Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Disney doesn’t own Universal yet, so they? Make a slither 2 now before they suck that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

21 Muns posted:

I actually don't think this is that likely because Patrick Stewart is really old and could drop over dead at any time; no way is Disney going to stake their absurd money-printing machine on Patrick Stewart's actuarial tables working out.

I imagine Disney's X-Men acquisition is going to be a full purge of the old actors.

That said, being old isn't stopping Disney from dragging Stan Lee out for cameos.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I imagine they'll re-cast every single x-men role. I'm sure if they could somehow convince Jackman to come back they'd jump at that, but aside from him it's probably better to just go for a fresh start with all of the characters.

Edit: beaten

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Feldegast42 posted:

The only good thing about this is that we aren't completely in hellword since Comcast didn't pick them up

I don't know how this is a better outcome.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm going to talk about a dream I had a few months ago. I'm sure I posted it before but it was weird enough to warrant reposting it.

I had a dream I was on the set of a Marvel movie. I don't think I was acting in it. Just working on the set. Anyway, we're filming the Stan Lee cameo. And for some reason pool old Stan was picking up props and big heavy set pieces. I went to go grab whatever prop he was moving to do it for him and a body guard stopped me. "No. He has to do it himself."

And that's kinda all I remember before waking up.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
With Gunn out and the Fox deal a lock I'm guessing MCU Phase 4 will now focus less on the "cosmic" stuff and more on "Somehow SHIELD managed to be aware of everything for the last 60 years except the existence of mutants"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Disney is going to control a poo poo ton more TV now, too. Hulu and a whole lotta sports (but not all of Fox sports? Kinda fuzzy on the specifics).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sports and News weren't part of the deal.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sports and News weren't part of the deal.

Yes and no. Fox Sports is still its own company but Disney acquired Fox's regional sports networks.

Buuuut they agreed to sell the networks immediately for antitrust reasons. The original article I read on this was too old to have this detail. So all in all it doesn't sound like they'll have more sports.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lobok posted:

Disney is going to control a poo poo ton more TV now, too. Hulu and a whole lotta sports (but not all of Fox sports? Kinda fuzzy on the specifics).

So would this mean that all the Disney stuff on Netflix is going to go on Hulu?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

JethroMcB posted:

With Gunn out and the Fox deal a lock I'm guessing MCU Phase 4 will now focus less on the "cosmic" stuff and more on "Somehow SHIELD managed to be aware of everything for the last 60 years except the existence of mutants"

Safe bet is mutants being a side effect of reality being reset at the end of the next Avengers movie. The Infinity Stones are basically the narrative equivalent of an infinitely reloading ejection seat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Its already being phased off Netflix as theres no new contract and laffo theyll let Hulu die now that they have Abc+Fox to make their own streaming platform with

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

marshmallow creep posted:

Wherever they end up it's been known for a while now that Disney's stuff on Netflix was not going to be there for much longer. If Disney owns a majority stake in Hulu I wouldn't be surprised if it's rebranded/relaunched as something new.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Disney's own streaming service rolls put soon.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lobok posted:

Apparently Murdoch wanted to keep control of Fox Sports and Fox News. One of the stories that came out when the merger first proposed was that the President immediately called Rupert Murdoch wondering what was going to happen to Fox News.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Netflix bought Mowgli off of Warner Bros, pushing the release from October to 2019. Apparently the 3D version will still screen in theaters.

Remember when Netflix posted a huge quarterly loss a few weeks ago and analysts were falling over themselves to say "I think Netflix is losing money because, uhhh...House of Cards was delayed," and not "Netflix keeps paying studios millions of dollars for the rights to movies that were probably going to struggle at the box office if not outright bomb?"

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

JethroMcB posted:

Netflix bought Mowgli off of Warner Bros, pushing the release from October to 2019. Apparently the 3D version will still screen in theaters.

Remember when Netflix posted a huge quarterly loss a few weeks ago and analysts were falling over themselves to say "I think Netflix is losing money because, uhhh...House of Cards was delayed," and not "Netflix keeps paying studios millions of dollars for the rights to movies that were probably going to struggle at the box office if not outright bomb?"

the amount of spin in that Deadline article is hilarious. yeah, I'm sure the reasons WB sold it off after delaying it for two years have nothing to do with its quality

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Star Wars: Episode IX will begin filming at London’s Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the final installment of the Skywalker saga. Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio.

Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

Composer John Williams, who has scored every chapter in the Star Wars saga since 1977’s A New Hope, will return to a galaxy far, far away with Episode IX. Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Michelle Rejwan, and executive produced by Callum Greene and Jason McGatlin. The crew includes Dan Mindel (Director of Photography), Rick Carter and Kevin Jenkins (Co-Production Designers), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Neal Scanlan (Creature and Droid FX), Maryann Brandon and Stefan Grube (Editors), Roger Guyett (VFX Supervisor), Tommy Gormley (1st AD), and Victoria Mahoney (2nd Unit Director).

https://www.newsarama.com/41142-star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced-including-carrie-fisher.html?utm_source=notification

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
“We won’t CGI Leia, promise!” — the director who is 110% going to CGI Leia and pretend that it was existing footage.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just cgi her, no one cares. I don't care. She's dead, who cares. Just do it. You know you want to. If you want to respect her memory have her do something actually interesting and have people in the Galaxy not ignore her calls for help

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Just cgi her, no one cares. I don't care. She's dead, who cares. Just do it. You know you want to. If you want to respect her memory have her do something actually interesting and have people in the Galaxy not ignore her calls for help

Slap a wig on Max Reebo and let’s get this poo poo in the can.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

Disney doesn’t own Universal yet, so they? Make a slither 2 now before they suck that up

Give them time, they probably want the full Hulk rights and the ability to use Marvel characters in Disney World, as they are stuck in a never ending contact with Universal Studio Florida.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Yeah, I’d much rather that they CGI her and give her a fitting send off then do some awkward editing to cobble a death scene out of cutting room footage. Or, gently caress it, maybe even recast the role. I love Carrie and her memory should be respected but I feel that the best way of doing it is to give Leia a fitting sendoff instead of, I dunno, throwing her out of a spaceship again but have it stick this time.

