Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/adamgartrell/status/1023160003979431937

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Does anyone know anything about vaping?

Antony Green has just mentioned the Liberal Democrats are in second place behind Labor in Fremantle, and pointed out that they had been campaigning on a vaping platform. Too early to say whether that will pay off.

https://twitter.com/LibDemWA/status/1022361344371089408

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What the Longman result proves is that Queensland is slowly embracing progressive agendas to become the progressive capital of Australia. After Victoria turns blue and New South Wales fall further into darkness it is the Sunshine State that will light the way for the rest of the country. Wayne Swan is going to be ALP President, the Queensland State Government looks set for a 100 year reign and Bill Shorten will be Prime Minister all thanks to Queensland and comparative to Turnbull all of the above is a good thing for this country.

Queensland is strong, it is growing stronger and so am I.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Dutton's going to have to challenge, because he's going to lose his seat otherwise/anyway. The ALP have got a 4% swing to them, in a seat all the media was saying they only got last time because of Whyatt Roy. And that seat is next door to Dutton.

Shortan has a complete victory here. The Media will report that it was completely expected that the opposition would win and there's no reason whatsoever that any fuss be made about it. And also, if Albo was leader, they would have won more!

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 28, 2018

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I am reminded of an anecdote from media studies about the propaganda in the papers promoting conscription in the lead up to the conscription referendum, which was ultimately lost because people (rightfully) thought about their own families. The liberal party hosed up by pushing too many changes that have invoked those priorities again.

That old lady on the news talking about her granddaughter getting turbo hosed by penalty rates changes is a good example.

It's also a vote right on the heels of the new childcare system which hosed over so many people in the implementation, and the bonus side effect of souring liberal voters who were crying poor about the means testing. Oh, and the HECS changes. And the low-middle income offset that's disproportionate in favor of upper middle. And everything else.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

stupid country

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There's a lot going on in this picture.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

So is this a light-hearted act of sabotage by the opposition or did they really put up that 90% sign? I've been thinking about it for a good two minutes and I still can't figure out what's more probable.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't even realise that wasn't part of the original sign until you brought up the possibility it wasn't

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
i have to say labor run a good game on polling day

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
its not even a lie either

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Comstar posted:

Dutton's going to have to challenge, because he's going to lose his seat otherwise/anyway. The ALP have got a 4% swing to them, in a seat all the media was saying they only got last time because of Whyatt Roy. And that seat is next door to Dutton.

Shortan has a complete victory here. The Media will report that it was completely expected that the opposition would win and there's no reason whatsoever that any fuss be made about it. And also, if Albo was leader, they would have won more!

You are absolutely correct. Dutton must spill to survive.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Can't... Read... that tiny frickin' writing at the bottom of the sign...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Starshark posted:

So is this a light-hearted act of sabotage by the opposition or did they really put up that 90% sign? I've been thinking about it for a good two minutes and I still can't figure out what's more probable.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjK49L4UYAAUI3O.jpg:large

In the original you can see the authorization message for the labor party.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ALP Psy Ops

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I want to hotglue that cardboard pauline.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Surprised it's that low

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Surprised it's that low

(As a One Nation MP I was defending myself in court the other 10% of the time)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/sniff_off/status/1022809568902955008

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

even when labor loses shorten shows up. malcolm pulled a hillary tonight

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
ABC live election blog said:

quote:

Longman results 'very, very bad', Liberals admit

A federal Liberal minister has texted to say the results in Longman are "very, very bad".

The party's primary vote has collapsed about 10 per cent, to just 26 per cent. Labor's primary vote was up almost 4.5 per cent.

Overall there is a two-party preferred swing to Labor of about 4 per cent, on the current count.

"When you lose your primary vote, you lose control of your destiny," the minister said.

They also said while there might not be consequences for Malcolm Turnbull's leadership, "who he takes political and strategic advice from will need adjusting"

Perhaps, more from Tony Abbott perchance? Emphases mine.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ewe2 posted:

Journalists repeating the line that the West Australian campaign was "flying under the radar"; yeah because you weren't interested.

It’s flying under the radar because there literally isn’t a campaign, it’s a rubber stamping exercise for the two ALP candidates

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bill "How does he keep winning?" Shorten

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

Bill "How does he keep winning?" Shorten

This is you and News Corp nowadays.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

You are absolutely correct. Dutton must spill to survive.
is he smart enough to know that

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bowmore posted:

is he smart enough to know that

He's ambitious enough.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

So it seems like the currently less popular party did not pick up any new seats :shrug:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Comstar posted:

ABC live election blog said:

Perhaps, more from Tony Abbott perchance? Emphases mine.

It's a long bow

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

I want to hotglue that cardboard pauline.

that's gross

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lol Liberals and Turnbull

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Tasker economy working fine...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ah...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

What now libtards?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

What now libtards?

Guillotine

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

Voted labor in Braddon today drove out blaring Tucker’s daughter full volume gently caress em all

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
ROFL 8.3% and 9.3% swings to the ALP in WA.

It's almost like manipulating polls and running on an imaginary narrative doesn't actually change the results when you're already hosed.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

LNP didn't run candidates in WA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
yeah the devastating one for lnp was longman where they got a complete trash primary vote

• Locked thread