Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cythereal posted:

Guys, this poo poo is why talking about the atomic bombings was banned in the last thread.

There needs to be a term like "Godwin," but regarding the decision to drop the A-bomb.

"Man, you totally Trumaned the thread."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

EggsAisle posted:

This is a fairly random and oddly specific thought that occurred to me in the wee hours of the morning: it's shortly after Barbarossa has launched. You're Russian by birth, a loyal communist, and you teach German. Are you pressured to stop teaching German? Are people suspicious of you? Do you start working for the state in the intelligence arm? Or maybe nobody cares much, I dunno.

This is only very tangentially related to your question, but you might be interested in the 1968 GDR film I Was Nineteen, which tells the story of a German boy whose family fled from the Nazis to Moscow. He joins the Red Army's invasion of Germany in 1945 (19 years old at the time, hence the title), acting as mediator between the soldiers and the German people. Large parts of the film are based on the personal experiences of its director, Konrad Wolf. It's a pretty sobering look at a person whose loyalty's divided between two warring factions and who's given an enormous responsibility at a very young age.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

aphid_licker posted:

Imagine being the dude who has to arm the incendiary backpacks on a thousand bats

Although I'm sure they'd source them from somewhere much closer imagine getting a shipment of hundreds of thousands of dead bats from Carlsbad because some clown forgot to poke some god drat airholes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cythereal posted:

To quote the US Naval Institute:

Guys, this poo poo is why talking about the atomic bombings was banned in the last thread.
You say that and then post such cool stuff. That's not fair.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

You know how in the military they tell you "never volunteer?"

quote:

Weapons intended to destroy tanks, planes, or even buildings could be tested against inanimate objects. But toxic gases were meant for human targets. Thus, volunteers—thousands of U.S. and Australian servicemen—were experimentally exposed. The precise number of men on whom gases were tested may never be known, but the U.S. Navy alone had at least 65,000 test volunteers from the Great Lakes training station near Chicago.

That's why. Holy poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You say that and then post such cool stuff. That's not fair.

Yeah, really. I thought the discussion's been pretty civil anyway.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Ww1 was mostly barbed wire, not razor wire? The idea was to tangle people up so they could then be shot?

How big were the fields/ how high did the wire go? I'm under the impression that in some places they just erected a big cube of wire so you couldn't go over or under

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Ww1 was mostly barbed wire, not razor wire? The idea was to tangle people up so they could then be shot?

More "so they can't get into our trench without a disproportionate amount of extremely loud faffing about, and then they can be shot". A while ago I posted this video of a couple of random dudes trying to climb over the very simplest of barbed-wire fences, with the benefit of not being shot at and not hauling 40 pounds of shite on their backs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0qxpgYY2Jw

And then you leave gaps in the wire so people can get in and out, but of course that's where you place all your machine guns and other such supporting tomfoolery...

quote:

How big were the fields/ how high did the wire go? I'm under the impression that in some places they just erected a big cube of wire so you couldn't go over or under

Depending on who was putting the wire out and where they were, a single barbed wire entanglement could be anywhere from five to 50 metres wide from front to back, about a metre or two tall, and the Germans in particular liked to sink their entanglements into little hahas to protect them from artillery and so attackers couldn't see where the wire was until they nearly fell into it. Sometimes you also string wire flat at ground level to entice people to cross apparently-open ground and then get their legs stuck when they blunder into it.

...and that's how trenches become a long-term living space for five million men.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 27, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

ilmucche posted:

Big. Mountains of the stuff. Sometimes dozens of feet thick and 10 feet high. That's why you had to send out parties before an attack to try to clear lanes (or have your artillery try to plow it away). And each side usually had several belts like that when the lines weren't close. Hanging guys up on it was part of the goal, but it was mainly to channel attackers into pre-sited fields of fire and to generally impede movement of large bodies of troops. It's nothing like what ranchers used in the last 1800s, beyond being the same basic hardware.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

ilmucche posted:

If you GIS it there's a shitload of really bizarre photographs of stuff that looks like a plate of spaghetti only there's a mark v sticking out the top and really weirdass oldtimey german razor wire. It's a trip.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Concertina wire is absolutely horrible to work with and of all of the awful jobs in World War I concertina wire guy might've been at the bottom of the barrel

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bewbies posted:

Concertina wire is absolutely horrible to work with and of all of the awful jobs in World War I concertina wire guy might've been at the bottom of the barrel
burial detail, several months fighting, midsummer

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 26th July 1918 posted:

Working parties and baths as usual.
Preparations were made for our move to the Brigade Support Line where we relieved 4th Battn. Middlesex Regt. Coys paraded on their Alarm posts and moved off at 8.30 p.m. The two Coys in CHATEAU DE LA HAIE SWITCH took their places as the Battn passed, in rear. Owing to the bad weather and the WILLOW PATCH TRACK being very muddy, the Battalion marched up via FONQUEVILLERS and LA BRAYELLE FM.RD. Unfortunately, a heavy rain storm commenced shortly before starting and lasted for about an hour - in consequence every one was very wet on arrival. Relief was complate at 11.45 a.m.

13th KRRC War Diary, 27th July 1918 posted:

The bad weather continues and it is a problem to know how to get the men dry, as the Trenches are full of water and mud. Rations arrived at 11 p.m. Each man was given a fire position which he is to occupy in case of alarm.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I guess they're a bit less enthusiastic about the rain than us, huh

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Did an hour of pike drill today. Turns out that poo poo is hard! Can't I just be a cavalryman instead? :saddowns:

Hegel's a badass.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bewbies posted:

also the guys on the other side were probably more pissed at you than nearly anyone else

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

Did an hour of pike drill today. Turns out that poo poo is hard! Can't I just be a cavalryman instead? :saddowns:

Hegel's a badass.
don't forget to keep eating all day or you'll rapidly get weak as poo poo in the middle of things

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What do your guys eat, anyway? Just a poo poo ton of bread and liquid calories? (They don't eat, do they. :( )

I wish I had the time to get into pike stuff, honestly. It's so ridiculously unwieldy that it makes me want kick its rear end and make it dance to my tune.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
For HEY GUNS's amusement.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

What do your guys eat, anyway? Just a poo poo ton of bread and liquid calories? (They don't eat, do they. :( )

I wish I had the time to get into pike stuff, honestly. It's so ridiculously unwieldy that it makes me want kick its rear end and make it dance to my tune.
bunch of meat and a bunch of bread per day. The minimum that military theorists say is necessary is 1.5 pounds of bread per soldier per day

Don't think of it as unwieldy, then you'll start to act like it's unwieldy. Think of it as fencing slowed WAY down.

darthbob88 posted:

For HEY GUNS's amusement.

it's true

edit: if i have the choice of what to eat at a reenactment, I prefer cookies with lots of fat in them like shortbread. Just hoover up the fat, sugar, and carbs all day. And drink lots of water, youll sweat it all out almost at once.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 28, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Bomb morality chat: I wrote a paper in a college philosophy class in 2004 equating the firebombing of Dresden to 9/11. I.e. Churchill and Ike were terrorists, but it's okay if WE do it (obviously it was meant as sarcasm, and full of Monty Python references). I got an A+ grade on it.

It basically boils down to "the winners decide what's a war crime." cf Donitz being convicted of war crimes related to unrestricted submarine warfare but getting no additional punishment for it because Nimitz was doing the same thing on the other side of the world, while all the other top Nazis were hanged or hunted down and executed by Mossad* for the Holocaust because we, while not exactly treating the Japanese-Americans in innternment camps well, at least didn't actively try to genocide them.

* I do not endorse the Mafia-style hits Mossad did on retired Nazis, but I can understand their side of the argument. Sort of an Inigo Montoya thing. "You killed my father" &c.

Cessna posted:

You know how in the military they tell you "never volunteer?"

That's why. Holy poo poo.

My father was once voluntold to participate in a "learn to love tear gas" exercise, and was sick for a month afterward, and a couple of his fellow soldiers died from complications after it. He's fairly sure it was something a bit fancier than tear gas, seeing as how the control other group that did it was fine the next day.

Dad's older brother was one of those Marines that sat in a trench near an A-bomb test and then marched toward the mushroom cloud, then he joined the Army and did some secret-squirrel poo poo in Laos and Cambodia in the '70s. Said uncle died before he was 60 from some especially bad form of cancer. Totally unrelated to his military service, of course.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These tests where they marched guys into fallout or stood under airbursts, did we actually learn anything we didn't know or at least strongly suspect?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
Shut the gently caress up holy crap *closes crypt door*

*Opens it* someone tell me about the fuggin swedes in the 15th century. What we're they up to? Were they still The Worst? (Yes)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Basket-hilt swords own. Tell me about basket-hilt swords.

