Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

My current strategy of germ management is keeping all the polluted dirt from my outhouses in a storage container in my main water supply so it doesn't release polluted oxygen.

Haven't had any problems yet!

It's trivial to deal with that polluted oxygen though. All you need is a deodorizer next to it. Your poop water is generating polluted oxygen anyway, so just put the polluted dirt container in the same room (i call it my sewer room) and you're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I call the gross area of my colony the scum zone

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BattleMaster posted:

I call the gross area of my colony the scum zone

If CO2 still leaned towards the bottom-right, I would be calling it Australia.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
deodorizers and po2 can provide a little livable air in some cases. when one base ran out of air, i only noticed because all the dupes when to the outpost room to breathe

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, I totally forgot water sieves output water at 40 C. I found a slush geyser and figured, hey, unlimited water! Hooked it up to a sieve and forgot about it to go build a second base a few screens away. 30 cycles later I got a food shortage alert, and found out my entire base is overheated and my plants are dying.

Oh well. Over a thousand hours played, still make rookie mistakes. :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Patch for the patch https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/94044-game-update-279674/

Of note:

quote:

Duplicants now get disease from the water in a Water Cooler/Espresso Machine

How do you put water in the water cooler?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanks for this, it's easy to read and I followed it pretty much exactly. Anything beyond that? Like, I get that I should be researching new stuff, and digging towards resources, and bringing in new dupes, and building a base, but I have no idea what sort of stuff I should prioritize, or what odd pitfalls I should look out for. I gather that temperature in this game will be a big worry, so how do I best protect against that? What about filtering the various gases? What about base design? What sorts of common blunders should I be careful to avoid that newbies fall for all the time? Those sorts of things.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

explain the difference between manual and mechanized airlocks now. are they the same speed unpowered?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

temple posted:

explain the difference between manual and mechanized airlocks now. are they the same speed unpowered?

I was under the impression they always were and that the main consideration is that manuals are a bit less expensive and in a different research topic.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

I was under the impression they always were and that the main consideration is that manuals are a bit less expensive and in a different research topic.

previously mechanized were always fast, regardless of power.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

temple posted:

previously mechanized were always fast, regardless of power.

I've only been playing this game for like a month but that didn't seem to be the case in that time.

edit: I meant "always" in the previous post as being "since before the last update" because the airlocks didn't seem to change in the latest update

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 28, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

neogeo0823 posted:

Anything beyond that? Like, I get that I should be researching new stuff, and digging towards resources, and bringing in new dupes, and building a base, but I have no idea what sort of stuff I should prioritize, or what odd pitfalls I should look out for.

I don't mean to be lovely, but your basically asking for a walkthrough of the game and it kind of follows the DF mantra of losing is Fun. Try to make some of those explorations, find out how they fail, try to fix it, fail again, retry, etc. Knowing how to "win" and trying it doesn't lead to as much of a fun game loop as discovering it on your own. The guide is really nice though, and no one really likes to fail over and over to trying to get started and hey into the more interesting system dynamics.

I say get yourself started with the guide and save scum if you don't want to stray from scratch or roll new maps.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The best tip I have that doesn't spoil anything is that almost any given resource doesn't last forever; if there's ever a point where you're not digging for more resources or building towards exploiting more types of resources then you're just slowly dying. If you're not finding more of whatever you're using for energy, oxygen, or food then you need to figure out how you can replace it before it runs out.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Did massage tables used to be under Furniture or am I imagining that?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

The best tip I have that doesn't spoil anything is that almost any given resource doesn't last forever; if there's ever a point where you're not digging for more resources or building towards exploiting more types of resources then you're just slowly dying. If you're not finding more of whatever you're using for energy, oxygen, or food then you need to figure out how you can replace it before it runs out.

This isn’t actually true. Most critical resources in the game are renewable. Water comes out of geysers. Crude oil comes out of wells. Metal comes out of volcanoes and meteorites. That covers most critical resources.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

enraged_camel posted:

This isn’t actually true. Most critical resources in the game are renewable. Water comes out of geysers. Crude oil comes out of wells. Metal comes out of volcanoes and meteorites. That covers most critical resources.

Those aren't things you're likely to find unless you keep digging before the stuff you do have runs out though, which is what I'm saying. If you don't have a source of something you 100% will run out of it given time. You can also get a bunch of resources by ranching but if you aren't digging or setting up/maintaining a ranch you'll run out of it too.

It sounds really obvious but it's possible to get too comfortable and then later you realize you're out of fertilizer or algae or something and then oops, you don't have time to replace it before your dupes start to die. Food especially has a long lead time on setting it up to being able to actually eat it, so you have to get on it RIGHT NOW if you identify that you're running out of what you need to keep your current food source going.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 28, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

BattleMaster posted:

I've only been playing this game for like a month but that didn't seem to be the case in that time.

edit: I meant "always" in the previous post as being "since before the last update" because the airlocks didn't seem to change in the latest update

It was changed relatively recently, around the SPAAAACE update I think. But yeah, it used to be there was no real reason to build normal airlocks if it was going to be trafficked at all since the powered once reacted super fast even without power.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Powered are still faster than mechanized ones, even when unpowered, but they're also more expensive now I think.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Twice the ore for the powered ones.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I very rarely built non-powered airlocks. I think I only ever used them to seal off places that had been stripmined and cleared so they wouldn't fill up with oxygen.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Tips: Set foods to not be able to be eaten. Only eat the cooked versions. Also disallow eating some foods for emergencies.

Set a sink at your cooking/eating area entrance as it is the only place it really matters.

That's about it.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 28, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Did massage tables used to be under Furniture or am I imagining that?
You are not, they were moved this patch.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ILL Machina posted:

I don't mean to be lovely, but your basically asking for a walkthrough of the game and it kind of follows the DF mantra of losing is Fun. Try to make some of those explorations, find out how they fail, try to fix it, fail again, retry, etc. Knowing how to "win" and trying it doesn't lead to as much of a fun game loop as discovering it on your own. The guide is really nice though, and no one really likes to fail over and over to trying to get started and hey into the more interesting system dynamics.

I say get yourself started with the guide and save scum if you don't want to stray from scratch or roll new maps.

It's not that I'm asking for a walkthrough, but more of just any weird tips and tricks and the like. From what I've seen in this thread in the last few pages, and what I've noticed in the game, it seems like there's a lot of opaque our obtuse things that you should know, but are easy to miss. Like the water airlock, or that one part about slime lung basically being able to disinfect a pool of contaminated water.

Sillybones posted:

Tips: Set foods to not be able to be eaten. Only eat the cooked versions. Also disallow eating some foods for emergencies.

Set a sink at your cooking/eating area entrance as it is the only place it really matters.

That's about it.

This, for example, is exactly what I'm asking about. How do i set a food to not be eaten? And the sink tip makes sense as well. I had set mine near the bathrooms, but yeah, i suppose they're only putting their hands in their mouths when they eat.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The problem is that the more I add to that, the more it becomes 'this is the way Lorini plays' vs 'this is the way the game could be played'. I did just add some stuff about heat, I do think that's a reasonable thing to know before you get started.

I play the game casually. Until this recent update I didn't play with stress and I still don't play with germs. Nearly any additional information to that would involve more knowledge about stress/germs than I have. On the other hand, I'm happy to open the document up to public editing if you folks think that should happen.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

It's not that I'm asking for a walkthrough, but more of just any weird tips and tricks and the like. From what I've seen in this thread in the last few pages, and what I've noticed in the game, it seems like there's a lot of opaque our obtuse things that you should know, but are easy to miss. Like the water airlock, or that one part about slime lung basically being able to disinfect a pool of contaminated water.

This, for example, is exactly what I'm asking about. How do i set a food to not be eaten? And the sink tip makes sense as well. I had set mine near the bathrooms, but yeah, i suppose they're only putting their hands in their mouths when they eat.

Click on stuff. Frankly if you click around how to set a food not to be eaten is fairly obvious :).

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Lorini posted:

Click on stuff. Frankly if you click around how to set a food not to be eaten is fairly obvious :).

To reiterate this, literally click on stuff. Those food headers? They can be clicked to toggle a type for every dupe. You don't have to click on every single one.

Also, the job priority headers have mouseover tooltips that explain what each job type does.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

neogeo0823 posted:

This, for example, is exactly what I'm asking about. How do i set a food to not be eaten?
To be specific, click the “consumables” button at the top. As mentioned, those buttons do a lot and some of it may not be obvious. Few examples:

Clicking the Report button, then clicking Stress Change will give you the stress change numbers for each individual dupe, and hovering over a dupe's name will break down the change components.

In the Priorities tab, notice the (gear icon) Options button in the upper right. Click and hover to get an explanation of Enable Proximity.

If you don’t want to micromanage priorities, notice the Auto-Prioritize button in the upper right of the Jobs screen. It seems to work fairly well.

Also on the Jobs screen, if you hover over the dupe's head icon it’ll show you their interests, skills, and expectations.

