Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I like Rokugan but it is very simple if you are wanting a meaty DOAM game. Really great bluffing though, the order token system is ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How is Gloomhaven on Tabletop Simulator? I have basically no experience using TTS, at all, for anything. My primary concern is spoilers :ohdear:. Can I open up scenarios and place monsters and characters and keep campaign records and edit the world map and alllll the other things I'd want to do, without opening some menu that says "Select from: Cragheart, Scoundrel, [Flobbydee], [Gogglemop]" or whatever?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I will be a voice of dissent for Battle for Rokugan. It has what I consider imbalanced hidden objectives, you can draw a hand of weak tiles and get owned for a round (unless your opponents respect all of your bluffs), and your decision space (also your ability to come back when behind) gets squeezed when you are behind. It has some cool ideas, but I bounced from it pretty hard.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Bottom Liner posted:

I like Rokugan but it is very simple if you are wanting a meaty DOAM game. Really great bluffing though, the order token system is ace.

Nah, I'm not looking for anything meaty. In an ideal world I'd buy Kemet but shipping is too expensive due to minis.

Shadow225 posted:

I will be a voice of dissent for Battle for Rokugan. It has what I consider imbalanced hidden objectives, you can draw a hand of weak tiles and get owned for a round (unless your opponents respect all of your bluffs), and your decision space (also your ability to come back when behind) gets squeezed when you are behind. It has some cool ideas, but I bounced from it pretty hard.

Someone on BGG mentioned this, too. Could you fix it by making the objectives open information?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SuperKlaus posted:

How is Gloomhaven on Tabletop Simulator? I have basically no experience using TTS, at all, for anything. My primary concern is spoilers :ohdear:. Can I open up scenarios and place monsters and characters and keep campaign records and edit the world map and alllll the other things I'd want to do, without opening some menu that says "Select from: Cragheart, Scoundrel, [Flobbydee], [Gogglemop]" or whatever?

You should play Final Fantasy Tactics if you are just going to do it on a computer anyway.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Honestly they are swingy enough that if you were going to house rule, I would suggest getting rid of them entirely.

If I remember correctly, you draw two, keep one at the beginning of the game. I played a 3P game and these were the goals that we kept (may not be exact):
- Control either two provinces OR the capital in a specific territory for 7 points.
- Control 6 coastal provinces for 10 points
- Control at least one province in 7 different territories for 10 points.

I will let you guess which of the three of us completed the objective and also won. They are there to help guide starting placements and positions, but do not feel balanced at all.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Azran posted:

Nah, I'm not looking for anything meaty. In an ideal world I'd buy Kemet but shipping is too expensive due to minis.

Someone on BGG mentioned this, too. Could you fix it by making the objectives open information?

I think that would sink the game in any situation where people were really playing to win. That you don't quite know how everyone is doing or what they're necessarily going for prevents the game from being solvable during the last turn.

A potentially interesting variant would be to have one or two fewer objectives than players showing publicly and let people compete for them, although that might just mean the first player in the last round is straight up hosed since 4 people go after them. It also brings the solvable problem back in and I loathe any game where the last turn is spent continuously recalculating scores.

I've played it five times now though and I don't really see the need for changing the rules as written. It's true the objectives aren't super balanced (nor are the clans, really), but for the type of game it is, I'm not sure it matters. Your objective may help, but mostly you're going to win by convincing other people to fight just like you do in GoT or Diplomacy.

All in all isn't an amazing game for all situations but it's been a big hit in my five player group. It's fast and hits a lot of what makes Game of Thrones fun without the time commitment and bloat. It's definitely not for people who want the long term strategizing and tight control that something like Kemet gives you.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Just got Founders of Gloomhaven in the mail, anyone tried it or have thoughts on it? Didn't see anything in the last few pages.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Kiranamos posted:

Just got Founders of Gloomhaven in the mail, anyone tried it or have thoughts on it? Didn't see anything in the last few pages.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet :(

This weekend I hope to get in some gaming but unfortunately I have Container, Colonial Twilight and some other stuff higher on the priority list.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I posted my impressions after one game a few pages back.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

With my inaugural game of Founders this Sunday and hopefully getting my copy of Root someone next week, it's going to be an exciting board game period.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Kiranamos posted:

I got my copy today too! :hfive: Just finished punching everything out and sorting all of the damned colors of cubes.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Working out the scoring as you get late into the game can get a bit mind screwy. Only played the one game but it was a lot of fun.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm still undecided on Root -- does it feel like it's worth having if you already play COIN?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rutibex posted:

You should play Final Fantasy Tactics if you are just going to do it on a computer anyway.

I'm probably going to play Gloomhaven on TTS anyway, but this is a good post.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Container is in stock and Root is available for preorder at a great price at CSI

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/248888

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/261974

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My Root finally went from 'preshipping' to 'delivery on Monday', which is amazing. Was starting to lose hope of playing it next week.

Also my Founders shipment bumped up a few days to Monday as well. Was really hoping to have some time between those two, because my friends are pumped for Root, not so much Founders.

