Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:buddy::hf::v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I guess I'm continuing to do whatever I do. It's not fighting, that's for sure.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Did my creating an artifact crown still happen or has that been retconned out of existence now? :saddowns:

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Is my dwarf still around/did I ever grow up?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Did my creating an artifact crown still happen

Yes. That is still there.

Verant posted:

Is my dwarf still around/did I ever grow up?
I couldn't find you in the unit list, but that doesn't mean much. I'll look again next time I load the game.

20 Granite

The enemy seemed hesitant to attack, so I ordered Archers Ho! to head out as skirmishers. They are currently trading shots ineffectually with the enemy, and I will soon order them to retreat.

21 Granite
Archers Ho! was engaged in a brief melee, and the recall order was given. Balon was lightly wounded in the scuffle, but nobody else is hurt.

This poor showing by the enemy has caused me to revise my plans. Assuming that the enemy does not pursue to a more advantageous position, I will take the Tangles of Silver out to fight a brief engagement. We will still have an adequate reserve in the event of disaster, and will hopefully either drive the enemy away completely or draw them into the fort.
22 Granite
A traveler has returned, bearing news of his search for a book. His report suggests that the trip was little more than a bar crawl.

23 Granite

Vinny Possum has engaged the human leading the dead directly. Vinny has is winning handily.

Meanwhile, Drakenel is taking apart one of the undead.

Vinny dispatches his foe, and it is time to retreat. We cant afford to take losses here.

A small tragedy strikes just as the recall order is given. Vinny Possum is struck in the wrist by an undead fist. His gauntlet protects against the blow, but the force sprains his wrist badly, causing him to drop his weapon. I have forbidden the axe for now, and replaced Vinny with Pool Is Closed for now. The squad will reform in the fort.
During the retreat, I found myself under attack.

25 Granite
The plan worked magnificently, as we retreated to the fort with several undead in hot pursuit.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to do small updates, backing up the save between them, in an effort to avoid the same problem IPA had.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
But I said I'm not ready :cry:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's funny that some people are all "oh no don't put me in the military!" and others are "oh no don't take me out of the military!"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Due to religious convictions I'm afraid I'm not able to work any job that would make me even vaguely useful. So it's a good thing I'm an archer when there are undead around, otherwise I might accidentally contribute something.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's funny that some people are all "oh no don't put me in the military!" and others are "oh no don't take me out of the military!"

It's almost like goons are as arbitrary and contrary as their dorf counterparts, isn't it? :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Pharnakes posted:

drat it I'm supposed to be a reserve occupation! You will regret this when you are lying in bed with your arm rotting off from a poorly dressed wound. :argh:

And don't get any more of those tasty tasty masterwork weapons. :colbert:

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how this plays out, since I know some occupations boost stats to an absurd degree.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I am so disappointed that Cathode the Not Undead will likely never get to face off against Cathode Raymond (undead)

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

If the fort survives you're probably gonna need more people, so Dwarf Me!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do you even understand how long it takes to redo your hairs from a smith braid to a military death by undead braid?!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Renaissance Spam posted:

If the fort survives you're probably gonna need more people, so Dwarf Me!

Always need more meat for the grinder dwarves

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Personally, I just never end up doing anything of worth in any of these. I was happy to be smashing undead and being useful in the military for this one. :shobon:

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Veloxyll posted:

Always need more meat for the grinder dwarves

I'm doing my part!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally caught up on and read through this. I've never played DF but something that caught my eye is how young the world seems to be. You can become a nation's capital with 120 dwarves! Civilizations, as they are, seem small.

As such, please dwarf me as a historian of this fledgling world. :v:

e: Has anyone ever played Slaves to Armok: Chapter 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml9YtodnE1s

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 30, 2018

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Just caught up on the thread and wanted to say how much I enjoyed IPA's turn and writing style. Really played to the games strengths and breathed life into the story.

Shame the save stuffed up on ya but know your hard work wasn't wasted!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Abongination posted:

Shame the save stuffed up on ya but know your hard work wasn't wasted!

:h:

Thanks! I appreciate it and also same to anyone else who tuned in to watch me fail and/or chimed in after.

Sorry I pretty much flounced out with nary a word more after murdering the thread progress, but it was honestly all I could do. Was a bitter pill.

But anyway. Save early, often and apparently in multiple stages with backups: a hard learned DF LP lesson not soon forgotten.

I'm looking forward to following the progress of this non-dream-sequence Overseer timeline and seeing what, if anything is left of the Fort if it falls back into my hands.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Gnoman posted:

boisterous

nope, that is not correct.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Dwarf me. I lust for death and prefer military service

will settle for going insane trying to add menacing spikes to my goblet out of materials that are unobtainable

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

26 Granite

Idiocy has struck! Thranguy has gotten confused, and charged out of the gates instead of into them. No attempt at rescue will be made.

She is doing quite well. She has already killed four, crippled more, and they are having great trouble hurting her. I greatly desire to go to her aid, but it cant last, and we must make our battle in the fort. Even ordering another retreat will not help, for fighting is the only thing keeping her alive.

It is done. A hammer got through her defenses, and crushed her skull. If only she had obeyed.

28 Granite
Our warriors have engaged the enemy at last. The pathetic traps that line our entrance hall shattered uselessly upon the enemy, but they are inside now, where we fight under divine protection. All troops have been ordered to attack, and Epsilon Moonshade leads the charge, stabbing a zombie in the tooth.

