Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was season six or season seven the one where they kill off a Sidney Bristow lookalike in a cold open because Alias had just started and people had been talking her up as a better female action hero than Buffy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

college Buffy media analysis class

Ugh, everything about that class was... off.

You don't say.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

You don't say.

In the surface, a class focusing deep media analysis on a specific TV show is actually a good idea, and Buffy is a solid choice of subject.

Unless your prof is simply obsessed with the show and then it becomes Whedon Worship Hour.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TatianaSiegel27/status/1022872270736433152

This is a big one. Farrow's the guy that broke the Weinstein story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lelandjs posted:

In the surface, a class focusing deep media analysis on a specific TV show is actually a good idea, and Buffy is a solid choice of subject.

Unless your prof is simply obsessed with the show and then it becomes Whedon Worship Hour.

I took a class in university on all that critical theory stuff and one of our regular tasks was to do some small exercise on the shared workspace each week before the tutorials, to get us thinking about the topic.

One week, the topic was "feminism". We were asked to present an image which we thought represented feminism and briefly explain why. I cannot remember what mine was, or what anyone else's was, with one exception, which was this big photograph of Joss Whedon. The professor was not especially impressed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Who was that guy looking for comedy shows before? I’d like to add Third Rock From the Sun to my recommendation. It’s definitely a 90’s sitcom but the first 2-3 seasons still hold up and are on Amazon Prime.

John Lithgow kind of just always acts the poo poo out of roles, it seems.

E:This Guy.

Metropolis posted:

Hey dudes and dudettes, what are some of the best comedy shows to come out in the past year or two? I usually like rapid-fire stuff like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt or Rick and Morty, but I also like some slower stuff if it has a cool story around it like The Good Place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watching the 12 Monkeys pilot and the first three actors I see are all from Nikita, what's the connection there?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

Watching the 12 Monkeys pilot and the first three actors I see are all from Nikita, what's the connection there?

https://projectsplinter.com/2018/01/01/the-nikita-connection/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

The show creators were writers on Nikita.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm having a lot of trouble making it through the first new OITNB episode...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

The show creators were writers on Nikita.

Makes sense.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

After finally having caught up with the ending of 12 Monkeys I say enjoy the ride. I loved it all the way the way through, but the ending is something else. Definitely cemented it as one of my favorite scifi shows ever and probably my favorite time travel related show/movie ever as well.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

zoux posted:

That's Julie Chen's husband, too, for what it's worth.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, rarely have I seen a show stick a landing so well. It was a fulfilling closure to the series.

I'm more and more wishing that shows get to do multi year but limited deals so they can plan things out better. I'm sure the early renewal last year with a definitive answer that it was the last season helped out a lot. I'm hoping Killjoys goes out just was well since they knew two years in advance when the show was ending.

It's crazy this isn't more standard in the serialized landscape of TV now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

zoux posted:

This is loving massive. Moonves is the primary blocker to the CBS/Viacom merger and there were already rumors they were going to push him out to get it done. He's was also the main champion of CBS All-access. Fallout from this is going to be huge.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah seriously guys if you had any interest in 12 Monkeys at any time and skipped out because of being let down by Syfy cancelling shows early or just in general with scifi shows more often than not having an unsatisfying ending you need to go back and watch it. The series could not have ended in a better, smarter, more satisfying way. It'll never get the praise it deserves because it was so criminally underwatched, it's absolutely one of the best scifi shows ever made.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety_Film/status/1022895162601627648

That's a bit of a coup

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait, is it not coming out in theaters anymore? What?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Based on Netflix movie history that means this movie is probably really bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

X-O posted:

Based on Netflix movie history that means this movie is probably really bad.

Also, yes, my first thought was "WB has absolutely no faith in this movie."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Doesn't even have Will Smith fighting racist elves? Not interested.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, rarely have I seen a show stick a landing so well. It was a fulfilling closure to the series.

I'm more and more wishing that shows get to do multi year but limited deals so they can plan things out better. I'm sure the early renewal last year with a definitive answer that it was the last season helped out a lot. I'm hoping Killjoys goes out just was well since they knew two years in advance when the show was ending.

It's crazy this isn't more standard in the serialized landscape of TV now.

:same:

Also they said they had a 4 season plan and by god, they did.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Finally a renewal confirmation. :woop:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1022885330037469185

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I have two more episodes of 12 Monkeys to go. Been slowly savoring this last season because I love the show so much I don't want it to end. Glad to hear the ending is good.

Jennifer Goines is the best. And Deacon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oooh Anthony Mackie, sounds dope. I hope they do Broken Angels. I thought the first series was fine, I loved the design and look of it. Dragged a bit in the middle but hell that's Netflix for you.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hell yeah, I love Anthony Mackie

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't love the first season but I'm into the idea of changing the actor, and Anthony Mackie's a great pick.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1KH1SD

Shareholders have approved the Disney/Fox deal.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hah! I saw the poster for it while walking in to Teen Titans Go To the Movies and thought “Huh, I guess it’s finally coming out!”

Guess they’re gonna have to take the poster down now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nobody wanted a grimdark Jungle Book movie.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was season six or season seven the one where they kill off a Sidney Bristow lookalike in a cold open because Alias had just started and people had been talking her up as a better female action hero than Buffy?

Season Seven started the first few episodes with montages of various people being chased and killed. One was a very obvious take-off of Run Lola Run and was even set in Germany. Alias also stole various aspects like the coloured wigs from there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don’t think I’m gonna enjoy this ragtag band of criminals led by the psychic girl that also includes Cindi Lauper

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes that was the universally bitched about episode

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, that episode is um ... a choice. And such an awkwardly placed one, too. Doesn't it come right after a p bombastic episode and just cut the tension/momentum like a knife?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

esperterra posted:

Yeah, that episode is um ... a choice. And such an awkwardly placed one, too. Doesn't it come right after a p bombastic episode and just cut the tension/momentum like a knife?

Yeah the demogorgons were about to gently caress up the labs but no here have an adventure with unpleasant characters and El
It's just too bloated

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's super weird. The ideas are fine but the episode itself isn't super enjoyable. Really should have spread that poo poo out over a few episodes so Eleven had more to do and so it wouldn't gently caress with the back half of the season like that lmao.

It's also the biggest 'movie 80s' feeling part of the show and feels super off compared to the way the rest of the series typically handles the look and feel of the 80s. I get the juxtaposition between rural 80s and city 80s I guess so it may be way more accurate than I'm giving it credit, but it felt weird.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
It was a backdoor pilot for a spinoff which they should've just left unaired, but they just went and shoved it in anyway.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

less laughter posted:

It was a backdoor pilot for a spinoff which they should've just left unaired, but they just went and shoved it in anyway.

lmao seriously? here I was thinking it was awkwardly executed setup for future seasons.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arist posted:

I didn't love the first season but I'm into the idea of changing the actor, and Anthony Mackie's a great pick.

I haven't read the books, but from what I know about them each season will probably be more or less a different genre so maybe 2 will pique your interest more. Like where book 1 is space noir I think book 2 is mostly war drama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I absolutely understand now what that person earlier meant when they said it felt like a fanfic of the first season
I mean the overdone super elaborate super big vines drawing isn't half as creepy and well done as the simple and probably exponentially cheaper Christmas lights and wall alphabet

Also this 80s bully cliche wishes he were Steve