Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Slurping food in the presence of others should be punishable by death.

Although Endeavour probably deserves it.

It's often considered good manners to slurp noodles in other countries.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SpacePig posted:

This is what should've been asked about at the Comic-Con panel. When are we seeing this in the manga proper, Horikoshi?!

SHOW US THE CATS HORIKOSHI

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Honestly, I would love to see more Miruko kicking rear end.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It's often considered *good* manners to slurp noodles in other countries.

Including Japan. It throws me like crazy because its such a polite country, but you go into a ramen place and its 100% *SLUUUUURP*.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vengarr posted:

Including Japan. It throws me like crazy because its such a polite country, but you go into a ramen place and its 100% *SLUUUUURP*.
The movie Tampopo has a great scene about this if I recall

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I feel that this Todoroki arc was handled extremely well, shout out to Horikoshi for showing the multiple range of possibilities when it comes to abuse (one who rejects atonement completely, one who believes everything will become normal, and one who is trying to differentiate multiple aspects of that person's character). At the very least Endeavor is aware that he's never going to be forgiven, and he's just trying to make up for past actions

A deep dive into the origin of One for All is gonna be really good, especially with chapter 200 coming up. It'll be funny if Midoriya somehow has a stronger connection to the Quirk than All Might

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I like that "Can't You See?!" is an immediate in-universe meme.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Vengarr posted:

I also like that that became the meme rather than, say, Endeavor's victory pose. It's still supportive of Endeavor, but it has some resistance built into it as well, since it acknowledges there are people that don't see.

Also I was definitely surprised that Endeavor's eye made it. I can be bad at guessing what's going to happen in general, but my track record for this series in particular is atrocious.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RIP all those dope Eye-deavor fanarts

you shall be missed

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fabricated posted:

The movie Tampopo has a great scene about this if I recall

The spaghetti-eating class one?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"nasty scar you've got there" followed by the zoom-in panel was probably the funnies moment in the entire series

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Vengarr posted:

What's great about it, is that is definitely shows that Horikoshi understands internet culture better than the average mangaka.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vengarr posted:

This is entirely secondhand knowledge, but from what I've read and watched that's actually supposed to be both respectful (shows appreciation or something, unless I'm thinking of a different behavior that's considered rude here, and also, well, see the following for why it might be disrespectful not to slurp it) and actually the right way to eat ramen; it's supposed to be servedhot, and good ramen noodles will basically dissolve in minutes if left to sit in hot broth like that, so you slurp it down to eat it without burning yourself. No wasting time and noodles, you eat that poo poo now.

Not sure if or how that still applies to other noodles; I know soba can be served cold, for example. But, that's what I've heard at least.

Meanwhile, on the topic of the chapter, yeah, I'm going to say that I'm pleased with how the Endeavor stuff is being handled. It's rough stuff, but Horikoshi showed that he grasps it fairly well and managed to get to this point without SJ's editors jumping on him. (Though I'm curious how he managed to get this far while AssClass and others did not; is it because Endeavor is still a hero and/or was set up as being headed for, well, not redemption exactly, but atonement perhaps, while in the others the bad parents were outright villainous?)

Also, on the topic of Dabi being Todoroki Touya, besides all the heavy hints we've been getting, I'm going to say that something someone said is a sign that he's not a Todoroki a chapter or two ago is actually possibly evidence that he is: The blue fire he makes. The person (can't remember who, sorry) said that since Endeavor has normal fire, they're probably entirely different fire quirks, but what I'm thinking is, Endeavor wanted to combine his quirk with Rei's to make an even better hero quirk and all that, and prior to Shoto all the attempts were "failures". So, what if for one kid their quirks did at least partially fuse, but instead of a super-quirk like Shoto's, the fire and ice made... Blue fire. That'd likely be a pretty enraging failure to Endeavor, a cosmetic upgrade to his own flames rather than something better.

(Or maybe it just manifested as regular fire at first, before developing, since that's a possibility too, and someone, possibly the same poster I'm thinking of above, made the point that if Dabi is Endeavor's son it seems like he and the others should have possibly made the connection between the blue flames and Touya. We'll see, I suppose.)

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

This is a good chapter. I think I can breath a sigh of relief now, Horikoshi is handling the subject well.

