Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Even though I probably would have preferred any other topic than WWII, at least we got a one-two punch of Hardcore History and Inward Empire at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i've never really read much about wwii or the pacific theatre more specifically, so i appreciated this episode

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

AriadneThread posted:

i've never really read much about wwii or the pacific theatre more specifically, so i appreciated this episode

Yeah im on the second half on it, and its a really good primer on figuring out whatever the hell Japan is thinking during this period, and why they're thinking it. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of this episode and am going to want some podcast reccs on japanese war politics.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

buglord posted:

Yeah im on the second half on it, and its a really good primer on figuring out whatever the hell Japan is thinking during this period, and why they're thinking it. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of this episode and am going to want some podcast reccs on japanese war politics.

The History of Japan podcast has a couple of series that are semi-relevant. There’s one on state Shinto, another on the militarisation of Japan.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It not my preferred topic either but I'm also liking it.

Two of the topics I've suggested to Dan are Perry's Black Ships and the opening of Japan, and the Russo-Japanese war. He very quickly goes over both, while weaving them into a coherent narrative along with other stuff. Pretty effective I think.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Throwing in a recommendation for The Age of Napoleon: No bells and whistles (or boxing analogies); just a well-researched and evenhanded podcast with a gripping narrative.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 17, 2018

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

inward empire posted a short reflection piece of how the show has done and where it's going and is looking for feedback: https://inwardempirepodcast.wordpress.com/2018/07/19/inward-empire-2-0/

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'm just happy to have more non-western stuff. As enjoyable as Ostfront and etc have been, most English-speaking history podcasts tend to focus on what the white man is up to in his little corner of the world. Good eppo; I hope he gets into Japanese society throughout the war and what came after.

Still killed me every time he said "Shogunite" tho.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I listened to the newest Hardcore History twice and now have audible's version of Shanghai 1937: Stalingrad on the Yhangzee, so HH is still serving that roll as an excellent introduction to big historical events.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Appoda posted:

Still killed me every time he said "Shogunite" tho.

Ack, same here.

I just finished it this morning. Good episode, a ton of stuff I didn't know. Looking forward to part 2.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Appoda posted:

Good eppo; I hope he gets into Japanese society throughout the war and what came after
Same here. Until recently, I thought the fascist culture of Japan and Germany just sort of "shattered" and everyone sort of broke free from that sort of hyper-militarism the second the treaties were signed. In Postwar, by Tony Judt, I learned that German society really broke down after the war. But it didn't break down the way Western countries hoped. A fair amount of the population still held strong Nazi beliefs, and a few attempts at de-nazification actually pushed more people towards Nazism. Then in the coming years and decades, everyone just tried to sweep it under the rug and tried ignoring that little part of history as they drank the consumerist koolade.

I really have no idea how post-war Japan society handled all this. It's gotta be wild living through the regime changes and vastly different societal structures that came with them. Semi unrelated but I found some old porcelain plates at an antique store and underneath them read "MADE IN OCCUPIED JAPAN". That had to be an uncomfortable reminder at the time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

buglord posted:

Same here. Until recently, I thought the fascist culture of Japan and Germany just sort of "shattered" and everyone sort of broke free from that sort of hyper-militarism the second the treaties were signed. In Postwar, by Tony Judt, I learned that German society really broke down after the war. But it didn't break down the way Western countries hoped. A fair amount of the population still held strong Nazi beliefs, and a few attempts at de-nazification actually pushed more people towards Nazism. Then in the coming years and decades, everyone just tried to sweep it under the rug and tried ignoring that little part of history as they drank the consumerist koolade.

I really have no idea how post-war Japan society handled all this. It's gotta be wild living through the regime changes and vastly different societal structures that came with them. Semi unrelated but I found some old porcelain plates at an antique store and underneath them read "MADE IN OCCUPIED JAPAN". That had to be an uncomfortable reminder at the time.

yeah, its a depressing thing. you can't really kill poo poo like fascism least not completely. you can banish it for awhile but eventualy it will come back :(

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buglord posted:

I'm reading Postwar right now, real good.

And yeah the de-nazification stuff was interesting. In Germany it was lighter than in almost all other countries. It may have been imposed on Germany, except that Europe's economy after the war was in tatters, and it was clear that France in particular needed a functioning (west)Germany to recover. And since full de-nazification would have resulted in almost anyone of influence, and certainly anybody connected to industry, being purged, it simply wasn't done.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'd love a program that talks about 20th century Latin America or even fascist Spain and/or Portugal. The US backed regimes really did a number on those nations, and even now people are actually kinda ambivalent when it comes to fascism.

I'm reading La Fiesta del Chivo and while it's fiction it's insight on Trujillo is great.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, its a depressing thing. you can't really kill poo poo like fascism least not completely. you can banish it for awhile but eventualy it will come back :(

You're literally arguing for the immortality of fascism. This is what fascists want you to believe.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'd love a program that talks about 20th century Latin America or even fascist Spain and/or Portugal. The US backed regimes really did a number on those nations, and even now people are actually kinda ambivalent when it comes to fascism.

