Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Tournament Report: 6 round modern event with KCI combo

Oh this was a fun event. I made some stupid mistakes, one of which cost me a match, and one of which almost got me DQ'd!

My list. https://deckbox.org/sets/2070860

Of note, I played 1 Aetherflux Reservoir main, because it sounded fun, and 1 Emrakul side because I'm average (at best!) at this game and wanted EZ wins.

Rd1 Mirror match (2-0)

Of course I start out with a mirror. My opponent won the die role, so I figured I was dead. Especially in G1 you have no real interaction for each other, except to spellbomb a Scrap Trawler to slow your opponent down a turn. My opponent however did not get the combo off before I could, so I felt like I stole a game on the draw. Game 2, sided in some nature's claims. My opponent was doing better, he got to a point where he had Scrap Trawler, KCI, and Myr Retriever in play. He sacced KCI and Myr, selected 2 Chromatic Star's and a Mox Opal to return to his hand. He goes "I have a loop" I said, well you do, but you returned the wrong cards to hand. He did not understand, and I explained a bit, as it turns out this was his first time playing the deck and he didn't 100% understand all the interactions. After I explained how he needed to use the Myr trigger to return KCI, the Trawler trigger from KCI to get back the Myr, and then he gets to pick up a 1 or 0 with the Trawler trigger from the Myr, he scooped. I had the combo for next turn anyway.

Rd2 Counters Company (1-2)

Sigh. Get matched up against my friend that I rode with. Yuck. We took turns combo'ing each other out. I got him 2-1. But I'm a terrible player and so I ended up filling out the match slip 1-2. We didn't notice until after round 3 was over. At least I gave a free win to my friend. Honestly I wasn't upset, It was such a funny me mistake. Doing well at a tournament? Spew equity by not filling out a match slip correctly.

Rd3 Bogles (2-0)

I was excited to see this match. Game 1 I felt really favored, they'd have to have a crazy fast start to get me before I could go off. I was correct, and combo'd them off. Sideboard in 4 Nature's Claim. My opener was really good, I had a claim, an EE, and some cantrips and lands. He went T1 bogle, T2 stony which I blew away instantly. He played a few 1 CMC aura's and a 2nd bogle, I wiped his board with EE. He played a RIP which stuck for a while while I found another EE. He had no pressure so I just played draw go for abit to get what I needed then combo'd again.

Rd4 GB Rock

I'm 2-1 so far and feeling really good. I'm playing well and aside from my silly match slip mistake the day is great. My friend is 3-0. G1 against the Rock he lands and early scooze which is bad, but I haven't put a bunch of stuff in my GY yet, so I just get an EE, clear the way and combo him out. G2 he overwhelms me with LOTV and discard value after I mulled to 5. G3 is tight, he's putting me under a lot of pressure and has an LOTV. I have an Emrakul in hand, and I need to not lose it. We get to a point where I'm going to lose next turn unless I cast Emrakul. I am 2 mana short. I really need a 0cmc artifact. I sac an Ichor Wellspring, rip EE, slam it to sac it, and win on the back of a hard cast Emrakul.

Rd5 Living End

I was not prepared for this. My opponent told me he was on "bad ponza" and proceeded to Ingot Chewer an artifact, then Fulminator two lands. I still hung in there and combo'd him out. He never drew a cascade spell basically. He showed me a Living End after G1 and thats when it dawned on me he was not in fact on some Ponza brew. What can I say, I'm dense. So G2 and G3 I didn't know what to expect or do vs him, he Ingot Chewer and Shriekmaw'd me long enough to violent outburst a million dudes and I lost. This also almost certainly killed my chances at top 8 as I'd probably end up 9th or 10th if I won round 6. Ah well. My friend was still 4-0 and going to double draw in to T8 so at least my earlier mistake paid off for him.

