Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

If this thread was representative of Sweden (lol) roughly 1/4 of the male posters (ie most on SA) would be SD supporters. Whereas I would estimate this thread to contain on the order of 90% V voters.

I'm a V politician as of last year, does that count? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
congratulations!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

MiddleOne posted:

Is this true? If so, that's awesome.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It's amazing that people are still willing to do the old "Please define racism" song and dance with Nils ten years on. There is literally no configuration of words that will do the job.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

What's your view of V from the inside? Be honest :v:

On an unrelated note, today I got a letter from Centerpartiet with voting slips.
In England.

Went straight to the bin

SplitSoul posted:

It's amazing that people are still willing to do the old "Please define racism" song and dance with Nils ten years on. There is literally no configuration of words that will do the job.

Imo the problem is that there are legitimate issues with the immigration policy (in Sweden at least) but that until recently the only party that seemed to talk about it was SD. They cornered the market on being critical of immigration and when inevitable complications arise from accepting as many people as Sweden has it legitimizes SD in the eyes of the voters. If you strongly feel that the immigration policy is a failure then it's not so strange you'd vote for the party that has been the loudest about how bad it is, especially considering that both blocks are responsible for how the situation looks now.

The flipside to that of course is that SD is a racist party, and if you are a racist they're your go to guys, and in my head I keep thinking that there's a difference between the guy who has legit grievances about immigration and the racist yokel, but if the end effect is that they empower racists, does intent matter?

Beeswax posted:

Sweden has immigration-related problems, but SD is the worst equipped bunch to solve them.

Also, I did an internship with V in my old home municipality as part of my degree. It was about what you would expect. Good ideals, pragmatic local politicians, overall good bunch.

Well yes, just looking at their LGBT plank is enough to convince me they're run by malicious bigots, and giving them any real power to ostensibly "fix" immigration is delusional at best, but people have little faith in the other parties, which is why they in desperation turn to the quacks and snake oil salespeople.

Just curious, which municipality was it, if you don't mind me asking?

McCloud fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 23, 2018

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sweden has immigration-related problems, but SD is the worst equipped bunch to solve them.

Also, I did an internship with V in my old home municipality as part of my degree. It was about what you would expect. Good ideals, pragmatic local politicians, overall good bunch.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McCloud posted:

What's your view of V from the inside? Be honest :v:

Filled with way more sympathetic and capable people than I expected when I originally joined up.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

Filled with way more sympathetic and capable people than I expected when I originally joined up.

Are you on the ballot?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

McCloud posted:

Imo the problem is that there are legitimate issues with the immigration policy (in Sweden at least) but that until recently the only party that seemed to talk about it was SD. They cornered the market on being critical of immigration and when inevitable complications arise from accepting as many people as Sweden has it legitimizes SD in the eyes of the voters. If you strongly feel that the immigration policy is a failure then it's not so strange you'd vote for the party that has been the loudest about how bad it is, especially considering that both blocks are responsible for how the situation looks now.

This is along the same lines as the excuse people are fielding in Denmark, "Oh, nobody could say peep about immigration in the '90s without being called racist and worse, that's why they won and the only reasonable course of action now is to overbid the racists on the racism". It's empirically untrue. The parliamentary racists were openly pushing for ethnic cleansing and opposed to the very concept of integration back then, while the establishment parties were trying more measured policies - until the Social Democrats implemented the most restrictive change since 1973, before the racists even had any real power, and no measure has come close since.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Potrzebie posted:

Are you on the ballot?

On the ballot, highly unlikely to not have a seat after the election.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I had you pegged as S or MP, since you have shown more understanding of the parliamentary process than the common poster here.
As well as having a more cynical view of politics in general, compared to the more idealistic usually seen for V.
Or maybe you are making a career move and joining V since they are on an upward path?

McCloud posted:

Two things to keep in mind about SD.
1. Politics is a game of trust and SD is the most trusted party when it comes to immigration. Which is readily obvious given the swing that S&M have done in immigration without the subsequent rise in polls.
2. SD have in the last 4 years spent a whole lot of time and money on broadening their politics and are now making inroads among those who wonders why they pay tax and get nothing. They are now transforming from a party focused on immigration to a true populist party.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think V has any shortage of cynics these days, especially if we'd start talking climate change. :v:

I think I mentioned in the last thread that I campaigned for S back in both elections of 2014. Like a lot of former social democrats I grew disenfranchised with the party through these last few years due to the many failings and course changes made by the government.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

This is along the same lines as the excuse people are fielding in Denmark, "Oh, nobody could say peep about immigration in the '90s without being called racist and worse, that's why they won and the only reasonable course of action now is to overbid the racists on the racism". It's empirically untrue. The parliamentary racists were openly pushing for ethnic cleansing and opposed to the very concept of integration back then, while the establishment parties were trying more measured policies - until the Social Democrats implemented the most restrictive change since 1973, before the racists even had any real power, and no measure has come close since.

