Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I actually had an awesome arty player the other night.
We were on Redshire and I had my T29 from the north spawn. Only the O-i experimental came with me but a Bishop set up behind us. After wasting a T-34-85 that didn't have the brains to move after he'd bounced every shot and I was mauling him their O-i showed up and proceeded to dump his derps into the harmles O-i exp that didn't know how to hurt him which let me swing around and take the O-i apart. Up runs an M4 and tries to circle me but I backed into the rocks and as he went around the back side the Bishop one shotted him. A quick thanks and I went arty hunting and started popping their team in the mid map from behind. My team unfortunately were melting away the whole time till I could be focused down.
Got a high caliber but man it pissed me off to watch 2500 damage amount to jack poo poo because my team was a bunch of morons. 5 of the team did absolutely nothing including the O-i exp except being a bullet sponge. I quit at that point because I knew I'd have a stroke dealing with more of that bullshit

JuffoWup posted:

Team failing? Just drown yourself, game won't penalize you. If in arty, run up to a solid wall and point blank it. Should only take two shots in splash damage to kill you.

I just try to find an incline and flip myself when water isn't near by. I've heard people bitch it's not right because it takes away damage from the other team because they "earned it". gently caress that, I'll go out on my own terms when my team shits their pants rather than wait to be executed by some smug rear end in a top hat

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

Hellsau posted:

3 months clean

something something always come back

i had tried 5 battles of ranked lastnight needless to say i uninstalled after that time to get another 2 month coin

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Turmoilx posted:

i had tried 5 battles of ranked lastnight needless to say i uninstalled after that time to get another 2 month coin

Wow, you mean Wargaming suddenly didn't make Ranked Battles fun and interesting to play? Weird.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lower tiers.jpg

Also I guess people have stopped playing this so much because I finally got the M

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Made the mistake of trying to 100% MOE the T21 and woof have I never been this tilted at WOT. You basically need 5ish consecutive 2.5k combined games to go from 97.5 to 100 and Serb help you if a corridor map pops up in the rotation.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

serious gaylord posted:

Also I guess people have stopped playing this so much because I finally got the M

Jesus, that's all it takes? People dropped that bitch like a hot potato. Either that or scores of people are stupid inept and die before getting a shot off.
That's almost as sad as watching sponsors youtube a new tank being released and tout "Of course I earned mastery" because no one's played the thing yet

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/announcements/preferential-matchmaking-0718/

Hey guys, wargaming actually heard all the rage and decided to leave pref tanks alone! Well, small little buffs, but they won't be losing their pref mm status.

Instead, they've realized what everyone had been telling them for a long time. The mm is not looking to ensure there is more balance between the spread for 3/5/7 template. They are saying 6 months to get it to check against it. Apparently they've realized that people were spending 80% of their time at bottom tier which was both slowing progression and also killing enjoyment.

Edit: Also in the world of comedy, the clownshoe is getting a pen buff of the standard shell from 198 to 204mm. I see no comment of the t32 and t29 getting that shell. Also, the 90mm on the super pershing is getting a pen buff on the standard shell from 192 to 202. Nothing mentioned about that 90mm used on a large swath of midtier american tanks. From the hellcat/jackson up to the pershing and t32.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 26, 2018

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

JuffoWup posted:

Edit: Also in the world of comedy, the clownshoe is getting a pen buff of the standard shell from 198 to 204mm. I see no comment of the t32 and t29 getting that shell. Also, the 90mm on the super pershing is getting a pen buff on the standard shell from 192 to 202. Nothing mentioned about that 90mm used on a large swath of midtier american tanks. From the hellcat/jackson up to the pershing and t32.

wargaming.txt

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

JuffoWup posted:

Instead, they've realized what everyone had been telling them for a long time. The mm is not looking to ensure there is more balance between the spread for 3/5/7 template. They are saying 6 months to get it to check against it. Apparently they've realized that people were spending 80% of their time at bottom tier which was both slowing progression and also killing enjoyment.

How long did it take wargaming to realize that a matchmaking template with most players at bottom tier results in players spending most of their time at bottom tier?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

James Garfield posted:

How long did it take wargaming to realize that a matchmaking template with most players at bottom tier results in players spending most of their time at bottom tier?

It was broken even more than they expected. 7/15 being bottom tier is about 47%, but actual results were more like 75-80% bottom tier. I don't know what their tier by tier playerbase is like, but I don't think you can explain that large of a discrepancy by just volume at a specific tier.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
It turns out rommel1311 on the EU server doesn't like Rommel being called a Nazi war criminal. Just by calling Rommel a Nazi I was the actual Nazi

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

saintonan posted:

It was broken even more than they expected. 7/15 being bottom tier is about 47%, but actual results were more like 75-80% bottom tier. I don't know what their tier by tier playerbase is like, but I don't think you can explain that large of a discrepancy by just volume at a specific tier.