Rd6 Drazi and Taxes (0-2)

So the real meat of the tale is here. I made a terrible mistake in G1 and honestly probably should have been DQ'd. So my opponent opens up with Gemstone Cavern T1 monkey mana Thalia. UGH. However he didn't find a lot of pressure early allowing me to play out lands and cantrips slowly so I had a board state. I drew my single spellbomb, and I think I killed on Thalia with it only to have him replace her. He was pressuring my life total slowly but surely, and we get to the board state where I hosed up badly. I have two Scrap Trawlers out. I need to kill Thalia to go off. At some point I had via a Trawler trigger gotten Spellbomb to hand. My opponent plays a Thought-Knot Seer and exiles it. I played another Trawler. He attacks with Displacer, Thalia, and TKS. I double block Thalia, he flickers one of my Trawlers, the other dies. Two triggers, I pick up Spellbomb and s Chromatic Star. I don't recall if I simply hadn't had spellbomb positioned in a way that it was clearly exiled, or if I did but was just mentally focused on the line to win was pick it up, nuke Thalia, go off. I have a very bad tendancy to get tunnel vision and become blind to lines of play other than the one I think is right. That is what happened here, and a detail like my Spellbomb was exiled didn't register. My opponent saw me pick it up, didn't say anything either. So I untapped, played it, killed Thalia, then started comboing off. At some point my opponent realizes I picked up the Spellbomb from exile. I look at the board state and realized he was correct. I said something like "ugh yeah you're right" and called over a judge. I was trying to work out what exactly had happened, my opponent got very animated and agitated (rightfully so) but he was talking fast and aggresively disputing what I was saying even though I was essentially saying (yes I had put an exiled card into my hand) he was essentially arguing about what turned it happend on. So the judge realized this was all messed up. He talked to us individually, my opponent first. While my opponent was gone, I pieced together the events that lead to the card getting into my hand. I told the judge exactly what I posted here. He then went to talk to the owner to figure out how to deal with this. While he did I told my opponent, that if it was going to end up only being a warning for Failure to maintain gamestate or something since it couldn't be fixed, I'd concede this match to him. I made an error, he had me. He was relieved at that and calmed down a bit.

So the judge and owner pull us out to dicuss. They tell us they're going to call the match a draw and give us each a game loss. The owner says and points at my opponent, I could DQ you and my oppnent starts getting very upset gain (again rightfully so) the owner was just confused about who was who in the scenario. I quickly spoke up and said "I'm the one who made the error, don't give my opponent a game loss give me a game loss and a warning and lets just go to g2." By this point I felt terrible and my opponent was upset and I just wanted him to relax and to get this match over with. Truth is I had lost that match if not for that mistake. The judge and owner were really happy that I took ownership of the error and we continued. My opponent proceeded to stomp me super fast in G2 and won. But just to make sure he eternally regarded me as a scumbag forever, I somehow filled out the loving match slip wrong AGAIN and my opponent signed it. Thankfully one of my friends was like "dude you just filled this out wrong again" Everyone laughed but honestly at this point I probably would have tried to get me DQ'd if I were on the other side of the table.

The judge pulled me aside afterward and thanked me for taking ownership of the mistake and taking the game loss. I was relieved he saw it that way. I hung around the store because my friend made top 8, and as I sat there I thought hard about talking to the judge again. My actions while truly the actions of an idiot, but from a slight change of intent could be cheating. I think this is why cheating is, perhaps not rampant, but hard to catch in Magic. People are probably too forgiving. The judge should have honestly at least given me a warning and Game Loss, and when I hosed the match slip up he probably should have DQ'd me last round or not. The only difference between a smooth cheater and an idiot is intent. I hosed up, and did what I could to make it right. But someone caught cheating would probably do something similar. I ultimately did not go tell the judge he should have punished me harder because I could have been an intentional cheater because I'd rather he and the store owner think of my as an idiot who will own up to his blunders than view me as someone who probably tried to cheat but got caught. However, I really feel that he should have taken further actions for the good of the game overall. He let me off too lightly.

I'm not sure if I'd run KCI back again. It is a hard deck to play. My round 3 and 4 opponents both complimented me on my technical play, which was great. I'm pretty sure that I put all my mental effort into playing the deck well and that is why I made all the stupid mistakes I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Your opponent shouldn’t have let you return the spellbomb and that seems worth a warning to her for failing to maintain the game state, at least. But I’m not a judge. Anyway, even if you make a huge mistake, never let your opponent’s reaction affect how the judge call goes. Let the judge make the ruling based on the rules that both players have to follow, using the facts of the situation. People who get agitated during judge calls shouldn’t be playing competitive magic imo.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Time for my own report on a 6 round pptq this weekend. Spoiler alert, I went 3-1-2 playing UW miracle control, but I promise it wasn't a slow play issue on my part.

