Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Not sure this helps much, but just for another data point: I use this stuff to attach my radio handset to the dash of my Jeep. It doesn't get pulled off once or twice a week, but when I do go wheeling, it's on and off all day. It's been on there for 4+ years and hasn't shown the slightest sign of weakening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Major Isoor posted:

Oh wow, that's interesting - I didn't realize that was a thing! Hmm OK then, I might need to see if I can source some locally, perhaps. Since that sounds like it should certainly do the trick, assuming I can't find a GPS that comes with an adhesive mount to begin with.
(Also, do you have any idea on how long do those strips generally last, by the way? Assuming that it gets pulled off once or twice a week)

The velcro hooks are rated to pull apart and reattach something like 2000 times, and the adhesive will last for years as long as you alcohol the windshield and sand the plastic before you stick it on. The adhesive is rated to 200f so a hot summer day shouldn't do anything. I've used it pretty extensively over the last decade and it's extremely useful for securing things with cars/boats/walls.

I've never seen 3M Dual Lock in a hardware store or Home Depot though, you'd probably need to get it from Amazon/eBay.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
More of the Aussie dashcam channel. You should all subscribe so I can stop posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUoEWB0GgAw

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emePPPPTZFM

:argh:

At least it was a pretty light tap - for a moment I thought my foot had just slipped off the clutch (I normally sit in neutral, foot off the clutch, but if the light's about to change, I'm in 1st with the clutch on the floor.. just autopilot really). No real damage to speak of... couple of scratches on my bumper, couple of scratches on his. Both of our cars are beaters. I just glanced under to make sure nothing was obviously bent on mine, and made sure the trunk still opened/closed fine, told him not to worry about it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cartoon posted:

More of the Aussie dashcam channel. You should all subscribe so I can stop posting.

That ute going across the wrong side of the road and taking out the Focus was pretty nasty

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cartoon posted:

What the heck happened in the segment starting 6:25?
Someone had their car nicked and recovered the footage?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

~Coxy posted:

What the heck happened in the segment starting 6:25?
Someone had their car nicked and recovered the footage?
No. Was just drunk. The final crash was due to not taking the corner. Got 12 months in jail. Dashcam footage used in evidence.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-22/drunk-driver-dashcam-crashes-into-house/9788450

Obviously they are appealing the sentence :rolleyes:

My favourite is still the driving into the river one.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Cartoon posted:

No. Was just drunk. The final crash was due to not taking the corner. Got 12 months in jail. Dashcam footage used in evidence.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-22/drunk-driver-dashcam-crashes-into-house/9788450

Obviously they are appealing the sentence :rolleyes:

My favourite is still the driving into the river one.

Ahahaha what the gently caress, you can appeal a verdict you pled guilty to?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TheRagamuffin posted:

Ahahaha what the gently caress, you can appeal a verdict you pled guilty to?

I think he’s appealing the length of the sentence, not the verdict.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, this is a good place to park.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

New dash cam Australia up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emj53D8R2CM&t=34s

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I just bought my first dash cam and wondering what software people are using to edit their videos and whatever. I've never done any kind of video editing and have no clue.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

I just bought my first dash cam and wondering what software people are using to edit their videos and whatever. I've never done any kind of video editing and have no clue.

Windows Movie Maker.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

1m33 and 7m23 are both great.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Windows Movie Maker.

No longer available (from Microsoft) as of January 10, 2017, and was never released for Windows 10.

For Windows 10, Easy Movie Maker is pretty simple to just trim, stitch together, etc - it's in the Windows store, and free (has an ad here and there).

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

fknlo posted:

Avidemux is a good app to use, if you can spell the name right when trying to google it! :v: Free to use, no ads and it's also quite easy to get the hang of.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

STR posted:

No longer available (from Microsoft) as of January 10, 2017, and was never released for Windows 10.

For Windows 10, Easy Movie Maker is pretty simple to just trim, stitch together, etc - it's in the Windows store, and free (has an ad here and there).

Nah - https://www.techradar.com/how-to/windows-movie-maker-is-back-how-to-use-windows-10s-hidden-video-editor

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Much as I like WMM, it always choked on the video from my dashcam.

I believe the recording format is incompatible with it, though it just crashes, rather than giving a helpful error message.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mine works flawlessly to trim 1080p videos. It takes a minute or two to preload the file before you can edit it though.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Make sure to roll this back a bit and watch from the very beginning.

*bonk*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

If you can trick work into paying for it, I'd recommend After Effects.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Second time I've seen one of these obnoxious LED assholes on the road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvIC9Ewh_0g&hd=1

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

fknlo posted:

I use Adobe Premiere. I’ve gotten particularly adept at snipping out the one second of overlap when joining segments.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

LED sign thing...

There are any number of violations that driver could be cited for, but I am sure it varies by locality.