Also, "That's... a nasty scar you got there" :drat:

sluuuuurp

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
And the landing is stuck, assuaging my fears entirely

good chapter

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochii/status/1022691927425077248

Looks like next week is going to be a filler episode for the anime. Which is to be expected given the stuff added to the OP.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 27, 2018

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Never before have I been stoked for filler

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think we need to make a new category for MHA filler that is basically the creators stuffing in scenes that the author just didn't have the time to include in the original chapter.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

I have a feeling that when Dabi's quirk manifested it was so powerful that it engulfed his body and that's why he has skin stapled all over him. It would probably be something that Endeavor was ashamed of. Or who knows, maybe Endeavor was so frustrated that his first child didn't come out the way he wanted that he burned him, though that possibility is so dark that it would once again make Endeavor completely unredeemable.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah this filler is the kinda stuff I like being added.

This chapter also laid to rest my fears regarding how Endeavor will be handled, which I'm happy about.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

Also, on the topic of Dabi being Todoroki Touya, besides all the heavy hints we've been getting, I'm going to say that something someone said is a sign that he's not a Todoroki a chapter or two ago is actually possibly evidence that he is: The blue fire he makes. The person (can't remember who, sorry) said that since Endeavor has normal fire, they're probably entirely different fire quirks, but what I'm thinking is, Endeavor wanted to combine his quirk with Rei's to make an even better hero quirk and all that, and prior to Shoto all the attempts were "failures". So, what if for one kid their quirks did at least partially fuse, but instead of a super-quirk like Shoto's, the fire and ice made... Blue fire. That'd likely be a pretty enraging failure to Endeavor, a cosmetic upgrade to his own flames rather than something better.

(Or maybe it just manifested as regular fire at first, before developing, since that's a possibility too, and someone, possibly the same poster I'm thinking of above, made the point that if Dabi is Endeavor's son it seems like he and the others should have possibly made the connection between the blue flames and Touya. We'll see, I suppose.)

Natsu mentions this chapter that Endeavor deliberately kept everyone in his family separated from Todoroki and so they didn't know anything about him. Endeavor's view of Dabi was obscured by his annihilated eye and extreme combat fatigue, but Todoroki got a very good look at Dabi before he vanished into Kurogiri's portal. If the other siblings were deliberately kept separate from Todoroki then that'd explain him not recognizing Dabi -- either that, or Todoroki was too young to remember him when he was driven away from the family / presumed killed by Endeavor.

That's if Dabi is Touya, anyway.

Zebia posted:

I have a feeling that when Dabi's quirk manifested it was so powerful that it engulfed his body and that's why he has skin stapled all over him. It would probably be something that Endeavor was ashamed of. Or who knows, maybe Endeavor was so frustrated that his first child didn't come out the way he wanted that he burned him, though that possibility is so dark that it would once again make Endeavor completely unredeemable.

I'm curious to see what the other translations are of that panel where Endeavor reflects on him ending a person's future.

As another possibility, Touya could have gotten fed up with Endeavor, tried to fight him, and got scorched.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The severity of his injuries is a bit of a cop out, the story was handled passably.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My guess is that Dabi’s flames are the real deal and even stronger, and they were just so powerful he burned himself when Endeavor was doing his ridiculously harsh training

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like how Endeavor is so spent from hitting his max that he can’t even make his fire mustache

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Excited to see Aang learn about all the past Avatars

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Touya either ran away or commited suicide (faked his own death if he's dabi? Pyre?)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Roland Jones posted:

This is entirely secondhand knowledge, but from what I've read and watched that's actually supposed to be both respectful (shows appreciation or something, unless I'm thinking of a different behavior that's considered rude here, and also, well, see the following for why it might be disrespectful not to slurp it) and actually the right way to eat ramen; it's supposed to be servedhot, and good ramen noodles will basically dissolve in minutes if left to sit in hot broth like that, so you slurp it down to eat it without burning yourself. No wasting time and noodles, you eat that poo poo now.

I don't know what kind of garbage ramen you've been eating, but good ramen definitely doesn't dissolve if you let it sit for a few minutes.

Even instant ramen doesn't get soggy unless you leave it out for like half an hour.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neo_Crimson posted:

I don't know what kind of garbage ramen you've been eating, but good ramen definitely doesn't dissolve if you let it sit for a few minutes.

Even instant ramen doesn't get soggy unless you leave it out for like half an hour.

