Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm having an issue not being able to find my starter ship. I discovered a broken down ship on the second planet that I landed on. I parked my starter ship near it and made the broken down ship my primary by getting inside. When I restarted the game my starter ship is nowhere to be found. I tried summoning it but it tells me it can't land no matter where I am. I can't use the broken ship since it requires a seal to fix the engines. Is there a way to locate my original ship or fix the broken one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'm having an issue not being able to find my starter ship. I discovered a broken down ship on the second planet that I landed on. I parked my starter ship near it and made the broken down ship my primary by getting inside. When I restarted the game my starter ship is nowhere to be found. I tried summoning it but it tells me it can't land no matter where I am. I can't use the broken ship since it requires a seal to fix the engines. Is there a way to locate my original ship or fix the broken one?

Without that quest for the Hermetic Seals, you could get a friend to bring you a hermetic seal from a trader or station...? I had a similar problem and now keep spares around.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

clone on the phone posted:

Interact with the base computer and select delete base. You might need to pick up everything else first because that’s what I did and it worked for me.
That's the trick, thank you. Derp.

So uhhh I found something that breaks the gameplay a little bit and knowing Hello Games and their ability to fix the super duper corner case bugs that I always manage to find... this one won't get fixed any time soon, if ever.

You are limited to owning 6 ships. Upon owning 5 ships, while you are inside your freighter, NPC ships will not land in your freighter. If you leave your freighter with a ship, an NPC ship will land in your freighter, but that's the only ship you'll be able to trade with until it leaves, and you leave, and allow another slot for an NPC ship. If you own 6 ships, you will never get an NPC landing in your freighter because 6 slots (out of 9, yes, I know) will be taken up and NPCs don't land in freighters with 6 parking slots filled up. "So what?" you may ask. Well, the repercussions are thus:
1 - You can't easily crashed ships to your collection anymore. So the really awesome feature of "I'll fix this up later" is a bit harder than normal. While I was writing this post, I thought it was actually impossible to do anymore but it turns out you have to summon the ship you want to trade out, exchange it with the broken ship, and then summon another ship in order to get back into space. Mostly just an annoyance.
2 - You'll always have NPCs swirling around your freighter. I dunno, minor annoyance at most.
3 - Your freighter is basically useless as a trading post. I think this sucks pretty hard.

All they need to do is allow those last 3 slots to be landed on by NPCs. Shouldn't be a difficult fix but I bet it's as low on their priority list as adding keybinds for quick menu navigation. AKA: It's in the "never" bin.

Haha I left my game on while posting and someone came in wondering wtf I was doing with 6 ships just idling in my freighter. I told him what I was doing and mentioned the word "stupid" and... welp... the word stupid is turned into ****** due to chat filtering. Nicely done Hello Games.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Other words that get filtered include got and closer.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Have another bug report. Build base computer. Claim land. Build a second base computer next to the first one. Discover inability to destroy/pick-up second base computer. Talk to it and the only button is "leave" but no "remove base." Go to the first base computer and choose "destroy base." Marvel at both base computers disappearing (along with whatever base you may have built, including nearby portable devices) and your wasted 80 chromatic. *groan* Edit: Actually I got the ability to build a "previous base storage" container and it seems like the broken down elements of what you built are all in there. So, that's nice.
Edit 2: Nope, they aren't all there. Can't rebuild the portal that was eaten up in the destruction. Blargh!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 27, 2018

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

DaveKap posted:

Have another bug report. Build base computer. Claim land. Build a second base computer next to the first one. Discover inability to destroy/pick-up second base computer. Talk to it and the only button is "leave" but no "remove base." Go to the first base computer and choose "destroy base." Marvel at both base computers disappearing (along with whatever base you may have built) and your wasted 80 chromatic. *groan*

Hello Games needs to hire you as a play tester. You're like a bug magnet.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Waffle House posted:

Without that quest for the Hermetic Seals, you could get a friend to bring you a hermetic seal from a trader or station...? I had a similar problem and now keep spares around.

I just started and have no idea how I would go about doing that or know anyone playing the game. Is there any way to get my original ship back?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So what actually happens if you jump off into space from your freighter? Can you fall into atmosphere?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

precision posted:

So what actually happens if you jump off into space from your freighter? Can you fall into atmosphere?
You definitely fall... and die pretty quickly because of space coldness or something.

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Hello Games needs to hire you as a play tester. You're like a bug magnet.
I'm currently of the opinion that only 12 people test this game and they're all sick of doing it.