R1: Infect 2-0

This was a pretty short and sweet match. Game 1, I mulled to 6 and scryed a path to the top because my hand didn't have any removal and I wasn't sure what my opponent was on. I path a turn 1 glistener elf, he doesn't find another infect threat for quite a few more turns and by the time he does I've sculpted my hand so that none of them resolve or live. He scoops to me casting Jace after I already have Teferi out, clean victory and game 1 ended without either of us taking any damage or poison. Game 2 we both keep 7 cards and I don't have any removal but plenty of cantripping along with a dispel. He plays a t1 noble, t2 blighted agent with mana up. I play a second untapped land hoping to Opt into an answer on his turn. He gets in 2 infect, then taps out to play a Geist of St. Traft. I opt EoT, don't see a terminus, untap and... draw terminus. The game pretty much ends there, I counter every other attempt at casting an infecter he makes, and have enough field of ruins and a ghost quarter to deal with the inkmoth nexus he finds. I end up both ultimating Jace and attacking him with 3 angels to win.

R2: Dredge 1-1 draw

This is a miserable matchup that I didn't expect to see at all. Game 1 my hand is reasonable against most decks but not dredge, so I stumble around and manage to keep myself alive for longer than I should have been able to. Ultimately I can't find a terminus at a key point and he unearths a flayer to get a kill in one attack step. The game somehow took half the round time though since I managed to keep myself alive. Game 2 I mulliganed to 5 and kept a no-land hand on the play (!!!) scrying a non-land to the bottom. The hand had RiP, opt, path, and two other things I can't remember. I somehow draw colonnade into 2 more lands, slam a rip to exile a bunch of stuff that immediately gets nature's claimed, and then drag this game on way longer than I had any right to. Thanks to some well timed paths and terminus, and a runed halo naming prized amalgam, I durdle long enough to ultimate Teferi and then slam Jace, closing the game up right before turns start and we have to draw. This would have never happened if my opponent had realized that runed halo only protects me, not Teferi, so he never attacked Tef with his amalgams. I'm happy I even got a point instead of just losing outright.

R3: Hollow One 2-1

Another terrible matchup, which my opponent was happy to mention several times up until he lost. Game 1 we keep seven and he doesn't have the burning inquiry. To his amazement, I use some well placed paths and board wipes to keep myself alive and then slowly lock the game up and miracle an entreat for 5 angels. Game 2 he does silly hollow one things, inquiry has me discarding RiP and path, I can't deal with everything in a timely manner, and a relatively normal hollow one plan takes me out pretty fast. Game 3 is interesting though. He loots a ton, but never finds any good gas. I keep every 4 power or higher dude he has off the board so he never gets to use his discarded flamewake phoenixes. Eventually they all get exiled anyway so I let him keep a hollow one, but find a runed halo to name it with. He gets me all the way down to 3 with a single bloodghast, meanwhile I have used field of ruin as a strip mine repeatedly thanks to having gotten all of his basics early with paths. I actually ghost quarter his only swamp as well, leaving him with 3 mountains in play. He tries to faithless looting in a late turn where he is topdecking, and I counter it/bounce bloodghast with cryptic, stranding it in his hand. Two turns with a colonnade finishes the game off at that point thanks to me having a mana leak in hand for a bolt if he draws it, leaving my opponent looking very disappointed that he lost a good matchup. Another opponent who also didn't realize that he can attack my planeswalkers with a creature named by runed halo as well, he never pressured my teferi with his hollow one and made the victory that much easier for me.

R4: Affinity 2-0

Fastest round of the day. He has a start that isn't too terribly explosive, I find some well timed removal into terminus on his turn to remove a manland. I play a jace, and then Teferi, and he scoops to the second planeswalker. Game 2 he mulligans to 5 and a slow 5 at that, and has no chance against my hand with removal, counters, and eventually a stony silence. I land a jace and fateseal him two turns in a row and then he scoops.