What were the drawbacks besides being slightly restrictive and requiring more work to make?

Bonus : were there ever two handed basket-hilts? Yes I know that’s goofy as gently caress but that’s rarely stopped some random weirdo before.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

zoux posted:

These tests where they marched guys into fallout or stood under airbursts, did we actually learn anything we didn't know or at least strongly suspect?

Yes in the sense of 'how fast can we bring infantry into this place in West Germany we just nuked'. I'm not saying it was ethical, but it wasn't just 'lol what happens when we expose some E-nothings to fallout'.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

*Opens it* someone tell me about the fuggin swedes in the 15th century. What we're they up to? Were they still The Worst? (Yes)

...it's actually kinda interesting and sometimes you get info that hasn't been posted before.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Not sure what your problem is. Even though this topic has a pretty bad track record, it's been a calm and nuanced discussion so far.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zoux posted:

What biological agents did the US have in 1945?

The UK would probably dust off Operation Vegetarian

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
That US Navy report on the preparation for gassing Japan was incredible. I knew there were plans, but I had no idea they were so far advanced or even remotely on that scale.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

That US Navy report on the preparation for gassing Japan was incredible. I knew there were plans, but I had no idea they were so far advanced or even remotely on that scale.

Even the news columns within were illuminating, if unsurprising in parts. I've had a sneaking suspicion for a while that the geography of the country and the winds they'd have on the coast would have made poo poo even worse but the gas dudes were exacting, talking about street widths and poo poo. If I were a talented or disciplined writer (neither), I almost think you could do some WW2 epic novel based on this thing that never came to fruition.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
There's another article/paper in a newsletter for one of the DOD's biochem warfare agencies from like 2002-2006 that I can't find again (infuriatingly, I suspect there's been yet another thing where a agency got folded into another one or something and nobody updated the old journal listings to work with the new webpage) that basically outlined how the Chemical Warfare Corps was busily rounding up as much of the Nazi chemical weapon stockpiles as they could get their hands on in preparation for Downfall, and had found that the German chemical bombs could be used with minor modifications while 105mm artillery shells would need to be either trimmed down on a lathe or fired from worn-out gun tubes because they were slightly wider than US shells (America's inability to convert things from metric strikes again).

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

The 15th century is one of those which weren't terribly interesting, milhist-wise. A couple of revolts happened, but Sweden was part of the Kalmar Union at the time under the leadership of the Danes so they didn't get up to much bullshit. 16th Century, you get a ton of bullshit happening when the Swedes get loose.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Basket-hilt swords own. Tell me about basket-hilt swords.

What were the drawbacks besides being slightly restrictive and requiring more work to make?

Bonus : were there ever two handed basket-hilts? Yes I know that’s goofy as gently caress but that’s rarely stopped some random weirdo before.
They're heavy and big, which means they're kind of bothersome for something that's usually only your sidearm. Iirc basket hilts were very popular in the 17th century when war was extra bad and close combat was common, but afterwards they mostly faded out and were replaced with simpler hilts. Many of the later swords even had hinged bits at the guard so they wouldn't rub through your coat quite so hard.

There weren't any two-handed swords with strictly basket hilts as far as I know, but complex, rapier-esque hilts were somewhat popular in the 16th century.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Pinball posted:

I went to Verdun on vacation in June; I've had a fascination with World War One ever since I was in middle school. I'm an amateur photographer and certainly no historian, but here's some of the photos with descriptions. I thought the Milhist thread might enjoy the pictures.

This is the entrance to the 'Trench of the Bayonets.' There was a myth that several French soldiers died at their posts with bayonets still fixed, so they built this big memorial. They actually got buried by an artillery barrage and then were reburied by Germans. The story is completely false, but I imagine it would cost far too much and be too divisive to do much about the memorial at this point.

The monument itself.

The grave of one of the unknown soldiers within the trench.