Also frigates are bugged like crazy. Mine keeps saying it's broken but when I land, there's nothing to fix. I'm super curious how to get more missions to send it on, too, as completing a mission just leaves it greyed out and the other 3 missions don't match the ship's specialty at all. :(

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 27, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Get back in the ship, everything's on a cob!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Acquire freighter. Make Warp Cell. Fuel up freighter's warp drive. Can't warp. Cool!

Goddamn it's like this game actively doesn't want me to play it.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Powershift posted:

Get back in the ship, everything's on a cob!

Wow that's really cool looking. All the planets in my starting system are boring poopy planets. I'm about to blow this joint.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Wow that's really cool looking. All the planets in my starting system are boring poopy planets. I'm about to blow this joint.
There are a few planets that are designed by hand specifically for the main campaign. I don't think/know if you can ever actually "just happen to find" them. These were all added in patch 3 and you couldn't summon your ship when you were at them, suggesting that they aren't in our dimension. I hope I'm wrong about that now, though!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DaveKap posted:

There are a few planets that are designed by hand specifically for the main campaign. I don't think/know if you can ever actually "just happen to find" them. These were all added in patch 3 and you couldn't summon your ship when you were at them, suggesting that they aren't in our dimension. I hope I'm wrong about that now, though!

This was just a weird rear end planet in a regular green system.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

That's how "Erased" or "Deserted" planets all look. I think they usually appear in Blue Stars.

I finally found a paradise planet to build my log cabin on. I think I'll actually progress the Artemis storyline too. Oh and the Freighter Mission thing is really neat, the log of the adventures your guys had is really neat.

I just wish Hello Games would realize that inventory management in a game like this is stupid and your suit should always be able to carry infinite amounts of all "base" materials like Copper, Ferrite, etc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just got hit by the issue that put my story mission destination halfway across the galaxy after a co-op session, but then I discovered that on the log screen there's a button to reposition an unreachable mission into your local system. So that's nice of them to add.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Deep, Polo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of money I found a nice system with good looking Haulers similars to what my original playthrough ships looked like and I'd like to make a few million to buy one. Time to go hunt for scanners and poo poo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
*about 30 minutes later*

Okay NOW I can continue the main story

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It seems like NOW they've implemented something that makes things get more "interesting" the closer you get to the center. At least, that's how the vendors appear to work.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I also have the bug where my Freighter is full of fuel but can't jump.

I also died loading in because my save was on Polo's ship sphere thing and when you die you loving lose everything on your body which is cool, even poo poo which could be character bound like an Atlas Pass.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

For everyone who is playing for the first time since launch or at least since Patch 2, take note in Artemis's quest and what the writing for it is like near the beginning... then think back to the days of launch when people were trying to meet each other to see how multiplayer in the game worked. It paints the story with a really sardonic brush.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I can't figure out how to make Antimatter Housing and Antimatter.

I'm on the tutorial mission of "Craft Warp Cell". I can see in my inventory slots a greyed out Warp Cell as an option to craft, which says I need an Antimatter Housing and Antimatter. In the quest it tells me the components needed (Oxygen + Ferrite Dust, and Condensed Carbon + Chromatic Metal). I have stacks of 100+ of each of those. Despite that, there is no option to craft either Antimatter Housings or Antimatter when I click on my inventory slots.

Am I doing something wrong here? I don't see any quest markers to head to. No one at the station in system gave anything to me. I feel like I missed a step, but I've just been following each quest. I haven't even left my starting system.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DaveKap posted:

For everyone who is playing for the first time since launch or at least since Patch 2, take note in Artemis's quest and what the writing for it is like near the beginning... then think back to the days of launch when people were trying to meet each other to see how multiplayer in the game worked. It paints the story with a really sardonic brush.

Didn’t it happen that literally the day after release two people were on the same planet and discovered that there was no multiplayer component whatsoever

Also man I haven’t found my free freighter yet but I did find an exotic ship that has these fins that deploy to make it all long vertically and then slide into little lateral wings when landing. Super fast but has an rear end amount of cargo and technology slots

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I just started and have no idea how I would go about doing that or know anyone playing the game. Is there any way to get my original ship back?

Uhhh. I'm not sure whether to say, "it's gone", or "currently in an invisible parking garage until you get a freighter, later."

If you're on Steam, I can add you and drop some by...?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Didn’t it happen that literally the day after release two people were on the same planet and discovered that there was no multiplayer component whatsoever
I think they figured out they were near each other because of streaming and decided to head towards the same spot. Pretty sure them not seeing each other was broadcasted to Twitch.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
had the ps4 version crash on me this evening while i was just standing still in a space station (looking things up on the wiki on my laptop). lol

Is this Scanner (S) module or whatever it's called just random? Do more expensive modules get more common in the shop as you get closer to the center?

emdash fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 27, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I'm hitting an annoying bug where my freighter is full of warp fuel but I can't jump it because it insists that it has no fuel. I can get around it by warping my ship and telling the freighter to come over but that is wasteful fuel-wise because the freighter seems to be better at jumping and uses less fuel.

