Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I don't know if it's because of too many movies or it's just in our DNA or what, but there's something special about fighting that makes people completely blind to the skill gap between themselves and the professionals at the top of the field. Nobody thinks they could make it in the NBA or beat Magnus Carlsen at chess just because they played a few recreational games, but everybody thinks they've got magical instincts that beat thousands upon thousands of hours of hard training when it comes to martial arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Nestharken posted:

I don't know if it's because of too many movies or it's just in our DNA or what, but there's something special about fighting that makes people completely blind to the skill gap between themselves and the professionals at the top of the field. Nobody thinks they could make it in the NBA or beat Magnus Carlsen at chess just because they played a few recreational games, but everybody thinks they've got magical instincts that beat thousands upon thousands of hours of hard training when it comes to martial arts.

it's a deadly combination of men being truly inherently stupid & the kid's tv show dragon ball z

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nestharken posted:

Dunning-Kreuger. People know so little about fighting that they don't know how little that they know. Like, you can't get out of grade school without (to use your example) throwing a ball at a basketball net a few times and getting a sense of how difficult it is. Meanwhile, movies show fighting to be this super easy thing, and that's the limit of 99% of people's experience, so when they see an MMA or boxing bout...

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Neon Belly posted:

I've been training for literally no reason?

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this switch'aroo, I've still yet to go to the new gym so my game plan can change but my mental plan is now completely different. I'll discuss with my manager. I have a feeling you lot just want to see me lose.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

Your biggest issue is that you don't have any relevant experience in combat sports. Street fights don't mean poo poo.

I think there's an undercurrent of "what style is best?" that you need to shake. If you get good enough to compete at the pro level, your style will be pretty tailored to your body and attributes.

What does 'a lot under my belt' mean?

I got a little cocky. I think as far as what you guys are telling me, I'm some nobody at this point.

I'm not too concerned with "style." I feel that "style" can sometimes lead to silly things like "can my viper fist defeat my foes toad defense" and other Shaw brothers films nonsense, and is mostly a good ice breaker.

Xguard86 posted:

The best reality check is doing a sub wrestling round with an amateur fighter. Or if they're cool and you're not spazzy try a very light striking session.

We had a couple UFC guys come visit our BJJ gym when I was 22 and it knocked all professional aspirations right out of my head. A bit later also got to do a cool down round (for him) with a pro boxer.

There are levels to this poo poo

I have done a few striking sessions and while I won them all it was, as you said, a reality check. No matter how much you can learn from a heavy bag, another person with their own wits is the best test. I'll say I was a lot happier with my ability to counter, defend, and evade than I was expecting. Also when it came time to close a gap and initiate, I was ready for it. At times, of course. "That moment" comes up many times in a fight, and it's a constant study to take advantage of it.

Novum posted:

Every week I have a fresh new face in the gym who walks in all worked up and in his own head about becoming the killing machine he thinks he can be based on fighting with his brothers a lot growing up or getting into scrapes at the basketball court across the street.

Its always the same story about "yeah I know how to fight I'm just here because I'm so good at fighting I'm pretty sure I can go pro" or "I used to train in a deadly martial art so powerful that we can't even use it in a fight or we'll be charged with war crimes" or some variant similar to that. 100 percent of the time these folks never actually come back or they take one trial class and are gone forever.

Don't be that guy. If you have no competitive experience then you have no competitive experience and thats where you're at. Go to a muay thai gym, a bjj gym, a judo club, a boxing gym, literally any combat sport will do. Don't waste your own energy bringing in a bunch of your old baggage. Go to where you need to go and be there to learn. If anything you used to do has applications you'll find them naturally.

You just need to get in there and put in the work. Everything else will sort itself out.

Please believe me in my stating that I have been VERY skeptical of any lessons I've received growing up. Ryu Te is infamously in a bad state due to a few people learning "knockout pressure point techniques" from some seminars and scamming people with the knowledge. They have made the gravest of claims: no contact disabling of foes. The biggest load of bullshit in all martial arts. And it's unfortunate, because not only is it an insult to Taika's art, but it's lead me to be hesitant to believe in it as well. I've spent many hours of my life being manhandled by instructors(take this with a comical grain of salt. I didn't pay to get beat up by bullies who wanted to intimidate me into thinking I was learning) and even hit with the techniques that were twisted into bullshido by a man named George Dillman. Joe Rogan said in a clip that this kind of thing is often preluded with medical mumbo jumbo to make it seem real, and that was never the case. It was as matter of fact as "this can work(not will work. CAN work) and a joint lock being performed on the student, and then the students practicing it on eachother. Or a random love tap to the side of the neck that would briefly make me blind(I think I earned that one when I asked if I was at a mcdojo.)

