Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

who the gently caress is this boat bitch and what the gently caress is he talking about sacrifice for is when all he's probably ever sacrificed is a profit margin

sick lets follow a smooth brained traitor and destroy America's position as the hegemon in the international system so we can keep the MESSICANS out

smdh gently caress my homestate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
sacrificing my livelihood to trigger the libs

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

lightpole posted:

making GBS threads on him by oversimplifying the situation isn't going to do anything. He is approaching this from an idealistic standpoint and is prepared to sacrifice his livelihood in the hopes of a better future. The question is if this necessary, the best approach or if it will lead to the desired outcome (what is his desired outcome)?

I would say it's an admirable but misguided approach. The idealism is admirable and the approach misguided as he, also, is oversimplifying everything or may not be entirely aware/underestimating of the externalities or costs others must bear.

He's OK with Nazis murdering people in the streets and child concentration camps on the border. He can take his "economic anxiety" and shove it up his dick.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Don’t worry; since that guy is all about selfless sacrifice for the good of the country I’m sure he’ll forgo his wages so they don’t have to cut wages or pay off the blue collar workers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Vasudus posted:

And yeah, private student loans are insanely poo poo for defaults. Think about it, those are the loans that the department of education wouldn't back and you had to go to a bank for.

To add my anecdotal perspective: I attend a state school. I am above the age where the FAFSA stops caring about your parents income, and as a full time student I’m a pauper on paper. Because of this I am entitled to the full Pell grant every semester, about $1500 a year in earned income tax refund, and I qualify for ~$22k worth of federal student loans a year. Of course there are ways to get more but I qualify for pretty much the high end of federal student aid. All of that together would pay for full tuition, fees, , gas, car insurance, and phone bill.

I would still be on my own for housing, food, and already having a car.

Luckily I have the Gi bill or else I would be racking up $25k of 4% federal loans every year. That’s when you get people taking out private 12% loans to start paying their rent

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 28, 2018

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Going to school on the GI Bill has taught me that working your way through school is a myth, lol
Some half-remembered thing from a bygone time

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Going through my grad program at an extremely modest 12k/semester would largely require me to be making uh...somewhere around 100k/yr to afford it without any outside money.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I don't know if you still can but I was able to work my way through school in Florida, pretty sure they still have some of the cheapest tuition rates in the country.

I'm pretty psyched about using my GI Bill for an MBA that's like $70k, plus $2600 BAH for living in Seattle.

I can't imagine getting loans to pay for schooling that costs that much.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1022878781684367360

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I worked my way through school, but I got my degrees part time, at a legit online school, and I had a real job making 70k+ per year.

Also the most I ever paid for tuition in a year was ~6k, tax deductible. My diploma, which I did full time over four years and which got me the afford mentioned job, cost 20k including living expenses, which hey (thank god) my parents could afford, because 5k a year (most tax deductible) isn’t a ridiculous amount of money.

What I’m saying is fix your loving country already.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, my wife worked through grad school, but it helped that we had all of the following going:

I was working full time.
She was getting in-state tuition, and a lot of TX universities have really good rates.
She was working full-time in a job directly related to the Master's she was pursuing, so while they weren't helping pay, her boss was very accommodating with work schedules as long as she put in the hours and got the work done.
She was commuting an hour each way to school for two days a week of lab work while still doing tons of school work from home.
We are DINKs.
The only other debt we had at all was the mortgage, which I was paying.

So what I'm saying is that it's nigh-impossible for undergrads and stupid for dumbass old people to talk about as something any rear end in a top hat can do.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mustang posted:

I can't imagine getting loans to pay for schooling that costs that much.

Loans will cover the cost of tuition and fees (university-level fees, not like lab fees or such that are tied to individual classes) no matter what. It's the extra that'll get you. They offered me 17k/semester, which I took, and had 5k/semester left over. If I wasn't getting my military disability I would've had to go to a bank and get a private loan. Instead I had the luxury of living like someone about to get evicted, rather than someone that DID get evicted.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Companies that engage in wage theft are hardly interested in repaying anybody, and regulators that are supposed to enforce it, lol they mostly came from the companies that do the loving poo poo, so they're not gonna bust their golf buddies for this.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's almost like business knows that a work force coming out of the gate in debt is easier to manipulate

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

orange juche posted:

Companies that engage in wage theft are hardly interested in repaying anybody, and regulators that are supposed to enforce it, lol they mostly came from the companies that do the loving poo poo, so they're not gonna bust their golf buddies for this.

https://youtu.be/exnaY0l4XsM

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

oh my god gently caress off forever

Huh, a private, family owned company employing ~120 most likely skilled employees. I doubt they are going to balance their books by punishing their labor with wage cuts unless absolutely necessary. I guess we should just continue making baseless assumptions about him and his beliefs just because?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Dude gently caress off

Oh I need content here. This dumbfuck *job creator* equated the work that led to stopping the Holocaust to what Trump is doing now in terms of necessity. gently caress that guy

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Dude gently caress off

Oh I need content here. This dumbfuck *job creator* equated the work that led to stopping the Holocaust to what Trump is doing now in terms of necessity. gently caress that guy

He nationalised a bunch of the nation's industry and provided jobs to millions while providing educational benefits to a generation of people who were drafted?

Missed that one.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

lightpole posted:

making GBS threads on him by oversimplifying the situation isn't going to do anything. He is approaching this from an idealistic standpoint and is prepared to sacrifice his livelihood in the hopes of a better future. The question is if this necessary, the best approach or if it will lead to the desired outcome (what is his desired outcome)?