I'm doing OK on money now and I got a cheap exotic ship, although it has hardly any slots so it's just for looks. Need to get a better multitool. Is there a reliable way to find A-class or better high-slot multitools anywhere? I'm either finding C class ones with decent amount of slots or A class ones with 5 slots. I have a A with 10 right now and I don't want to give up that mining bonus. 10 is too little though :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm hitting an annoying bug where my freighter is full of warp fuel but I can't jump it because it insists that it has no fuel. I can get around it by warping my ship and telling the freighter to come over but that is wasteful fuel-wise because the freighter seems to be better at jumping and uses less fuel.

I'm doing OK on money now and I got a cheap exotic ship, although it has hardly any slots so it's just for looks. Need to get a better multitool. Is there a reliable way to find A-class or better high-slot multitools anywhere? I'm either finding C class ones with decent amount of slots or A class ones with 5 slots. I have a A with 10 right now and I don't want to give up that mining bonus. 10 is too little though :(

I may be wrong here, but what the game offers you is what you have plus a certain amount, so say it's +5 or whatever, if you have 10 slots, it will only offer as high as 15, if you have 13 it will only offer as high as 18 and so on, so you have to get up to 24 slots in steps.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm streaming tonight!

https://www.twitch.tv/aquariumtrees

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Powershift posted:

I may be wrong here, but what the game offers you is what you have plus a certain amount, so say it's +5 or whatever, if you have 10 slots, it will only offer as high as 15, if you have 13 it will only offer as high as 18 and so on, so you have to get up to 24 slots in steps.

I went from my starting multitool to one with like 20 slots, after only discovering two or three systems. What gets offered seems to be fairly random.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

am i doing anything wrong by basically turning little outposts/trade outposts into my bases as i make my way through

seems p decent to be able to just slap down a computer, build a teleporter, then have instant access to shelter, traders, rotating multi-tool stock, and a launchpad

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How do I stop the game from pausing if the window loses focus? My chill space flight is less chill when I can't dick around in another window for a minute and a half between planets :saddowns:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

When are you supposed to get offered a free multi-tool? I think I missed it. not like it matters since I bought a better one and now have two scanner modules on it (one S) so I'm not looking to replace it just yet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This game is so confusing but it's so pretty too

Here's where I'm putting my first base, I'm done fuckin with freighters until bugs get fixed

I really really enjoy this game even if some of the bugs, design and controls are unbelievably annoying :3:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Vy'Keer sometimes will want to see your multitool. They would replace with a broken down one that has a much larger amount of slots.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

incogneato posted:

I can't figure out how to make Antimatter Housing and Antimatter.

I'm on the tutorial mission of "Craft Warp Cell". I can see in my inventory slots a greyed out Warp Cell as an option to craft, which says I need an Antimatter Housing and Antimatter. In the quest it tells me the components needed (Oxygen + Ferrite Dust, and Condensed Carbon + Chromatic Metal). I have stacks of 100+ of each of those. Despite that, there is no option to craft either Antimatter Housings or Antimatter when I click on my inventory slots.

Am I doing something wrong here? I don't see any quest markers to head to. No one at the station in system gave anything to me. I feel like I missed a step, but I've just been following each quest. I haven't even left my starting system.

There's a mission that sends you to a signal coming from a planet where you find some antimatter. If you're on a planet try flying to space to see if you get a prompt for a signal to follow. I don't think you'll get it on the surface of a planet.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So, general consensus is start the gently caress over from scratch even if you had a launch save with maxed out suit/tool/ship space? Well, that works for me, the base building quest line broke for me and I never drummed up enough money for a freighter so what's the worst that could happen? 350° hellworld full of sentinels? Toxic helldump for planet 2?

It does sound like they really put some effort into this, and while it sounds like they doubled down on crafting steps I've been wanting something I can switch my brain off and just explore in.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Black and White Planet, with selective color highlighting? Well, I guess this planet has gone to "art" school.

Seriously is this some sort of shader bug? How does a planet being in black and white make sense? Especially when some parts of the interface are in color and others aren't, and tools give off colored light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

This changed in major patch 1 or 2, can't remember which.

Got a new super weird bug! I used the teleporter on a station and after confirming the teleport... it brought up a fully interactive... fleet management menu. To keep the game from crashing I escaped out of it quickly but boy oh boy what loving wires got crossed for THAT to happen!