Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Tell me about burn in. I'm 99% sure it isn't actually a thing, but is it egregious enough of a thing to be wrong about that I should discount all of anyone's opinion who espouses belief in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sextro posted:

Tell me about burn in. I'm 99% sure it isn't actually a thing, but is it egregious enough of a thing to be wrong about that I should discount all of anyone's opinion who espouses belief in it?

You’re more getting your brain acclimated than observing physical changes in electronics.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 26, 2018

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Sextro posted:

Burn in is generally touted by people that know science-y words but do not hold science-y degrees.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

That's about what I had figured.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sextro posted:

It's technically possibly a thing that potentially happens but more realistically you simply get used to listening to your new headphones sound signature.

Or maybe its the ear cushions "wearing in" after a couple hundred hours and affecting the sound.

The ideal amount of burn in time is exactly the duration of the return window from your chosen vendor.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Our brains have an adaptive filter going on, otherwise we'd constantly hear the AC humming in the background and white-noise would drive us absolutely crazy. Not to mention airplanes being a complete torture. And of course the fact that our ears themselves have a different FR compared to one another, our auditory system relies on our brain being able to compensate for those differences.

Not to mention that 'getting used to' something is a completely subjective process where we just decide that now we like something which maybe we previously didn't.

This is part of the reason why I consider headphones with "ear measurement and correction" functionality to be a bit of snake oil, it's not like an hearing aide that you have plugged in 100% of the time, you're basically just applying an arbitrary EQ curve which your brain already does all on its own all the time.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

dbcooper posted:

So this happened today:

RIP. They served me for ~8 years at work1 and now I'm looking for a replacement pair.

I've looked at Wirecutter reviews and some of the lists on headphone.com and given all the product variations and options it's a bit overwhelming.

Work is often noisy so I appreciate the [broken] headphone's noise cancelling/dampening when officemate(s) are playing music on their speakers or having heated discussions, sometimes across offices2. The walls are thin so closing the door only gets me so far. It's handy when I'm trying to concentrate and since I'm the only programmer/IT among them, I don't expect them to get how much interruption/distractions can affect productivity.
  • Budget - $150 upper limit. $100 is easy but I can go higher if it means a more durable or comfortable pair
  • Source - A pair of 2.1 PC speakers w/ headphone jack. Some Creative speaker set probably older than the dead headphones
  • Isolation Requirements - Yes, please
  • Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, only plan on using them at my desk (no on-the-go)
  • Preferred Tonal Balance - Uhh, not sure? I'm not an audiophile
  • Past Headphones - My old pair1 worked well, turning noise cancelling on and playing music dampened most environmental noise. At home I've used a pair of Logitech G930 for online multiplayer games but I don't use them unless necessary. They're comfortable for short stretches but annoying after several hours
  • Preferred Music - At work; electronic, alternative rock, some pop, acoustic, occasionally classical3

In case it matters, I use a Linux desktop at work and idk how well USB audio devices are supported. Several years ago I tried to use my G930s on Linux and it seemed to crap out after a few minutes or so (desync?). 3.5mm audio jack works fine though

----
[1] Able Planet NC300B Active Noise Canceling Headphones. Apparently I bought them for $70 w/ S&H
[2] They're not the quietest of folk
[3] Does this list help at all?

ATH M40x/M50x. My office has an open layout and a lot of people have them. Good for drowning everything out around you. I also like Beyerdynamic DT 770s. You'd want the 32 ohm. I prefer how they sound over my M50s (older model of the M50x).

Neither of those have ANC though. Bose is the best for that but I don't know if any are in your price range.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

mariooncrack posted:

ATH M40x/M50x. My office has an open layout and a lot of people have them. Good for drowning everything out around you. I also like Beyerdynamic DT 770s. You'd want the 32 ohm. I prefer how they sound over my M50s (older model of the M50x).

Neither of those have ANC though. Bose is the best for that but I don't know if any are in your price range.

Yeah I second DT770s for this use case. I used mine in an office for years and they're perfect for it. Comfortable and block out most noise. ANC isn't really helpful for office noise anyway. 32ohm would be the best bet using onboard sound as the source. The 80s are "better" though, a bit stronger bass I think? I used 80s off onboard sound for a while, but ended up amping them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
So uh I bought an LCD-X.

