Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
i think if there's one thing we can all agree on in this kerfuffle, its that tatooine & jakku are canonically the same place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

No it is not. Nowhere on screen does anyone or anything EVER say "this is a renamed Tatooine". It is explicitly a different planet. Named Jakku. Not Tatooine. Watch the loving film maybe?

1) People don’t say things onscreen, except in the case of subtitles. You are thinking of audio.

2) Nobody EVER says that the New Republic is a renamed Republic. Therefore, according to your logic, there must be two simultaneously-existing Republics. Same with that Sith planet mentioned a while ago.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lmao at that new redtext

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

1) People don’t say things onscreen, except in the case of subtitles. You are thinking of audio.

2) Nobody EVER says that the New Republic is a renamed Republic. Therefore, according to your logic, there must be two simultaneously-existing Republics.

Ah so you watch all your films on mute then. That explains a LOT.

Also, please rewatch Revenge of the Sith sometime. Might help you understand what happened to the Republic.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hat Thoughts posted:

i think if there's one thing we can all agree on in this kerfuffle, its that tatooine & jakku are canonically the same place

This

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Lmao at that new redtext

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just wanted to post about Star Wars. Things were going so well. Why is this happening?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I just wanted to post about Star Wars. Things were going so well. Why is this happening?

canon

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bongo Bill posted:

All of these posts are about Star Wars.

Hat Thoughts posted:

That’s my understanding as well. Thanks for the clarification everyone!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Star Wars

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

agreed

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So...on news ACTUALLY about Star Wars...I'm really thrilled to see how focused things are on the Prequel era in the coming months. Clone Wars content in Battlefront 2, a dozen more Clone Wars episodes, a Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan novel, a Padmé novel....I think all that's left on my PT wishlist is a Clone Wars era book for the RPG.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is Star Wars canon?

LIke do they ever describe any of the battles in the actual films as "star wars?"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I've seen some embarrassing goon meltdowns in my time but holy goddamn lol

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Lmao at that new redtext

i think he just really needed to get rid of that :10bux: maybe it was cursed or something

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Is Star Wars canon?

LIke do they ever describe any of the battles in the actual films as "star wars?"

According to The Story Group there are no stars who are currently at war at the time of Episode VIII but that doesn't mean we won't see those stories told sometime in the future.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

please rewatch Revenge of the Sith sometime. Might help you understand what happened to the Republic.

The Republic was not renamed The New Republic in the movie Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

:hmmyes:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Lmao at that new redtext

Jivjov has some money to burn

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

jivjov posted:

So...on news ACTUALLY about Star Wars...I'm really thrilled to see how focused things are on the Prequel era in the coming months. Clone Wars content in Battlefront 2, a dozen more Clone Wars episodes, a Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan novel, a Padmé novel....I think all that's left on my PT wishlist is a Clone Wars era book for the RPG.

Why do you want these things? Is it because you think they are good and enjoyable products in their own right? If so, why is the most significant thing you have to share about them in your post the point on a totally fictional timeline they ascribe themselves to?

ps jivjov im pretty sure your toxxes are pointless because nobody wants to see a consistently entertaining poster get banned

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

Ideology

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Seems like business as usual in the CD Star Wars thread to me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Last Jedi

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

It's wild that someone replaced your brain with a machine that lights up and makes cash register sounds whenever a new Star Wars© product is released.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lmao at that new redtext

this has to be one of the best meltdowns in CD history

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
this is like TobleroneTriangular (PBUH) all over again

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

this is like TobleroneTriangular (PBUH) all over again

I’m pretty sure it’s the same person.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

jivjov posted:

No it is not. Nowhere is Jakku established to be Tatooine. Stop loving lying to people and acting like you're some kind of film watching demigod because of it. It's not funny anymore. You know you're doing it too.

Tbqh it gets funnier with every page

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

jivjov posted:

I'm chillin out about to watch the OWL Grand Finals; I'm having a great time.

I’m starting to think it wasn’t true that jivjov was having a great time.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 28, 2018

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Does anyone in the sequel trilogy ever say the words “PLANET Jakku”?

Because the opening crawl just says “to Jakku.” Jakku could easily be a place on Tattooine.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jivjov is unquestionably the gimmick account this thread deserves. My compliments to the author, quality work

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
People in this thread don't know the difference between Tunisia and Abu Dhabi. No wonder Trump is President

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m starting to think it wasn’t true that jivjov was having a great time.

Philly lost the first match....but they can still make a comeback today.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Jivjov is unquestionably the gimmick account this thread deserves. My compliments to the author, quality work

What "gimmick"?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Why do you want these things? Is it because you think they are good and enjoyable products in their own right? If so, why is the most significant thing you have to share about them in your post the point on a totally fictional timeline they ascribe themselves to?

ps jivjov im pretty sure your toxxes are pointless because nobody wants to see a consistently entertaining poster get banned

I'm excited for these products because I like having more Star Wars stories, and I'm excited about them being in the PT era because up til now the new canon hasn't touched a whole lot on the Prequels. Seeing those characters again, having more stories with them....it's a good time to be a Star Wars fan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Is Star Wars canon?

Yeah, there's that guy in A New Hope (?) who says, "I'm so sick of all these Star Wars."

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm now imagining a star wars franchise where every planet is one planet. its just different biomes and continents. but they still go up to space to pewpew

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lampsacus posted:

I'm now imagining a star wars franchise where every planet is one planet. its just different biomes and continents. but they still go up to space to pewpew

That’s exactly what happens in Star Wars :confused:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I wonder if JJ will keep up with the somewhat Martin Luther-esque themes of the end of The Last Jedi. I think the emergence of a type of Protestant Reformation would be a great way to upend the existing power structures in Star Wars and lead to something radical and new. I love the idea of Rey taking the Jedi texts, translating them into the vernacular, and then distributing them with the permission to interpret them however you please. The resulting spasm would upend everything and would create a fractal-like series of schisms.... Calvinists...Anabaptists... etc.

That horrifically corny concluding shot of TLJ seems to be hinting at some type of democratization of the force, but the reformation shows that that type of democratization is incredibly messy, and can result in absolute chaos.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jewmanji posted:

I wonder if JJ will keep up with the somewhat Martin Luther-esque themes of the end of The Last Jedi. I think the emergence of a type of Protestant Reformation would be a great way to upend the existing power structures in Star Wars and lead to something radical and new. I love the idea of Rey taking the Jedi texts, translating them into the vernacular, and then distributing them with the permission to interpret them however you please. The resulting spasm would upend everything and would create a fractal-like series of schisms.... Calvinists...Anabaptists... etc.

That horrifically corny concluding shot of TLJ seems to be hinting at some type of democratization of the force, but the reformation shows that that type of democratization is incredibly messy, and can result in absolute chaos.

I hope this is the case because you can see they were toying with that even when Force Awakens was being made and in Rogue One also a bit. None of it made it into Force Awakens but Max von Sydow ran The Church of the Force and the idea was that in the wake of the legend of Luke Skywalker that had grown and then him disappearing there were now a lot of various religious groups and bands of force using people or people who just worshipped the force without really trying to figure it out. A bunch of small new orders were a thing instead of there just being Jedi and Sith that each had their own take on how the force "works" and Darth Vader's helmet/lightsaber was to be one of a few, like artifacts people interested in the force would want to seek out to try to learn more about it/to have prestige like the relic industry in medieval Europe.

I haven't read the novel or comic tie-ins but IIRC they use some of that in those but it'd be cool if they actually went that way more in the movie itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell, if G.R.R. Martin can re-write the Wars of the Roses with the names crossed out, Star Wars can do the same with the Thirty Years’ War