R5: UW control mirror 1-1-1

This sucked. I went into the round feeling pretty good at 3-0-1 knowing it was only a six round event and a win would lock me into top 8. I don't remember all of the details of this match, it was long and extremely tiring. I remember I won game one because I had more answers and was able to stick my planeswalkers better than he was, so he scooped instead of wasting time. Game 2 was the same way, once I ran out of answer and kept drawing my bad cards, he landed his walkers and I scooped after 2 turns. I made a sideboarding mistake and left 2 of the 3 terminus in my deck and of course I drew both of them while he drew gas. Fixed my deck game 3 and boarded in an extra threat with the Lyra since I knew I would have to play fast. The game goes long and back and forth and I have a giant advantage on board because I've managed to stick both jace and Teferi. He knows he's at risk of losing, so plays entirely for the draw. This sucks, because we are both 3-0-1, and if we draw we both have to play for top 8 instead of just one of us for getting a loss. I think he thought us drawing meant we had an outside chance of drawing again and getting into t8 with 3-0-3, which was definitely not the case. We get to turns and I go on an offensive with snapcaster and colonnades. On turn 3, I make the biggest and only real major punt of the day I can remember: I don't field of ruins his own field before activating my colonnade and going to attacks. I had more colonnades I could have activated had I forced the action. Had I done this, then on turn 5 I would have had lethal damage and locked myself into top 8. What actually happened was that I was 1 land short of activating 2 colonnades on turn 5, leaving me ONE point of damage short of lethal. Apparently everyone else observing noticed what I didn't at the time. I got tunnel visioned and absolutely should have forced myself to stop, breathe, and reevaluate the board state since we were already in turns. I'm still kicking myself for making such a bad mistake in an otherwise strong day of gameplay.

R6: UR pyro/thing 1-2

Sad story ends here. Kicking myself over my punt last game still, I manage to win game 1 against this UR pyro/titi tempo deck by having 3x path and a snap, followed up by jace. Game 2 goes worse, with him tempoing me out with a solid series of counters while having a pyromancer out, closing with bolt snap bolt the turn before I can attempt to land Lyra Dawnbringer. Game 3 is worse, with me missing land drops 4 turns in a row. I attempt to claw my way back into the game but I'm down to 4 by the time this happens. He's topdecking, but he disdainful strokes the jace I needed to bounce a threat, remands timely, draws into logic knot for the timely, and then has snap-stroke for Lyra when I finally go for it. A good series of topdecks, but to his credit he played well and made top 8.

Realistically, I only lost 1 game all day. I absolutely shouldn't have lost the mirror but I did and it's my own fault. I also was sad I ran out of time against dredge because the game 3 hand I drew was an absolute nutter for that matchup and I was confident in my ability to win had we more time. UW control is gas, t1, and absolutely the right choice for the weekend, my not making top 8 was my fault and not the fault of the deck. Only change I would make is that I had 2 damping sphere's in my sideboard. I didn't bring them in all day and honestly haven't brought them in locally in weeks, I'm not sure the deck really needs them. A second runed halo and a flex spot seems better at this point.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 23, 2018

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lawnie posted:

Your opponent shouldn’t have let you return the spellbomb and that seems worth a warning to her for failing to maintain the game state, at least. But I’m not a judge. Anyway, even if you make a huge mistake, never let your opponent’s reaction affect how the judge call goes. Let the judge make the ruling based on the rules that both players have to follow, using the facts of the situation. People who get agitated during judge calls shouldn’t be playing competitive magic imo.

Agree with you 100%. In good conscious I wasn't will to accept a game win, if we'd have continued the game state from where it was I was going to win, when I should not have. It was important to me, despite my opponent getting a bit more excited or agitated than he should have, to not be that guy who is trying to scum edges. I don't care that much about winning any game to be that guy.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Agree with you 100%. In good conscious I wasn't will to accept a game win, if we'd have continued the game state from where it was I was going to win, when I should not have. It was important to me, despite my opponent getting a bit more excited or agitated than he should have, to not be that guy who is trying to scum edges. I don't care that much about winning any game to be that guy.