As for scraps, I have a VERY challenging time admitting to what has occurred in the past in fear that I'll sound like either someone trying to impress or someone with a big mouth. Maybe it's worth mentioning one of them?

I got into a fight with an amateur boxer. I know he's been in the ring at least a few times. gently caress it I'll admit it: I did a lot better in hindsight than I initially gave myself credit for. Compared to my prime I had gained weight, my feet were already damaged, and I was a year into a habit of unfiltered camels. And I still kept up with him for what must have been 20 minutes. Not 20 minutes straight of fighting mind you it was such a mixture of running after each other and yelling and swinging that it can't fairly be compared to a professional match.The cause of the fight was some macho bullshit about if one of us was a fag. He shot me in the face with a straight while I was sitting down, and in an attempt to deescalate I said nothing and hoped he call us even for any insulting words I had said. He was surprised I didn't wilt like a flower, and it escalated from there. At some point I started hitting him back, and went out into the streets and yelled for someone to call the police, as my phone service had been cut off previously. We somehow got back inside, and his cousins must have heard me and burst into a room really pissed off. The boxer said one of them was armed, and I noticed the other had a belt. I had already assumed that this guy was affiliated and the belt was a sign that it was MS13 and they planned on tying me up and blowing my brains out. He got on top of me(must've lost my footing. Maybe even on purpose) and looked me in the eye and it was serious enough to remember some advice I got as a child: don't blink. He got up and let me out and the police had arrived and I was babbling do to the adrenaline burst of it all and got a ride home.

Hell, even the cop was dangerous to be around. He said he was an Iraq war vet and that he had survived a shrapnel blast. I was shaken up badly and wanted to sleep the night off but I couldn't relax as he was suggesting I do. At one point my instincts told me he was gonna draw his gun, and fire at me and blame it on the MS guys, so I blurted out a random string of numbers to confuse him and snap him into reality. Weirdest thing I've ever done it was like verbally giving a robot a passcode to disengage it's kill all humans function and it was entirely improvised.

Wangsbig posted:

it's a deadly combination of men being truly inherently stupid & the kid's tv show dragon ball z

When I first joined Peter's school he said "show me how you fight" and I did a Goku stance. He silently yet directly sweeped my front leg and explained to me why it was a bad stance.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Novum posted:

If you want to fight you need to go to a gym that produces fighters. End of story.

This, nothing but this. Stop poncing around looking at girly mcdodjo learn self defence yoga confidence schools and find your nearest gym that has had wins at local shows, or even better in the ufc. For the love of god don't mention wanting to be in the ufc you dweeb. Last a month at a top tier gym before even mentioning you want to compete.

I'm half convinced this is some kind of troll but I literally know no one would ever make silly posts in this thread.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

I have a feeling you lot just want to see me lose.

Not true, I think the best outcome is it is revealed you're actually Jon Jones and another goon has a really rude awakening.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

bob human being posted:

I have done a few striking sessions and while I won them all it was, as you said, a reality check.

Who against?

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

willie_dee posted:

This, nothing but this. Stop poncing around looking at girly mcdodjo learn self defence yoga confidence schools and find your nearest gym that has had wins at local shows, or even better in the ufc. For the love of god don't mention wanting to be in the ufc you dweeb. Last a month at a top tier gym before even mentioning you want to compete.

I'm half convinced this is some kind of troll but I literally know no one would ever make silly posts in this thread.

I like you.

JaySB posted:

You're in the greater Washington DC area? Start here:
http://www.virginiabjj.com

Thank you. This is pretty close by.

willie_dee posted:

Who against?

Mostly guys who'd come into my sporting gym and see me on the heavy bag with some sort of background in either boxing or muay thai. We'd start up a conversation and I'd try to gauge them based on who much of a braggart they were and every so often someone would be up to spar.

just bob fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 27, 2018

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

How much you weigh, how tall are you, how much you bench/squat, do you have visible abs?

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

willie_dee posted:

How much you weigh, how tall are you, how much you bench/squat, do you have visible abs?

I weigh 700 pounds and have the word homo instead of a mouth.

mewse
May 2, 2006

bob human being posted:

I have done a few striking sessions and while I won them all

Lol "winning" at sparring

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

mewse posted:

Lol "winning" at sparring

Win...didn't look like a total chump...same diff.