Given infinite tiers with no end points, and excluding platoons, the average player will play 3 times top tier, 5 times middle tier, and 7 times bottom tier. We don't have infinite tiers - a player playing tier tens will never be bottom or middle tier, they can only be top tier in a 5/10 or 3/5/7, and otherwise they're in a 15v15 all tier ten match. The matchmaker has been intentionally weighted against same-tier matches, so tier ten players will have a ripple effect on lower tier's chances of being top tier since they have to soak up a whole boatload of tier ten players, which presumably will be one of the more populated tiers, especially given that there's a bunch of missions and stuff that can only reasonably be done at tier ten.

Platoons also probably gently caress stuff up for the matchmaker since they're intentionally given worse matchmaking.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

wanna fix the tier distribution? buff low-tier income to be greater than high-tier. yes, even for premium accounts playing premium tanks. also let players unlock free exp with credits

ain't gonna happen

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

James Garfield posted:

Another 6 months apparently :v:

saintonan posted:

That 75-80% has to be in tier 8 battles though. At least when I was recording my tier 7 battles for 290 battles I ended up bottom tier in 41% of them. Though that includes two-tier spread. If I only look at the full 3-tier spread battles, I was bottom tier in 89/228 so 39%. Not because I was top tier more than I should though, all the "extra" battles where statistics say I should've been bottom tier I was middle tier instead.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
Yep tier 7 gets a break because all the tier 8s get shoved into tier 10 and 9 MM first as it seems to prioritize from the top down.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Foxtrot_13 posted:

It turns out rommel1311 on the EU server doesn't like Rommel being called a Nazi war criminal. Just by calling Rommel a Nazi I was the actual Nazi

Rommel never was an official member of the Nazi party, he just got great benefit from his close personal relationship with Hitler and was instrumental in trying to win the war which would have allowed the Nazis to genocide 100s of millions of people. Also he kinda sorta once gave a little support to a very last plan to kill Hitler, maybe. So all around he was a standup guy and you should feel bad for saying mean things about him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

2Jets posted:

Yep tier 7 gets a break because all the tier 8s get shoved into tier 10 and 9 MM first as it seems to prioritize from the top down.

Endgamers need their meat.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Rommel never was an official member of the Nazi party, he just got great benefit from his close personal relationship with Hitler and was instrumental in trying to win the war which would have allowed the Nazis to genocide 100s of millions of people. Also he kinda sorta once gave a little support to a very last plan to kill Hitler, maybe. So all around he was a standup guy and you should feel bad for saying mean things about him.

he also was instrumental in killing several million people, so gently caress him in his furry rear end

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SocketWrench posted:

Jesus, that's all it takes? People dropped that bitch like a hot potato. Either that or scores of people are stupid inept and die before getting a shot off.
That's almost as sad as watching sponsors youtube a new tank being released and tout "Of course I earned mastery" because no one's played the thing yet

When it was first out 1600 exp only got you a 2nd class on EU.

Still not sure how that game got me 1500 exp though, it wasn't particularly spectacular at all.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Hellsau posted:

he also was instrumental in killing several million people, so gently caress him in his furry rear end

¿??

But the Wehrmacht was clean!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Darkrenown posted:

¿??

But the Wehrmacht was clean!

There was this one doc that had a bunch of old German ww2 eastern front veterans looking at some war stuff in a museum with an interviewer and their consensus on the invasion of the Soviet Union was "Oh we weren't the baddies. We were defending ourselves from Bolshevism!"

Wish they'd all been run over by T-34s and KV tanks. :gibs:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I have yet to sell a tier 10 and I'm not about to start, but man is it tempting to get the T110E5 out of my garage. The only thing it can reliably do is beat up on lower tiers. It is entirely without value in a tier 10 match.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Remember when it had a completely troll armour turret and now its poo poo tier garbage?

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I already sent my Panther 8.8 and T26E5 to the great junkyard in the sky. gently caress those tanks.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Given infinite tiers with no end points, and excluding platoons, the average player will play 3 times top tier, 5 times middle tier, and 7 times bottom tier. We don't have infinite tiers - a player playing tier tens will never be bottom or middle tier, they can only be top tier in a 5/10 or 3/5/7, and otherwise they're in a 15v15 all tier ten match. The matchmaker has been intentionally weighted against same-tier matches, so tier ten players will have a ripple effect on lower tier's chances of being top tier since they have to soak up a whole boatload of tier ten players, which presumably will be one of the more populated tiers, especially given that there's a bunch of missions and stuff that can only reasonably be done at tier ten.

Platoons also probably gently caress stuff up for the matchmaker since they're intentionally given worse matchmaking.