I can't speak for Denmark, but for Sweden that was pretty much the case. The ĺsiktskorridor was a thing up until...3-4 years ago? Just a few years ago the migration secretary Tobias Bilström wanted to reduce the number of immigrants the country takes in and was savaged for it in the press. The unwillingness to change or criticize the immigration system is what allowed SD to enter a win win situation. Either you debate SD, where they play(prey?) on xenophobia and appeal to baser instincts, and where they can criticize the ruling parties for the problems caused by their policies, or you ignore them and they fester like a disease.

I used to think that you could just face them in debates and show them for what they are, but I've come to realize that's a fools game. The more exposure you give their ideals, the more it spreads.

Cardiac posted:

I had you pegged as S or MP, since you have shown more understanding of the parliamentary process than the common poster here.
As well as having a more cynical view of politics in general, compared to the more idealistic usually seen for V.
Or maybe you are making a career move and joining V since they are on an upward path?

Two things to keep in mind about SD.
1. Politics is a game of trust and SD is the most trusted party when it comes to immigration. Which is readily obvious given the swing that S&M have done in immigration without the subsequent rise in polls.
2. SD have in the last 4 years spent a whole lot of time and money on broadening their politics and are now making inroads among those who wonders why they pay tax and get nothing. They are now transforming from a party focused on immigration to a true populist party.

Their "broadening" is just stealing the party plank of other parties though, and I think people are still savvy enough to know they have little to offer besides hatorade against brown people. At least for now.

MiddleOne posted:

I don't think V has any shortage of cynics these days, especially if we'd start talking climate change. :v:

I think I mentioned in the last thread that I campaigned for S back in both elections of 2014. Like a lot of former social democrats I grew disenfranchised with the party through these last few years due to the many failings and course changes made by the government.

I have this impression that S are more concerned about their careers than anything else. Same with M. Not sure how true that is. V is the party with more passionate people who actually care, but some of them have some real weird ideas about some poo poo.

Imo.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

On the ballot, highly unlikely to not have a seat after the election.

On what level? I'd vote goon for Stockholm :D

E: I guess you might not want to answer that, considering it would open up to doxxing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

McCloud posted:

I can't speak for Denmark, but for Sweden that was pretty much the case. The ĺsiktskorridor was a thing up until...3-4 years ago? Just a few years ago the migration secretary Tobias Bilström wanted to reduce the number of immigrants the country takes in and was savaged for it in the press. The unwillingness to change or criticize the immigration system is what allowed SD to enter a win win situation. Either you debate SD, where they play(prey?) on xenophobia and appeal to baser instincts, and where they can criticize the ruling parties for the problems caused by their policies, or you ignore them and they fester like a disease.

I used to think that you could just face them in debates and show them for what they are, but I've come to realize that's a fools game. The more exposure you give their ideals, the more it spreads.

Seems like it's basically a play-by-play of the past 20 years of Danish politics with a slight delay. We've arrived at no-poo poo legal apartheid for poor immigrants, "third-generation" and all, less than 20 years later.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

McCloud posted:

Their "broadening" is just stealing the party plank of other parties though, and I think people are still savvy enough to know they have little to offer besides hatorade against brown people. At least for now.

Stealing the politics of other parties is politics 101. As example see S first decrying and then adopting Ms proposals the last couple of years.
Only extreme ideological parties that refuse to adopt doesn’t do that.
Also, apparently 20% of the population doesn’t see it that way.

McCloud posted:

I have this impression that S are more concerned about their careers than anything else. Same with M. Not sure how true that is. V is the party with more passionate people who actually care, but some of them have some real weird ideas about some poo poo.

Well, M have always treated their party leader as a CEO, where political failure means he/she gets kicked out. For M focusing on the political career is not necessarily a bad thing as it goes hand in hand with the party mentality.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

M in Stockholm veritably see profiteering off politics as a virtue.

Potrzebie posted:

On what level? I'd vote goon for Stockholm :D

E: I guess you might not want to answer that, considering it would open up to doxxing.

Fun fact: Personal campaigning, such as asking people to vote for your name, is actually grounds for exclusion in V. :v:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 24, 2018

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Fun fact: Personal campaigning, such as asking people to vote for your name, is actually grounds for exclusion in V. :v:

Which is kinda fun considering V is a collectivist party full of individualists.

