Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

JehovahsWetness posted:

It was a shitload of miscellaneous boxes in a storage locker that was abandoned after he died and nobody paid the bill. Calling it his "personal collection" is stretching it. There was some tapes and personal poo poo in there, but it was largely detritus that got moved when his basement flooded. (Not knocking Dilla's mom, she was definitely in a lovely position, but it was largely hype as far as considering it as a personal/curated collection.)

I wonder if those were the records from the storage unit they showed in his Crate Diggers episode. I don't have any issues with them calling it part of his personal collection, would just be really cool to have a piece of that history, however small.

I'm not sure if those Dilla records came as a pair or individual, but if Paul ReiserFS is ok with it, I would be cool with picking up the Phyllis Hyman record and letting the next goon grab the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Finally back from Chicago visiting friends and giving myself an excuse to see This is not This Heat play the Pitchfork festival. Turns out they were doing a meet and greet over at the record fair! Told Hayward my favorite album of his was Camberwell Now's The Ghost Trade. His response was "Oh, we drove ourselves up the loving wall recording that one!":

100 of these variants were made exclusive to the festival.

Also managed to track down:

Joyful Noise lists this version as OOP already on their website but apparently the shipped a stack of 'em out to record stores.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

caligulamprey posted:

Finally back from Chicago visiting friends and giving myself an excuse to see This is not This Heat play the Pitchfork festival.

I went all three days and the worst scheduling conflict (to me) was them playing opposite of Blood Orange. I was going to stay for half the Blood Orange set and go see TINTH but Blood Orange was fantastic so I stayed for their whole set. Did you go to any of our record stores while you were here?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Barry posted:

Did you go to any of our record stores while you were here?
I ended up staying within walking distance of Sugah (where I picked up that OY record) and Reckless (snagged an Avey Tare Eucalyptus for a friend) in-between Pequod's and hanging out at the Museum of Surgical Science. Had a loving blast, but goddamn I guarantee you no matter where I was, I was definitely the sweatiest person in the room.

OH YEAH. Grabbed a slipmat from Sugah, too!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Nice. Sugah is a good spot but their pricing is all over the map. Reckless is my general goto - consistently fair pricing and tons of inventory. They have a bunch of stores that are all easily accessible for me and will ship things from one store to the other to make it even easier. Glad you had some Pequod's, they're my favorite pizza place.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Finally, I can learn how to talk to wolves in Morse code.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Someone mentioned this last week I think it was but I just got this email

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

boop the snoot posted:

Someone mentioned this last week I think it was but I just got this email

Yah i just came to post this, picked up a copy since I don't have Illmatic yet on vinyl.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Boinks posted:

Finally, I can learn how to talk to wolves in Morse code.

records are your best entertainment value!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
My latest acquisition is better than your latest acquisition.

https://streamable.com/57cuv

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
oh my god

edit: it has four sides :confuoot:

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 26, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

:captainpop:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I know it’s not as much a hot ticket item as it was a year back, but the Vinyl Me Please pressing of Demon Days is back in stock and is a swappable option if you’re a subscriber.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ballz posted:

I know it’s not as much a hot ticket item as it was a year back, but the Vinyl Me Please pressing of Demon Days is back in stock and is a swappable option if you’re a subscriber.

Man if I didn't have a copy of Demon Days already, I would do this in a heartbeat. VMP announced the records for this month:

I think I am going to swap this month's record with Clipse's "Lord Willin", I loving love that album.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I actually bought a regular edition a month or so back but haven’t opened it. Just found out a coworker has wanted a copy for ages so I’m gonna sell it to her for 20 bucks and grab that VMP edition.

There’s suddenly a glut of stuff I want from VMP. It’s gonna be tough trying not to spend a ton of money every month on top of my subscription.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrSargent posted:

Man if I didn't have a copy of Demon Days already, I would do this in a heartbeat. VMP announced the records for this month:

I think I am going to swap this month's record with Clipse's "Lord Willin", I loving love that album.

