Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Whoooooo boy there's a pretty obvious and fast memory leak in the ps4 version now. God damnit I was just getting back into enjoying this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Man how long does the Polo "raise one of your milestone levels, wait two hours, rinse repeat" go for? I now have to kill a certain level of starships

I want to start the base building quests.

I assume this eventually leads to base building.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Huh, interesting... It was this galactic commission mission that was slowing my game down to like ½-to-2/3rds speed... As soon as I turned it in everything snapped back to regular speed (or close enough). Well cool there's a new (not-so) fun bug. I only wish it was as cool as dudes asteroid-warp-to-planet bug posted last page :v:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Man how long does the Polo "raise one of your milestone levels, wait two hours, rinse repeat" go for? I now have to kill a certain level of starships

I want to start the base building quests.

I assume this eventually leads to base building.

Those are just repeatable milestone quests, follow the Artemis and Apollo ones instead

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Stevefin posted:

Those are just repeatable milestone quests, follow the Artemis and Apollo ones instead

:suicide:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Stevefin posted:

So I found my first new ruin with the ancient keys, while I was hunting them under the ground I found structures underground and decided to try and excavate the entire ruin

After using up all my ferrite this is how far I got, its pretty drat big :negative:

Hey, I got one of those last night, and did the same thing. Picked up 4 ancient keys. Now what do I with them?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Duke Chin posted:

Whoooooo boy there's a pretty obvious and fast memory leak in the ps4 version now. God damnit I was just getting back into enjoying this

I'm not quite sure it's a memory leak. I thought the game was doing worse the longer I played, but at one point tonight I'd been playing for a long time on the same planet and the game suddenly was running amazing. I think it tends to get stuttery and crashy when you visit many different locations in rapid succession maybe. I hope it's at least somewhat fixed in the patch they pushed out.

edit: yeah the patch notes specifically mention memory leaks so I guess it's a systemic thing across all the versions

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The_Doctor posted:

Hey, I got one of those last night, and did the same thing. Picked up 4 ancient keys. Now what do I with them?
Open the ancient chest in the center of the area where the keys are. :P

So the new scanner in this version just keeps surprising me. You can scan NPC ships and it'll tell you the type, how much space it has (even tech!) and the cost of the ship! No more having to run around talking to everyone trying to figure out if their ship is what you want, just scan!

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

Not sure if all the fixes in the recent PC patch apply to what the PS4 will be getting, but I think it has all very similar bugs.

The 1.51 patch notes mention fixing a number of memory leaks, and crashes caused by memory corruption. If it's the same thing affecting the PS4 version then it might be sorted when the patch gets there.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

How do I unlock the bigger refineries? Trying to soup up my multitool and I need to cook 2 dihydrogens at once apparently for one of the ingredients.

Also god drat I loving hate space stations. Why the gently caress is everything elevated just enough that a default jetpack can hardly make it up, and the stairs are crammed in the corners. Annoying as poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stevefin posted:

Also I feel like they hosed the allure of that quest like. Before the anomaly was a random encounter as you traveled. So by the time you saw it you’d have a good chunk of exploring and milestones done. Now it just shows up every couple of hours when you have the quest selected and scan.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Dont Touch ME posted:

Also god drat I loving hate space stations. Why the gently caress is everything elevated just enough that a default jetpack can hardly make it up, and the stairs are crammed in the corners. Annoying as poo poo.

Why haven't you upgraded your jetpack yet? I can jet and sprint for miles. You should be able to do this within the first hour, they're pretty cheap.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also I feel like they hosed the allure of that quest like. Before the anomaly was a random encounter as you traveled. So by the time you saw it you’d have a good chunk of exploring and milestones done. Now it just shows up every couple of hours when you have the quest selected and scan.

That I did not know of, I thought it would just spawn the next time you have more milestones to trade in outside of the main quest line so to speak

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What's the best way to take out walkers, other than jumping in your spaceship and blasting the poo poo out of them?

Edit: Pretty sure you can summon the Anomaly at any time now just by having the quest open and scanning a system.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
So I’m encountering a bug in the exocraft quest line. The dude told me to go blow up a depot and bring him the advanced materials but the quest has updated to me returning to him yet I don’t have the materials needed to actually hand in the quest. Does anybody know what materials he’s asking for? I have a feeling I may have them in storage but I have no idea which materials they are

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well ran into my first big. Freighter says it has no hyperdrive fuel so I can’t warp anywhere with it but the hyperdrive is at 100%.