Also, given history the policy is kinda obvious since the left have long been pioneers in entryism. I guess that is also one reason why V haven’t had the same issue with islamists as all the other parties have had.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Congrats, if you're on the national ballot you'll be getting a vote from me

Being an overseas swede makes it hard to keep up with politics, since all the newspapers seem hell-bent on paywalling all the news.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

Huh. Well, that might be the best policy regarding that issue; or the worst. I have no idea what impact personröstning has had apart from Nazis abusing empty lists to win local seats.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I'm more of a Giáp guy than Pol Pot, but thanks for the av.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
You know that you are a lovely communist dictator if the US are prepared to back you up.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Potrzebie posted:

I'm more of a Giáp guy than Pol Pot, but thanks for the av.

Haha I have so many questions

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I feel left out :(

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Retarded Goatee posted:

You know that you are a lovely communist dictator if the US are prepared to back you up.

And Kim Il-Sung and most of the international community until 1993, because a retardedly genocidal racist death cult is surely preferable to the Reds.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

Just curious, which municipality was it, if you don't mind me asking?

Uppsala

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Florian has always seemed like a cool guy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just in case you didn't think that Scandinavia is a segregated society:
https://twitter.com/KriseKarro/status/1022455091960406016

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So she didn't get to start her masters due to being suicidal?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Outsider here, why is so much of european politics so heavily focused on migrants right now? What percentage of the population do they form in scandinavia, and isn't the constant focus on them drowning out discussion on economic issues?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

mila kunis posted:

Outsider here, why is so much of european politics so heavily focused on migrants right now? What percentage of the population do they form in scandinavia, and isn't the constant focus on them drowning out discussion on economic issues?

Populists are desperate for anything to rally the docile masses against, and immigrants are what they always fall back on.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

mila kunis posted:

and isn't the constant focus on them drowning out discussion on economic issues literally anything else ?

Correct

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

mila kunis posted:

It's something like 5% in reality, but you'd think it was at least 30 going by public discourse.

It's at least in part due to the rise in populist and nativist parties. The center parties see racist rhetoric scoring tons of votes, and want to get a slice of that cake. And apparently doing so garners more votes than it costs them, so they keep it up. Plus it's a handy fall-back for issues you'd rather not talk about, like how the nativist and liberal parties in Denmark have a climate policy that boils down to "ignore it, it'll fix itself eventually."

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's something like 5% in reality, but you'd think it was at least 30 going by public discourse.

17% in Sweden are foreign born.
Immigration rates, primarily asylum seekers, have per capita been the highest in EU with roughly 4x the average since the 80s. Among the highest numbers in EU counting the absolute numbers.
So, yeah, it is not a small thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cardiac posted:

17% in Sweden are foreign born.
Immigration rates, primarily asylum seekers, have per capita been the highest in EU with roughly 4x the average since the 80s. Among the highest numbers in EU counting the absolute numbers.
So, yeah, it is not a small thing.

Included in those 17% are people from all over, including the US, Asia, Europe and even Scandinavia. The Middle Eastern and African people are a minority.

The ridiculous fearmongering over the DANGEROUS BROWN HORDES COMING TO STEAL OUR JOBS WHILE BEING LAZY ON BENEFITS AND WEARING STRANGE CLOTHING is absolutely idiotic and appeals to the lowest forms of xenophobic fear and hate.

The reason why we're seeing more asylum seekers is because we've been loving over their countries with wars for decades.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Included in those 17% are people from all over, including the US, Asia, Europe and even Scandinavia. The Middle Eastern and African people are a minority.

The ridiculous fearmongering over the DANGEROUS BROWN HORDES COMING TO STEAL OUR JOBS WHILE BEING LAZY ON BENEFITS AND WEARING STRANGE CLOTHING is absolutely idiotic and appeals to the lowest forms of xenophobic fear and hate.

The reason why we're seeing more asylum seekers is because we've been loving over their countries with wars for decades.

By "we" you mean the US? It's unfair to blame most european countries for that.

But regardless of who's at fault, it's weird to see such a big hubub if refugees are such a tiny portion of the population.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mila kunis posted:

The right wing needs a scapegoat to distract from how they've hosed the rest of us over.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

So she didn't get to start her masters due to being suicidal?

No, she didn't get to start her masters due to the school thinking that trans people are icky.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the migration issue in scandinavia is actually fairly interesting, because it illustrates how the reigning ideologies have shifted

curiously, right-wing populism has manifested very differently in the different countries; what they have in common is a refutation of international solidarity being a Thing. this used to mean a hard line against foreign aid, and now means fundamental opposition to the refugee convention of 1951

basically, right-wing populism in scandinavia tends to reflect that we are now, collectively, rich combined with the not-unreasonable observation that nobody ever got richer through sharing. if you're still insecure in some way despite all this collective wealth, that's a fairly potent argument.

add to this baseline populism re: common-sense and all the outright racists and you have a winner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mila kunis posted:

By "we" you mean the US? It's unfair to blame most european countries for that.

Most European countries gladly jumped in and whole-heartedly supported the US.