Really? Huh. Like I said, I heard the opposite while reading up on and watching things about different Japanese food, that instant, crap ramen will stay solid but good, fresh restaurant ramen in steaming hot broth can melt quickly or something, due to being overcooked by the hot broth, which can also affect the taste of the broth itself. It admittedly was... About a year ago, now that I think about it, that I was looking into that stuff, though, so maybe I'm misremembering. Or maybe I was lied to. But I definitely remember that, which made slurping important for two reasons: It helps you eat it before that happens, and it'd be disrespectful to the chef to let it happen.

Also apparently slurping it actually makes it taste better? Not sure how true that is, but some Googling on the subject is telling me that as well.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 27, 2018

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
I think what's happening is that someone who eats ramen every day of their life can tell the difference between fresh noodles and 10-minute soaked noodles, and most like texture of the former better. Then they massively overstate the case when explaining "The One True Way To Eat Ramen" to the uninformed.

And yes, getting air into the broth by slurping both cools it and lets you taste it better.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder what the significance of Deku's hand being the only solid part of his body in that dream/vision is.

All Might is wispy/smoky which I think speaks to that he's not dead yet and not fully part of the One For All collective. The other holders of OFA are fully solid and in clear view, and I don't remember where it was said but I'm pretty sure everyone prior to All Might is dead now. Deku's hand is the hand that he wrecked almost to the point of uselessness, so does that mean that the power from that hand is now fully integrated with the OFA collective?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder what the significance of Deku's hand being the only solid part of his body in that dream/vision is.

All Might is wispy/smoky which I think speaks to that he's not dead yet and not fully part of the One For All collective. The other holders of OFA are fully solid and in clear view, and I don't remember where it was said but I'm pretty sure everyone prior to All Might is dead now. Deku's hand is the hand that he wrecked almost to the point of uselessness, so does that mean that the power from that hand is now fully integrated with the OFA collective?

OfA is a power based on the idea of its holder being a martyr who's willing to exhaust themselves for their ideals. Midoriya's hand is proof of his martyrdom

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I thought maybe it was supposed to represent how much control Deku has over OfA. He's only mastered a fraction of it, so only a fraction of him appears in this dream.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Radish posted:

Also Shouto dropping some serious shade with the that's some scar line.

i completely lost my poo poo at those three panels

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Endeavor's whole character design is really loving good

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Radish posted:

Also Shouto dropping some serious shade with the that's some scar line.

This is now one of the top scenes I want to see animated. Perfect delivery.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

This is now one of the top scenes I want to see animated. Perfect delivery.
:same:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The passive aggressive slurping is the best and somehow Not-Sasuke ends up being the funniest character in the series who saw that coming

Well I mean I did after the Hand Crusher bit but still...

Roland Jones posted:

Really? Huh. Like I said, I heard the opposite while reading up on and watching things about different Japanese food, that instant, crap ramen will stay solid but good, fresh restaurant ramen in steaming hot broth can melt quickly or something, due to being overcooked by the hot broth, which can also affect the taste of the broth itself. It admittedly was... About a year ago, now that I think about it, that I was looking into that stuff, though, so maybe I'm misremembering. Or maybe I was lied to. But I definitely remember that, which made slurping important for two reasons: It helps you eat it before that happens, and it'd be disrespectful to the chef to let it happen.

Also apparently slurping it actually makes it taste better? Not sure how true that is, but some Googling on the subject is telling me that as well.

It definitely sounds like you're getting suckered into some weird foreign food mystique poo poo cause ramen is just noodles not magical ephemeral sustenance of the gods that fades away at the merest improper treatment, symbolic of the fragility and beauty of the Yamato spirit

Countblanc posted:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Countblanc posted:

"My name is Wan Phorr Al."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the comic offhandedly saying that miruko, lone wolf bunny extraordinaire, went off to search for the League alone sure makes me hope that we don't get a mysteriously rabbit-eared Nomu popping up anytime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

the comic offhandedly saying that miruko, lone wolf bunny extraordinaire, went off to search for the League alone sure makes me hope that we don't get a mysteriously rabbit-eared Nomu popping up anytime soon

Yeah, I'm getting increasingly worried for her well being. :ohdear:

Either that, or she ends up coming across Hawks while he's meeting up with Dabi and either blows his cover or forces him to go even deeper undercover and run off with the League.