A heads up. If you go to the VMP forums the releases are often guessed in advance giving you more time to listen an decide. Every once in a while you get bonus meltdowns if stuff isn't perfect or mis represented.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ballz posted:

I actually bought a regular edition a month or so back but haven’t opened it. Just found out a coworker has wanted a copy for ages so I’m gonna sell it to her for 20 bucks and grab that VMP edition.

There’s suddenly a glut of stuff I want from VMP. It’s gonna be tough trying not to spend a ton of money every month on top of my subscription.

Man, same here. There are at least 3-4 albums on the swap list that I really want and I already have D'Angelo's Brown Sugar coming in addition to the August record I end up choosing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That Billy Squier hand job song is on there for some reason. I guess that's one way to sell candy.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

sporklift posted:

A heads up. If you go to the VMP forums the releases are often guessed in advance giving you more time to listen an decide. Every once in a while you get bonus meltdowns if stuff isn't perfect or mis represented.

Yeah, Mitski was pretty much figured out after two days. The meltdowns are great too, right now they’re arguing over what it means to be “essential.”

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Ballz posted:

Yeah, Mitski was pretty much figured out after two days. The meltdowns are great too, right now they’re arguing over what it means to be “essential.”

man I hope some day they do a video game OST I bet that will be full of really well informed opinions about what music for modern video games is like.

BLEEPIN AND A BLOOPIN

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

caligulamprey posted:

I ended up staying within walking distance of Sugah (where I picked up that OY record) and Reckless (snagged an Avey Tare Eucalyptus for a friend) in-between Pequod's and hanging out at the Museum of Surgical Science. Had a loving blast, but goddamn I guarantee you no matter where I was, I was definitely the sweatiest person in the room.

OH YEAH. Grabbed a slipmat from Sugah, too!

Did you stay at the Robey or something? I live right around there. If you didn't go to Joyride (20ish minute walk from there) you missed a good'un.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Hoping someone has an idea of what might be wrong with my AT LP120. My wife was listening to some records while I was at work and messaged me that all of a sudden she was getting no sound from the turntable. When I got home, I noticed the headshell was coming off the tonearm, so I screwed it back in, re-balanced it, and now I can hear music, but it seems like it is coming out REALLY quiet and its skipping on records that shouldn't skip at all. The volume is low to the point where I have to push the fader all the way up on my mixer to get decent volume. I am on the Phono setting, but have my mixer set to receive a phono input and have always had it like that. Any ideas what could cause the really low volume and skipping?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ok, so I was trying to rebalance it again and noticed something odd that could be the issue. When I am balancing the tone-arm over the platter, it pulls hard to the outside of the platter and doesn't come to a rest unless it's touching the guard at the rest position. I don't know if this is an issue, but it seems like that could cause issues with the stylus riding the grooves. Send help.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Seems like a vexing problem amongst ATs and Technics, alike

Make sure it’s level, and lower your anti-skate?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

pwn posted:

Seems like a vexing problem amongst ATs and Technics, alike

Make sure it’s level, and lower your anti-skate?

Anti-Skate is at 0 and its level. I don't understand how it could just start doing this after working perfect for a year. I literally replaced the stylus a few months ago and it didn't have this issue. This is very sad.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Check the little wires between the cartridge and shellhead to make sure nothing is loose.

The counter weight could also be off which would make the needle too light and cause skipping \ faint playback. Dial your anti skate to 0 and rebalance the tone arm. Once you get it balanced, reset the tracking force to 2 grams (assuming you are using the stock cartridge) and dial your anti skate back to 2.

The anti skate on the 120's is notoriously borked in that it is unable to produce enough anti skating force. Yours, however, seems to be working as it's forcing the tone arm back to the resting post. You just need to set it back to 0 initially so that you can get the tone arm rebalanced correctly.

You can test your anti skate afterwards by listening for sibilance and distortion in each channel. Distortion in the left channel would mean too much anti skate. Distortion in the right means not enough. If you hear distortion in both then realign your cartridge and all start over again.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I adjusted the legs a bit and reconnected the headshell and it doesn't seem to pull to the outside anymore. But I am still having the same issues. I guess the only thing left to check is putting the old stylus back on. That's a pain in the rear end but I don't see any other options.

