Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

U2F is a great idea that just isn't ready for primetime outside Enterprise space. Hell, Google still "strongly recommends" putting a phone number as a backup 2FA, completely defeating the point of using non-SMS 2FA options. Asking companies to support USB/NFC dongles is apparently asking the impossible at the moment.

And have fun selling ordinary people on the need to buy a $50-$100 phone-compatible auth dongle when we still can't even get more than less of a third of them to spend a few bucks a month on password managers.

Sure isn't. I tried to at least replace stuff that I only used at home. Battle.net uses a different vendor, Veracrypt doesn't support it really even though this seems a no brainer. Lastpass requires premium.

So I guess it's a neat way to bypass my Windows 10 login password, and Origin. Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

skooma512 posted:

Sure isn't. I tried to at least replace stuff that I only used at home. Battle.net uses a different vendor, Veracrypt doesn't support it really even though this seems a no brainer. Lastpass requires premium.

So I guess it's a neat way to bypass my Windows 10 login password, and Origin. Yay.

also your keepass

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Not OK, Google!

https://twitter.com/mattbirman/status/1021217512241836033

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Isn't that the message you get if you use the POP3 or IMAP connector

Don't you have to go into your Gmail settings to explicitly allow non-Gmail app access

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 24, 2018

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Yes it is, and yes you do.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Google will use every tool it can to try and force you to concentrate as close to 100% of your online presence on their services as possible.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yahoo did the same exact thing after they went public with their half-decade old breach. Super shady.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is there a good reason to let any important personal email account permit IMAP access other than "I'm sixty years old and I insist on using Thunderbird?"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It seems to be the best email reading protocol, OP.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Is there a good reason to let any important personal email account permit IMAP access other than "I'm sixty years old and I insist on using Thunderbird?"

Nope

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, but that's besides the point. If someone wants to use the Mail app on iOS, Google should not be sending them big scary messages like that.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, but that's besides the point. If someone wants to use the Mail app on iOS, Google should not be sending them big scary messages like that.
The Mail app on iOS can be configured as a "secure" Gmail app, which does not require you to go into your Gmail settings and turn on the "Allow less secure apps" setting, and also not generate that email.

As the article above mentions, if you're on iOS 6, which last saw an update four years ago, you'll have to use the POP3 or IMAP connectors to connect to Gmail, you'll need to enable the "Allow less secure apps" setting, and you'll get that scary email.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 24, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Potato Salad posted:

I like Thunderbird because I can aggregate like 4 gmails down to one program. Is there a better alternative?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think most mail apps allow you to have more than one account set up..

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Last Chance posted:

I think most mail apps allow you to have more than one account set up..

Including the Gmail web app

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Huh, I could have sworn I read years ago that Mozilla was abandoning Thunderbird and leaving it to sink or swim as a community project. But they seem to have partially or fully backed off from that? It's still being actively developed, and features prominent links to Mozilla on the website :shrug:

I used to be a huge devotee of TB but eventually gave into just running Outlook

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Docjowles posted:

Huh, I could have sworn I read years ago that Mozilla was abandoning Thunderbird and leaving it to sink or swim as a community project. But they seem to have partially or fully backed off from that? It's still being actively developed, and features prominent links to Mozilla on the website :shrug:

I used to be a huge devotee of TB but eventually gave into just running Outlook
They were super pissy about not supporting OAuth or 2FA, until Google said they were going to implement the "less secure apps" warnings people are complaining about : https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=849540

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

anthonypants posted:

They were super pissy about not supporting OAuth or 2FA, until Google said they were going to implement the "less secure apps" warnings people are complaining about : https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=849540

FOSS is like that sometimes. The kind of people who maintain that stuff are pretty, uh... set in their ways.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/misc0110/status/1022603751197163520

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:tif:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hell yes my dudes, here we go

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hell yes my dudes, here we go

I eagerly await more useless patches that break poo poo in a frightened attempt to mitigate this.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

15 bits/hour lol. I guess it can be added to a threat model like way at the bottom.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Diva Cupcake posted:

15 bits/hour lol. I guess it can be added to a threat model like way at the bottom.

lol I did not see that part, weren't the Israeli's pulling more through modulating fan speed and listening in?

Edit: Yup, 15 bits a minute through fan extraction https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Fansmitter-1.pdf

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

But fan modulated exfil assumes you have access to the data in question. 15 bits per hour remotely pulling down a private key from anywhere still lets you do a lot of damage.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I eagerly await more useless patches that break poo poo in a frightened attempt to mitigate this.
Luckily this should be pretty simple to detect and block at the network.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I can't wait for sales reps to tell me their NextGen++ firewalls now detect and stop NetSpectre attacks (but they don't actually)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inept posted:

I can't wait for sales reps to tell me their NextGen++ firewalls now detect and stop NetSpectre attacks (but they don't actually)
According to that whitepaper it's thousands of identical packets, so if you're firewall/IDS can't detect that, well,

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

anthonypants posted:

According to that whitepaper it's thousands of identical packets, so if you're firewall/IDS can't detect that, well,

you should have microseg around your servers anyway, with web proxy between internet-granted servers and the web.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

you should have microseg around your servers anyway, with web proxy between internet-granted servers and the web.

new WAF/IPS feature: randomly injected latency to create excessive noise for timing attacks

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

But fan modulated exfil assumes you have access to the data in question. 15 bits per hour remotely pulling down a private key from anywhere still lets you do a lot of damage.

Have they even released a POC yet?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hail satan

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sheep posted:

I doubt they will publicly release anything, but last time something like this got pushed out in a paper it took someone about a week to figure out what they were doing and recreate it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Sheep posted:

The attack depends on knowing the internals of the network stack or services you’re attacking and designing around that. You also still have to know the memory address of what you’re looking for, or you have to keep exfiltrating data until you get lucky. This is far more difficult to pull off than a local Variant 1 attack.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Double Punctuation posted:

The attack depends on knowing the internals of the network stack or services you’re attacking and designing around that. You also still have to know the memory address of what you’re looking for, or you have to keep exfiltrating data until you get lucky. This is far more difficult to pull off than a local Variant 1 attack.

Definitely, but it's a rad piece of research.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Definitely, but it's a rad piece of research.

Didn't Spectre initially assume you needed admin access to a machine, and somebody quickly developed a method to deploy via JavaScript?

I secretly hope somebody finds a way to crack open netspectre in a similar 'it's way more hosed than you think' way

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Didn't Spectre initially assume you needed admin access to a machine, and somebody quickly developed a method to deploy via JavaScript?

I secretly hope somebody finds a way to crack open netspectre in a similar 'it's way more hosed than you think' way

It was Python and I can't remember if you needed admin or not

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Double Punctuation posted:

That's what I'm getting at - it's all well and good in theory but after skimming the paper the practicality seems way, way off, so without a POC I don't see anything to be concerned about. It's a neat concept at least.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

new WAF/IPS feature: randomly injected latency to create excessive noise for timing attacks

Honestly this seems like it is probably the most straightforward mitigation.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 28, 2018

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If Spectre required admin access, then it wouldn’t be an exploit.

Yes, Spectre is limited to the address space of wherever the vulnerable code is running, so it was initially difficult to attack different processes without finding vulnerable system calls or a way to run bytecode in the kernel. But here’s the thing: What do you think is the process most attackers will want to exfiltrate data from? And what process will be running attacker-controlled JavaScript?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Thunderbird rules. Thunderbird works. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Thunderbird is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Thunderbird is useless. Without my Thunderbird, I am useless.