Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

NTRabbit posted:

If you look at their store on shapeways, a significant portion of the ships have photos of final products next to rulers for scale

Nice. These actually look pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

mllaneza posted:

But how can you not want this ?

Because I did not know it existed? But now that I know, I want.

You suck. :argh:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ilor posted:

I'm in a sort of unhappy medium position when it comes to scales; All of my WW2 stuff is 28mm. I love the look of it and the detail is great. It's fun to paint and there are a bajillion manufacturers and stuff is relatively cheap. But all of my ACW stuff is in 15mm.

This wouldn't be so bad, but it sure would be nice to share generic terrain (dirt roads, streams, rivers, swamps, hedges, fields, stone walls, fences, etc) between the two eras/scales. So now I'm faced with a dilemma: do I get rid of my 15mm ACW stuff and buy new at 28mm, or do I commit to having terrain at two different scales? If I were only doing Sharp Practice I might be more willing to go with 28mm ACW, but god drat do larger scale games like Gettysburg Soldiers and Pickett's Charge look appealing.

I am legit torn.

NTRabbit is right that things like trees and bushes are scale-agnoistic if you're selective.

Things like buildings and fences tend to be more scale-specific. But if you're doing US Civil War and WWII they're probably going to look different anyway. A 19th century American house and split-rail fence won't (shouldn't) look like a European house and fence anyway.

Consider:

vs.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

http://btassault.wpengine.com/enemy-at-the-gates-preview/

There's a preview of the new FOW Mid-war Soviets book, and it looks... really good actually? Comissars no longer kill their own guys, you have the option of motivated but inexperienced infantry or experienced infantry. The only "Asiatic Hordes" poo poo is that Soviet tanks are Reckless and hit on 2+, but overall, looks real decent.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Geisladisk posted:

Comissars no longer kill their own guys, you have the option of motivated but inexperienced infantry or experienced infantry. The only "Asiatic Hordes" poo poo is that Soviet tanks are Reckless and hit on 2+, but overall, looks real decent.

Huh...

This - might - tempt me back.

Edit: Link to their store.

So if I understand this, Enemy is $20, Cross is $20. If I buy them together it's $60, but they throw in a poster? I'll pass on that poster, thanks...

Cessna fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 24, 2018

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Geisladisk posted:

http://btassault.wpengine.com/enemy-at-the-gates-preview/

There's a preview of the new FOW Mid-war Soviets book, and it looks... really good actually? Comissars no longer kill their own guys, you have the option of motivated but inexperienced infantry or experienced infantry. The only "Asiatic Hordes" poo poo is that Soviet tanks are Reckless and hit on 2+, but overall, looks real decent.

Comissars just generically increase squad morale while they live which intersects with the new rules for snipers where their hit can't be moved, allowing you to plug the politruk tending to morale duties in the head in front of everyone and make them a bit more nervous about poking their heads over the parapet.

Most stuff is hit on 3+ but there's 4+ stuff like scouts, assault groups, and finally antitank companies, too.

They've realised 4" charge range doesn't work and boosted it to 6" for the big blob, meaning you might actually trigger the new quality of quantity for once.

Equally importantly, they've realised that 5+ assault every redfor faction under the new rules is lumped with loving blows, so 4+, 3+, and 2+ assault abounds.

I'm actually keen on a BF soviet release for once, it's crazy.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

I'm actually keen on a BF soviet release for once, it's crazy.

V4 really left me cold, but the idea that my Soviets might not be trash for once has me intrigued as well.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The most stunning bit of their Breakthrough Assault interview is where the designer offhandedly mentions that there's a card for the 40k Comissar rule, but the passive morale boost effect is more historical. I'm kind of okay with an approach where they more clearly silo their WW2 movie/WW2 documentary approaches rather than giving the US the documentary rules and the Soviets the movie rules. And I'm also kind of stunned they admitted the Comissars rule was more of a pop culture thing than an attempt at historicity.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I've got a whole bunch of Shermans for late war FOW, but my club has a mid war tournament coming up and I want to try to reuse as much of my LW stuff as possible for MW Americans in Africa.

I'm a bit confused by the Sherman variant timeline. Are welded hull Shermans (the sharp cornered ones) exclusively a late war thing? Will grogs see red if I field a mid-war American army with welded hull Shermans?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Geisladisk posted:

I've got a whole bunch of Shermans for late war FOW, but my club has a mid war tournament coming up and I want to try to reuse as much of my LW stuff as possible for MW Americans in Africa.

I'm a bit confused by the Sherman variant timeline. Are welded hull Shermans (the sharp cornered ones) exclusively a late war thing? Will grogs see red if I field a mid-war American army with welded hull Shermans?

