Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Mercrom posted:

money is made up :eyepop:

Inept posted:

i feel like there's about a 30% chance someone starts advocating moving back to the gold standard on this page

quote:

When involuntary unemployment exists, the marginal disutility of labour is necessarily less than the utility of the marginal product. Indeed it may be much less. For a man who has been long unemployed some measure of labour, instead of involving disutility, may have a positive utility. If this is accepted, the above reasoning shows how “wasteful” loan expenditure[8] may nevertheless enrich the community on balance. Pyramid-building, earthquakes, even wars may serve to increase wealth, if the education of our statesmen on the principles of the classical economics stands in the way of anything better.

It is curious how common sense, wriggling for an escape from absurd conclusions, has been apt to reach a preference for wholly “wasteful” forms of loan expenditure rather than for partly wasteful forms, which, because they are not wholly wasteful, tend to be judged on strict “business” principles. For example, unemployment relief financed by loans is more readily accepted than the financing of improvements at a charge below the current rate of interest; whilst the form of digging holes in the ground known as gold-mining, which not only adds nothing whatever to the real wealth of the world but involves the disutility of labour, is the most acceptable of all solutions.

If the Treasury were to fill old bottles with banknotes, bury them at suitable depths in disused coalmines which are then filled up to the surface with town rubbish, and leave it to private enterprise on well-tried principles of laissez-faire to dig the notes up again (the right to do so being obtained, of course, by tendering for leases of the note-bearing territory), there need be no more unemployment and, with the help of the repercussions, the real income of the community, and its capital wealth also, would probably become a good deal greater than it actually is. It would, indeed, be more sensible to build houses and the like; but if there are political and practical difficulties in the way of this, the above would be better than nothing.

The analogy between this expedient and the goldmines of the real world is complete. At periods when gold is available at suitable depths experience shows that the real wealth of the world increases rapidly; and when but little of it is so available, our wealth suffers stagnation or decline. Thus gold-mines are of the greatest value and importance to civilisation. just as wars have been the only form of large-scale loan expenditure which statesmen have thought justifiable, so gold-mining is the only pretext for digging holes in the ground which has recommended itself to bankers as sound finance; and each of these activities has played its part in progress-failing something better. To mention a detail, the tendency in slumps for the price of gold to rise in terms of labour and materials aids eventual recovery, because it increases the depth at which gold-digging pays and lowers the minimum grade of ore which is payable.

In addition to the probable effect of increased supplies of gold on the rate of interest, gold-mining is for two reasons a highly practical form of investment, if we are precluded from increasing employment by means which at the same time increase our stock of useful wealth. In the first place, owing to the gambling attractions which it offers it is carried on without too close a regard to the ruling rate of interest. In the second place the result, namely, the increased stock of gold, does not, as in other cases, have the effect of diminishing its marginal utility. Since the value of a house depends on its utility, every house which is built serves to diminish the prospective rents obtainable from further house-building and therefore lessens the attraction of further similar investment unless the rate of interest is falling part passu. But the fruits of gold-mining do not suffer from this disadvantage, and a check can only come through a rise of the wage-unit in terms of gold, which is not likely to occur unless and until employment is substantially better. Moreover, there is no subsequent reverse effect on account of provision for user and supplementary costs, as in the case of less durable forms of wealth.

Ancient Egypt was doubly fortunate, and doubtless owed to this its fabled wealth, in that it possessed two activities, namely, pyramid-building as well as the search for the precious metals, the fruits of which, since they could not serve the needs of man by being consumed, did not stale with abundance. The Middle Ages built cathedrals and sang dirges. Two pyramids, two masses for the dead, are twice as good as one; but not so two railways from London to York. Thus we are so sensible, have schooled ourselves to so close a semblance of prudent financiers, taking careful thought before we add to the “financial” burdens of posterity by building them houses to live in, that we have no such easy escape from the sufferings of unemployment. We have to accept them as an inevitable result of applying to the conduct of the State the maxims which are best calculated to “enrich” an individual by enabling him to pile up claims to enjoyment which he does not intend to exercise at any definite time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Inept posted:

i feel like there's about a 30% chance someone starts advocating moving back to the gold standard on this page

lol

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Don't make me start on the MMT again. I'll do it. I'll loving do it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/4G5/status/1022194376636809216

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

good, this dumb company deserves to die so hard that even a bailout can't save it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fleetwood Crack posted:

It is funny, but it's probably fake. From the crypto thread:

I’d say it’s pretty possible if he was leveraged 10x or more.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Inept posted:

the moment the world moved off of gold standard was the moment even economists noticed money was obsolete.

need something? you can have it. we have more empty apartments than homeless people, more food and water than people can consume. healthcare is a bit patchy in some places, but people can work on that when they don't need to spend 80 billion manhours a day doing bullshit jobs at bullshit businesses moving papers from stack a to stack b to survive.

want something more? write a paper on why you need it to improve society or get in the loving line. all money does is enable the rich to jump the line, because for some weird hosed up reason, in this post scarcity world, it still commands power.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

That'll happen when you get a $1 Billion tv deal.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know it's very woke to yell about how the Lord of the Rings was white nationalist and whatever but rewatching it now it feels incredibly Death Crew in that it has multiple scenes of the "Good King" Théoden screaming about riding out into death itself and I'm starting to realize that the Orcs/Uruk-Hai were those compromised by the MAGA/Crapistalist bullshit as Theoden screams RIDE FOR RUIN AND THE WORLD ENDING! DEATH! DEATH! as a woman told she'll never be a true equal comforts an effeminate dorklord comforts him as they charge into overwhelming oblivion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhdojmRR9r0