Edit: Thanks a lot for the suggestions, the pull seems to be gone, but the audio is still hosed up. Very quiet and it skips pretty frequently. Could that be an issue with the stylus?

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 27, 2018

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

When the headshell was loose the stylus could have broken. It's not necessarily something you could see with the naked eye.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Boinks posted:

When the headshell was loose the stylus could have broken. It's not necessarily something you could see with the naked eye.

I wish there was some way to easily diagnose the problem. I am going to call my local record store when they open to see if they have any Red 2M's in stock to just get something that works. But I am wondering if there is something more durable that I could get. I have been looking at the DJ-style contour models but don't know much about them.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Because I know all of you were on the edge of your seat waiting for an update, I replaced the cartridge/stylus and that fixed the problem. It must have broke when it came loose from the tonearm. At least it wasn't something worse.

Edit: I got my TTL red copy of Illmatic today which was awesome considering I ordered it Wednesday with standard shipping. Also got an e-mail that my ye vinyl got shipped today which means KSG and Daytona should be around the corner as well. Gonna be a good few weeks of mail.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 27, 2018

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I use a rusty thumbtack scotch taped to a paper cone to get the purest analog experience.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I went to the swap meet near my house really early this morning hoping to find some good records. Last weekend, a woman who had some pretty great stuff said she was going to have "the really good stuff" this weekend. She did not have the really good stuff this weekend and didn't have much more than the leftovers from the weekend before. That was disappointing, so I decided to hit up my local record store chain to see if they had anything interesting. I only ended up getting one record, but it was a near mint copy of this guy which made up for everything else.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I took a trip to Denver this weekend and stopped by a record store. It really makes me wish I lived in a big town. I think the nearest record store is 100 miles away from me.

Anyway, I picked up a couple records I've been looking for forever. $7 for the two:

I've never read up on the history of Scandal, but it seems crazy that their whole output was only one EP and one LP. Not even a failed followup album after that. I assume Patty Smyth just went on to other things soon after.

And my Chromatics package arrived today, finally:

Not pictured is the extras they sent: two posters, two glossy 4x6 color photographs, and a couple CDs from Johnny Jewel and some other artist.

The Chromatics records look and sound great! Not bad for ~$37 shipped. Highly recommended.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chromatics records are always worth it but I can't help but notice that out of all my LPs they build up the greatest static charge during play by a wide margin. Something about that clear vinyl I guess.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

wa27 posted:

I took a trip to Denver this weekend and stopped by a record store. It really makes me wish I lived in a big town. I think the nearest record store is 100 miles away from me.

Anyway, I picked up a couple records I've been looking for forever. $7 for the two:

I've never read up on the history of Scandal, but it seems crazy that their whole output was only one EP and one LP. Not even a failed followup album after that. I assume Patty Smyth just went on to other things soon after.

And my Chromatics package arrived today, finally:

Not pictured is the extras they sent: two posters, two glossy 4x6 color photographs, and a couple CDs from Johnny Jewel and some other artist.

The Chromatics records look and sound great! Not bad for ~$37 shipped. Highly recommended.

Well those are beautiful... still strange to me how well they're doing for themselves. When they were first starting out Ruth was a server at this bar in town that we went to all the time. Awesome they're able to keep doing what they love (making music presumably, not working at restaurants)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I'm kind of amazed at the quantities they sell. a lot of their albums are pressed in runs of 15000 according to discogs and get multiple pressings

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Chromatics was one of the main 3-4 artists on the Drive soundtrack, which is pretty much the basis for the entire synthwave movement.

On top of that, they were one of the best acts on the new season of Twin Peaks. So yeah, it makes sense why they're doing well.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Big thanks to CPL593H for making me aware that Joyful Noise is doing a dope VIP package of Tropical gently caress Storm's A Laughing Death In Meatspace. 25 bucks, and that includes the monthly 5 dollar membership that you can cancel immediately afterward.

https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/collections/tropical-gently caress-storm/products/a-laughing-death-in-meatspace

It's good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eBnMYjYWYE

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Don't speak of our love to these people. It's too pure for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Fresh pick ups: