Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Hit me with all the sweet bestiaries available. I've got (or can access ;)):

Monster Manual
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

Is that all of them?

Yup, all the official ones. Tome of Beasts has cool 5e stuff if you want to go beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Firstborn posted:

You already kind of get that. Did you see the d&d one shot Mike Mearls ran with WWE's Big Show playing a Fire Giant Rogue?

Just wait until Vince Mcmahon sees that article. You'll have the XD&D before too long

(Also, where is your avatar from? It's great.)

I usually avoid Mearls related things but I'll look into this.

Thanks, it comes from :nws: :nws: here which i guess i gotta change now cause it looks like they're a jordan peterson fan

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

mango sentinel posted:

Maztica already exists in FR, they just did a dinosaur jungle, it's not as robust a setting as Ravnica, and they probably didn't want to dabble in another book retreading problematic stereotypes of real world cultures.

As an aside, is it possible to pull off a jungle-based setting without falling into the whole colonialist/imperialist trap such settings often do?

I'd imagine it's possible if you have the local civilization as being quite advanced, rather than the stereotypical "savage tribes". Letting the players play as natives to the setting may also alleviate this, as opposed to having them be outsiders swooping in to solve all their problems with the power of "civilization".

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Cat Face Joe posted:

I usually avoid Mearls related things but I'll look into this.

Thanks, it comes from :nws: :nws: here which i guess i gotta change now cause it looks like they're a jordan peterson fan

I don't blame you. I'm not a fan of Mearls, either, but this was a fun game. Check it out here

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Firstborn posted:

WWE's Big Show playing a Fire Giant Rogue?

I mean, under normal circumstances this would be a very :confused: moment. However, if there's anyone I could imagine knowing how agile big dudes can be, I would reckon the 7'+ guy who could moonsault would be the guy. Also appreciate the link; I'm gonna watch it when I get out of work tonight.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Wyvernil posted:

As an aside, is it possible to pull off a jungle-based setting without falling into the whole colonialist/imperialist trap such settings often do?

I'd imagine it's possible if you have the local civilization as being quite advanced, rather than the stereotypical "savage tribes". Letting the players play as natives to the setting may also alleviate this, as opposed to having them be outsiders swooping in to solve all their problems with the power of "civilization".

There's a great OSR module for this. It's explicitly anti-colonial. You play native residents of an island, and you raid the crypts of your oppressors.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Wyvernil posted:

You can keep the dangerous mystery of a jungle while having the local civilization be advanced either technologically or socially. There may be things that the local civilization is very accustomed to and knows how to deal with, but they require methods an outsider wouldn't think of; meanwhile, there's an external threat that the local civilization and the outsiders don't know how to manage, and they have to work together to resolve it somehow. I feel like aberrations are a pretty great resource for that kind of thing, since they're designed to be totally alien.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Wyvernil posted:

I don't think you have to make them "quite advanced" you just have to make them not significantly primitive and don't otherize/exoticize them. Also unless you are trying to interact specifically with themes of colonialism, don't have them under threat from an invading culture. You can be outsiders coming in to solve problem (that's like 90% of adventures) but don't have the solution be related to "ah, we solved this because of our different cultural frame of reference and saw a solution they never could have!"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
this thread: puzzles are bad, unless the the puzzle is 4e grid combat

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mango sentinel posted:

I don't think you have to make them "quite advanced" you just have to make them not significantly primitive and don't otherize/exoticize them.
Yeah, the pseudo-medieval setting that is default D&D isn't exactly advanced either. Something of that level (equivalent, not identical)but in a jungle would be perfectly fine.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Wyvernil posted:

Ryan Coogler's Black Panther came out within a year of 5e's Tomb of Annihilation.

It's not the jungle thats racist. It's the fact that D&D settings have some really racist origins like Darkest Africa, Old Hollywood Horror G*psies, etc, that the writers never really question.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Monster Manual
Volo's Guide to Monsters

Is that all of them?

http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Leonaru

He updated a ton of critters for 5e. Heck I referred to him when I did my Saurial book. :)

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/234150/Monsters-of-the-Guild
A bunch of dm guild people got together and compiled their monsters here.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Monster Manual
Volo's Guide to Monsters

Is that all of them?

Check out the recently-delivered Faeire Fire kickstarter book if you want Fey-related things (with a 80s discotheque aesthetic). I backed it and now that the digital version is in my hands my campaign is rapidly taking on a Blood Dragon neon motif because why the hell not.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If not for the fact that I absolutely know, 100%, that Mearls would gently caress it up in an infuriating and insulting fashion, I'd really want them to do a source book that was basically modeled after the Golden Age for the Maya and/or Aztecs.

Edit: Also, in watching the Jocks Machina video linked up thread, is it just me or has Mearls aged poorly into an even more punchable face than what he already had?