It sounds like you were playing a pptq or something with stakes, though. At FNM level I absolutely would have scooped if I realized I made the mistake you did and was probably going to get away with it, but when you’re playing for something, you should play to win. I wouldn’t count it as “scumming an edge” unless you were a repeat offender. Basically, players make mistakes and the rules are there to resolve them as best as possible for all players. If the judge’s ruling ultimately leaves you with a chance to win the game, then you should take it imo. Your opponent might be salty but she likely wouldn’t give you the game in your shoes, either.

It’s like on mtgo when a player accidentally skips through their turn. If it was the MOCS, you probably wouldn’t skip your turn in return, or at least I wouldn’t.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

jassi007 posted:

The judge pulled me aside afterward and thanked me for taking ownership of the mistake and taking the game loss. I was relieved he saw it that way. I hung around the store because my friend made top 8, and as I sat there I thought hard about talking to the judge again. My actions while truly the actions of an idiot, but from a slight change of intent could be cheating. I think this is why cheating is, perhaps not rampant, but hard to catch in Magic. People are probably too forgiving. The judge should have honestly at least given me a warning and Game Loss, and when I hosed the match slip up he probably should have DQ'd me last round or not. The only difference between a smooth cheater and an idiot is intent. I hosed up, and did what I could to make it right. But someone caught cheating would probably do something similar. I ultimately did not go tell the judge he should have punished me harder because I could have been an intentional cheater because I'd rather he and the store owner think of my as an idiot who will own up to his blunders than view me as someone who probably tried to cheat but got caught. However, I really feel that he should have taken further actions for the good of the game overall. He let me off too lightly.
So, there are a few things here. First, you’ll never get a Warning and a Game Loss for the same penalty—it’s a one or the other deal. Second, if you weren’t cheating, there’s no DQ here. Judges have a lot of latitude on determining cheating, but it sounds like they made the right call here. Third, filling out a match slip wrong isn’t a penalty on its own—if you were doing it on purpose that would be cheating, but if you’re just dumb then we ask you and your opponent to be more careful next time.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lawnie posted:

It sounds like you were playing a pptq or something with stakes, though. At FNM level I absolutely would have scooped if I realized I made the mistake you did and was probably going to get away with it, but when you’re playing for something, you should play to win. I wouldn’t count it as “scumming an edge” unless you were a repeat offender. Basically, players make mistakes and the rules are there to resolve them as best as possible for all players. If the judge’s ruling ultimately leaves you with a chance to win the game, then you should take it imo. Your opponent might be salty but she likely wouldn’t give you the game in your shoes, either.

It’s like on mtgo when a player accidentally skips through their turn. If it was the MOCS, you probably wouldn’t skip your turn in return, or at least I wouldn’t.

It was a modern $1k event, I was 3-2 and outside shot for top 8. Likely my match would place me 9th or 10th (it was 9th). I do understand what you mean, but I guess to me having a reputation at a store I intend to visit frequently as the guy who owned up to his mistake and didn't see the guy who essentially F6'd through a KCI players turn get a penalty. I know I made the error, sure my opponent has the obligation to maintain the game state. He should have noticed it, told me to stop, and called a judge. However I know it would ruin my day to lose a game, and possibly a match that I should have won due to someone else taking an illegal game action and it being all on me to catch it. I know I'm not 100% vigilant watching my opponent. I should be, but I'm not. I'm not saying there is no amount of prize money that could have made me act differently, but that number is well above what this event was worth. I primarily go to these $1k's to hang out with my friends for a day, play a lot of modern, then eat some good sushi afterward. I was more upset at myself, for playing poorly and making my opponent who just wanted to have a clean shot to win his match sweat about whether or not he'd get that.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

It was a modern $1k event, I was 3-2 and outside shot for top 8. Likely my match would place me 9th or 10th (it was 9th). I do understand what you mean, but I guess to me having a reputation at a store I intend to visit frequently as the guy who owned up to his mistake and didn't see the guy who essentially F6'd through a KCI players turn get a penalty. I know I made the error, sure my opponent has the obligation to maintain the game state. He should have noticed it, told me to stop, and called a judge. However I know it would ruin my day to lose a game, and possibly a match that I should have won due to someone else taking an illegal game action and it being all on me to catch it. I know I'm not 100% vigilant watching my opponent. I should be, but I'm not. I'm not saying there is no amount of prize money that could have made me act differently, but that number is well above what this event was worth. I primarily go to these $1k's to hang out with my friends for a day, play a lot of modern, then eat some good sushi afterward. I was more upset at myself, for playing poorly and making my opponent who just wanted to have a clean shot to win his match sweat about whether or not he'd get that.

