Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frog Act posted:

I can't find this on iTunes and when I click the link on the site on my phone it just sends me straight to a big block of text at "raw".github, can someone please link me to it or something

It's all on patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/radiowarnerd/posts

to get it onto itunes you'll have to get the rss feed, which is only embedded in the subscriber newsletter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's all on patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/radiowarnerd/posts

to get it onto itunes you'll have to get the rss feed, which is only embedded in the subscriber newsletter.

How often are the newsletters sent out? I finally ended up subing yesterday and figured i'd just wait till I get the newsletter to start listening.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

How often are the newsletters sent out? I finally ended up subing yesterday and figured i'd just wait till I get the newsletter to start listening.

at least twice a month. ask nicely and somebody will send it to you. hit me up on discord and I can get it to you sometime after noon.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Stupendous new episode on a hypothetical war on Iran.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's a good episode but Dolan leans too much in the Millennium Challenge. I forget the specifics but while the bigger point of it's dumb parking blue water ships in the Persian Gulf beyond dick-waving there was a lot of stuff involving teleporting bicycles and poo poo like that for the result to come out that way.

The A/T milhist thread went into further detail on this but I can't find it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

IIRC the rules weren't set up to allow for asymetric tactics, so the Iranian commander just made poo poo up, and it often violated common sense and/or laws of physics. It does show that the US was basically just planning on a nice neat conventional war and weren't ready for something more complicated, but the actual results aren't necessarily realistic

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think the rules that they gave Van Riper were unrealistic to begin with, like they made him use bike messengers in 2002 - so he made the motorcycles travel at light speed or something.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think the rules that they gave Van Riper were unrealistic to begin with, like they made him use bike messengers in 2002 - so he made the motorcycles travel at light speed or something.

It's all 90% kabuki theather anyway. Eventually they were going to get a guy who wouldn't just lose with a smile and would poo poo in the punch bowl.

They were lucky Riper was too old to have played RTS games, or he'd have used his priests to go "Olololo" and start converting enemy units to his side. It would have been amazing.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Every take on MC02 has led me to the same conclusion; Van Riper was right about how the whole exercise was built around the aim of validating US military doctrine. The stories behind it are far more complicated, but I definitely think he was correct in that single assessment.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
brown moses got named dropped (as bellingcat) and not in a positive light

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Darkman Fanpage posted:

brown moses got named dropped (as bellingcat) and not in a positive light

Mark does not like him because he gets funded by NATO, right?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That happened several times already

coathat
May 21, 2007

They don’t like him because he’s a mod

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

prefect posted:

Mark does not like him because he gets funded by NATO, right?

He's funded by the Atlantic Council, so basically Western intelligence and Gulf state allies, and got his start signal boosting questionable pro-FSA and anti-Russian propaganda. He's a CIA psyop in mark's opinion.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

coathat posted:

They don’t like him because he’s a mod

Xwytsau
Jul 29, 2018

Oh god.

They're gonna fuck it up again.
In one episode they talked quite a bit on how they viewed BM. They don't think he's a psyop (probably), just a tool used by them. Which is true. BM doesn't signal boost poo poo, he was just some dumb nerd following the war on his blog, and had no ability to signal boost anything. He got signal boosted by those interests because his work benefits their narrative. He also doesn't do any work on Yemen, which Ames and Dolan find unforgivable.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Xwytsau posted:

In one episode they talked quite a bit on how they viewed BM. They don't think he's a psyop (probably), just a tool used by them. Which is true. BM doesn't signal boost poo poo, he was just some dumb nerd following the war on his blog, and had no ability to signal boost anything. He got signal boosted by those interests because his work benefits their narrative. He also doesn't do any work on Yemen, which Ames and Dolan find unforgivable.

