Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always thought it was a japan thing to have O as accept and X as cancel and a western thing to have them reversed.

Also, I can only think of face buttons in playstation terms even though I've owned every Nintendo console and handheld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

All I know is there are like 7 different locations for the X button across time and space and it’s terrible

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

All I know is there are like 7 different locations for the X button across time and space and it’s terrible

X is at 6 o'clock in my heart, forever and always.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
nintendo changes buttons all the time. one time, they made the A button big and green, B small and red, and then they used kidney beans for the X and Y buttons.

OPEN YOUR EYES

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't know if the + and - buttons are still considered start and select, but I still call them that and always have to follow up with a stupid "uuhh I mean the plus button"

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I keep accidentally backing out of youtube and netflix videos instead of pausing on my ps4, now that I've gotten used to Switch button placement. I can only know one thing at a time, apparently.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't know if the + and - buttons are still considered start and select, but I still call them that and always have to follow up with a stupid "uuhh I mean the plus button"

Doubly annoying with the face buttons when someone has the left joycon in single use and you're trying to instruct them on the fly. It's extra fun when you've got a mental map for PS4, xbone, and nintendo layouts.

Instead of just going to the right one, I always fumble with the other layouts til I land on the correct mental configuration. Not unlike when parents rotate through their kids' names til they hit the one they're actually trying to address

My life is full of so many hardships...

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm usually fine with pressing either the right button or the bottom button depending on controller but gently caress me does the Xbox wrinkle my brain with switching up the XABY layout

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ps has a cross not an x. Very simple youre welcome

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

With Nintendo loving around with gimmicks for the last couple decades it feels like the Sony/MS style has become the standard. I mean the sorta 'standard controller' shape everyone has adopted is essentially a dual shock-ish thing right?

I think that's why the Switch makes me think of the SNES because it was their last system I used (I barely ever touched a GC) that didn't feel overshadowed by tech experiments. I know you can waggle with the split up controllers but every thing I've played has had standard controls and portability isn't tied into any dual screen weirdness.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the DS was a weird fringe GIMMICK

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What’s the worst controller button setup? I’d have to say Wiimote + Nunchuck, since the button layout didn’t really make a lick of sense and if you wanted camera control in the game you had to use the IR input which meant pointing the Wiimote directly at the screen for extended periods of time.

Oh I guess the completely unusable ZL/ZR buttons on the New 3DS get honorable mention but I think only one game uses them anyway.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Yeah the DS was a weird fringe GIMMICK

To be fair my absolute all time favorite DS games are mostly traditional games that only use the second screen for maps and poo poo, and don't rely on the touch screen at all. The castlevanias, Mario kart and other Mario titles, tons of random rpgs, etc

Then there's Etrian Odyssey <3

Please make your way to switch soon, cherished friend

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Don't get all ruffled Nintendo fans. The DS was a mega huge success I just didn't dig it. Compared to Sony handhelds which were just a screen embedded in a controller Nintendo has been the nutty one.

KingSlime posted:

To be fair my absolute all time favorite DS games are mostly traditional games that only use the second screen for maps and poo poo, and don't rely on the touch screen at all. The castlevanias, Mario kart and other Mario titles, tons of random rpgs, etc

Then there's Etrian Odyssey <3

Please make your way to switch soon, cherished friend

Yeah and ds/3ds are pretty uncomfortable for larger hands. I'm not that into portable gaming but every time I was playing something on them I just wished it was on any other system. Once I added grips to the vita (the skull grips on the Switch has made it way comfier too) it was fairly comfortable and I would've happily given up making my own maps in EO to play it more comfortably.

I can't wait for SMT/EO Switch games.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 27, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Not liking the DS is just terrible taste

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
yeah I like the DS...

Dick
Suckin'

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Psp supremacy

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

yeah I like the DS...

Dick
Suckin'

This is how you make a Good poo poo Post you guys, please file it for future reference

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The DS had a lot of good games, but not many that were real juggernauts in their genres. I feel the 3DS did a better job with that.

lelandjs posted:

What’s the worst controller button setup? I’d have to say Wiimote + Nunchuck, since the button layout didn’t really make a lick of sense and if you wanted camera control in the game you had to use the IR input which meant pointing the Wiimote directly at the screen for extended periods of time.

The problem with Nintendo's post SNES controllers is that the work perfect for some games but a nightmare for others.

The GameCube controller was goody as gently caress for numerous games, but it is a match made in heaven for Super Smash Bros.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

The DS had a lot of good games, but not many that were real juggernauts in their genres. I feel the 3DS did a better job with that.

Now you've just added more gimmicks!

I mean...

3 Dick Suckin

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Canvas curse is real good

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I want to peek in on the world where Nintendo put two triggers on each side and could actually support 3rd party that generation.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

NINTENDO NEVER SWAPPED ANY loving BUTTON PLACEMENTS HOLY poo poo YOU GOD drat IDIOT

They did for the GameCube layout, which was perfect

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zoran posted:

They did for the GameCube layout, which was perfect

Nah they were still the same.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Wii was my first Nintendo console and I quite liked the Wiimote/nunchuk combination. It was usually pretty comfortable to be able to play with a split controller like that. I like playing my Switch with split joycons sometimes for the same reason.

I do sometimes have to think about Confirm/Cancel buttons when I'm switching between PS4/Vita and Switch/3DS.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I remember nintendo power saying some bad games were good

it was purestrain propaganda but i liked the reviewer who used a slime for his staff picture

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looper posted:

i haven't read video game reviews consistently since my nintendo power subscription lapsed as a kid, but yeah i just get a little frustrated when people point at contextless numbers as an indicator of quality. rotten tomatoes is garbage for similar reasons

They brought Nintendo Power back as an unlistenably boring podcast

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

KingSlime posted:

I'll never understand the gaming community's obsessive hatred for review sites they continue going back to over and over and over again. It's a review for a video game, not an academic analysis you know?