I'm listening to the Ulysses 31 HD digital remaster (24 bit). I think I want to cry.

http://www.parallax.fr/9.ulysse31str/ulysse31str.htm

They revised the headphone design too. They now come stock with a suspension headband and memory foam ear pads. Ridiculously comfortable.

This is truly a midlife crisis grade pair of headphones.

That's it. I'm done. I don't see any upgrade path from these. I'll buy replacement parts or whatever in time, that's it. IEMs or Sennheiser open backs for summer.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

DancingShade posted:

So uh I bought an LCD-X.

I'm listening to the Ulysses 31 HD digital remaster (24 bit). I think I want to cry.

http://www.parallax.fr/9.ulysse31str/ulysse31str.htm

They revised the headphone design too. They now come stock with a suspension headband and memory foam ear pads. Ridiculously comfortable.

This is truly a midlife crisis grade pair of headphones.

That's it. I'm done. I don't see any upgrade path from these. I'll buy replacement parts or whatever in time, that's it. IEMs or Sennheiser open backs for summer.

Nice,

I went with the LCD-XC and I really like them. There's always something better out there, or something that sounds different enough that it's worth buying.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Massdrop X Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee went up again shipping next week. These things are a loving steal at $150. I love em. Slightly lower-hitting/"funner" tuned 650 essentially, for people unfamiliar. Not the same drivers, only 150ohm so easier to drive, but same housing etc. Anyway they're great.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask but this seemed as good a place as any. My friend's dad is running in to some hearing issues and wants to create a setup wherein he can watch tv with everyone else but there's no conflict between their volume demands.

The problem is he didn't do his research and he bought a pair of Sony BT headphones (h.ear-on MDR-100ABN) thinking he could hook them up to the BT sound bar in the living room not realising both these bits of kit are receive only afaik.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a solution that incorporates the headphones into the setup in a cordless way? Basically what he wants is the tv feeding the sound bar and at the same time while both offer separate volume control. The soundbar is being fed by optical out on the tv. There are stereo jacks available on the tv. Is it possible to do what he wants by adding some simple bit of kit or does he need to buy other stuff entirely?

Thanks for any answers, and sorry again if this isn't the right place to ask. I couldn't solve this problem with my weak Google fu and this seemed like the best place to go on SA....

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Elliptical Dick posted:

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask but this seemed as good a place as any. My friend's dad is running in to some hearing issues and wants to create a setup wherein he can watch tv with everyone else but there's no conflict between their volume demands.

The problem is he didn't do his research and he bought a pair of Sony BT headphones (h.ear-on MDR-100ABN) thinking he could hook them up to the BT sound bar in the living room not realising both these bits of kit are receive only afaik.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a solution that incorporates the headphones into the setup in a cordless way? Basically what he wants is the tv feeding the sound bar and at the same time while both offer separate volume control. The soundbar is being fed by optical out on the tv. There are stereo jacks available on the tv. Is it possible to do what he wants by adding some simple bit of kit or does he need to buy other stuff entirely?

Thanks for any answers, and sorry again if this isn't the right place to ask. I couldn't solve this problem with my weak Google fu and this seemed like the best place to go on SA....

Any bluetooth audio transmitter will do, as long as the TV has the ability to play audio through 2 different sources simultaneously. If it does, you'll be able to set the volume independently on both devices. Here's an example of such device https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-B...ansmitter&psc=1

Passburger fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 27, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm in the market for a gaming headset.

Budget: About $50 range
Source: My PC (has both jacks and usb)
Isolation: Not necessary but might be nice
Preferred Type: Either on-ear or over-ear
Preferred Balance: Anywhere between balanced and bass (I like bass more)
Past Headphones: a cheap pair of logitech headphones from 10 years ago that hurt my ears after an hour, i'm glad they finally broke
Preferred Music: video game OSTs

It's important the mic is as high quality as I can get.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Passburger posted:

Any bluetooth audio transmitter will do, as long as the TV has the ability to play audio through 2 different sources simultaneously. If it does, you'll be able to set the volume independently on both devices. Here's an example of such device https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-B...ansmitter&psc=1

Thanks man don't know how I missed this class of device.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm in the market for a gaming headset.