It's incredibly hosed up we let liberals seize nerd media as their tool when you'd much rather die fighting to eradicate crapitalism and it's monstrosities instead of dying of preventative causes because you couldn't afford healthcare

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Peanut President posted:

That'll happen when you get a $1 Billion tv deal.

yeah, the market had to reset with the new fact that people, or at least TV networks, apparently care about WWE in 2018

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm told it's like a soap opera starring only stuntmen and stuntwomen

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah, the market had to reset with the new fact that people, or at least TV networks, apparently care about WWE in 2018

Saudi Arabia, actually, needed a propaganda platform to legitmize them while they committed active, American-assisted genocide in Yemen. Hence the reformist Prince that The Rock was sucking the loving dick of on social media. They refused to let women perform, and banned Sami Zayn because he is Syrian, also one of their commentators got punished for this on Instagram:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The WWE women's division is legit amazing and better than half the men on the roster.

They're starting to create women's versions of the popular pay-per-view events because there's so many women and they're all really good.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

#ifYugeTitYugeTit

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
more importantly (to tv execs) it's live. sports and other poo poo people won't just pirate/dvr is worth a gently caress ton of money

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Taintrunner posted:

Saudi Arabia, actually, needed a propaganda platform to legitmize them while they committed active, American-assisted genocide in Yemen. Hence the reformist Prince that The Rock was sucking the loving dick of on social media. They refused to let women perform, and banned Sami Zayn because he is Syrian, also one of their commentators got punished for this on Instagram:

lol i completely missed this with graves, what did they do to him?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Peanut President posted:

more importantly (to tv execs) it's live. sports and other poo poo people won't just pirate/dvr is worth a gently caress ton of money

probably why overwatch is on ESPN now

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

hobbesmaster posted:

yea its gets viewers, somehow

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Taintrunner posted:

I know it's very woke to yell about how the Lord of the Rings was white nationalist and whatever but rewatching it now

lol

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

hobbesmaster posted:

:popeye:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Colleges are even starting up their own leagues and some offer scholarships for gaming.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Inept posted:

#ifYugeTitYugeTit

i love yuge tits

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i'd rather die charging into an infinite and unending evil screaming DEATH! than pretending that electing a corporate democrat in 2020 will make our nightmares go away

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
when people criticize lotr for racism they’re typically tolkien about the books fyi

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Taintrunner posted:

i'd rather die charging into an infinite and unending evil screaming DEATH! than pretending that electing a corporate democrat in 2020 will make our nightmares go away

:same:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

Colleges are even starting up their own leagues and some offer scholarships for gaming.

There's a ton of money in games. Mid-tier twitch streamers with at least a couple thousand subscribers make a ton of money. The big time streamers are just loving raking in cash.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when people criticize lotr for racism they’re typically tolkien about the books fyi

(loud sigh)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is pretty doomsday right?

https://twitter.com/EPN473/status/1022692238176870400

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

to tie this into economics:

either the leading economically developed countries will band together to address climate change in a meaningful fashion or they won't.

if they do, it's likely that tens of trillions of dollars worth of carbon-based assets become worthless, plunging the global economy into a depression.

if they don't, well lmao

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
counterpoint: build more houses on the urban wildland boundary because it's scenic

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
california fires really only affect rural towns and rich people's stupid rear end developments on top of ridges (aka, the most fire-dangerous place you could possibly build)

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Finicums Wake posted:

to tie this into economics:

either the leading economically developed countries will band together to address climate change in a meaningful fashion or they won't.

if they do, it's likely that tens of trillions of dollars worth of carbon-based assets become worthless, plunging the global economy into a depression.

if they don't, well lmao

The Marshall Islands, Bermuda, the Maldives, and a few other nations that are barely above sea level are gonna go first.

The Marshall Islands are especially doomsday since the US used to test nuclear weapons on them, gave a bunch of them cancer, and didn't even give them enough reparations to cover medical expenses.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2015/11/27/a-ground-zero-forgotten/

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Who wrote this? It's more or less what I already knew but I like how explicit terms could they word it in.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

california fires really only affect rural towns and rich people's stupid rear end developments on top of ridges (aka, the most fire-dangerous place you could possibly build)

all my old church friends that moved to redding to be with jesus are freaking the gently caress out, so probably yeah

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
didn't see thius posted

https://twitter.com/EconguyRosie/status/1022134803779526656

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

:getin:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
facebook finally released the extremely illegal targeted ads from the brexit referendum. here is a bunch of them

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1022596449207574528

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't even get why there was a referendum on it. is the hope that EU regulations being gone would allow naked russia-style oligarchy or what

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
david cameron decided to bet destroying the country economically and fracture of the UK to make some insane MPs in his party happy and probably didn't think he'd win an outright majority so could abandon doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Larry Parrish posted:

i don't even get why there was a referendum on it. is the hope that EU regulations being gone would allow naked russia-style oligarchy or what

That but you also have to appreciate the character of the British ruling class and their voters. They are full on insane people. They want a return to Empire. There are plenty of them rubbing their hands together getting ready to sell every inch of the UK to american vulture funds and investment banks, but theres a huge nationalist bent to the whole thing that's hard to contextulise outside of these peoples delusions of grandeur. (Also racism and standard MAGA style rhetoric.)

Edit: and yeah what jose said about why it happened in the first place, tory internal politics.