I'm currently involved with a major project involving multiple organisations both outside and within Yemen focused on training investigators, documenting potential war crimes, archiving content gathered from a range of Yemeni organisations and justice and accountability organisation (in particular those focused on the arms trade), and making this all accessible to international courts for prosecutions. We've also worked on projects in Holland focused on the Dutch arms trade to Saudi Arabia highlighting the use of munitions and equipment in Yemen violating export licenses, and I'm currently working on fund raising to hire 3 members of staff to work on Yemen full time to grow our capacity to support the previously mentioned projects and additional work. Weirdly I don't see them at any of those meetings.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

How come I never see you at the club?

How come I never see you at the international NGO committee on Yemen?

Xwytsau
Jul 29, 2018

Oh god.

Brown Moses posted:

I'm currently involved with a major project involving multiple organisations both outside and within Yemen focused on training investigators, documenting potential war crimes, archiving content gathered from a range of Yemeni organisations and justice and accountability organisation (in particular those focused on the arms trade), and making this all accessible to international courts for prosecutions. We've also worked on projects in Holland focused on the Dutch arms trade to Saudi Arabia highlighting the use of munitions and equipment in Yemen violating export licenses, and I'm currently working on fund raising to hire 3 members of staff to work on Yemen full time to grow our capacity to support the previously mentioned projects and additional work. Weirdly I don't see them at any of those meetings.

Thats really cool. Last I'd heard on it from you it was you pointing out that you didn't have the contacts or resources to do in Yemen what you did for Syria. Which was true at the time, and I didn't really expect that to change because the way you came to being an expert on Syria was fairly unique and wasn't something that you could just go and say "yeah i'll do that for this country too".

Another thing with Ames and Dolan is that they trust Hersh implicitly because of his work on Abu Ghraib and My Lai because they're old fuckers. And, I'm not sure if you've heard about this, but Hersh doesn't like you. I can't recall Hersh's feelings about your work ever coming up in the ME thread, or you ever mentioning it. But Hersh disagrees with you on stuff. A little. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
brown moses go on chapo war nerd

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Xwytsau posted:

Thats really cool. Last I'd heard on it from you it was you pointing out that you didn't have the contacts or resources to do in Yemen what you did for Syria. Which was true at the time, and I didn't really expect that to change because the way you came to being an expert on Syria was fairly unique and wasn't something that you could just go and say "yeah i'll do that for this country too".

Another thing with Ames and Dolan is that they trust Hersh implicitly because of his work on Abu Ghraib and My Lai because they're old fuckers. And, I'm not sure if you've heard about this, but Hersh doesn't like you. I can't recall Hersh's feelings about your work ever coming up in the ME thread, or you ever mentioning it. But Hersh disagrees with you on stuff. A little. :v:

Currently I'm focusing our efforts on expanding into covering more Yemen and Libya stuff. With last years arrest warrant issued by the ICC on Werfalli based on Facebook videos of executions he was involved with there's a big interest in the ICC in open source investigation, and the use of open source evidence by organisations like the ICC, plus we also have the IIIM on Syria that's working on the same sorts of issues, so among that community there's a great deal of interest in my work and that of Bellingcat, so I've spent the last couple of years meeting all sorts of people to discuss the issues and doing various workshops and trainings. This all feeds into the work being done with Yemen, as there's a lot of issues address through work on Syria and Libya, and the interest of the ICC and IIIM. Also it's helped a lot that MH17 has been so big with us, so there's a lot of people working in law enforcement that are very interested in our work, and because the ICC, Europol, Eurojust, and others are based in Holland they've all got to know our work through that.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

*Brown Moses walks into the ICC with a packet the size of a phone book*

I got all the info on those war crimes you wanted.

“Ja, bedankt.”

*the clerk drops the packet into an industrial paper shredder*

“We thank you for all your hard werk.”