I guess I considered it a victory because it wasn't an actual fight but I was still able to put myself into it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This is like someone asking how long it'll take to open a Michelin 2-star restaurant because they have experience pouring melted butter onto microwave popcorn.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Bob human being is going to fit in here just fine

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress me it’s getting weird in here.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

ihop posted:

Bob human being is going to fit in here just fine

Only place he’s fitting is in willie’s car boot

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
At this point I'm fairly convinced I wouldnt have to join an mma gym again before I win my first goon on goon crime

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Only place he’s fitting is in willie’s car boot

If he's had a car this whole time, why is he all bent out of shape about chavs getting off with mopeds?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bob - forgive me if you posted elsewhere, but how old are you? And seriously, how big are you?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

If he's had a car this whole time, why is he all bent out of shape about chavs getting off with mopeds?

You don't have to be gay to care about gay rights. Moped crime is a scourge of London and I like to party in London.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

DC has some good looking BJJ places. Just avoid the self-defense ones.

This one's instructor is a black belt under Drysdale and has done well in a bunch of big competitions.
http://abmarbjjacademy.com/instructors/abmar-barbosa/

I own a book written by the instructors here. That's neat.
http://www.rjjanova.com/about-ribeiro-jiu-jitsu-academy-nova/

A pure BJJ school won't get you far in MMA mind you. But if you take a free trial class at one (and if they don't let you try for free, you shouldn't be there at all) to understand just how useless your skills are right now. Having a 130lbs blue belt dominate you for 5 minutes will be quite educational. Then remember that your Muay Thai experience will be similar, just more brutal.

You could also go to a local MMA event, ideally one featuring amateur fighters, and pay attention to the gym affiliations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pre:
FADE IN:

TRAIN INTERIOR - DAY

WILLIE is seated on the train, heading to a party in LONDON

WILLIE (Voice over)
              This drat moped violence has got to stop.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

CommonShore posted:

Bob - forgive me if you posted elsewhere, but how old are you? And seriously, how big are you?

I'm extremely out of shape right now. However I am 28 and 6 feet tall. I've yo-yoed my weight a lot throughout the years.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

bob human being posted:

I'm extremely out of shape right now. However I am 28 and 6 feet tall. I've yo-yoed my weight a lot throughout the years.

The fact you've not given us a lbs figure here says everything I need to know. Ur already ded m8

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bob human being posted:

Win...didn't look like a total chump...same diff.

I guess I considered it a victory because it wasn't an actual fight but I was still able to put myself into it.

I think you have some attitude shifts yet to make about combat sports training.
That you can remember your individual sparring sessions and performance in them is a great illustration of how much further you have to go.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

bob human being posted:

Mostly guys who'd come into my sporting gym and see me on the heavy bag with some sort of background in either boxing or muay thai. We'd start up a conversation and I'd try to gauge them based on who much of a braggart they were and every so often someone would be up to spar.

Holy poo poo. I didn't know Charlie Z was a goon.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

JaySB posted:

:drat:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Will he virtual leave and never come back to the virtual dojo?

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

JaySB posted:

I just looked that guy up. He had the gall to sucker punch Floyd Mayweather after a friendly bout. I wanted to believe he was a youtube troll and seeing that makes me think he's some sort of insane.

kimbo305 posted:

I think you have some attitude shifts yet to make about combat sports training.
That you can remember your individual sparring sessions and performance in them is a great illustration of how much further you have to go.

Hai.

just bob fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 28, 2018

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

bob human being posted:

I just looked that guy up. He had the gall to sucker punch Floyd Mayweather after a friendly bout. I wanted to believe he was a youtube troll and seeing that makes me think he's some sort of insane.

Hai.

How much you weigh brah, I want to give Dana a call and let him know I've got another prospect.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
You're 28 and out of shape and think you can make it to UFC? Wow. You're 10 years too late.

Just do BJJ to get into shape and have fun.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

starkebn posted:

You're 28 and out of shape and think you can make it to UFC? Wow. You're 10 years too late.

but my street fights.. my mentality..

