Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Is anyone unable to login to the iTunes Store? Like I can log in fine from Settings, but the app just sits and loads indefinitely after I enter my password. If I enter the wrong password it fails immediately.

I was having some iTunes issues earlier. Did you try and reboot your ATV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I was having some iTunes issues earlier. Did you try and reboot your ATV?

Yeah, and I installed an available update, neither fixed it. Just trying a reset now.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Works fine for me.

An unrelated irksome thing very few people will probably care about: after more than a year the Music app still doesn’t update to show the current Beats One radio show.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ohhhh so double tapping the touchpad does fullscreen/widescreen 🤦🏽‍♀️

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The holding play/pause on the main screen to change audio outputs (using my beatsX wireless earbuds at night) was a great tip as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

ohhhh so double tapping the touchpad does fullscreen/widescreen 🤦🏽‍♀️

LOL. I just discovered that as well while watching a letter-boxed video. It’s not really a format shift as much as it is a zoom feature to remove the black bars so you lose the edges.

I admit I spent a bit of time doing ZOOM IN. NOW ZOOM OUT. ZOOM IN. ZOOM OUT. I had to rewind 5 minutes because I realized I had no idea what had happened during that time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is there any way to get siri on an iphone to control appletvs? Like if I want to hands free tell something to play.

It seems not, it just acts stupid and confused. It’ll airplay music to it but that’s about it. Instead of having to hit the mic button on the remote, basically.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Is there any way to get siri on an iphone to control appletvs? Like if I want to hands free tell something to play.

It seems not, it just acts stupid and confused. It’ll airplay music to it but that’s about it. Instead of having to hit the mic button on the remote, basically.

Yeah its not there yet. I’d really like to be able to use my HomePod in the kitchen to tell the Apple TV to turn on and play a specific channel on my directv now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah its not there yet. I’d really like to be able to use my HomePod in the kitchen to tell the Apple TV to turn on and play a specific channel on my directv now.

Dang. Hopefully Apple improves the voice stuff because amazon and google seem the better options in general, but I’m not sure if they can play video from that either. Frankly I don’t trust them enough for the always on mic.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It seems a given the next AppleTV revision will include HomePod-esque Siri support.

But there’s been no rumors on the hardware front so who knows when that’s coming.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Maybe the Siri shortcuts thing will help. I'm hoping harmony supports them or goes full hog HomeKit with the hub.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I setup an older pre-Siri remote AppleTV for someone and holy cow is the old Netflix app better than the new one. No bullshit, just a grid of movies that are smartly organized. I forgot how nice it was.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Violator posted:

I setup an older pre-Siri remote AppleTV for someone and holy cow is the old Netflix app better than the new one. No bullshit, just a grid of movies that are smartly organized. I forgot how nice it was.

I’ll never understand why they got rid of related items in Netflix.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

qirex posted:

They intentionally make it hard to navigate because they want it to seem like there's endless content

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

qirex posted:

I will never understand why the recently watched line moves every loving time. gently caress even My watch list moves too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I just want TV.app support from Netflix, and the ATV setup would be perfect. Come on Netflix, even Amazon supports the drat app.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I mean, I completely understand why it doesn't, but is this thing ever gonna get a Spotify app? It's basically the one thing missing that makes it annoying to use as an entertainment center hub.

EDIT: I just checked an apparently you can airplay from an iPhone currently playing Spotify so I guess that works well enough. Still would be nice to get desktop airplay or even a native app.

American McGay fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 27, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Get Apple Music you plebe.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:yeah:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Apple Music is terrible

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:cawg::holy::derp::holy::cawg:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Any reasons you dislike it? It’s what convinced me on music streaming and it completely changed how I listen to music. The selection is huge even for stuff I would never expect, quality is great, interface is great after some rough years. If you have multiple Apple products it’s a no brainer.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've been a Spotify user for many years before Apple Music was even an idea but I did try it out probably a year or two ago and, at least for the specific genre of music I most listen to, the "similar artist" recommendations were laughably bad. Probably like 70% of my Spotify usage is selecting an artist or a genre and then letting it autogenerate a playlist of that mood. I was also never a fan of Apple Music aesthetically / organizationally compared to Spotify, but I know it's gone through at least one overhaul since I last tried it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Spotify has much better suggestions and radio. I'd use it over AM but it's a second class citizen in this Apple world so I don't use it anymore.

But if I was heavily in the Sonos ecosystem I'd be all over it.

Also holy shot I hate the Spotify app. That spinning circle when I'm listening to cached music when the subway goes underground was infuriating.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's probably just because I've used Spotify for like eight years, but the Apple Music app makes me want to throw my phone in a fire.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Kimoa Kid posted:

It's probably just because I've used Spotify for like eight years, but the Apple Music app makes me want to throw my phone in a fire.

It definitely has its own problems.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That’s fair. The features and interface are exactly what I want and the suggestions and recommendations have gotten really good for me. It’s the only platform I’ve ever used that actually understands metal genres so that’s a pleasant surprise. I’m sure Spotify handles that fine now though too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Spotify is also a good "vendor neutral" option that works on Echo and Roku devices.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Apple Music is out of the equation if you put Echo through your home.

Though if you do, the desire to play music content through an Apple TV diminishes. Apple probably assumes most people’s audio is controlled by TV power anyway.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

FCKGW posted:

Spotify is also a good "vendor neutral" option that works on Echo and Roku devices.

The PS4 integration is nice too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah until you pull up a old-timey Spotify playlist to listen to while you play Fallout because your wife rightfully mentions the in-game music repeats way too often, and completely hose your Spotify recommendations forever.

Not that that bothered me or anything.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Matt Zerella posted:

This.

Spotify is cool and good.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah until you pull up a old-timey Spotify playlist to listen to while you play Fallout because your wife rightfully mentions the in-game music repeats way too often, and completely hose your Spotify recommendations forever.

Not that that bothered me or anything.

Hahaha for me it was playing the Hotline Miami soundtrack over Rocket League and then it's all neon underground all the time.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

American McGay posted:

EDIT: I just checked an apparently you can airplay from an iPhone currently playing Spotify so I guess that works well enough. Still would be nice to get desktop airplay or even a native app.
That’s still not perfect for me. It works better when I’m airplaying from my iPhone or iPad than the Mac, for some reason. Still though, I get the occasional hiccups and they are very irritating.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

FCKGW posted:

According to twitter, that's not necessarily the case any more

https://twitter.com/nevona/status/1022518669723815936

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

You're not missing anything. The Roku Spotify app was horrendous the last time I opened it up.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I need a dedicated Ted talk button.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish those buttons could be reprogrammed, but I’m guessing they’re being paid to not allow that.

Current set compare to that screen is Netflix / Sling / Hulu / Amazon, which is better at least. I pretty much only use my Roku for Plex, Xfinity, and YouTube mind.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Looks like my ATV 4k is dead. Light just blinks and my tv isn't receiving any input at all from it. Gonna schedule an appt with the apple store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

phosdex posted:

Looks like my ATV 4k is dead. Light just blinks and my tv isn't receiving any input at all from it. Gonna schedule an appt with the apple store.

:agreed: