Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Do you people take your expensive/powerful cars to race tracks? Do you speed on highways all the time?
No. Yes. Tennessee has a TON of fun twisty country roads with hairpin turns, banked corners, and elevation changes that can be enjoyed with a high performance car.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Even if you don't go on a track or do 120 on the freeway, accelerating from 0-60 in the blink of an eye and going around corners real fast is fun!
Yep, being able to accelerate away from a stoplight and put some distance between me and everyone else on the road is nice. So is being able to accelerate and merge and maneuver on the highway.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

SA Forums are big on costly hobbies. Cars, guns, voluntary animal ownership
Photography too. Holy poo poo cameras and lenses are expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

SA Forums are big on costly hobbies
a forum full of nerdy middle age dudes, it's like the prime consumer demographic for unnecessary hobby poo poo. If it isn't computer games and camera lenses, it's warhammer figurines.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I also like expensive whiskey and I'm given to understand that smoking weed can become very expensive and full of weird tech.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Unless you're slamming back Antique Collection stuff or Japanese whiskey, at least a good bottle of whiskey won't push $100 and (hopefully!!!) lasts a month or more.

Although if you order non-well whiskey at a bar or restaurant, you pay an insane markup. I tried to stop drinking beer on account of FatBod, and it sucked going from $4 beers to $13 glasses of hooch

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Drinking alone at home: GWM.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Coco13 posted:

Drinking alone at home: GWM.

Look at this rookie wasting electricity on lights.

Jameson is my go to bar drink if I'm not getting a cocktail. Tends to be <=10/glass. My old dive bar it was $8/double. You couldn't order it smaller.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Make your own hooch by fermenting random grains.

Bonus - you might product bootleg anti-freeze and save a trip to the mechanic.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Not a Children posted:

I staved off the societal pressure to buy a home for another year, and managed to talk my landlord into renewing my lease with the same under-market rent I've been paying for 2 years.

Always negotiate!

Year 3 with no rent increase in Denver in Lohi for me.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I wish I had money

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Too much spending or not enough income?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Hoodwinker posted:

Too much spending or not enough income?

NOT ENOUGH INCOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMME

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Well, get at 'er.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Just get a job that pays more?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Just get a job that pays more?

Ah, so that's what I've been doing wrong.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
It's probably trivial, but I have money in my budget for next month set aside to transfer to retirement accounts. Does it make sense to just do it early, and have a negative balance for this month get carried over in to next month and get zeroed out?

I just got paid today and like the first thing I do when I wake up on pay day is geek out over my budget, and it seems kind of silly for me to wait until the first of the next month to transfer money, but maybe there's some reasoning that I'm missing so I thought I would just ask all the people here who are way better at having money than I am.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

BAE OF PIGS posted:

It's probably trivial, but I have money in my budget for next month set aside to transfer to retirement accounts. Does it make sense to just do it early, and have a negative balance for this month get carried over in to next month and get zeroed out?

I just got paid today and like the first thing I do when I wake up on pay day is geek out over my budget, and it seems kind of silly for me to wait until the first of the next month to transfer money, but maybe there's some reasoning that I'm missing so I thought I would just ask all the people here who are way better at having money than I am.

The difference is probably trivial if we're talking about a handful of days but in general time in the market has long term expected value so investing sooner if you have the cash to do it is in principle a good idea.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

On the other hand, don’t spend early on your budget. Then it isn’t a budget.

This same thing goes towards spending on high-value items that you may need to save up for. If you have $200/mo in “shopping” and want to buy a $300 thing, you should wait until you’ve accrued a $300 balance (due to underspending) and only then purchase. Do not “borrow” from your future self.

It’s okay to adjust your budget and to allocate unusually-obtained money, but generally my thought is that your budget is probably in place for a reason, and deviating from it should be carefully considered beyond just “I want it NOW”.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
money that's already allocated to a purpose (eg IRA contribs) should be spent on that purpose as soon as you receive it IMO

earmarked contributions are different from accrual categories

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I wouldn't spend it before you have it, even if you can afford to float yourself the loan.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I always transfer over savings money as soon as I have the money to transfer. If I somehow need extra cash, that's what my e-fund is for.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I wouldn't spend it before you have it, even if you can afford to float yourself the loan.
I really don't know if I would consider this "spending" in the normal sense. In my mind, anything that remains an asset on my balance sheet can be shuffled whenever so long as I can pay off my liabilities on the correct dates.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Hoodwinker posted:

I always transfer over savings money as soon as I have the money to transfer. If I somehow need extra cash, that's what my e-fund is for.

I really don't know if I would consider this "spending" in the normal sense. In my mind, anything that remains an asset on my balance sheet can be shuffled whenever so long as I can pay off my liabilities on the correct dates.

The second point is a good one, but I always consider the source of my "float" to be the emergency fund (in my mind). Here, it turns out he's already paid, so that money is just allocated ahead.

My situation is a little different because I'm paid on the first of the month.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Here, it turns out he's already paid, so that money is just allocated ahead.

yes, this is why I advised he do it: he already has the money. I wouldn't advocate borrowing in advance against a future payment.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Applied for a mortgage pre-approval with Quicken today, and they tell me that I qualify for a loan 5.5x my base annual salary, with a monthly payment that is 62% of my net take home.

:wtc:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Applied for a mortgage pre-approval with Quicken today, and they tell me that I qualify for a loan 5.5x my base annual salary, with a monthly payment that is 62% of my net take home.

Congratulations, you qualify for being house-poor!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sirotan posted:

Lol when you have low debt payments and like to put money into retirement and also have large payroll deductions for insurance or what have you, it always makes for big comedy. Good on you for balking at it since jumping at that kind of debt is what shows on TLC are loving made of.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yeah I guess the common advice is housing expense should be max 30% of your gross pay, which imho max 30% of net seems more reasonable. (Confession: I have to google the difference in gross and net almost every time I need to reference it :downs:)

The Quicken loan rates still comes out to 43% of my gross monthly pay which I find ridiculous. Currently looking to buy something that would give me an all-in payment at or less than 16% of my gross/23% of net.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I still don’t get why anyone would underwrite something like that. Does Quicken just turn around and resell the loan? And if they do, why on earth would they buy it?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Our mortgage is about 6.5% of our take home net taxes and above the line retirement savings.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Our mortgage is about 6.5% of our take home net taxes and above the line retirement savings.
Yeah but also you're double-doctors :v:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Too small

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I send you a hearty oh go to hell from the bay area, where my rent is 46% of my take-home in spite of GP-level income. :colbert:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sundae posted:

I send you a hearty oh go to hell from the bay area, where my rent is 46% of my take-home in spite of GP-level income. :colbert:

He said he’s in Iowa, so he’s already there man

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Cacafuego posted:

He said he’s in Iowa, so he’s already there man

:drat:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Random-ish question. Did this forum once originate some kind of smiley that had "BASIL" flashing? I feel like I remember this being a thing, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

DrSunshine posted:

Random-ish question. Did this forum once originate some kind of smiley that had "BASIL" flashing? I feel like I remember this being a thing, but I can't find it for the life of me.

I don't recall the smiley in particular but that sounds like it would have come out of tuyop's megathread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427699

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Tuyop was the best thread because he spent a year insisting he had zero job risk because he was in the military and had guaranteed income for as long as he wanted it, then he got injured and had to leave.

Then he started selling weed or something but everyone called it basil

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

IllegallySober posted:

I don't recall the smiley in particular but that sounds like it would have come out of tuyop's megathread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427699

Oh I must've just seen his avatar, haha! Well then. Thanks for solving that particular mystery.

... you should have a :basil: smiley, though.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
I’m having a little anxiety. I was offered and accepted a promotion by the ceo at our nonprofit to be our executive manager. I’m the youngest and least tenured person here and really have no work experience with this type of position. I’m currently running our database and doing reports. She’s offered to mentor me and has been successful at many other agencies as ceo (she’s 55).

She wanted to see if I would accept first, before drastically reorganizing our leadership org chart. Which will basically reduce my current bosses responsibilities, totally change my previous bosses responsibilities, and move our current executive manager into a program director role.

Basically, I’m excited for the job but this promotion was totally out of blue. And just anxious about leap frogging people much older in our organization without actively trying to.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That sounds like an odd choice/offer. What's going on at that org? Is management fundamentally broken and this is her way of wiping the slate clean and starting over from scratch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

f1av0r posted:

She wanted to see if I would accept first, before drastically reorganizing our leadership org chart. Which will basically reduce my current bosses responsibilities, totally change my previous bosses responsibilities, and move our current executive manager into a program director role.

Taking risks is a great way to get ahead in life, but a chain of demotions with a seeming rookie leap frogging every one seems like it would sow a lot of ill will into the organization. I would have a long hard talk with her about how this is going to be communicated out, how she will help you deal with the fallout, and why the current person you are taking over for isn't being fired.

Finding work in the non-profit sector is not a cake walk, so carefully consider what would happen if you do not succeed in the role. I would make sure you have a clear set of guidelines that will demonstrate success from your ceo.

Look up your orgs tax documents to see if they spell out salary information. You should be making at least as much as the person you are replacing, or have a clear and contractual description of how you're going to get there.