In fact, as my post suggests, I’m pretty sure they’re going the CGI route anyway and just lying to avoid people being outraged for dumb reasons. People protested the CGI Tarkin and Rogue One Leia because both of them were pointless, but there’s a solid case to be made for CGI Leia in Episode IV.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 27, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, I’d much rather that they CGI her and give her a fitting send off then do some awkward editing and cutting to cobble a death scene out of cutting room footage. Or, gently caress it, maybe even recast the role. I love Carrie and her memory should be respected but I feel that the best way of doing it is to give Leia a fitting sendoff instead of, I dunno, throwing her out of a spaceship again but have it stick this time.
That's my feeling. I doubt they have deleted footage just sitting around that's somehow more respectful than her just dying off scene. They're probably going to edit some stuff really heavily and Billie gave it her ok.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What if she doesn’t die but just says goodbye and lives happily somewhere.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"No, you see, we didn't add any more CG to Carrie. That was leftover CG from Force Awakens."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I imagine Disney's X-Men acquisition is going to be a full purge of the old actors.

That said, being old isn't stopping Disney from dragging Stan Lee out for cameos.

Disappointed that Anna Paquin (and so is she) will never be super-strong flying Rogue, since now she and Captain Marvel can exist in the same film franchise.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Had JJ Abrams ever written a satisfying ending to anything?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That one about the kids making a zombie movie and befriending an alien had a decent ending

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Casimir Radon posted:

Super 8 seemed fine iirc. Uh, he also apparently helped write Armageddon which also had a fine ending?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Casimir Radon posted:

He didn’t write the endings to any of the TV shows he created/produced.

That said... Mission Impossible: 3?

GrandpaPants posted:

Uh, he also apparently helped write Armageddon which also had a fine ending?

I just had a very similar reaction when double checking his IMDB page. Either I’ve missed that in the past or he did a previously uncredited rewrite.

[Edit: Ebert has this to say in the review of Regarding Henry, JJ’s first solo writing credit:

”Roger Ebert” posted:

The screenplay by Jeffrey Abrams, in fact, constantly goes for the laugh over the possible reality. It has an annoying trick of teaching Henry a new word and then having him proudly trot it out to wrap up a complicated scene. The way the movie makes a connection between Ritz Crackers and the Ritz-Carlton hotel is especially annoying, combining cheap sentiment with a cheap laugh - and cheap product placement.

Guess JJ’s always been JJ, huh.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 27, 2018

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Super 8 seemed fine iirc. Uh, he also apparently helped write Armageddon which also had a fine ending?

You mean the alien who we tortured for years going home to tell all his alien buds about us who are surely going to come wipe out humanity, and everyone being happy about it? That ending?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I forgot about Super 8. I liked it a lot.

lelandjs posted:

He didn’t write the endings to any of the TV shows he created/produced.
Still, I think his approach involves setting up all these plot threads without any idea of how they can be resolved. I never bothered to watch Lost because it seemed like he was never going to be able to resolve anything, and apparently whoever had to try and pickup the pieces didn't manage to fix it.

Edit: Regarding Henry has some serious issues but the basic outline of an amnesiac coming to the realization that he was a scumbag in his former life and doing what he can to attone could work. Also Bill Nunn was good.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 27, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They should've just killed Leia off in Episode VIII. They had the perfect opportunity and they blew it. This is a problem that doesn't need to exist, and yet it does.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Vince MechMahon posted:

You mean the alien who we tortured for years going home to tell all his alien buds about us who are surely going to come wipe out humanity, and everyone being happy about it? That ending?

Sounds like a problem for Super 8 2 but Super 8 ended fine!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Sounds satisfying to me.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GrandpaPants posted:

Sounds like a problem for Super 8 2 but Super 8 ended fine!

Isn’t... Isn’t Cloverfield Super 8 2? Except it came out first?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They should've just killed Leia off in Episode VIII. They had the perfect opportunity and they blew it. This is a problem that doesn't need to exist, and yet it does.

Yeah, this. They would have had to do some reshoots, but Leia dying would have given a lot more weight to Poe losing his poo poo.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What an interesting day for Fox to start leaking rumors that they were killing the New Mutants and Phoenix movies because of how unhappy they are with them.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If ghosts were real, Carrie Fisher would probably be dropping in on JJ to call him a huge bitch who can't seal the deal for compromising the movie by not having the balls to recast the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Casimir Radon posted:

Disney's own streaming service rolls put soon.

This is going to be huge. They own so much content AND they own a controlling interest in BAMTech which is the backend for the streaming service. I think it could very well overtake Netflix in terms of subscribers.