuI

I half-expected to see the shark from "The Meg" make an appearance with a red star emblazoned on its side.

Now imagine a 53 degree down angle.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cerekk posted:

excuse me sir don't you dare disparage the cinematic masterpiece BATTLESHIP

"We are gonna die. You're gonna die, I'm gonna die, we're all gonna die. Just not to..."

*16" battery explodes after not having been used for nearly three decades, aliens go :what: and succeed with taking over the planet*

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"We are gonna die. You're gonna die, I'm gonna die, we're all gonna die. Just not to..."

*16" battery explodes after not having been used for nearly three decades, aliens go :what: and succeed with taking over the planet*

Narrator: “and so, because of a weird gay love triangle, the Earth was lost.” *images of aliens throwing evidence overboard*

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Narrator: “and so, because of a weird gay love triangle, the Earth was lost.” *images of aliens throwing evidence overboard*

I was reading about this recently and 1. What a bizarre incident and 2. after hitting youtube I never, ever want to be near a gun breech that large.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ded posted:

Now I'm imagining the Global Force For Good tagline playing over some poor schlub scrubbing boot prints off the bulkhead.

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost

ded posted:

Jesus.

We took a 40ish degree down once. I was in maneuvering standing on the SPCP and I remember after "dive, dive" nobody said a goddamn word on the 1MC. We just hung there watching the shaft RPM meter go nuts for what felt like forever. The depth indicator had gone black and I was sure we were just mud-darting straight to the bottom. Eventually leveled out and found out one of the aft MBT vents hadn't opened. That was only the second time I thought I was about to die on a submarine.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Thank Christ surface ships just float when they break. I couldn’t imagine putting my life in the hands of the people in the surface fleet in the submariners have to trust each other.

Put my first ship crew on a sub and everyone would be loving dead in minutes. The only thing that would get done is the COs omelette because that was such a priority he whined about it on the duty radio.

I remember when I moved into the HM community, I felt like I was in bizarro Navy because everyone was so normal and reasonably competent at their job.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

scripterror posted:

Jesus.

We took a 40ish degree down once. I was in maneuvering standing on the SPCP and I remember after "dive, dive" nobody said a goddamn word on the 1MC. We just hung there watching the shaft RPM meter go nuts for what felt like forever. The depth indicator had gone black and I was sure we were just mud-darting straight to the bottom. Eventually leveled out and found out one of the aft MBT vents hadn't opened. That was only the second time I thought I was about to die on a submarine.

What was the first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

What was the first

shared berths after frank and beans night