I think those are perfectly good reasons to be nice, and it’s good to have a good reputation in your local store. Definitely appreciate wanting the other players not to feel uncomfortable. Were I in your shoes, I’d probably have tried to make it a “nice” interaction, too.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Just to put it out there, FtMGS Warnings don’t upgrade. They are only there to assist investigations if someone has a pattern of only failing to maintain when it benefits them-aka cheating.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i think jassi should be barred from all future magic events, and further, be stone-cold stunnered by "Stone Cold" Steve Austin through card tables until dead.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i think jassi should be barred from all future magic events, and further, be stone-cold stunnered by "Stone Cold" Steve Austin through card tables until dead.

TBF that's the ultimate fate of all Magic players

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ahem. wrestling avatar guy here to tell you doing a stunner through the table makes it worse on the attacker not the target. thanks.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
first bant spirits gauntlet video is up vs jeskai control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GyjugdUDwY

some bad misplays on both sides though.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

AkumaHokoru posted:

Ahem. wrestling avatar guy here to tell you doing a stunner through the table makes it worse on the attacker not the target. thanks.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Wrestling Guy here saying yeah? and?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

honestly I just like looking at that picture.

for content: someone on MODO stole my HOT technology of playing reanimates in UBx Death's Shadow. Has anyone else had luck with value reanimates in other archetypes? It seems great, but I see it so rarely.

e: to clarify, I don't mean, like, you were playing reanimator and reanimated an opponent's tarmogoyf and killed them. Those reanimates were in your deck to make flying lifelinking Necropotences.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mezzanon posted:

first bant spirits gauntlet video is up vs jeskai control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GyjugdUDwY

some bad misplays on both sides though.

misplays or not bant spirits seems pretty good here, coco in particular seems disgusting in this deck and can effectively act as a counterspells with the ability to pull drogskol captains, rattlechains, selfless spirits, and, of course, spell quellers off the top.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

honestly I just like looking at that picture.

for content: someone on MODO stole my HOT technology of playing reanimates in UBx Death's Shadow. Has anyone else had luck with value reanimates in other archetypes? It seems great, but I see it so rarely.

e: to clarify, I don't mean, like, you were playing reanimator and reanimated an opponent's tarmogoyf and killed them. Those reanimates were in your deck to make flying lifelinking Necropotences.

My friend is playing it in RB Painter along with Entomb, Goblin Welder, and Battleball. It sounds right up your alley.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

AnEdgelord posted:

misplays or not bant spirits seems pretty good here, coco in particular seems disgusting in this deck and can effectively act as a counterspells with the ability to pull drogskol captains, rattlechains, selfless spirits, and, of course, spell quellers off the top.

Today is the humans matchup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZBKFbqRd2U

Edit: Spirits is 2-0 against the field so far.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 24, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Today is Bant Spirits vs U/R Gifts Storm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHSDK_KhafM

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mezzanon posted:

Today is Bant Spirits vs U/R Gifts Storm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHSDK_KhafM

I don't get why they aren't using fetchless storm here.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

so they can sell fetchlands

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't get why they aren't using fetchless storm here.

This video also shows why you should play eidolon of rhetoric over Thalia

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mezzanon posted:

This video also shows why you should play eidolon of rhetoric over Thalia

Also I agree with Todd Anderson's conclusion about keeping in coco but I dont know what else you take out instead.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

AnEdgelord posted:

Also I agree with Todd Anderson's conclusion about keeping in coco but I dont know what else you take out instead.

I've always taken out a few paths.

Today is against mono-green tron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQiCrNP0nyg

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mezzanon posted:

I've always taken out a few paths.

Today is against mono-green tron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQiCrNP0nyg

drat this looked bad for spirits. Not too surprising though because Tron has a habit of embarrassing their opponent in their good matchups.

The KCI matchup is the one i'm most interested in and I want to see how it plays out tomorrow.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

AnEdgelord posted:

drat this looked bad for spirits. Not too surprising though because Tron has a habit of embarrassing their opponent in their good matchups.