Dameius fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 26, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I want an incomprehensible DMT dream universe campaign setting.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

New rules for AL: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/changes-dd-adventurers-league-rewards

Across my characters I have three items on the list of things being removed from play. I like the idea behind milestone leveling by time played but the treasure rules sound like a clusterfuck.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Adventuerers League sounds like a great way to ruin a fun game by drowning it in rules

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Toebone posted:

Adventuerers League sounds like a great way to ruin a fun game by drowning it in rules

D&D was really lacking another layer of rules to clunkily interact with the clusterfuck of extant rules.

I’m glad I found my current group through AL but this sounds like way too much :effort:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
using the new adventurer's league app, you will mine Lootcoins that can be used to purchase gear through the new character management system, Rollchain

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Kaysette posted:

D&D was really lacking another layer of rules to clunkily interact with the clusterfuck of extant rules.

I’m glad I found my current group through AL but this sounds like way too much :effort:

Where did you go for that btw?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

mormonpartyboat posted:

using the new adventurer's league app, you will mine Lootcoins that can be used to purchase gear through the new character management system, Rollchain

*anime guy meme* “Is this eSports?”

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Novum posted:

Where did you go for that btw?

Knight Moves in Brookline, right on Beacon St near Coolidge Corner.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tote up a bags posted:

100 of you land on an island. Everyone roll initiative.

The penny arcade guys did that in a live session, it looked quite fun: basically a speed hex crawl with random loot in each zone.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Toebone posted:

Adventurer's League is for people who can't find a group of friends to play with, and those folks deserve to play D&D too.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

mango sentinel posted:

and those folks deserve to play D&D too.

harsh

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So I got invited to a level 4 or 5ish game.
party comp:
- bard
- "A knife thrower." (I assume this is a Fighter.)
- paladin
- cleric
- (maybe warlock)

What should I make?

Gimmick options:
- TWF barbarian
- War Cleric archer
- STR rogue (probably dwarf)
- halfling :trollface:
- dual class Monk
- some combination of the above

e: Also, is it just me, or does Rogue always beg to be mixed with [anything that gets Extra Attack]? I realize that you only get Sneak Attack damage once per turn, but rogues just need something to do. You can't even really do TWF, because then you're missing out on Cunning Action.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 27, 2018

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
make a tortle strength monk / barbarian

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gnome death metal illusionist, talks like Batman

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Who here is going to be at Gen Con?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I want an incomprehensible DMT dream universe campaign setting.

"machine elves? even more elf subraces? gently caress this"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Toebone posted:

Adventurer's League is supposed to be a way for people who can't find a consistent group to still be able to play D&D. In order to make this work, you need to try to make every table adjudicate rules consistently ... which means implementing more rules period to begin with.

It does sacrifice the "free-form-ness" of the game, but it's a necessary trade-off if you want to create the conditions by which people don't get wildly different experiences depending on which DM they happened to play with on any given week.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It simply highlights how malformed and inconsistent 5e is in its default state.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Conspiratiorist posted:

Seems alright to me so far :unsmith:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm currently running Tortle Barb with Path of the Ancestral Guardian and I'm coming up on level 4 and I can't see myself taking a feat over ASI, I'm torn, though between Str and Con, though. I feel like my Path really wants me to keep my to-hit up, which means Str, but that gets a bit better with the extra attack at level 5, so maybe shore up my Con (only 14, now). Any suggestions?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Conspiratiorist posted:

What games would have perfect continuity and the same vibe across different groups and DMs?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Toshimo posted:

I'm currently running Tortle Barb with Path of the Ancestral Guardian and I'm coming up on level 4 and I can't see myself taking a feat over ASI, I'm torn, though between Str and Con, though. I feel like my Path really wants me to keep my to-hit up, which means Str, but that gets a bit better with the extra attack at level 5, so maybe shore up my Con (only 14, now). Any suggestions?
Strength. The faster they die the less damage you take. Also since you're a tortal barb you don't need/get the con bonus to AC.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How many actual Beasts does Tome of Beasts have? I'm looking for more druid options, but I can't tell from the preview if there are many that are appropriate for such use.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Novum posted:

What games would have perfect continuity and the same vibe across different groups and DMs?

This isn't exactly what you were asking for, but in the D&D 3e era, the only Organized Play rule changes were:

* you had to use point-buy
* your alignment had to be non-evil
* you had max HP at level 1
* you could not take crafting skills
* you could not buy masterwork or magical items during level 1 character creation

in the D&D 4e era, there weren't any significant rules changes at all for organized play

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Subjunctive posted:

How many actual Beasts does Tome of Beasts have? I'm looking for more druid options, but I can't tell from the preview if there are many that are appropriate for such use.

Not a ton, but some:

https://aversten.obsidianportal.com/wiki_pages/tome-of-beasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gradenko_2000 posted:

This isn't exactly what you were asking for, but in the D&D 3e era, the only Organized Play rule changes were:

* you had to use point-buy
* your alignment had to be non-evil
* you had max HP at level 1
* you could not take crafting skills
* you could not buy masterwork or magical items during level 1 character creation

in the D&D 4e era, there weren't any significant rules changes at all for organized play

It's very telling that neither of those were 1/10th as popular as AL.