Fort Vaux was the smallest of the French forts. Its guns had been knocked out, its water supply cut, its galleries full of wounded soldiers who had tried to escape the numbing bombardment. It was commanded by Major Sylvain Raynal, an old soldier who walked with a cane. He and his men, half mad with thirst, defended the fort for seven days against attack, fighting hand to hand in its pitch-black galleries against flamethrowers and machine guns, tearing down its walls from within to build emplacements. Even Vaux's last pigeon, Valiant, gassed and wounded, proved itself; it carried a message to Fort Souville, next in the chain of fortresses, and received a citation. Major Raynal, at the seventh day, judged that his men had done their duty. French honor had been saved, and the suffering was enough. They laid down arms and surrendered the fort, and the Germans lined up to shake Raynal's hand. He spent the rest of the war in a German prison camp.

The crown jewel of the French fortress chain, Fort Douaumont had had its guns stripped in 1915 and its regiment downsized by order of General Joffre, who saw fortresses as outmoded. The French would pay for this dearly - Douaumont was captured by less than thirty Germans, who snuck in and captured the skeleton crew of the fort without firing a shot. Their pride wounded, the French counter-attacked again and again, bombarding their own fort and spending up to 100,000 lives to take back Douaumont.

The walls of Fort Douaumont.

Inside Fort Douaumont, stored artillery exploded while in German possession, killing many soldiers and burying them beneath a cave-in. This is their memorial.

Barbed wire against the sky.

The heights of the Meuse did not only host forts, artillery, and soldiers. There were villages, too. Nine of them, which the battle killed - in official registers they are recorded as having 'died for France,' as a soldier might. Among them was Fleury. Having exchanged hands sixteen times over the course of the battle, it was decided not to rebuild it. Yet Fleury still exists. Its roads have been relaid. The vacant shellholes where once houses and buildings stood have been carefully marked with those who lived there once: grocer, streetmender, priest, school. And to one side, as in all French villages, their war memorial: their sons and husbands and brothers who went away and did not return.

Verdun now is a vast forest, dotted with innumerable memorials, rotting concrete shelters and bunkers, the wooden frames of rifles, and remnant trenches.

There is an ossuary. It is shaped like an artillery shell, and at the top of its tower there is a bell named The Voice of the Dead. Beneath its floor, through its windows, there are 130,000 unknown soldiers' bones: Germans, Algerians, Senegalese, French, Vietnamese.

The largest French graveyard from the Great War. The Ossuary stands just behind.

Where Fleury's railway station once stood, there is a museum. It is a terrible and awe-inspiring place in the ordinariness of its contents. It holds uniforms of Prussians, Zouaves, chasseurs. ID tags snapped in half. The skin of a gassed man. The trunk of a dead man, carefully wrapped and delivered back to his widow.

The panorama that depicts what the battlefield looked like; it's a replacement for one the museum used to have which was designed by veterans of the battle. They swapped it out when they redesigned the museum.

Tucked in a back part of the museum, you may find this chest. It is terribly small and terribly sad. The placard reads, Louis Pergaud, author of 'The War of the Buttons,' was a young writer, aged just 32 at the start of war. Like millions of Frenchmen, he left his profession and his home to fight in the trenches in Meuse, to the south of Verdun. With his men, he alternated between periods on the front line and short periods of rest in the rear, often under shellfire. Life was hard but regular parcels from his wife, Delphine, made it more bearable. He placed the contents of his parcels with his few personal effects in his army trunk. On 8 April 1915, Louis Pergaud did not make it back to the trenches. His army trunk was closed and returned to his wife. In 2008, it was donated to the Memorial Museum. These are the last reminders of a man who disappeared in the fighting in Meuse. Louis Pergaud's body was never found.

German gas shell.

The entrance to Fort Souville, tucked far into the woods, where I had as close to a paranormal experience as I've ever had.

Someone's family member died in the fighting at Fort Souville, and their family still remembers the loss.

The whole experience was incredible, truly awe-inspiring. I highly recommend it if you're interested in World War One; the museum by Fleury is a real highlight. They had a lot of interesting sections covering things I'd never heard of, like the use of balloons in recon.

Thanks for posting this. Ian from forgotten weapons on YouTube has also gone through these sites recently. I found his videos quite good in covering what happened here.