The KCI matchup is the one i'm most interested in and I want to see how it plays out tomorrow.

tron is about 50/50 for spirits, but yeah tron has a habit of dunking on decks when it gets early tron going, and resolves ugin.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This took a couple of years, but I've got a playset of every fetchland and shockland now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

This took a couple of years, but I've got a playset of every fetchland and shockland now.

You need to swap the positions of your Tarns and Pools :v: That' seriously impressive regardless.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

You need to swap the positions of your Tarns and Pools :v: That' seriously impressive regardless.

Oh poo poo. That took too long to set up and the best I got was an oval.

There's eight mega cycles of rare dual lands in the format. I'm getting pretty close to finishing the whole set of manlands and fastlands, so I think I'll do those next.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
How many non-Opal artifacts (CMC <=1) do you need to run in a Modern deck to make Opal worth it?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I'm thinking about getting into Modern. What's a good deck for a starter? I have access to all the staples, I'm looking for a rec on a deck that will be reasonably simple to play and will help me learn the format.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Grifter posted:

I'm thinking about getting into Modern. What's a good deck for a starter? I have access to all the staples, I'm looking for a rec on a deck that will be reasonably simple to play and will help me learn the format.

Do you want to have to think a little about your role in the game, when to turn a corner, etc etc, or just do the same thing in 90% of your games?

I'd honestly suggest a midrange deck to learn the format but only mardu pyromancer is particularly good. Jund can actually play the aggressor better than Mardu but it's expensive and not that well-positioned. Mardu is also somewhat challenging to play.

Humans is a disruptive aggro deck that is probably one of the top 3 decks in the format. It's not that cheap and is probably somewhat challenging, especially if your combat math skills aren't a forte.

For a good linear game plan deck I guess I'd put them in order from most easy to least easy at something like: Burn, Hollow One, Infect, Affinity.

gently caress control decks.

Big Mana is kind of your last big bucket option and only Tron is top tier. It's a great deck to own but I wouldn't suggest it for your only deck at first.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
IMO starting with hollow one will teach some bad habits if it's your first modern deck because of the variance in the cards. Infect, storm, and burn are probably the cheapest competitive decks? Control is tier 1 at the moment but a really terrible idea if you're just breaking into the format. Tron is good and pretty easy to learn but has no overlap with other decks. Eldrazi tron is probably a good option as well, it's midrange and can be pretty aggressive. Scapeshift is mostly a goldfishing combo deck that is pretty decent and recently got a bit cheaper with the scapeshift reprint too, that deck probably isn't too expensive comparatively.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Grifter posted:

KCI :getin:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Control is a really terrible idea if you're into the format.

Agreed

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sounds like somebody got blown out one time too many

Any deck that make sure I am getting my money's worth out of every round and also play 8 basics, is a deck I want to play.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
the SCG vs video for bant spirits today is against KCI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ7gBzM0_OA

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Do you want to have to think a little about your role in the game, when to turn a corner, etc etc, or just do the same thing in 90% of your games?

I'd honestly suggest a midrange deck to learn the format but only mardu pyromancer is particularly good. Jund can actually play the aggressor better than Mardu but it's expensive and not that well-positioned. Mardu is also somewhat challenging to play.

Humans is a disruptive aggro deck that is probably one of the top 3 decks in the format. It's not that cheap and is probably somewhat challenging, especially if your combat math skills aren't a forte.

For a good linear game plan deck I guess I'd put them in order from most easy to least easy at something like: Burn, Hollow One, Infect, Affinity.

gently caress control decks.

Big Mana is kind of your last big bucket option and only Tron is top tier. It's a great deck to own but I wouldn't suggest it for your only deck at first.

I keep looking at my pile of Mardu Pyromancer cards and keep wondering if $200 for a playset of Blackcleave Cliffs is worth it. Other than that I have the entire deck, and the OCD part of my brain wants to put together a RB deck now that I have a Bant list locked down for the time being.

E: I'd probably start with some sort of straightforward aggro or midrange deck if I was just getting into the format. Burn might not be a bad choice since it's never not playable but some people will automatically look down on you for playing it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Grifter posted:

What is your playstyle? Knowing what you like to do will help narrow it down.