This bug was fixed today on the experimental branch:

quote:

Latest changes on Experimental (27/07):

Fixed an issue that will restore more savegames for players who saved with partially repaired tech.
Fixed an issue where players who had partially repaired a piece of broken technology would have an incorrect item in the repair interaction
Fixed an issue where players in underwater bases played the wrong animations
Fixed an issue where freighters incorrectly reported they did not have enough fuel to warp
Fixed a crash in the base-building system
Improved garbage collection and reduced memory footprint of physics
Prevented occasional crash in animation
Reduce memory footprint of planetary textures from space

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/1762481957315885908/

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

John F Bennett posted:

Why haven't you upgraded your jetpack yet? I can jet and sprint for miles. You should be able to do this within the first hour, they're pretty cheap.

I play on permadeath, nothing is cheap at all.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Stevefin posted:

How do I start that quest?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dont Touch ME posted:

I play on permadeath, nothing is cheap at all.

sup permadeath, buddy! Suffering is fun!

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

sup permadeath, buddy! Suffering is fun!

Damaged ships are literally only good to cheese as trades for actual functioning ships. :colbert:

The raw materials to fix your average busted ship are worth more than it would be to buy it straight up.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

John F Bennett posted:

How does one go about doing that?

Also I vaguely remember something about if you placed upgrades next to each other it boosted the whole?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If my primary interest atm is base building, what's the most efficient way to expand my structure options? I want to get as many pieces to mess with as possible before I start in on my base.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xilni posted:

How does one go about doing that?

The "purchase upgrades" option on station merchants. The rare S-class mods can give enormous multipliers to jetpack or sprint duration.

quote:

Also I vaguely remember something about if you placed upgrades next to each other it boosted the whole?

This is still true, related upgrades installed in cells next to each other will synergize and give a bigger bonus than if they had been installed somewhere else.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PantsBandit posted:

If my primary interest atm is base building, what's the most efficient way to expand my structure options? I want to get as many pieces to mess with as possible before I start in on my base.

Explore planets and look for buried tech modules, dig them up and feed the salvaged tech you get to a blueprint analyzer to unlock more base components to play with.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Broken Cog posted:

Explore planets and look for buried tech modules, dig them up and feed the salvaged tech you get to a blueprint analyzer to unlock more base components to play with.

Cool, thanks. I'm playing the game with a buddy of mine and we both really like the aspect of building a bad rear end home to come back to, terraria and starbound were great for that.

The building in this game seems a little janky so far but I'm still looking forward to seeing what we can come up with

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
How did they manage to add more content to the game while simultaneously making it more of a grind?

I'm going back to Elite.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Montalvo posted:

How did they manage to add more content to the game while simultaneously making it more of a grind?

I'm going back to Elite.

I switched to Creative mode and having much more fun. I miss the upgrade loop but it's really not worth the tedium and frustration of dealing with this game's resource system.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

PantsBandit posted:

The building in this game seems a little janky so far but I'm still looking forward to seeing what we can come up with

It's far superior than most other games when it comes to building. The only game I've ever seen that has absolutely slammed building was Wildstar.

That being said, I just feel like this game is so ... empty.

I sat down to play with a buddy last night and we cannot figure out what there really is to do. Once you've explored a little you've essentially done everything the game has to offer. There aren't any random dungeons offering loot or gear, there isn't any real progression. I can shoot my laser gun to make my laser gun shoot lasers better so that I can then shoot my laser gun to shoot my lasers better, or upgrade my ship so that I can better upgrade my ship, but beyond that there isn't much to DO in the game.

Following the mission / quests isn't conducive to multiplayer. Base building is... ok... but even that has its limits after a certain amount of time. It also requires some hefty farming which usually means you need to have expanded your backpack space, ship's capacity, etc. Which means more farming before you can really, truly farm.

Every. Planet. Feels. The. Same. Sure, they look thematically different, but a googly eye bouncing tree is the same as a giant ballsack tree is the same as a "terra" tree. That rock may look different, but it's still a rock and it'll still provide the same materials you need.