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
new war nerd is on pakistani history and politics, its loving good

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
this was the guy they interviewed btw: http://theselongwars.blogspot.com/?m=1

he seemed pretty critical of the pak military in general but strangely supportive of their actions in tribal and pashtun areas where they comitted a shitload of atrocities, which was odd

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
they also mentioned the war nerd community or something on the ep where they found cael zha, whats that. a forum or facebook group?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mila kunis posted:

they also mentioned the war nerd community or something on the ep where they found cael zha, whats that. a forum or facebook group?

I think it's all through the war nerd facebook page. At least, I think they found Carl Zha through facebook.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i'm glad we'll finally have a good accounting of the horrific atrocities inflicted by the radical houthi rebels on the peaceful yemense people

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think it's all through the war nerd facebook page. At least, I think they found Carl Zha through facebook.

Yeah, I think Richard Kim (the guy on the Korea episodes) was found from Patreon comments too. They probably mean both. But the War Nerd facebook is listed under Gary Brecher, join it its informative sometimes.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Really enjoying the War Nerd Illiad. There are parts of it that make me grit my teeth ("Paris would live in Malibu and drive a Porsche') but there is a lot that's stunning and evocative.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
posting this here since i'm betting war nerd OG's might get a kick out of it

don't remember how i found this earlier today, but in 2010 someone at zeroanthropology.net edited and posted a quite funny, Vic Berger-esque video takedown of "Dr. Montgomery McFate" and Sarah Sewell's appearance on Charlie Rose way back then, when the Human Terrain System was, still I'm assuming, running full steam ahead.

https://vimeo.com/????????????????13450312

edit: I'm not sure if that video is embedding properly, so I included in the link at the top of the post since it's well worth the click

Bastaman Vibration has issued a correction as of 03:36 on Aug 19, 2018

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

McFate published a book on cultural anthropologists in wartime a couple of months ago. I'm a bit behind on the show, did that get mentioned at all?

I figured they might want to hate read it or joke about it, but since it's currently sitting unreviewed on Amazon they might just enjoy leaving it there forgotten.

Xwytsau
Jul 29, 2018

Oh god.

Does anybody remember which episode had Dolan's rant about Dostoevsky and Tolstoy? Regarding the "Fox and the Hedgehog"?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Xwytsau posted:

Does anybody remember which episode had Dolan's rant about Dostoevsky and Tolstoy? Regarding the "Fox and the Hedgehog"?

You sure that wasn't a War Nerd article?

Xwytsau
Jul 29, 2018

Oh god.

100%

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

there was a good extended Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy bit in an ep from I think this spring. would have been late April early may-ish iirc

I remember exactly where I was when I listened to it but not which ep it was

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The episode about war novels has Ames and Dolan talking about why they prefer Dostoyevsky over Tolstoy. I think they've done it other times too though.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Just subbed for and finished the Italy miniseries. Itavia flight 870 is the most legit :psyduck: thing I've heard that's half legit.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

nonathlon posted:

Really enjoying the War Nerd Illiad. There are parts of it that make me grit my teeth ("Paris would live in Malibu and drive a Porsche') but there is a lot that's stunning and evocative.

It's a great read. I even like all the modernisms, I think part of Dolan' style is to mix the sublime and evocative with the mundane and brutal. Explaining how the whole bloody mess gets started because someone's aunt doesn't get invited to the big fat greek wedding makes a lot of sense.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
I've really dug John Dolan's writing for a while and I can't believe it took me so long to cough up a fiver an episode for this podcast because its fantastic. Loved the latest Naipaul episode and the Sci Fi & Fascism one. Dolan really shines when talking about literature.

I'd also love to read the old RWN newsletters that I missed. If someone's got the RWN newsletter archive kicking round, I'd really appreciate it if someone could send them through, I'd be happy to grab you plat or archives in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A lot of RWN newsletters ended up in my spam folder, so I couldn't give you a complete archive if I tried, and I've already got plat.

They also only charge a max of 5 for two episodes a month, but they average out to about 4 episodes a month. So really it's 2.50 a pop.