1 Slate
A Bad Place fights bravely, but takes a bad hand wound. Losing his spear, he fights on with hands and feet before being overwhelmed and losing his head to a zombie sword.

Pharnakes is badly wounded, and has lost her sword. She continues to fight.

Drakenel fights with a savage fury, and wields an axe to great effect.

Frenzy the Killbot is all but invisible behind her mighty hammer, which smashes everything that comes near her, and the enemy cant even begin to land a blow.

Theshim is doing equally well

The battle rages on. We seem to be winning.

2 Slate

Alas, Theshim has fallen. Reports suggest that a lucky hammer blow got through, and that was enough to allow the enemy to pile on the deadly blows.

Epsilon Moonshade passed out during the battle and was quickly dispatched. This battle is taking a turn for the worse.

PhallicPhalanges has taken a spear to the head and died.

On the other hand, more than two thirds of the attacking horde have been destroyed.

So far, nothing that has fallen inside has gotten back up again.

Pool is Closed is dead. She neglected to pick up a weapon, and her fists were not enough to handle the enemy.

So Math has fallen as well

I myself entered the fray, biting the teeth out of an attacker.

3 Slate

The battle is all but over. Only two undead remain, and they are fleeing. Our forces pursue to ensure that these, at least, can not return. I have allowed the civilians to leave the dining room, and ordered all of the outside zombie bits dumped. The inside ones can wait, for a little while.

In a sign of divine favor, lamentable dustman shows sign of possession.

Hitlers Gay Secret has died. Im not sure how.

Addendum by Megane, Militia Commander
4 Slate
We found this diary on the battlefield by the overseers corpse. Were not sure how she was overcome, but she fell in battle.

Hopefully, updates will go a little quicker now. This battle required very careful timing, and took a lot of attention.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So who's in charge of patching us all up now I'm a mangled mess?

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Is it too late to ask to be dwarfed?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Not at all. I suspect that we'll have extra migrants in a wave or two, since the population just dropped.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Did I participate in the battle?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I'm pretty sure I took you out of the military, so I don't think so. My next update is going to go over things in more detail. That probably won't be for a few days.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Dwarven steel and sinew (and, as usual, teeth and fingernails) achieve what months of futzing around with hatches and lava couldn't.

For Valleysilences! Let's take the fight to the necromancer bastard.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Gnoman posted:

Frenzy the Killbot is all but invisible behind her mighty hammer, which smashes everything that comes near her, and the enemy cant even begin to land a blow.

Whoa, glad to see I'm actually a proficient fighter, and might have actually survived.

Gnoman posted:

Hitlers Gay Secret has died. Im not sure how.

But oh no! I'm a widow now :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gnoman posted:

I'm pretty sure I took you out of the military, so I don't think so. My next update is going to go over things in more detail. That probably won't be for a few days.

There is no Glory in this decision. I demand to face blood and death, armed or with my bare hands, I care not :black101:.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Dwarf Me to replace the fallen please.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Sweet dreams, So Math. The god of nightmares is waiting.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Still catching up on the thread but Dwarf me please!

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

caught up with the thread, i went from dead to possessed

its been a wild ride

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I told you I wasn't ready! :iia:

Redwarf me sometime.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Dang, I went out like a champ. :iit:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
dwarf me

I'm down to do anything.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

A minor update:

I loaded up Legends mode because it was hard to keep track of what happened.

We suffered 10 dead (plus 3 animals) in this battle. 3 more have injuries that could easily prove fatal, and two are at risk of infection

Thranguy - killed by a goblin zombie with a bismuth bronze warhammer
A Bad Place - killed by a goblin zombie with a steel short sword
Pharnakes - killed by a goblin zombie with a silver mace
theshim - killed by a goblin zombie with a steel warhammer
Epsilon Moonshade - killed by a goblin zombie with a copper warhammer
PhallicPhalanges - killed by a goblin zombie with a bismuth bronze spear
POOL IS CLOSED - killed by a human zombie with a silver mace
So Math - killed by a human zombie with a steel spear
Hitler's Gay Secret - killed by a human zombie with a steel warhammer
Gnoman - killed by a human zombie, somehow

We destroyed a lot of undead (my best effort - zombies don't show up in the battle report)

The dead:

Thranguy - 4 goblin zombies
A bad place - THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK
Pharnakes - 1 goblin zombie
theshim - 4 goblin zombies
Epsilon Moonshade - 5 goblin zombies
PhallicPhalanges - one goblin zombie
So Math - one goblin zombie
Hitler's Gay Secret - one human zombie, 7 goblin zombies
Gnoman - 2 human zombies, 7 goblin zombies

The living:
Vinny Possum - 1 Human
Frenzy The Killbot - 7 human zombies, 6 goblin zombies
Megane - 4 human zombies, 6 goblin zombies
Drakenel - 3 human zombies, 3 goblin zombies
Corbeau - 3 human zombies, 5 goblin zombies
turol - one goblin zombie, one human zombie

The wounded (not diagnosed yet)

Frenzy The Killbot - cut to right foot, bruise to left lower arm
Vinny Possum - Broken finger, torn up left hand
Drakenel - Neck torn open
Corbeau - Neck torn open, bruises to head and upper spine, right hand missing (removed by a human zombie's silver short sword)
Turol - various damages to left hand, left foot, cut open right lower arm, cut open left lower arm, head torn open, neck torn open, right hand bruised, right elbow bruised.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

So wait, does that mean I killed 10 zombies and came out completely unscathed, while everyone else died or was horribly injured?

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Where the hell am I during all this madness?