Review sites are bad when you don't agree. Hollow Knight a 90? The sites are wrong, It's a 98 in my book.

What? BotW is a 97? No way, it's a 91.

Review sites suck!

No, actually they are helpful to get a general consensus. If Metacritic says a game is an 80. It's probably a good game, but not an all-time great. A 90? A great game, but still not an all-time great A 95? Well that means just about everyone agrees it's a fantastic game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah it’s a decent indicator of should you look into this further

Like, I’ll always buy a new mainline Mario game. It doesn’t really matter what the score is gonna be for me. But seeing a 98 will get a lot of people who don’t feel that way to at least check it out. Similarly if you’re on the fence and you see a 70 you are a bit more cautious. It shouldn’t be the only thing you look at but so many games come out every single day you can’t be on top of all of them

That said the other day I was telling someone Kirby Super Star Ultra is a great game and he looked it up and the metacritic is like 75 and what the gently caress game critics

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Kirby Star Allies: I’ve only played the first chapter for each but the levels are dramatically different for Adeline, Dark Meta Knight, and Magic Rat. Especially Adeline and Rat because they have so many weird tools. I hope this trend continues

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dizz posted:

nintendo changes buttons all the time. one time, they made the A button big and green, B small and red, and then they used kidney beans for the X and Y buttons.

OPEN YOUR EYES

Yes, the Gamecube controller was the best controller Nintendo ever made. I assume that's what you were getting at and if so, you're right!

But what trips me up going to Switch from the PS4 (and 360 prior to that) controller is the X and Y swap. A for B I can deal with but I was playing Bayonetta 2 and nearly every time it'd show "X" I'd hit "Y" despite the screen showing me the drat position it's in.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

RCarr posted:

What do you mean? I never got too many chests in all my time playing Enter the Gungeon.

In the bugged version, chests will spawn in almost every room depending on the run. And they average like 3 keyless brown chests a run. So every other run I've got at least 6 guns going into the boss. Just found this absurd bee gun that made the first boss trivial.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bushisms.txt posted:

In the bugged version, chests will spawn in almost every room depending on the run. And they average like 3 keyless brown chests a run. So every other run I've got at least 6 guns going into the boss. Just found this absurd bee gun that made the first boss trivial.
Mine has this, but I always just assumed it was some sort of auto newb balancing since I generally suck rear end at the game.
https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1021217454880567297

Here's a pic where I got 10 chests total on the first floor, and that happens regularly enough that I assumed it was normal.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Review sites are bad when you don't agree. Hollow Knight a 90? The sites are wrong, It's a 98 in my book.

What? BotW is a 97? No way, it's a 91.

Review sites suck!

No, actually they are helpful to get a general consensus. If Metacritic says a game is an 80. It's probably a good game, but not an all-time great. A 90? A great game, but still not an all-time great A 95? Well that means just about everyone agrees it's a fantastic game.

telling me a game is an 80 gives me absolutely no information about whether or not i would like it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It would be cool if Nintendo would release the total time played for different games. Mk8, Zelda, splatoon I’m sure would be at the top with things like maybe fortnite?

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Octopath wasn't already Top 10 for this despite only being out for two weeks. Granted, that may be because I've already put in over 50 hours on it...

FuzzySlippers posted:

How do people feel about the pro controller? I got one of those adapters that lets me use other system controllers on the switch (in theory but I can't get the wii u pro controller to work just the ps4), but does the switch pro controller hold any significant advantage over it?

If you don't care about the D-Pad, I feel it's probably the best controller currently on the market. That said, I don't think it's worth $70-$80 or more if you have better alternatives already or like the JoyCons. I definitely don't regret buying one and love the hell out of mine, but I don't think it's worth buying one if you have alternatives you prefer.

I know I've given you poo poo before in this thread, but honestly I appreciate your comments and am glad you give a unique perspective in this thread that is neither "obvious Nintendo fanboy" and "obvious always-negative troll".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Personally I would permaban every person on this site that wasn't a Nintendo fanboy if I had the power. Then I'd go to their homes and punch their faces, and break their godforsaken PlayStations

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah who the gently caress thinks X is at 6 o clock, what is wrong with you

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

King Vidiot posted:

Yes, the Gamecube controller was the best controller Nintendo ever made. I assume that's what you were getting at and if so, you're right!

But what trips me up going to Switch from the PS4 (and 360 prior to that) controller is the X and Y swap. A for B I can deal with but I was playing Bayonetta 2 and nearly every time it'd show "X" I'd hit "Y" despite the screen showing me the drat position it's in.

I like how Nintendo developed games for the Switch show the button prompts as “top button” instead of X or whatever, since a lot of them are designed with JoyCons in mind, and the left JoyCon by itself doesn’t have ABXY labeled buttons

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Personally I would permaban every person on this site that wasn't a Nintendo fanboy if I had the power. Then I'd go to their homes and punch their faces, and break their godforsaken PlayStations

Which gamexplain vid comment section did you pasta this from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Darker Side has the same dumb game design that Path of Pain in Hollow Knight has.

It's no way near as hard, but the lack of checkpoints makes it tedious as all gently caress since getting to a later point takes a good 5-10 minutes. I don't know how long it is, but I really don't want to bother if I'm doing all the early stages over and over again. I know I just have to get better, but it's annoying when I already got good at the early bits, getting through them repetitively just gets obnoxious.

It's a big contrast to the other Mario games I've played that either have checkpoints, or stages that're so short that it's negligible.

• Locked thread