I would say it's an admirable but misguided approach. The idealism is admirable and the approach misguided as he, also, is oversimplifying everything or may not be entirely aware/underestimating of the externalities or costs others must bear.

he's a gigantic piece of poo poo and so are you i hope this helps

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oh my god gently caress off forever

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

lightpole posted:

Huh, a private, family owned company employing ~120 most likely skilled employees. I doubt they are going to balance their books by punishing their labor with wage cuts unless absolutely necessary. I guess we should just continue making baseless assumptions about him and his beliefs just because?

edit: wrong company lol

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
neat story about one of my #blessed small business job creator America First! clients

he sells a bunch of finely machined parts for pump assemblies that they owned the patents for

after a year long trial run he closed down his entire CNC shop and sent all that work to Taiwan. about 100 people lost their job lol

#MAGA

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It’s also extremely common in like every other country. It’s also common to live with parents as you’re expected to help care for them.

Also, pet peeve, but people need to treat homes a purchases and not investments and knock off NIMBY bullshit.

People won't even buy cars with that mindset, forget houses.

DownByTheWooter posted:

Going to school on the GI Bill has taught me that working your way through school is a myth, lol
Some half-remembered thing from a bygone time

It wasn't even a realistic option in the (late) 90s when I tried it.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 28, 2018

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Worked EMS and e.r tech through undergrad, I also had the g.i bill but I only served overseas for like... 11 months so I claimed 80% or whatever for post 9/11 g.i.

Undergrad nursing degree was 100% paid off

I worked full time nights as an e.r nurse and did PRN work for the county 911 service, had 8 months of post 9/11 but still ended up with 15k in student loans.

Overall I lived a cush AF college life, but I would have been smart to live in poverty and invest all that I was bringing in. Oh well, I'm an idiot

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vasudus posted:

Going through my grad program at an extremely modest 12k/semester would largely require me to be making uh...somewhere around 100k/yr to afford it without any outside money.

This is my current undergraduate program. Trying to convince my counselor to let me do grad school. In Italy.

Its actually 25k a semester and I take intersession classes.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 28, 2018

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1023065596450234368?s=19

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Alex really needs to lay off the chilli.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 28, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Político has a good article on espionage in the technology industry (and life more generally) in San Francisco. It talks about the normal IP theft you'd expect, but also discusses attempts to leverage spies for more traditional political/national security espionage by targeting tech firms.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/07/27/silicon-valley-spies-china-russia-219071

psydude fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 28, 2018

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

lol are you legit retarded

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I got to go to a good school on a athletic scholarship lol pheasants

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

reminder that lightpole is the BOTH SIDES fucker that wanted the nazis and antifa to just kill each other off

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
They aren’t going to balance their books like that, but some lovely practices can creat room for another position without raising your labor budget.

Some lovely practices that cut about an hour of paid time off a bi weekly pay period for every employee will leave enough to support another employee at that size company

It doesn’t have to be more labor either. There are financial incentives to do that such as getting a bonus based on how much you save your department. Shaving a few hours off can add up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

lightpole posted:

I guess we should just continue making baseless assumptions about him and his beliefs just because?

Why make assumptions; he's already stated outright that it's young people and "liberals" ruining our nation and mentioned how awesome veterans are while explicitly ignoring any veteran post-1972 or so. That's an easy way to tell he's old piece of poo poo crank.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
It's also the CFO and not the owner

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

reminder that lightpole is the BOTH SIDES fucker that wanted the nazis and antifa to just kill each other off

so SMOKE CRACK is not a bitch?!?!?!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Yo, without ICE, y'all wouldn't even have a country, let alone borders, which seems very odd to me as a human being capable of logical thought, but the stable genius president of the US of A said so, sooo :shrug:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1023246073060634626

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Holy gently caress he reads like he's retarded.

Like, couldn't they do a couple of takes to get it to sound like he hasn't had a mild stroke?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

not caring here posted:

Holy gently caress he reads like he's retarded.

Like, couldn't they do a couple of takes to get it to sound like he hasn't had a mild stroke?

They probably did, that was the best one. Unless he's on some "one-take Donald" thing which is entirely possible.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Remember when we all thought Bush and his “Bushisms” sounded dumb? gently caress I can’t believe we found someone who makes Bush sound like the Yale yuppie that he actually was.

Speaking of. I vaguely remember Bush’s grades being a talking point during...2000 I think? Like he failed a class or something and it was a big scandal?

What the gently caress grades did Trump get? I know no one cares because the man is a walking scandal and idiot machine. But Has he always been this loving stupid or is this a recent (post 1990) development?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Midjack posted:

They probably did, that was the best one. Unless he's on some "one-take Donald" thing which is entirely possible.

I spent the last few years living in rural Louisiana. The locals almost 100% adore him for "telling it like it is," and will support anything that northerners/liberals are against. It doesn't matter if he fucks up the speech delivery. The important thing is that he sounds tough on immigration.

On a highly related note, very, VERY few of them have ever left the town in which they were born.

It's super lovely because many of them aren't bad people by nature. On an individual basis, most of them aren't bad and I've been fairly successful in getting locals to realize that there's more to politics than "GOP good, dems bad." They've just grown up in a society that literally trains them to be neocons.

Viva Miriya posted:

so SMOKE CRACK is not a bitch?!?!?!

Smoke Crack is and always will be a bitch. It's far too late to rectify the situation.

Edit:

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Remember when we all thought Bush and his “Bushisms” sounded dumb? gently caress I can’t believe we found someone who makes Bush sound like the Yale yuppie that he actually was.

This afternoon, I visited a train line running between North and South Korea, which was opened fairly recently - 2002, I think - and I was amazed by how dignified and articulate George W. Bush's speech was. I'm honestly astonished that I can look back on his presidency and envy GWB's restraint and statesmanship. What a time to be alive.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 28, 2018

• Locked thread