Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phy posted:

I found a bunch of Vortex cubes in a cave on my second planet, but it's a toxic dickscape where I can't stay outside for more than six minutes, and the cave has poison puffballs that chew through my hazard and into my health. Is it worth it hunting around for more cubes?

You can shoot the puffballs, you know? Just get a distance from them so they don't affect you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Also make sure to scan caves a lot. Those puffballs and other hazards will always be highlighted with a bright red exclamation mark.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

big nipples big life posted:

Does claiming the pre order ship still break the tutorial?

I grabbed my preorder ship right when I got my first ship. The tutorial worked after that - it sent me to some random dude who gave me the antimatter recipe for reasons unknown to even him. So, I did not get stuck, even if it was a bit silly. Maybe it's like that either way.

I ended up getting sick of some crap and used a save game editor to give me a multitool I'm happy with as well as enough cash to buy one good ship. I want the rest of the game without having to be distracted with spending ages grinding cash over and over again just to get a ship that I don't feel I need to replace immediately even if scanning is really lucrative.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Did the method for getting Atlas Passes change in NEXT? Polo just offered me three different types of upgrades . . .

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
God, the way ships are managed is really dogshit. What's the best method to swap out a salvaged junker for someone else's ship in a space station? The only way I managed it so far was to summon one at my base to make it my "primary" ship, then take the teleporter to a station where I conveniently found a ship that I wanted and was able to trade it. Is there really no way to just use another ship in your inventory for a trade?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

emdash posted:

Did the method for getting Atlas Passes change in NEXT? Polo just offered me three different types of upgrades . . .

He gave me the V1 pass after the second or third milestone completion after getting and upgrade.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Phy posted:

I found a bunch of Vortex cubes in a cave on my second planet, but it's a toxic dickscape where I can't stay outside for more than six minutes, and the cave has poison puffballs that chew through my hazard and into my health. Is it worth it hunting around for more cubes?

My starting planet is the same, extreme radiation and poisonous flora. But yeah, I found a bunch of those vortex cubes and TetraCobalt in the caves. It's worth it if you like credits.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Seems like the 1.51 patch is up for PS4 as well, probably Xbox too then.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The promise of weekly content gives me hope. The game really needs dungeons, maybe some wars to join in on in certain systems, perhaps some community collection goals like Elite does to get everyone working together (or against each other). Raid bosses, maybe?

It's weird. The game is complete now, but isn't at the same time. The updates seem to just add more grind. I was pretty self-sufficient in Year 1 and was comfortable with the grind, but they're asking for even "more" menu bumbling and building a 'thing' to get another 'thing', which invariably requires 4 more 'things'. Maybe the guy here who is about to go all in on Creative has something here. This is a walking simulator with random bits of grind and unintuitive menus to add 'game-iness' to the experience. People are saying without those things, the game is basically an interactive painting. But, maybe being an interactive painting is what this game is kinda made to be. I'm definitely annoyed by the grindy bits and working through the story isn't exactly a compelling reason to fight through it.

*makes new save, selects Creative Mode*

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
1.51 just patched on my PS4 and loading either of my 1.5 saves just starts me off on a random planet as if it was a new game.

And I agree with whoever said it, this version somehow seems a lot more grindy than Foundation or whichever one put in the stories. The balance between gathering rates, building costs, fueling stuff, and the continuous game of inventory management and expansion just seems way off.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

[the balance] just seems way off.

Yeah, that's basically the issue. Year 1 NMS was definitely not as impressive, but had a manageable grind once you got used to it. They're asking way too much now. The current game with the original level of grind would be perfect because it wasn't 'this' bad then. I see a balance patch in the near future since the company seems keen on listening to fans and righting perceived wrongs. Adding more of an incentive to fight through it all besides a story mode that a lot of people probably aren't even really playing the game for would make things better. As I said before, procedurally generated dungeons (maybe even not available on creative) would be a big hit here.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Uh I like... transferred stuff to a crashed ship to see what would happen and now I'm just stuck with a busted ship and none of my ship parts I had of my old ship are there anymore. What... do I do

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Is there any point to scanning from your ship while in atmosphere now? Most of the things I'd expect my ship to scan have been moved to the analysis visor, which is fine but that kind of stinks that you have basically no way of finding locations without spotting them or landing and deploying a signal booster.