Edit: a different tip, locking a door takes a frustrating amount of time. Instead of locking it, often you can achieve what you want by just refusing access to the “out” direction. Like if a door is on the right edge of your colony, click the right arrow near the top. The arrow goes away and dupes can no longer pass the door going left to right, but they can still go right to left if anyone is still out in the “wild”.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 28, 2018

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So what are good ways to raise morale? I'm kinda stunted as a colony as I can't progress anyone past second tier jobs without people cracking. Only thing I can think of is setting up all the infrastructure for stuffed berries or something, but beyond that I don't see any good ways to raise morale that aren't really long-term projects. Part of what sucks is the "remote" dupes that are running out to do mining and building or something are just about impossible to get high decor compared to someone like a researcher or a cook that stays in one spot almost all day long. I've made a plumbed bathroom, decent bedroom, a mess hall and I'm feeding everyone a mix of fried mush and fried mushrooms so that gets me up to around 8-9ish average morale but getting higher than that for the next tier job doesn't seem to be anything obvious or easy. The progression so far on this colony was "OH GOD MORALE SUCKS - wait we built some buildings yeah it's OK now" then I upgraded food a little bit where it was easy and now I'm just kinda stumped.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

So what are good ways to raise morale? I'm kinda stunted as a colony as I can't progress anyone past second tier jobs without people cracking. Only thing I can think of is setting up all the infrastructure for stuffed berries or something, but beyond that I don't see any good ways to raise morale that aren't really long-term projects. Part of what sucks is the "remote" dupes that are running out to do mining and building or something are just about impossible to get high decor compared to someone like a researcher or a cook that stays in one spot almost all day long. I've made a plumbed bathroom, decent bedroom, a mess hall and I'm feeding everyone a mix of fried mush and fried mushrooms so that gets me up to around 8-9ish average morale but getting higher than that for the next tier job doesn't seem to be anything obvious or easy. The progression so far on this colony was "OH GOD MORALE SUCKS - wait we built some buildings yeah it's OK now" then I upgraded food a little bit where it was easy and now I'm just kinda stumped.

Build rooms. Great Hall by itself gives +6 morale.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

Build rooms. Great Hall by itself gives +6 morale.

Oh wow, didn't even see that one was added to the list. That's a huge bonus and pretty easy to build. I was all super thrilled to see the +3 on a mess hall and just completely missed that +6.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What counts as a recreational building for a great hall? It’s not a filled flower pot, water cooler, or massage table.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What counts as a recreational building for a great hall? It’s not a filled flower pot, water cooler, or massage table.

Water cooler counts.

Mess table+Decoration+Water cooler+32 tiles is the minimum requirements

Decor item needs to be 20+ decor

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
poo poo water and rock clutter optional.

But probably a given.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oops yeah, the water cooler works. I didn’t have a good painting at the time, and for some reason I thought the rquirement was +20 decor total.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Fun fact: Nikolais always have the “destructive” trait.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I initially read it as "20+ decor items" and just spammed a bunch of portraits and plant pots. :downs:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

BattleMaster posted:

edit: while we're at it let's have better power control stuff. I want logic outputs on generators (in addition to the existing inputs) that go true when the generator is operating so you can daisy chain them together in order of how you want your fuel spent, and I would like a better way of monitoring the current state of the power grid than just smart batteries, like a sensor that can activate when the load on the grid is above or below a certain level so generators can come online during times of higher use like when a refinery is working or your dumbshits are playing video games. you could rig things up to maximize fuel efficiency while minimizing reliance on batteries (and thus not losing energy to battery leakage)

I would spend hours just designing and optimizing power grids with options like that

edit: Sorry, I'm dumb. You literally said that battery leakage was something you wanted to avoid. I found a way you can cheese something like this. Set one generator to keep the batteries at 90%, and another at 85%, and 80% and so on.

Edit: Is there a way to tell your dudes which side of something to do a job from? Like if I don't want you collecting sand from the bottom of the sewer, so I tell you to lock the sewer, I didn't mean for you to lock yourself inside the sewer, Bubbles.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 28, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

BattleMaster posted:

I would spend hours just designing and optimizing power grids with options like that
That’s about two steps away from PID controllers and PLCs. Deep rabbit hole.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
what the hell is this new morale system and why won't my tier 2 miners eat anything until they're starving? i've even got gristle berries, the little shits

e: i found it, in the consumables menu. well, this could have been more transparent

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

DreadLlama posted:

Edit: Is there a way to tell your dudes which side of something to do a job from? Like if I don't want you collecting sand from the bottom of the sewer, so I tell you to lock the sewer, I didn't mean for you to lock yourself inside the sewer, Bubbles.

You can, instead of locking the door, set the default direction to be one way out of the room. And then lock the door, I guess.