Here they could get cited for white lights to the rear, blue or red lights to the front, blue/red flashing lights (because it's constantly changing). Who knows, maybe other ordinances but I'm too lazy to search. Of course if it's somewhere like Vegas someone probably bribed some politician to make a loophole in the laws for that specific usage.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Second time I've seen one of these obnoxious LED assholes on the road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvIC9Ewh_0g&hd=1

Cripes. What happened to those rolling old billboard trucks? They had floodlights lighting them up, but at least they didn't blind people. Used to see them driving around all the time - they were kinda obnoxious at the time, but at least it was just a rolling sign.

Those loving LED signs (even on a pedestal or a building) are the bane of my existence when I'm driving at night, they're right up there with "lifted F-350 with lovely HID conversion". There's plenty of laws on the books about how bright they can be at night (along with flashing effects), but it seems most businesses give zero fucks about how bright/dazzling they are. I swear some business owners (especially car washes and quick lube places) are trying to give people seizures with the drat things.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 28, 2018

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

STR posted:

Cripes. What happened to those rolling old billboard trucks? They had floodlights lighting them up, but at least they didn't blind people. Used to see them driving around all the time - they were kinda obnoxious at the time, but at least it was just a rolling sign.

Those loving LED signs (even on a pedestal or a building) are the bane of my existence when I'm driving at night, they're right up there with "lifted F-350 with lovely HID conversion". There's plenty of laws on the books about how bright they can be at night (along with flashing effects), but it seems most businesses give zero fucks about how bright/dazzling they are. I swear some business owners (especially car washes and quick lube places) are trying to give people seizures with the drat things.

Someone needs to plow into it and then claim they couldn't see because their nightvision was destroyed. I saw on of these once around here and the thing kept displaying with a pure white background.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Hey, I get to contribute.
Agreed, I was going to be close on the light, but the oncoming guy was at the same point that I was. No harm, no foul... but stop lights aren't stop signs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hndMmx39R2c

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I mean, in the grand scheme of things I can at least figure out what you're doing.

I cannot for the life of me comprehend why someone would try to get a head start on a green light.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Agreed, I was going to be close on the light, but the oncoming guy was at the same point that I was. No harm, no foul... but stop lights aren't stop signs.

Close meaning you were going to run the red?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nah, that was pink.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sharkytm posted:

That dash cam would have been great evidence for the car you were about to slam into by running the light.
At 3 seconds you are probably 5 feet from the limit line and that light is red. The light was red for the on coming car as well. Yeah, he should have looked better, but you need to drive more carefully. Yellow means "stop if able" not "speed up to make it."

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

nm posted:

Yellow means "stop if able" not "speed up to make it."

I've actually started to adhere to this as I've gotten older, at least in traffic. It gives unprotected left turners a chance to actually complete their left turn, and it (hopefully) contributes to ending the arms race of "we must make the intersection completely red for 3 5 10 seconds to allow it to clear before we can go green in the other direction.

Edit: oops thought I was in the "people you share the road with" thread.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sharkytm posted:

This is what you call "close on the light?"

By stepping through it, I can tell that he started to move into the intersection as soon as your light turned yellow -- with the set-back stop line, it looks like he was timing it so that his nose would enter your lane at the moment he got the green. So yeah he jumped the gun but you were 100% in the wrong there. The collision would have taken place when his direction was green and yours was red, and the camera shows that you ran the light.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 12, 2018

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
In the still you just posted his light is still green and the guy is already almost in the crossing lane.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

fknlo posted:

In the still you just posted his light is still green and the guy is already almost in the crossing lane.

that light is red. it just turned yellow in the following:

in what world is this a situation where you should be hitting the gas?

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

fknlo posted:

Aren't vertical stop lights exclusively of the red-on-top variety?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Handiklap posted:

Can't speak for everyplace in the world, but everywhere I've driven (US, Mexico, Canada) the red is on the top, yes.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Handiklap posted:

You are completely right, it looks green as poo poo on my phone but it's clearly already red.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 12, 2018

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Yup, I was definitely in the wrong, but he moved long before his light turned green. Even with zero delay, he was moving when the light was still yellow on my side. Again, no harm, no foul, but he definitely was in the intersection when his light was red.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fknlo posted:

You are completely right, it looks green as poo poo on my phone but it's clearly already red.

The camera didn't capture the colors very well yes but i have literally never seen a stoplight with green on top. Even the sideways ones seem to be going out of fashion. Where do you live?

sharkytm posted:

Yup, I was definitely in the wrong, but he moved long before his light turned green. Even with zero delay, he was moving when the light was still yellow on my side. Again, no harm, no foul, but he definitely was in the intersection when his light was red.

So were you, so let's just agree that you're both terrible drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

The camera didn't capture the colors very well yes but i have literally never seen a stoplight with green on top. Even the sideways ones seem to be going out of fashion. Where do you live?

So were you, so let's just agree that you're both terrible drivers.

I'd prefer to word it we both made a mistake. If I did this regularly, then sure. My driving record says otherwise. Been driving 20 years, been in 1 at-fault accident when I was 19. One speeding ticket when I was 20, and nothing since then.