Seriously is there like an upgrade module or something that makes it functional?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The sentinels can gently caress right off. "Passive" or the other ones that make them sound rare just mean they won't attack you if you're standing still. They still will beat the poo poo out of you on passive planets for mining a rock and there doesn't seem to be any way away from the outside of digging a tunnel and hiding (and sealing it up sometimes) or ducking into a building. If you leave the planet while still wanted by sentinels you're just hosed until you get back to a planet and duck into a building. That is dumb and I don't remember the game being like that at launch. "Passive" sentinels should ignore you completely no matter what you do unless you shoot them or some poo poo. Plus you're pretty much 100% guaranteed a sentinel right on top of you no matter the level the first time you land on a planet so if you landed to get stuff for launch fuel you have to run far enough away to mine it or you end up in a battle.

Tone them the gently caress down.

Edit: ^^^^ I also want to know that. It seems useless except for in space for distant planet type scans.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

This. They are everywhere and loving annoying.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zebez posted:

This. They are everywhere and loving annoying.

I just had to alt-f4 in space after sentinel ships attacked me multiple hours from every planet

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

shortspecialbus posted:

:same:

I played for the first time in over a year and my gear is all obsolete. Fine, I spent 2 hours pulling it apart, buying blueprints, gathering crap and finally building mods. I kept the same 24 slot tool I had though but it says 500 damage on the info page. I tried it on some sentinals, it used to smoke the little ones in seconds but now it takes a full clip and a half to kill one? The dogs just laugh and my plasma grenades bounce all over the loving place now too.

The grind for materials along with forcing these damned things down your throat constantly and not being able to slap the fuckers down. It's like they're determined to force players away. I don't have hours a day to fight running battles for a few scraps of carbon.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Anyone else with a GTX 1070 playing this at 144hz/1440p? What settings are you playing at? I had to install a no fade-in mod which actually improved frames by a whole bunch. I was just hoping my PC could get +100FPS on this. i7 8700 non-k if it helps.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Azhais posted:

I just had to alt-f4 in space after sentinel ships attacked me multiple hours from every planet

I flew for 20 minutes at full impulse to get to the space station last night with a sentinel ship chasing me the entire time.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

shortspecialbus posted:

The sentinels can gently caress right off. "Passive" or the other ones that make them sound rare just mean they won't attack you if you're standing still. They still will beat the poo poo out of you on passive planets for mining a rock and there doesn't seem to be any way away from the outside of digging a tunnel and hiding (and sealing it up sometimes) or ducking into a building. If you leave the planet while still wanted by sentinels you're just hosed until you get back to a planet and duck into a building. That is dumb and I don't remember the game being like that at launch. "Passive" sentinels should ignore you completely no matter what you do unless you shoot them or some poo poo. Plus you're pretty much 100% guaranteed a sentinel right on top of you no matter the level the first time you land on a planet so if you landed to get stuff for launch fuel you have to run far enough away to mine it or you end up in a battle.

Edit: ^^^^ I also want to know that. It seems useless except for in space for distant planet type scans.

Sentinels in 1.5.0 can follow my steps while I am in a cave and won't bugger off. I am installing the patch right now.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

shortspecialbus posted:

Still relevant:

EDIT:

f#a# posted:

Is there any point to scanning from your ship while in atmosphere now? Most of the things I'd expect my ship to scan have been moved to the analysis visor, which is fine but that kind of stinks that you have basically no way of finding locations without spotting them or landing and deploying a signal booster.

Seriously is there like an upgrade module or something that makes it functional?

I've found that scanning in atmo still puts nearby landmarks on my HUD. Most of the time they're mineral deposits but occasionally I'll see the blue "unknown building" icon as well.

3 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 27, 2018

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Any tips for getting the components for the warp battery thing? I think the description for the housing says oxygen and dust, and the antimatter is chromatic metal and something but it’s not telling me how much I need to make them. It also claims the housing can be purchased.

In more happy news I hope I find a system with loads of animals soon as I got one of the 1000%+ scanner upgrades and big creatures are like 16k.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 27, 2018

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
You can pin a recipe. Then press left on dpad and it will list how much of each material you need.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Everyone is aware of the little sentinel icon thing in the lower right corner right? If it shows up at all it means a sentinel can see you and might not like what your doing. If the icon isn't there you can burn the world down without them caring. The only exceptions is certain items (Gravitino Balls/etc) will trigger an alert no matter what.