Welded hulls are not exclusively late war, no, the first welded variant started production in April 1942 just two months after the initial cast model. The late ware exclusives are the 76mm gun in the T23 turret, the 105mm armed variants, and HVSS suspension.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
I ordered some mdf buildings from 4ground. Anybody ever order from them? Processing seems slow.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NTRabbit posted:

Welded hulls are not exclusively late war, no, the first welded variant started production in April 1942 just two months after the initial cast model. The late ware exclusives are the 76mm gun in the T23 turret, the 105mm armed variants, and HVSS suspension.
Yeah, the variations in hull construction are mostly just due to capacity issues in various manufacturing centers. You should be fine with the above list of things to watch out for.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cool, thanks.

Out of curiosity, was either type better or was it just a matter of differently equipped plants?

Cast seems like it would be more durable, since it's all one piece, but I know literally nothing about metallurgy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think they were close enough as makes no real difference for the forces involved. I know there were different engines for different fuels which make logistics more complex, but other than that :shrug:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Geisladisk posted:

Cool, thanks.

Out of curiosity, was either type better or was it just a matter of differently equipped plants?

Cast seems like it would be more durable, since it's all one piece, but I know literally nothing about metallurgy.

Practically welded was better, because damaged plates could be replaced in the field, whereas a damaged cast upper hull was a write off and had to be replaced in its entirety.

Casting was also difficult, expensive, and time consuming compared to welding, which is why it was done in a smaller number of plants, and phased out early. Theoretically cast produces better armour, because it can be harder without going brittle, and generate more angles for potential ricochets, but in practise the pros didn't outweigh the cons.

The M4 and M4A1 (the cast type) were the original types, and had the same gun and the same radial engine normally used in planes. The M4A2 had a diesel engine instead, and was largely used by Russia and the Marines. The M4A3 was the definitive type, had a Ford V8, and underwent the full set of upgrades over time including HVSS suspension, wet ammo rack, the 76mm gun with T23 turret, the Jumbo uparmoured edition, and the 105. The M4A4 had a Chrysler 30 cylinder multibank in a lengthened hull, and was used almost exclusively by the British, where it is best known as the basis for the Sherman V Firefly conversion.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 26, 2018

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Practically welded was better, because damaged plates could be replaced in the field, whereas a damaged cast upper hull was a write off and had to be replaced in its entirety.

Casting was also difficult, expensive, and time consuming compared to welding, which is why it was done in a smaller number of plants, and phased out early. Theoretically cast produces better armour, because it can be harder without going brittle, and generate more angles for potential ricochets, but in practise the pros didn't outweigh the cons.

The M4 and M4A1 (the cast type) were the original types, and had the same gun and the same radial engine normally used in planes. The M4A2 had a diesel engine instead, and was largely used by Russia and the Marines. The M4A3 was the definitive type, had a Ford V8, and underwent the full set of upgrades over time including HVSS suspension, wet ammo rack, the 76mm gun with T23 turret, the Jumbo uparmoured edition, and the 105. The M4A4 had a Chrysler 30 cylinder multibank in a lengthened hull, and was used almost exclusively by the British, where it is best known as the basis for the Sherman V Firefly conversion.

This is such a good post. When I first started looking into the Sherman variant stuff, it took me days of looking around to pierce all this together.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To add to that, the British were weird and started numbering subvariants from the Sherman M4 which was the Sherman I, then the Sherman M4A1 was the Sherman II etc. If you see a Sherman XA that's a 76mm gun, a XB is a 105mm gun, a XC is a Firefly with 17pdr, and anything with a Y in it has HVSS. In practive that means you'll see people in the UK selling models of Sherman I, III and V, with I and V being modded into IC and VC. A and B are almost never seen, and TBH are likely just internal notes to the Lend-Lease "shopping lists".

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
The vast majority of UK IAs and IIAs ended up with the 6th Armoured Division, 6th South African Armoured or 2nd New Zealand Diviision in Italy, which is traditionally a less sexy theatre of war, and hence often gets overlooked. Also, them Fireflies are much more gloriously phallic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If we're going to go Full Grog, the South African and New Zealand units would not be considered part of the UK, and most of the II's that they got passed through their hands into other nations units, like the exiled Polish, French, Belgian etc... units that got attached to British Divisions. Brigades had crazy inter-Division mobility during the war too.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

tomdidiot posted:

...Italy, which is traditionally a less sexy theatre of war...
Says you. Once I paint up the Italians I got off mugginns, I'm gonna have a blast doing Sicily/Italy stuff. There are some great engagements in both campaigns. Monte Cassino in particular was a slug-fest.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ilor posted:

Says you. Once I paint up the Italians I got off mugginns, I'm gonna have a blast doing Sicily/Italy stuff. There are some great engagements in both campaigns. Monte Cassino in particular was a slug-fest.