Budget: About $50 range
Source: My PC (has both jacks and usb)
Isolation: Not necessary but might be nice
Preferred Type: Either on-ear or over-ear
Preferred Balance: Anywhere between balanced and bass (I like bass more)
Past Headphones: a cheap pair of logitech headphones from 10 years ago that hurt my ears after an hour, i'm glad they finally broke
Preferred Music: video game OSTs

It's important the mic is as high quality as I can get.

Slightly over your budget but these are one of the best you can get for that price range.

Status Audio CB-1 Closed Back Studio Monitor Headphones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BDX1IVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kLixBb745F8D4

I absolutely love mine and wear them for hours a day at work.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Selling my LCD-x /w carbon headband if anyone is interested

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864427

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm finally doing some serious shopping for Bluetooth headphones, and I've landed on Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2s at this point. Is there anything else I should consider around the $130 price point before pulling the trigger? I think great sound is the highest priority, decent ANC might be second, tied or superceded by comfort. Battery life is probably a non-issue if it's more than 8 hours or so. I'm fairly certain I want over-ear cans rather than tethered earbuds or "true wireless" buds.

I'd love to get some Bose QC 35s or the Sony equivalent, but I can't get over the cost yet. The most I've splurged is on the Sennheiser 598se pair that is my high water mark for quality at this point. I tried to cheap out on some Cowan E7s when they were $35 on Amazon, and realized my mistake the moment I put them on.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Can anyone weigh in on if the difference between the Jabra Elite 65t and Elite 65t Active is worth the $50 price jump? I would plan to wear them to the gym where I'm not generally sweating a ton around my ears and have other headphones I could wear for my runs if necessary. I'm just not sure an accelerometer I don't need and increased(?) sweat resistance is worth $50.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 29, 2018

SRF
Oct 31, 2011
Welp, I told myself that the next time the 58X show up on massdrop, I'd buy them, and that's what I did. Can anyone who has them comment on how much they befit from a DAC/amp?

Still very much enjoying the Rose mini2, by the way. I did have some issues with one of the earpieces a couple of months in (output suddenly became very, very faint), but Penon provided a replacement. Well worth the asking price as far as I'm concerned (assuming they don't break again).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Don't have them, but at 150ohms they're absolutely going to need an amp. As long as you're not picking up interference inside your source DACs don't do anything.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

SRF posted:

Welp, I told myself that the next time the 58X show up on massdrop, I'd buy them, and that's what I did. Can anyone who has them comment on how much they befit from a DAC/amp?

Still very much enjoying the Rose mini2, by the way. I did have some issues with one of the earpieces a couple of months in (output suddenly became very, very faint), but Penon provided a replacement. Well worth the asking price as far as I'm concerned (assuming they don't break again).

They greatly benefit from an amp. Bass is noticeably tighter at all volume levels with an amp if nothing else. They really aren't bad at all unamped tho. They don't need a ton, they're great from a Fiio e10k I had, and a portable Monolith USB DAC/amp I have now. I've used them some with my fancier desktop amp and it wasn't that much better, something cheap and relatively low power is totally adequate.

I think I've posted 113 times in this thread about it, but the 58X REALLY impress me. I love em. They're by far my most used cans now.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ddogflex posted:

They greatly benefit from an amp. Bass is noticeably tighter at all volume levels with an amp if nothing else. They really aren't bad at all unamped tho. They don't need a ton, they're great from a Fiio e10k I had, and a portable Monolith USB DAC/amp I have now. I've used them some with my fancier desktop amp and it wasn't that much better, something cheap and relatively low power is totally adequate.

I think I've posted 113 times in this thread about it, but the 58X REALLY impress me. I love em. They're by far my most used cans now.

What other headphones are you comparing against?

E: Expanding on my question, do these do things differently enough to be worth as a second pair to my Focal Elex? The 58x seem to have better bass performance and they're pretty cheap

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 30, 2018

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

BurritoJustice posted:

What other headphones are you comparing against?