Pax Pamir 2.0 upgrade kit isn't happening though. I was reading the bgg earlier, Cole said that basically everything has been reworked. It's like TI3->4 scale of changes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cole is self publishing Pax Pamir so don’t sleep on it if you want it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Root is available for preorder at a great price at CSI

Yeah that's a really good deal. If the expansion gets the same percentage off, it would be just a few dollars above the kickstarter price (and within the shipping margin if you have a local store and pick it up), which is super reasonable.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
After bitching on BGG I got my shipping notice today for Brass Lancashire/Birmingham. Yay!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I just went back and listened to the heavy cardboard episode interview with Martin Wallace and...holy crap he sounds exactly like me and other nerds and he's pretty cool.

Also apparently he wants to make a civilization game that's actually good, and in his words, "the only good one is the francis tresham one and that's too long".

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Container is in stock and Root is available for preorder at a great price at CSI

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/248888

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/261974

Arboretum Deluxe also went up for preorder at Cardhaus at a price you can’t afford to miss! https://www.cardhaus.com/arboretum-deluxe/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Arboretum Deluxe also went up for preorder at Cardhaus at a price you can’t afford to miss! https://www.cardhaus.com/arboretum-deluxe/

It's also up on board game bliss for 30 Canadian. https://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/arboretum-deluxe?variant=8817720426547

I'm thinking about grabbing this and Teotihuacan (which is 42 Canadian).

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

SuperKlaus posted:

How is Gloomhaven on Tabletop Simulator?

I'm not sure about spoilers, but I tried with some friends and it was really fiddly. It might be just that we weren't super familiar with TTS, or used a bad version of it, but it was pretty frustrating. The set up time for everything is already kind of intense in the normal game, and it's a pretty big hassle on TTS as well.

There might be good versions that automate it, but for me it wasn't worth trying to get it working smoothly.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's very good for a TTS module, but yeah TTS is extremely fiddly in general

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
So in the last few weeks I've had the following delivered from KS:

Near & Far Amber Mines
ASOIAF Miniatures
Container
Mint Delivery
Founders of Gloomhaven

I expect the following are en route to arrive any day now:

Brass Birmingham
Brass Lancashire
Root
The Networks: Executives

And I leave for Gen Con on Monday where I'm sure I'll pick up a few new things as well.
Summertime is really overwhelming for this hobby. :sweatdrop:

e: Oh yeah, and Western Legends and Dice Hospital both sound to be on track for Aug/Sep delivery, too.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 28, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

There's a very good gloomhaven module that automates setup entirely and a lot of other fiddly functions. I highly recommend it because it's honestly easier to play than live which I normally wouldn't expect in tts.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Do you know which one it is? I tried a couple, but couldn't find one that automated set up and actually worked.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Glagha posted:

There's a very good gloomhaven module that automates setup entirely and a lot of other fiddly functions. I highly recommend it because it's honestly easier to play than live which I normally wouldn't expect in tts.

whats it called

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything dire missing form my board gaming collection?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Turtlicious posted:

Hey now there's at least a couple decent games in there.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Turtlicious posted:

Hanabi/Sushi Go are great imo but depends what you are in to!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my group won't stop buying me things / asking to play zombicide. my dnd group is asking me to run the new zombicide rpg, this is a cry for help.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Turtlicious posted:

I see high conflict semi cooperative games in there. Get John company.
Big minis, high player interaction? Container.
And if you need one midweight euro: the great Zimbabwe.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Turtlicious posted:

my group won't stop buying me things / asking to play zombicide. my dnd group is asking me to run the new zombicide rpg, this is a cry for help.

Twilight Imperium :getin: I'm also partial to Argent: The Consortium if you like worker placement games with a lot of interactivity between the players! It's fairly heavy though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Like, literally fairly heavy. Also a massive table hog. Argent is really good, I'm still bummed I didn't get the 2e upgrade.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

FulsomFrank posted:

Wonder if there would be an upgrade kit or something but considering this looks like an upgrade would contain basically everything I don't hold out much hope.

Speaking of Eklund, was looking over Cole's BGG ratings and was reading his review of Origins: How We Became Human and was curious if anyone who had played it can weigh in on how it is? It looks really interesting and Civ games are maybe my favourite genre.

Origins is interesting alright. The rules are a bear and in Sierra Madre tradition the play is difficult too. As in, you could do anything, but the consequences of what you do aren't immediately obvious. The first game we played of it was 5 hours and we abandoned play being nowhere near the finish. My species had just started a million year trek to circle the Pacific whey they could actually thrive. Another player was trying to domesticate giraffes and failing.

However, someone in my circle got interested and started playing it regularly. They got it down to an art and could finish games in 2 hours. They also felt by the end that the game was a bit scripted.

In summary: difficult and a bit of an investment, but unique if you get that far.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

StashAugustine posted:

It's very good for a TTS module, but yeah TTS is extremely fiddly in general

That's my experience too: just using TTS is a fiddly and slightly frustrating exercise.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Like, literally fairly heavy. Also a massive table hog. Argent is really good, I'm still bummed I didn't get the 2e upgrade.

I finally got all of Argent in one box and it earned the distinction of becoming a horozontaly shelved game. poo poo is so heavy. 2e fixed the #1 complaint my friends had about the game so I had to get it, or suffer people saying "the colors confuse me" every time I break it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

nonathlon posted:

That's my experience too: just using TTS is a fiddly and slightly frustrating exercise.

People always tell me how much better it is than vassal and it just makes me scratch my head.