I lived in France for a year in the Ardennes and managed to visit a couple of places whilst I'm there.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
A bit late to Japan surrender chat but the narrative that makes the most sense to me is that the Soviets were mostly playing for time, to get their armies from the west to the east to occupy as much of Manchuria as possible. Japan was losing fast and the Soviets needed Japan to keep fighting, so they promised and pretended to be mediators for a negotiated surrender. They went so far as to warn Japan of an impending attack on Formosa. When the first atomic bomb was dropped, the soviets concerned that Japan was about to surrender, initiated the invasion. This having the combined effects of, new secret weapon being used, promise of a negotiated peace gone and an invasion of Manchuria that they cannot hope to stop basically all happening at once. The reason for dropping the second bomb so soon after the first I think was most likely down to give the impression that the USA had many bombs and could continue to drop them, this message was primarily meant for the Soviets. That so much of the Japanese surrender depended on the Soviets, the Americans might have been surprised that the atomic bombs initiated a Japan surrender?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Siivola posted:

They're heavy and big, which means they're kind of bothersome for something that's usually only your sidearm. Iirc basket hilts were very popular in the 17th century when war was extra bad and close combat was common, but afterwards they mostly faded out and were replaced with simpler hilts. Many of the later swords even had hinged bits at the guard so they wouldn't rub through your coat quite so hard.

There weren't any two-handed swords with strictly basket hilts as far as I know, but complex, rapier-esque hilts were somewhat popular in the 16th century.

Just to elaborate, They developed in response to shields being used less and less, since before you had a shield or buckler that kept your weapon hand safe unless you were actually attacking, and even then you'd try and place the shield at an angle that prevents the other person from hitting your weapon hand.

You see them become less prevalent as the odds of actually being in a swordfight become less and less. The vast majority of the time a guy with sword fought someone else in close combat, that guy had a musket and bayonet. And with cavalry, most of the time it's not a protracted static fight but something that is constantly moving so you aren't that worried about the other guy aiming at your hands.

However towards the end of the 1800s you do see full bowl guards pop up again for cavalry and there are various types of sword with guards more akin to basket hilts throughout the period since some guys wanted that.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

This is tangibly related to the threat. I'll be visiting George Washington's Mount Vernon estate tomorrow. Anyone in this thread been, and anything I should keep an eye out for?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

C.M. Kruger posted:

105mm artillery shells would need to be either trimmed down on a lathe
Jesus loving nope to doing that job :yikes:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Pinball posted:

Tucked in a back part of the museum, you may find this chest. It is terribly small and terribly sad. The placard reads, Louis Pergaud, author of 'The War of the Buttons,' was a young writer, aged just 32 at the start of war. Like millions of Frenchmen, he left his profession and his home to fight in the trenches in Meuse, to the south of Verdun. With his men, he alternated between periods on the front line and short periods of rest in the rear, often under shellfire. Life was hard but regular parcels from his wife, Delphine, made it more bearable. He placed the contents of his parcels with his few personal effects in his army trunk. On 8 April 1915, Louis Pergaud did not make it back to the trenches. His army trunk was closed and returned to his wife. In 2008, it was donated to the Memorial Museum. These are the last reminders of a man who disappeared in the fighting in Meuse. Louis Pergaud's body was never found.

Wikipedia has a slightly different take on his death (using the book The Lost Voices of WW1 as its source):

quote:

On 7 April 1915, Pergaud's regiment attacked German lines near Fresnes-en-Woëvre, during which Pergaud was shot and wounded. He fell into barbed wire, where he became trapped. Some hours later, German soldiers rescued him and other wounded, taking the French soldiers to a temporary field hospital behind their lines. On the morning of 8 April, Pergaud and others were killed in a French artillery barrage that destroyed the hospital.

If that's the case, I can see why a French museum might skip over that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This is tangibly related to the threat. I'll be visiting George Washington's Mount Vernon estate tomorrow. Anyone in this thread been, and anything I should keep an eye out for?

Be prepared to have only a brief tour of the house.

Look for the slave cemeteries along the ridge trails to the south.

The mill and distillery are on a separate parcel but are worth driving over for a tour.

River Bend Bistro in Fort Hunt is perfect for lunch or dinner.

When you look across the Potomac from Mount Vernon keep in mind that the Ladies Board were pioneers in using GIS & LIDAR to figure out exactly which trees they had to buy in Maryland to preserve the viewshed you are enjoying.

For a different take on Washington follow-up or pre-game Mount Vernon with the Masonic memorial to Washington.

If you have any extra time in DC, my top recommendation is the Belmont-Paul House behind the Capital.