E: Expanding on my question, do these do things differently enough to be worth as a second pair to my Focal Elex? The 58x seem to have better bass performance and they're pretty cheap

I have 770 80s and thx00s for full-size. I’ve never tried the Elex, but they have better bass performance from everything I’ve seen. And me coming from “basshead cans” I don’t feel they’re lacking at all, esp compared to 770s.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

KingShiro posted:

Bought a pair of these, pretty good.

update: right iem dead in under a month :(.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
So my 3 year old Sennheiser 598's bit the dust, right ear started crackling out an hour ago and now it's dead. Considering how it's doubled in price, I'm not so attached to the model that I need to buy it again. Any recommendations on something similar?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

mellowjournalism posted:

So my 3 year old Sennheiser 598's bit the dust, right ear started crackling out an hour ago and now it's dead. Considering how it's doubled in price, I'm not so attached to the model that I need to buy it again. Any recommendations on something similar?

I've been using Grados for 10+ years at this point and I can't recommend them enough if you're looking for an open back design. Something like the 225e or 325e would be in a similar price range to those Sennheisers, but I could be wrong. I haven't looked at them in years since my 225i's are still going strong.

You have to be okay with the retro style and the beefy cable, though. I know for some that's a deal breaker.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

mellowjournalism posted:

I think they got replaced by a new edition which is why youre seeing such a high price. 560 maybe?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

mellowjournalism posted:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

do it you know you want to

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

lol done

Martian Manfucker posted:

I've been using Grados for 10+ years at this point and I can't recommend them enough if you're looking for an open back design. Something like the 225e or 325e would be in a similar price range to those Sennheisers, but I could be wrong. I haven't looked at them in years since my 225i's are still going strong.

You have to be okay with the retro style and the beefy cable, though. I know for some that's a deal breaker.

I definitely like the style and have no problem with the cable. I'll definitely look into Grados next since I am a little disappointed the Sennheisers only lasted 3 years :(

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'm actually really surprised your 598s failed so early, my 595s have been going strong for 12 years or so now..

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Me too! I probably need to treat my headphones better, I toss mine around too much. Any recommendations on cable management? I feel dumb because I'm sure there are tons of good solutions I am missing in tyool 2018 but I still just leave a 30ft cable dragging on the floor and getting in the way whenever I move around the room.

Side question: how long until we start seeing audiophile grade wireless headsets? Are we waiting for some kind of new protocol better than bluetooth or something? where are my robot butlers etc

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 2, 2018

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I'd personally like to see a noise canceling portable dac/amp that I could plug any headphones into.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bodyholes posted:

I'd personally like to see a noise canceling portable dac/amp that I could plug any headphones into.

For noise cancelling to work the headphones have to know what audio is coming at your left and right ears separately. A dac couldn't do that without also running mic cables that you glue to the side of your head

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

mellowjournalism posted:

Me too! I probably need to treat my headphones better, I toss mine around too much. Any recommendations on cable management? I feel dumb because I'm sure there are tons of good solutions I am missing in tyool 2018 but I still just leave a 30ft cable dragging on the floor and getting in the way whenever I move around the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1zO_dRjkM

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

For noise cancelling to work the headphones have to know what audio is coming at your left and right ears separately. A dac couldn't do that without also running mic cables that you glue to the side of your head

Wireless mic you could clip to the headphones. Canceling a droning environmental noise shouldn't require the utmost fidelity.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bodyholes posted:

Wireless mic you could clip to the headphones. Canceling a droning environmental noise shouldn't require the utmost fidelity.

Wireless mics. one for each ear facing away from the driver. Thats how noise cancelling works

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

You are gonna be so happy dude. They’re definitely a jump up from your old ones. Also literally all the parts are replaceable so you can fix if it breaks.

Also look into a cheap amp if you don’t have one. They’re still good without but noticeably better with more power.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I'm pretty hyped, my ears are getting pickier and I'm ready to invest more into audio. So I should just go with the Monoprice Monolith USB DAC? I also saw the Massdrop Objective 2 on the last page if that would sound better.

amazing. I'll need a longer/thinner cable for this so I'll come back to it later but lol I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mellowjournalism posted:

I'm pretty hyped, my ears are getting pickier and I'm ready to invest more into audio. So I should just go with the Monoprice Monolith USB DAC? I also saw the Massdrop Objective 2 on the last page if that would sound better.

amazing. I'll need a longer/thinner cable for this so I'll come back to it later but lol I love it

DACs don't do anything unless you have a problem with your source. The 58X will benefit from an amp, and it's my understanding that the objective 2 is well regarded, but they're not an area of my expertise.