Story chat:
My understanding is Sentinels are the protectors of this particular virtual reality and don't appreciate your random rear end wandering in and messing things up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I helped out a dude that was dying and he gave me his multitool that was a significant upgrade. Awesome.

Except noen of my upgrades carried over, all but one of the slots are damaged and require TONS of chromatic metal to clear, I cannot install my mining tool anymore and I can't revert back to my old tool.

I'm really trying to enjoy you, NMS. Stop getting in my way!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Anime_Otaku posted:

Any tips for getting the components for the warp battery thing? I think the description for the housing says oxygen and dust, and the antimatter is chromatic metal and something but it’s not telling me how much I need to make them. It also claims the housing can be purchased.

In more happy news I hope I find a system with loads of animals soon as I got one of the 1000%+ scanner upgrades and big creatures are like 16k.

If you go to a cell where you'd ordinarily be able to craft the item[1], in addition to 'make the drat thing already', there should be an option to 'pin' the thing, and then it'll be 'secondary quest' that clarifies exactly what you need, and how much. If I've completely missed the mark, and not been helpful at all, then sorry - I've spent a decent chunk of my time with 'New NMS' in various states of confusion (fun also, I swear!).

[1] So... It seems not all inventory slots are equal? Specifically, between Exosuit and ship? I was flat-out stuck at the point where I needed to make the 'housing' for warp stuff - it wasn't showing as a craftable option for me at all. And then, through random chance, hit the 'craft' option while in my ship inventory as opposed to my exosuit inventory - and lo and behold, there were slightly different crafting options.

To be sure, the NEXT update, for me at least, looks to be delivering on the potential that the game at launch hinted at the possibility of, but didn't deliver on. But holy hell it can be obtuse at times. (Though in its defense, *some* of this, at least, stemmed from needing to divest myself of preconceptions based on the original version of the game)

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

magimix posted:

[1] So... It seems not all inventory slots are equal? Specifically, between Exosuit and ship? I was flat-out stuck at the point where I needed to make the 'housing' for warp stuff - it wasn't showing as a craftable option for me at all. And then, through random chance, hit the 'craft' option while in my ship inventory as opposed to my exosuit inventory - and lo and behold, there were slightly different crafting options.

This right here is probably my issue, I was wandering around in a space station.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Macaluso posted:

Uh I like... transferred stuff to a crashed ship to see what would happen and now I'm just stuck with a busted ship and none of my ship parts I had of my old ship are there anymore. What... do I do

What you do depends on what exactly you've done and how long ago you did it. If by ship parts you mean, like, technologies, those were locked to your old ship and don't carry forward into new ships. That's usually offset by new ships having tech you don't need to research yourself.

If you literally just swapped ships at a crash site you should be able to hop back into your old ship and swap back. If you added the busted ship to your ship collection and then made it your primary, your old ship still exists but you need to call it from the X menu.

If you swapped ships and then left your old ship behind and flew off somewhere, then it's gone. It's not deleted or anything but it's a random ship on a random planet with no waymark, so I wouldn't get my hopes up tracking it down.

If you added both ships to your ship collection calling the newer, busted one can glitch out Call Ship in general (gives you a "cannot land here" message if you try to call a different ship). This is fixed by repairing the launch thruster and pulse engine of the new ship like you did for the starter ship. No need for a quest to track down a hermetic seal, fortunately, the recipe will now be in your crafting list.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

So I helped out a dude that was dying and he gave me his multitool that was a significant upgrade. Awesome.

Except noen of my upgrades carried over, all but one of the slots are damaged and require TONS of chromatic metal to clear, I cannot install my mining tool anymore and I can't revert back to my old tool.

I'm really trying to enjoy you, NMS. Stop getting in my way!

The tool is probably worth money even broken. Try getting to a station to trade it for a non-broken one.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Stevefin posted:

Those are just repeatable milestone quests, follow the Artemis and Apollo ones instead

Where are these? All I've got is Polo and I haven't turned anything down

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I had to bring my friend into my system to help me gather materials to fix the abandoned ship up I found because transferring stuff over just... deleted all the working ship parts I had for my starting ship. So that was pretty annoying. I got a dope ship now though that still needs to have a few repairs but I do need to get MORE microprocessors so I can build a new warp drive. Literally minutes after building the first one :mad:

Also re: Sentinals: gently caress OFF. I found these living plants that had pearls in them but if you took a pearl the loving things would just spawn out of thin air and send robots after me and they are a pain to escape from

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

shortspecialbus posted:

The sentinels can gently caress right off.