The space combat and space feel is lacking, too. And I am incredibly annoyed by the police sentry force that warp tackles you without ANY REPRIEVE beyond ducking back into a planet. There should be mechanics based off of warp tackling, countering it, or being able to essentially evade or escape. Instead, it's a long and awkward chase that often leads to frustration. Kill one? Now you have two on you and your chances of dying have increased two fold. That's also because space combat is just awkward in general. Let's also not forget the AI's ability to hit you from nearly any position.

I've found that, despite how boring it might seem to have to go to and from the planet, being a pirate of varying frigates you find in space tends to be the most lucrative for me for now. Especially in repairing my ship. They have nearly everything I need but chlorine.

I just wish there was more to do. I wish there were ships that could allow for multiple people to be on board - my multiplayer friends manning the guns while I navigate us through 'roids after stealing some treasure, I wish there were dungeons filled with relics and old sentries or creatures that are bent on killing you, or that things in the game... mattered.

The game should have an auction house between players with the ability to craft and build varying modules and pieces to sell to other players. Materials should have a similar quality to what SWG had - where they have varying potencies as minerals that maybe you can seek out. Give them VARIANCE, FLAVOR and COLOR rather than just being "oh, another ferrite node." So maybe you have a reason to travel to another planet - you've scanned down a patch of ferrite that, once refined, will make some fantastic module pieces.

It just needs... more.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Montalvo posted:

I'm going back to Elite.

Well the game had no content so any new content-mechanic is going to be seen as more of a grind.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I switched to Creative mode and having much more fun. I miss the upgrade loop but it's really not worth the tedium and frustration of dealing with this game's resource system.

Do you still have to contend with non-passive sentinels? What are the major difference aside from unlimited resources?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Montalvo posted:

I'm going back to Elite.

Weirdly enough I see it the opposite. Sure things take more to do (repairing for example), but all of that work does lead somewhere now. It needs a few tweaks sure, but NMS finally has some sense of progression now instead of “cheese some cash and buy everything ASAP”

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Do you still have to contend with non-passive sentinels? What are the major difference aside from unlimited resources?

I haven't run into any sentinels yet, but I'm still in my starting system. In any case, in addition to having unlimited resources, you're invincible.

Which... now that I think about it, might make sentinels even more annoying.

So far the differences I've noticed are
- Unlimited resources (you can still gather, it's just that buying/building/exchanging doesn't subtract from your resources; this includes credits, nanites, everything as far as I can tell)
- All blueprints unlocked
- Invincible (the hazard, oxygen, and health indicators are altogether gone from the UI)
- No tutorial
- Atlas is disabled, but Artemis is in

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Does claiming the pre order ship still break the tutorial?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Retro42 posted:

Weirdly enough I see it the opposite. Sure things take more to do (repairing for example), but all of that work does lead somewhere now. It needs a few tweaks sure, but NMS finally has some sense of progression now instead of “cheese some cash and buy everything ASAP”

Maybe I just haven't progressed enough yet (I should probably try to find that free Freighter) but it doesn't feel like I'm getting anywhere. I'm on PS4 so I might try to dupe glitch myself a bunch of warp cells and go to some other far flung corner of the galaxy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is there a way to turn the option on to only have my friends join my system instead of randos? Someone I don't know just joined my system. Or does that not even matter cause the system is so big?

edit: The guy who joined my system died lol

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 27, 2018

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

Macaluso posted:

Is there a way to turn the option on to only have my friends join my system instead of randos? Someone I don't know just joined my system. Or does that not even matter cause the system is so big?

edit: The guy who joined my system died lol

Joining your system is not the same as joining your game. I think randos can stumble across you. Especially the further in you get.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Rocket launchers on your ship are a huge help if you want to end encounters quickly

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I found a bunch of Vortex cubes in a cave on my second planet, but it's a toxic dickscape where I can't stay outside for more than six minutes, and the cave has poison puffballs that chew through my hazard and into my health. Is it worth it hunting around for more cubes?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Anasurimbur posted:

Joining your system is not the same as joining your game. I think randos can stumble across you. Especially the further in you get.

He's currently discovering things in my system. If he discovered something before I get to it, do I lose out on the money from discovering it in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

He's currently discovering things in my system. If he discovered something before I get to it, do I lose out on the money from discovering it in the future?

You still get paid for re-discovering the same things but you may lose naming rights if he uploads it first.