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

starkebn posted:

He's got TMA experience though, don't forget that.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Count Roland posted:

He's got TMA experience though, don't forget that.

mmm, I also forgot about the capoeira

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nestharken posted:

It's amazingly humbling to experience, too. I thought I'd be at least not useless the first time I stepped up against someone who'd been fighting in the SCA for years, and the first 'real' shot he threw my way I didn't even see until my helmet was ringing like a bell. On the positive, he then showed me how that shot worked. Being utterly outclassed is humbling, and when you look at what a good hobbyist can do versus guys who fight for a living, it's not even on the same planet.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

bob human being posted:

I got a little cocky. I think as far as what you guys are telling me, I'm some nobody at this point.

I'm not too concerned with "style." I feel that "style" can sometimes lead to silly things like "can my viper fist defeat my foes toad defense" and other Shaw brothers films nonsense, and is mostly a good ice breaker.

I have done a few striking sessions and while I won them all it was, as you said, a reality check. No matter how much you can learn from a heavy bag, another person with their own wits is the best test. I'll say I was a lot happier with my ability to counter, defend, and evade than I was expecting. Also when it came time to close a gap and initiate, I was ready for it. At times, of course. "That moment" comes up many times in a fight, and it's a constant study to take advantage of it.

Please believe me in my stating that I have been VERY skeptical of any lessons I've received growing up. Ryu Te is infamously in a bad state due to a few people learning "knockout pressure point techniques" from some seminars and scamming people with the knowledge. They have made the gravest of claims: no contact disabling of foes. The biggest load of bullshit in all martial arts. And it's unfortunate, because not only is it an insult to Taika's art, but it's lead me to be hesitant to believe in it as well. I've spent many hours of my life being manhandled by instructors(take this with a comical grain of salt. I didn't pay to get beat up by bullies who wanted to intimidate me into thinking I was learning) and even hit with the techniques that were twisted into bullshido by a man named George Dillman. Joe Rogan said in a clip that this kind of thing is often preluded with medical mumbo jumbo to make it seem real, and that was never the case. It was as matter of fact as "this can work(not will work. CAN work) and a joint lock being performed on the student, and then the students practicing it on eachother. Or a random love tap to the side of the neck that would briefly make me blind(I think I earned that one when I asked if I was at a mcdojo.)

As for scraps, I have a VERY challenging time admitting to what has occurred in the past in fear that I'll sound like either someone trying to impress or someone with a big mouth. Maybe it's worth mentioning one of them?

I got into a fight with an amateur boxer. I know he's been in the ring at least a few times. gently caress it I'll admit it: I did a lot better in hindsight than I initially gave myself credit for. Compared to my prime I had gained weight, my feet were already damaged, and I was a year into a habit of unfiltered camels. And I still kept up with him for what must have been 20 minutes. Not 20 minutes straight of fighting mind you it was such a mixture of running after each other and yelling and swinging that it can't fairly be compared to a professional match.The cause of the fight was some macho bullshit about if one of us was a fag. He shot me in the face with a straight while I was sitting down, and in an attempt to deescalate I said nothing and hoped he call us even for any insulting words I had said. He was surprised I didn't wilt like a flower, and it escalated from there. At some point I started hitting him back, and went out into the streets and yelled for someone to call the police, as my phone service had been cut off previously. We somehow got back inside, and his cousins must have heard me and burst into a room really pissed off. The boxer said one of them was armed, and I noticed the other had a belt. I had already assumed that this guy was affiliated and the belt was a sign that it was MS13 and they planned on tying me up and blowing my brains out. He got on top of me(must've lost my footing. Maybe even on purpose) and looked me in the eye and it was serious enough to remember some advice I got as a child: don't blink. He got up and let me out and the police had arrived and I was babbling do to the adrenaline burst of it all and got a ride home.

Hell, even the cop was dangerous to be around. He said he was an Iraq war vet and that he had survived a shrapnel blast. I was shaken up badly and wanted to sleep the night off but I couldn't relax as he was suggesting I do. At one point my instincts told me he was gonna draw his gun, and fire at me and blame it on the MS guys, so I blurted out a random string of numbers to confuse him and snap him into reality. Weirdest thing I've ever done it was like verbally giving a robot a passcode to disengage it's kill all humans function and it was entirely improvised.

When I first joined Peter's school he said "show me how you fight" and I did a Goku stance. He silently yet directly sweeped my front leg and explained to me why it was a bad stance.

You sound insufferable and I wish you the worst

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Don't @ me or I'll go RED bro

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
if you’re the kind of dumbass who gets in a 20 minute fight for being called a fag please just don’t even bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Squirrel Burger posted:

if you’re the kind of dumbass who gets in a 20 minute fight for being called a fag please just don’t even bother

Or better yet, send him to the Oildome