I'm really mystified by sentinels as a game mechanic. It seems like they're there to provide an "enemy" and allow for combat, but there's no way to win against them. Kill one and more, stronger ones just immediately teleport in, forever. It would make sense if you had to clear out sentinels that were guarding an especially valuable thingamabob, but there's no way to do that. They just permanently block off your ability to operate in certain areas. And yes, it was great to discover that they can phase straight through a mountain, so you can't even dig a tunnel to hide in.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
So has anyone gotten any of the ground vehicles yet? What do you have to do to unlock them?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:psyduck:

I landed on a spot where the story mission is, shot at a thing that turned out to be an egg and now hostile aliens keep popping out of the ground and they never stop spawning so I can't get close to the base. What do here??

edit: Okay I manged to get away form them enough to get them to stop spawning

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Macaluso posted:

:psyduck:

I landed on a spot where the story mission is, shot at a thing that turned out to be an egg and now hostile aliens keep popping out of the ground and they never stop spawning so I can't get close to the base. What do here??

They stop eventually, and can't climb. I just stood on the roof of the building and shot them

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Azhais posted:

can't climb

Yeah I thought that too until they started warping to the top of the rock tower that I built in order to try and snipe them.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

sentinels are a pain but the one plus for me is they’ve been pretty stupid and easy to shake. they don’t seem to want to go underground or underwater and they can’t fly very high so usually I just

1. dig a tunnel down and parallel to the surface and go down it. I don’t even cover the entrance up like people are saying, just deep enough they can’t see me

2. go in any structure if there’s one nearby

3. swim away underwater

4. get in my ship and fly away. sometimes I don’t even have to fly away and they just lose me if they don’t actually see me get into the ship, and I can just sit in the cockpit until they gently caress off. if not, just flying up a little and cruising a couple miles is usually enough to ditch them. just make sure you don’t leave the atmosphere, or they’ll summon the space sentinel ships and those things are a pain in the rear end

still loving obnoxious though, they need to do something about the spawn rate. or at least change it so they actually come from somewhere like somebody suggested, instead of just spawning right outside your FOV at all times

hope they fix the blueprint analyzer bug with existing saves. I’m in too deep down to start over and I don’t even know what the thing does but it sounds like I need it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think i'm going to work on a little quick-start guide that explains a bunch of poo poo that isn't explained/is poorly explained like i did for GTA.

so far i've got:

-The first freighter you save from pirates is given to you for free
-Broken ships you claim but don't repair appear on your freighter when you get one. You can trade them for working ships that land on your freighter
-Don't claim more than 8 additional broken ships or there is nowhere for new ships to land in your freighter to trade
-Multi-tool/suit/ship upgrades in the same category have to be touching for the effects to stack
-Stack 2 S-class scanner upgrades with your visor and scanner for a ~10,000% scanning bonus
-Fly backwards shoot forwards until you have a good fighting ship
-Build a base, slog through the specialist terminal stuff to get the exocraft. 50 minutes walking is 10 minutes by nomad and 1 minute by ship
-Buy an inventory slot at every station you go to, it's behind the left-most vendor on the right side of the station
-Collect a pile of missions from every station you can warp to and do them all at once. If you have 5 missions telling you to kill animals, or scan rocks, each one you kill/scan gives you credit for all 5 missions

What else should i add?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm really mystified by sentinels as a game mechanic. It seems like they're there to provide an "enemy" and allow for combat, but there's no way to win against them. Kill one and more, stronger ones just immediately teleport in, forever. It would make sense if you had to clear out sentinels that were guarding an especially valuable thingamabob, but there's no way to do that. They just permanently block off your ability to operate in certain areas. And yes, it was great to discover that they can phase straight through a mountain, so you can't even dig a tunnel to hide in.

That's odd. Before you used to be able to kill them and they stop spawning.

I haven't tried attacking them yet but if what you say is true that's hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Solvency posted:

So has anyone gotten any of the ground vehicles yet? What do you have to do to unlock them?

wondering this too. I finally figured out how to build a base and did that, only to discover you can’t loving delete communication stations and that I still don’t know how to build a landing pad or exocraft