Once I'm done with my Cape Town Highlanders, I'm gonna paint Fallschirmjägers in mediterranean setting, specifically for North Africa/Sicily/Italy. And in Sicily they get to fight Allied paratroopers for the ultimate elite outfit duel!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

Once I'm done with my Cape Town Highlanders, I'm gonna paint Fallschirmjägers in mediterranean setting, specifically for North Africa/Sicily/Italy. And in Sicily they get to fight Allied paratroopers for the ultimate elite outfit duel!
Woohoo, so much underwear on the outside!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Ilor posted:

You still don't get 76mm Shermans until the Gothic Line battles and the 1945 offensive. i.e. the even less sexy part of the less sexy theatre.

quote:

If we're going to go Full Grog, the South African and New Zealand units would not be considered part of the UK, and most of the II's that they got passed through their hands into other nations units, like the exiled Polish, French, Belgian etc... units that got attached to British Divisions. Brigades had crazy inter-Division mobility during the war too.
Commonwealth Shermans were supplied to them all via the UK's lend-lease stocks.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 27, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
But not used by the British, hence Full Grog. It makes a lot of sense from a logistical perspective to funnel them through the UK and onwards from there while keeping the types strictly segregated along national lines TBH.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I am almost done with my Desert Rats 2-lb anti-tank guns. I think I've happened upon a color scheme that captures the "so light tan it's almost white" that the British vehicles/equipment had early in the war.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Team Yankee in 6mm
http://tinytanks3mm.blogspot.com/2018/07/team-yankee-6mm-at-wintercon-2018.html

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Nice board, but a weird report - 75% pre game.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I think they're describing all the hoops you have to jump through to get a decent(ly groggy) game of TY

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Tiny Tanks didn't consider FFoT to be groggy enuff, so he had some rules (pre game) for it, too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, it seems that they're just describing a scenario for the game with some special rules to make overwatch fire more of a thing TBH.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Fish and Chimps posted:

I think they're describing all the hoops you have to jump through to get a decent(ly groggy) game of TY

Which doesn't seem right; TY's really nailed it's mast to being a WW3 movie at this point with the timeline alteration and the available equipment just being "stuff from the 80s" rather than anything specific.

My concern with the command bubble is more an aesthetic than accuracy one at this point.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I actually prefer the gameplay considerations of being able to daisy-chain a unit out and risk coherency being broken by clever use of range to just kill the dude in the middle. It's rare that you can make it happen, but it's worth forcing people to think about it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

I actually prefer the gameplay considerations of being able to daisy-chain a unit out and risk coherency being broken by clever use of range to just kill the dude in the middle. It's rare that you can make it happen, but it's worth forcing people to think about it.

Same. The main gameplay reason it's there is probably another gameplay reason, namely that it makes the hits bubble accurate if you aim for the unit leader. If not you get weird hit distribution stuff on larger units.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The bubble as a game mechanic is fine, the only problem with it is that it's too small at 15mm scale. This horse has been beaten into a fine mist of aerosolized carbon molecules at this point, but TY's ground scale is closer to what a 6mm game would have.

Still a good game, in spite of it's flaws.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Cross-postin' from the Oath Thread:

Just for fun I decided to play some games with skin tones on these guys. It's a little hard to see in the final photos, but the dude on left in the group photo is rockin' a pretty wicked farmer tan. Clearly he's new to North Africa. Here's a shot of him before the MinWax wash was applied that shows it more clearly:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
More cross-posting of some AWI Hessians! (and a few Miltita commanders.)

Oath complete

I now have enough guys to play Sharp Practice!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Geisladisk posted:

The bubble as a game mechanic is fine, the only problem with it is that it's too small at 15mm scale. This horse has been beaten into a fine mist of aerosolized carbon molecules at this point, but TY's ground scale is closer to what a 6mm game would have.
It's sort of a weird mechanic at all from a certain perspective when the ground scale is nowhere near large enough that radio contact range would be an issue, but I get why it exists. Great War Spearhead's version of the command bubble makes a hell of a lot more sense in that regard.

Ilor posted:

Just for fun I decided to play some games with skin tones on these guys. It's a little hard to see in the final photos, but the dude on left in the group photo is rockin' a pretty wicked farmer tan. Clearly he's new to North Africa. Here's a shot of him before the MinWax wash was applied that shows it more clearly:

That's really cool.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
The Tanks! game is great! I just ordered three expansions to use for CoC or WaT! Great way to get Battlefront's excellent plastic tanks one at a time.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Grey Hunter posted:

I now have enough guys to play Sharp Practice!
Fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fish and Chimps posted:

The Tanks! game is great! I just ordered three expansions to use for CoC or WaT! Great way to get Battlefront's excellent plastic tanks one at a time.

Yeah I've done the same, albeit I bought it to play before WaT! existed. The Panther, M4A3 Sherman, and Pakwagen are all good kits, though the Pakwagen isn't in WaT yet (needs an armoured car supplement). I plan to get more in a fantasy future where everyone has reliable jobs that pay real money.