So what you are saying is that tier 10 should be reverse in template order with 15v15 first, then 5/10 before moving to 3/5/7? I wonder how that would change things. Tier 9s might get screwed, but the power difference from 9 to 10 isn't as big as any other tier going up one tier. There is a pretty sizable jump from 7 to 8 and 8 to 9.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

So what you are saying is that tier 10 should be reverse in template order with 15v15 first, then 5/10 before moving to 3/5/7? I wonder how that would change things. Tier 9s might get screwed, but the power difference from 9 to 10 isn't as big as any other tier going up one tier. There is a pretty sizable jump from 7 to 8 and 8 to 9.

Literally all matches should be 15v15, MAYBE the lovely servers (NA, LATNAM, SEA, maybe some others I'm forgetting) can do 5/10 if someone's queue time goes over 2 minutes. That's it. There is no excuse for having +2/-2 matchmaking other than "it makes Wargaming more money" which, given Wargaming's public statements about intentionally causing the matchmaker to prefer 3/5/7 over the easier-to-make 15v15 same tier matches, and given Wargaming's policy of deliberately screwing platoons, "it makes Wargaming more money" is the only game design and balance criteria that matters.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

Hellsau posted:

Wow, you mean Wargaming suddenly didn't make Ranked Battles fun and interesting to play? Weird.

i dont wanna talk about it :smith:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Literally all matches should be 15v15, MAYBE the lovely servers (NA, LATNAM, SEA, maybe some others I'm forgetting) can do 5/10 if someone's queue time goes over 2 minutes. That's it. There is no excuse for having +2/-2 matchmaking other than "it makes Wargaming more money" which, given Wargaming's public statements about intentionally causing the matchmaker to prefer 3/5/7 over the easier-to-make 15v15 same tier matches, and given Wargaming's policy of deliberately screwing platoons, "it makes Wargaming more money" is the only game design and balance criteria that matters.

15v15 game’s in tier ten are actually kinda fun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cardiac posted:

I enjoy 15v15 tier ten matches more than 3/5/7 when I'm in a tier ten. I don't enjoy being literally unkillable just because the enemy tier tens have 120k total battles and 45k wins. It isn't much fun for the battle to be a foregone conclusion, and it's pretty much why I just can't play the game anymore. 3/5/7 is poo poo when you're always bottom tier, and I think it's just as poo poo the times you do get to be top tier.

Grand Battles being horrible where the only winning strategy is to camp and never voluntarily take damage doesn't help.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

JuffoWup posted:

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/announcements/preferential-matchmaking-0718/

Hey guys, wargaming actually heard all the rage and decided to leave pref tanks alone! Well, small little buffs, but they won't be losing their pref mm status.

Thank loving god.

Prav posted:

wanna fix the tier distribution? buff low-tier income to be greater than high-tier. yes, even for premium accounts playing premium tanks. also let players unlock free exp with credits

ain't gonna happen

Hell, give the top 3-5 on the losing team the full rate of credits/exp when their teammates poo poo the game for them.

serious gaylord posted:

When it was first out 1600 exp only got you a 2nd class on EU.

Still not sure how that game got me 1500 exp though, it wasn't particularly spectacular at all.

Of the few tanks I've mastered I got it on rather lame matches that ended in losses

But games where I do exceptional with others I get a first or second. I guess maybe the masteries came on a rare hiccup moment or something

AGGGGH BEES posted:

I already sent my Panther 8.8 and T26E5 to the great junkyard in the sky. gently caress those tanks.

Even I can remember matches where the E5 wasn't trash. But gently caress that Panther forever, holy poo poo what a hunk of garbage

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 27, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

If we're talking about the same T26E5 that is also the Patriot, I don't know how the gently caress it's supposed to be "trash"

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Glad to see they are keeping the FCM as garbage. It got power creeped to hell, their tiny buff to it's power and DPM will not be enough.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The type 59 is getting an armour and power to weight buff lmao.

Also I've been KV-2 ing

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

The type 59 is getting an armour and power to weight buff lmao.

more like a p2w buff lmao

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Cardiac posted:

As long as you're not driving some powercrept turd. Which I guess is true of basically any powercrept tank in any same tier battle.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Barry posted:

As long as you're not driving some powercrept turd. Which I guess is true of basically any powercrept tank in any same tier battle.

I like playing the E50m in all tier 10 games but hate playing the JgPzr.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I loving hate the IS-M.

Jesus Christ I just loving hate it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I loving hate the IS-M.

Did you free exp the turret or are you grinding from stock?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

I loving hate the IS-M.

You mean you don't like a slow brick with poor gun handling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

I loving hate the IS-M.

I have been absolutely enjoying mine. That fucker sidescrapes better than the maus honestly. On a tier for tier basis mind you. That turret will actually deflect shots while the maus has a flat front to catch all the shells.

serious gaylord posted:

You mean you don't like a slow brick with poor gun handling?

eh, not quite slow to me. But I've grinded through the t28-t95-e3 along with the maus pre-buffs. And the gun is still quite good honestly. I've done well with it even in sniping matches since the tank has something resembling armor.