Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Wark Say posted:

Whoever says that Meshuggah is not workout music has never used "Combustion" for warm-up.

"Combustion" is really Meshuggah in a nutshell, perfectly straddling the line between thrash rage and "wait, what?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

CaptainViolence posted:

listened to The Violent Sleep of Reason. it's definitely not my normal everyday jam, but i dig it. very textural. i think it's gonna be good "music to sit down with and really pay attention to when i want to think about music " along with, like, miles davis and john cage. thanks, thread!

Cool fact about that album (that I've brought up a few times already, sorry about that):
It's recorded "live".

Along with pioneering the whole polyrhythmic insanely downtuned technical metal that inspired the "Djent" genre, they also pioneered the recording and songwriting techniques, like "programming the drums first, learn to play the song after the album is out".

All the djent bands do programmed drums and axe fx/software amp/kemper guitars, but the unique thing bout Meshuggah is that they can actually recreate that live. On Violent Sleep Of Reason Meshuggah recorded the whole shebang playing simultaneously with real drums, real mics, real motherfucking tube amps and real skill.

Now listen to that album again with that in mind.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I really like the solo in Messhugah’s New Millennium Cyanide Christ. Best use of sad midi jazz trumpet guitar tone I’ve heard. I’ve seen them once live a few years ago and would definitely go again.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

kjetting posted:

Cool fact about that album (that I've brought up a few times already, sorry about that):
It's recorded "live".

Along with pioneering the whole polyrhythmic insanely downtuned technical metal that inspired the "Djent" genre, they also pioneered the recording and songwriting techniques, like "programming the drums first, learn to play the song after the album is out".

All the djent bands do programmed drums and axe fx/software amp/kemper guitars, but the unique thing bout Meshuggah is that they can actually recreate that live. On Violent Sleep Of Reason Meshuggah recorded the whole shebang playing simultaneously with real drums, real mics, real motherfucking tube amps and real skill.

That’s one of my favorite things about the album. I hope they stick with that approach moving forward. It sounds so good.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

The stupid music poo poo is coming from inside the thread!

I lolled 'sad midi trumpet' though, great description of a guitar tone

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CaptainViolence posted:

i think it's gonna be good "music to sit down with and really pay attention to when i want to think about music " along with, like, miles davis and john cage. thanks, thread!

:jerkbag:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I need to get a vinyl setup together so I can start listening to albums in that way again tbh. Record players work best as a ritual.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't Tomas Haake part of the development team for what's nowadays called EZdrummer and Superior Drummer?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

kjetting posted:

They also pioneered the recording and songwriting techniques, like "programming the drums first, learn to play the song after the album is out".

Lol yea this is great, luv 2 sit at my computer alone instead of collaborating with cool musicians. Thanks meshuggah!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

yeah boooo who needs more options for making music and a leveling of the requirements to create it

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i can't believe meshuggah pioneered the practice of everyone playing a song at the same time when recording

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fyi meshuggah invented the polyrhythm

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
This thing looks like somebody traced over an offset Tele with their monitor set to the wrong aspect ratio.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

This thing looks like somebody traced over an offset Tele with their monitor set to the wrong aspect ratio.

DAT AZZZZZZ :gizz:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, i sure am an idiot for enjoying something differently than the exact way you do, huh??? :jerkbag:

Anime Reference posted:

it reminds me of one of those sidewalk murals that only has the correct perspective when you stand in one specific spot

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It reminds me of a guitar I actually like a lot, the Motor Ave LeMans

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The LeMans has more or less normal proportions, though. The Cybercaster looks like it was run over by a cartoon steamroller.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

gently caress Your Website posted:

Usually people who say things like "that's not really music" are people who wasted their time and money at Musicians Institute and have never made anything anyone in the world would ever want to hear, but they remember their scales so good on them for that I guess. The 80s were full of generic axe masturbators who sneered at hip-hop, dance music, and electronic but would have lined up for the chance to open for Racer X in front of no more than 20 male virgins. Now they're all bluesdads, if they're lucky. And if they aren't, they post on internet forums.
Jesus Christ dude, don't doxx me!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

gently caress Your Website posted:

Usually people who say things like "that's not really music" are people who wasted their time and money at Musicians Institute and have never made anything anyone in the world would ever want to hear, but they remember their scales so good on them for that I guess. The 80s were full of generic axe masturbators who sneered at hip-hop, dance music, and electronic but would have lined up for the chance to open for Racer X in front of no more than 20 male virgins. Now they're all bluesdads, if they're lucky. And if they aren't, they post on internet forums.

it seems a bit offbrand for this thread in this subforum to be throwing shade on bluesdads and prog guys, but hell, who am i to judge

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CaptainViolence posted:

yeah, i sure am an idiot for enjoying something differently than the exact way you do, huh??? :jerkbag:

it reminds me of one of those sidewalk murals that only has the correct perspective when you stand in one specific spot

I’m just teasin’. Like what you like.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

A human heart posted:

it seems a bit offbrand for this thread in this subforum to be throwing shade on bluesdads and prog guys, but hell, who am i to judge

It's extremely on brand and not very serious if you ask me.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Anime Reference posted:

A Reverend Double Agent after a transporter malfunction.

Kilometers Davis posted:

It reminds me of a guitar I actually like a lot, the Motor Ave LeMans

That is very much my poo poo but if I ever seriously considered spending US$4k on a solidbody electric I'd punch myself.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

kjetting posted:

It's recorded "live".

I don't like Meshuggah (even though I love complicated rhythm fuckery), but I have nothing but respect for this.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Shameful Music poo poo confession: I'm still proud of the fact I learned "I want it that way" by the Backstreet Boys on guitar back when I was 14-15 a few days after first hearing it. It's been almost 20 years but I've felt a strange sense of accomplishment being able to busk/play that song on weddings when it came out.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

field balm posted:

The stupid music poo poo is coming from inside the thread!

I lolled 'sad midi trumpet' though, great description of a guitar tone

I was actually thinking of the solo in rational gaze. Whoops.
My favorite messhugah vid-
https://youtu.be/e44dS8fwSIQ

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

It's extremely on brand and not very serious if you ask me.

Stupid Music poo poo is the most serious of businesses

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh man I want that and I never even had a gameboy.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

This is not stupid, this is awesome.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The only stupid thing about it is that you're going to break it when you step on it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thermos H Christ posted:

The only stupid thing about it is that you're going to break it when you step on it.
Now I don't want to be mean to another fellow goon, but if it's using the original materials they used for the Game Boy, you clearly don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah have you ever picked up an OG game boy? That fucker is more solid than some of the metal chassis they use in real pedals

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
When people call the original Game Boy a brick they're not just referring to the shape.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Missed opportunity to include a bitcrusher!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pondex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoERl34Ld00

Lol, if you cut this into 10 second segments they would all be completely interchangeable.

There was this one review of the last avengers-movie where they called it Movie-Loaf. All the ingredients, just mashed together and baked into something resembling a movie.

This is that thing just for guitar-music.

Here watch this version it's more authentic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KZjVZLsU6s

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Shugojin posted:

Yeah have you ever picked up an OG game boy? That fucker is more solid than some of the metal chassis they use in real pedals

I mean I did when I had one way back in the day, not any time recently though. I'm sure even back then I would have assumed that a grown man stomping on it would damage it, perhaps I'm wrong.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Something in the perspective of this is really messing with my brain. I know how big a gameboy is, but I think the close-up shot plus the tiny amp in the background are conspiring to make it look enormous.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

https://twitter.com/steak_ham/status/1023432749619863553

lmao

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Not all heroes wear capes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ7MvSEZFeM

This is triple stupid music poo poo, first for the guitar, second because he doesn't actually start playing it until around 11 minutes into the video, and third because duder thinks he can get $2,499 for it.

I mean, I know he probably will because we guitarists are stupid creatures, but I can still hold out hope.