I'm reading La Fiesta del Chivo and while it's fiction it's insight on Trujillo is great.

The book "Open Veins of Latin America" got recommended to me in the past, but I've never read it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The BBC podcast In Our Time is good for its breadth of topics across science and the social. But the breathy host irks me. Is there any comparable podcasts? Bonus points for not being the QI companion podcast x

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

The BBC podcast In Our Time is good for its breadth of topics across science and the social. But the breathy host irks me. Is there any comparable podcasts? Bonus points for not being the QI companion podcast x

Melvyn Bragg is completely insufferable as an interviewer.

The format is a lot more open and in terms of topics, it's more pop science than history but I really enjoy "The Infinite Monkey Cage". They get excellent guests.

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 27, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, yes. He's not great. BUT don't you love how stuffy and how very, very British he is?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Well, yes. He's not great. BUT don't you love how stuffy and how very, very British he is?

I've got Karl Pilkington for that.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

PerilPastry posted:

I've got Karl Pilkington for that.

Yeah but he’s not a Baron is he

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How much time is there in between Carlin episodes because I need to hear the next episode of supernova in the east!!!!!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

buglord posted:

How much time is there in between Carlin episodes because I need to hear the next episode of supernova in the east!!!!!

If you impregnated a woman when the first episode was released, there's a 50/50 chance you would meet your child first.

Edit: forgot a word

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 27, 2018

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

PerilPastry posted:

Melvyn Bragg is completely insufferable as an interviewer.

Look man don’t make me fight you over this again

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Spoeank posted:

If you impregnated a woman the first episode was released, there's a 50/50 chance you would meet your child first.

This is not a joke, btw.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'm guessing from the multiple !!!! that the above poster is making a funny, though someone should issue Dan "the pregnant challenge." If he wins, he gets to name the baby after his favorite boxer.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
If that’s the case then I’m glad I got into Carlin as late as I did because I would have gone mad waiting for the WW1 series to slowly make its way out.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

webmeister posted:

Yeah but he’s not a Baron is he
The only mark of nobility I recognize is if you have a head like a loving orange.

WEH posted:

Look man don’t make me fight you over this again
Ha! Fair enough.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

buglord posted:

If that’s the case then I’m glad I got into Carlin as late as I did because I would have gone mad waiting for the WW1 series to slowly make its way out.

It took about a year and a half for all of that series to come out which is pretty good for him. 4-6 months per episode is pretty standard.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Honestly, hosting In Our Time well is a loving impossible task, and Bragg does it as well as anyone could.

Tbf, pet peeve: because he understands maths and science less well than he understands history, etc., he does get impatient on the science-y eps faster than the others, but that's probably right for a general audience.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

GraPar posted:

Honestly, hosting In Our Time well is a loving impossible task, and Bragg does it as well as anyone could.

I'm sure someone else could host without wheezing into the goddamn mic, which would already be an infinitely better improvement over Bragg.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

buglord posted:

He said something about getting a few videos out in quick succession, but I wouldn't bet on it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm sure someone else could host without wheezing into the goddamn mic, which would already be an infinitely better improvement over Bragg.

I'm waiting for the episode where he dies on air. I was with you and didn't care for Bragg until a) BBC extended the length of the program and b) I heard the chromatography episode.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN
I need to know this is real and I'm not crazy. Does anyone else find that Mike Duncan has just the slightest habit of inappropriately emphasizing random words in his script, and enunciating his words much too carefully, like a person who learned human speech from a manual? I can't help getting the impression that he doesn't have any clue what good narration actually entails, and is just mashing the emphasis buttons as hard as he can. When you notice it, it becomes intolerable and I had to drop the podcast.

I dunno. Maybe I just have misophonia or something. Carlin and Bolelli have their weaknesses but at least stilted diction isn't one of them.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm afraid to tell you that Mike Duncan talks normally and that you are crazy.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

immolationsex posted:

I need to know this is real and I'm not crazy. Does anyone else find that Mike Duncan has just the slightest habit of inappropriately emphasizing random words in his script, and enunciating his words much too carefully, like a person who learned human speech from a manual? I can't help getting the impression that he doesn't have any clue what good narration actually entails, and is just mashing the emphasis buttons as hard as he can. When you notice it, it becomes intolerable and I had to drop the podcast.

I dunno. Maybe I just have misophonia or something. Carlin and Bolelli have their weaknesses but at least stilted diction isn't one of them.

You're crazy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

immolationsex posted:

sorry, man, but you're crazy.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Yeah, I've never had an issue with how Mike talks.

immolationsex posted:

Maybe I just have misophonia or something.

Oh well there's the problem, you've got soup in your ears!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Misophonia, me love you long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

immolationsex posted:

yeah I think I know what you mean, but this is mike duncan fanboi land, so gl